Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Statue madness

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

A madman has attacked a statue outside the BBC as police look on and do nothing. Apparently the man who made the statue was a sex abuser. We don't know if that was the motive but this madness will go on and on... It's all over the news..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I hope the statue makes a speedy recovery

over a year ago

Maybe he was a happy man with a few grievances from past trauma?

By *iss KissWoman
over a year ago

near Coventry

Yeah the guy who created it was a pedophile. I can't say I am bothered that another guy took a hammer to it. I've seen the statue and I don't like the nudity considering the creator was a pedophile.

By *iss KissWoman
over a year ago

near Coventry

"Maybe he was a happy man with a few grievances from past trauma? "

That was my first thought. That, or he knew someone who was.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Is a tricky one Tom. If we look throughout history most landmarks are tainted by human suffering of some sort or another

over a year ago

I'm starting to believe we only ever made statues for c**ts in this country!

over a year ago

Probably a good idea if we dont make one of boris

By *innocentMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

That statue should have been removed many years ago . The sculptor wrote in great detail of the sexual deviancy he undertook on his poor children.

over a year ago

I think all statues involved in Noncery, or oppression of people should be pulled down. We barely know anything about them anyways so don’t get why people get so upset when they’re damaged. We can create new statues.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

How should the Police have got him down?

over a year ago

"Yeah the guy who created it was a pedophile. I can't say I am bothered that another guy took a hammer to it. I've seen the statue and I don't like the nudity considering the creator was a pedophile. "

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Statues are just not safe on our streets anymore.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"How should the Police have got him down? "

They should have done what the Dutch do. Got a water cannon and blasted the bigger. It would have cleaned the statue too

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Strange to think that the bbc has a statue created by a self-confessed pedo at their door…..

I mean they don’t rerun Jim’ll Fix It (and the bbc will repeat ANYTHING) or play Gary Glitter songs on the radio….

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Strange to think that the bbc has a statue created by a self-confessed pedo at their door…..

I mean they don’t rerun Jim’ll Fix It (and the bbc will repeat ANYTHING) or play Gary Glitter songs on the radio….

"

But they still play Michael Jackson...

over a year ago

"I'm starting to believe we only ever made statues for c**ts in this country!"

over a year ago

"Strange to think that the bbc has a statue created by a self-confessed pedo at their door…..

But they still play Michael Jackson... "

People also still watch films by Roman Polanski

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

But they still play Michael Jackson... "

Never proven guilty.

Whereas the creator of the bbc statue wrote extensively of his horrific crimes against children (including his own daughters) in his diaries

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

The thing I've noticed about statues of famous historical figures is that they all had a pigeon on their head.

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

It should be taken down. Bloody offensive.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"How should the Police have got him down?

They should have done what the Dutch do. Got a water cannon and blasted the bigger. It would have cleaned the statue too"

Boris got some water cannons when he was Mayor at a premium price. Teresa May denied approval for their use so they were sold at a loss.

So no water cannons to wash the noncey statue.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

A statue spokesstatue said they’re staying put..

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"It should be taken down. Bloody offensive."

I agree that the statue should not sit outside the entrance to a public building. Certainly one that provides entertainment for children

Whether the statue should exist at all is a greater debate, we cannot cancel art because of the abhorrent actions of the artist, or can we? Given the nature of this man’s crimes and the actual representation in the statue, I think this piece feels like it’s almost gloating.

It’s challenging because I don’t think we should whitewash our history but nor should we celebrate it. Normally I am against tearing statues down and I am for providing further context to the statues with plaques stating who they were. But this statue represent an idea and not a person, so it is art and nothing else.

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

No question Op it is tricky.

In a nutshell

When does the behaviour of the creator or the source of funding mean that we should destroy things they facilitated? Do other people today have a *right* to destroy such things arbitrarily?

Own view - how much would we have left if we removed all things - including the money - that came through methods and people we would now judge? Not a lot, in fact practically nothing. Better to be transparent, contextualise (not forget) and heal.

over a year ago

"No question Op it is tricky.

In a nutshell

When does the behaviour of the creator or the source of funding mean that we should destroy things they facilitated? Do other people today have a *right* to destroy such things arbitrarily?

Own view - how much would we have left if we removed all things - including the money - that came through methods and people we would now judge? Not a lot, in fact practically nothing. Better to be transparent, contextualise (not forget) and heal. "

Yeah taken to an extreme we wouldn't have a great deal left.

I think statues are a little clearer in that to me they represent something or someone to be celebrated and continuing to celebrate certain people isn't a great reflection on us.

There are plenty of people in our history that are worthy of being celebrated. Stick those up instead and make them a thing of inspiration, not shame.

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

"No question Op it is tricky.

In a nutshell

Own view - how much would we have left if we removed all things - including the money - that came through methods and people we would now judge? Not a lot, in fact practically nothing. Better to be transparent, contextualise (not forget) and heal.

Yeah taken to an extreme we wouldn't have a great deal left.

I think statues are a little clearer in that to me they represent something or someone to be celebrated and continuing to celebrate certain people isn't a great reflection on us.

There are plenty of people in our history that are worthy of being celebrated. Stick those up instead and make them a thing of inspiration, not shame."

Yes the statue may literally personify the individual at fault - so I do take your point. However there are an awful lot of buildings - public and private - that were massive ego trips for nasty people. My concern is to make sure it is ALL contextualised and discussed as a democracy, not random acts of violence that retrospectively seek justification on court of social media, or a revisionist approach serving a current political agenda.

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

That's sign of the direct effect post traumatic and distress caused by 2 years envolving convid19 lockdowns and restrictions and masks also

By *lairekTV/TS
over a year ago

Manchester

All future statues should be made by robots.

... Except terminators, they are definitely evil.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I hope the statue makes a speedy recovery "

It's in ICU, should have had a booster selfish marble twat.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"It should be taken down. Bloody offensive."

I'm sure the gang of four who did the deed on the Colston statue can do it.

Post new Message to Thread