Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Couch to 5k

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone doing this as a new year fitness challenge.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

No, but I started running last night. I didn't go tonight as my thighs were too tight.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I usually have a shower and sit on the couch after my daily 5k....

Bit of advice that might help newbies to running.

When I came out of running "retirement" I found if I do 10km or so first on road bike as a warm up, my runs go better. I then do 25km or so on bike after the run and it prevents any fatigue or aches from the run. Also see too many people ( mostly men) running in winter wearing shorts. Get those leg muscles covered and keep them warm throughout your run

over a year ago

just downloaded the NHS app and plan to start tomorrow

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"I usually have a shower and sit on the couch after my daily 5k....

When I came out of running "retirement" I found if I do 10km or so first on road bike as a warm up, my runs go better. I then do 25km or so on bike after the run and it prevents any fatigue or aches from the run. Also see too many people ( mostly men) running in winter wearing shorts. Get those leg muscles covered and keep them warm throughout your run "

I'm not at that stage yet as it has been many years since I did any running. I have bought running tights though.

over a year ago

I started couch to 5k at the start of the first lockdown, 60 seconds on and off etc in November I completed my first half marathon. Consistency really is key. Good luck

By *reya73Woman
over a year ago

Whitley Bay

I'm trying to get my 5k up to 10k again. I can comfortably run 5 or 7 but hoping to increase.

I really enjoyed starting and getting to 5... Goodluck everyone! xxx

over a year ago

I see some of us on here can do handstands too....

Good luck doubling that 5k up to 10k. Only 3k off

over a year ago

Quite possibly considering it.

over a year ago

I started new year and got my first two sessions in before I caught the plague so I’ll be restarting after isolation assuming my breathing isn’t too affected

over a year ago

I started running and was doing well for a while until shin splints crept in agony on another level

By *omesticflightMan
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

No, I've graduated past. I saw it work for 2 former partners tho

over a year ago

"just downloaded the NHS app and plan to start tomorrow "

well I guess I need more encouragement still not got out there yet think iam going to have to force myself tomorrow

over a year ago

"just downloaded the NHS app and plan to start tomorrow

well I guess I need more encouragement still not got out there yet think iam going to have to force myself tomorrow "

Go for it, it’s a lot easier than you imagine, just remember to wear a decent sports bra

over a year ago

"just downloaded the NHS app and plan to start tomorrow

well I guess I need more encouragement still not got out there yet think iam going to have to force myself tomorrow

Go for it, it’s a lot easier than you imagine, just remember to wear a decent sports bra "

I know gotta stop making excuses

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

I feel like a real athlete tonight (), 2.1 miles in 20 minutes and about half of it was going up an incline of some sort or another. My thighs are aching though.

over a year ago

I re downloaded it awhile back with the intention of doing it again but haven’t started it yet.

I used to love running in the cold weather so may pick it up this week

over a year ago

"I feel like a real athlete tonight (), 2.1 miles in 20 minutes and about half of it was going up an incline of some sort or another. My thighs are aching though. "

well done

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"I feel like a real athlete tonight (), 2.1 miles in 20 minutes and about half of it was going up an incline of some sort or another. My thighs are aching though.

well done "

Thank you.

over a year ago

An awesome effort to you all, congratulations it's gets easier so I've been told.

over a year ago

Mine triggered off after bumping into a mate I'd not seen in 20 years and he pestered me to do it. I've never done any running and to start at aged 51. I walked first 5k to test it. Then a week later I done but walk. Bit run. 2nd week just thought sod it run till I can't and completed it lol now I love my run,.

over a year ago

"Quite possibly considering it. "

Join me.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"An awesome effort to you all, congratulations it's gets easier so I've been told. "

Tell that to my thighs just now. Lol

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"I started running and was doing well for a while until shin splints crept in agony on another level "

My wife decided to do it and ended up half crippling herself.

over a year ago

"I usually have a shower and sit on the couch after my daily 5k....

When I came out of running "retirement" I found if I do 10km or so first on road bike as a warm up, my runs go better. I then do 25km or so on bike after the run and it prevents any fatigue or aches from the run. Also see too many people ( mostly men) running in winter wearing shorts. Get those leg muscles covered and keep them warm throughout your run "

I'm not entirely convinced that a person following a couch to 5k program is gonna knock out 35k on an exercise bike as a warm up/cool down.

Secondly, I regularly run in shorts. I've just run 110 miles of the Penine Way in winter through rain, snow, ice and waist deep river crossings. Admittedly I wore leggings for this but I'm not convinced that the difference between a pair of shorts or running tights is going to be that great jogging around the streets of Swansea.

Mr

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I’m on week 8 of it now, I’ve surprised myself at how well I’m doing and the pace I’m going. I’m not a natural runner, I had every excuse to get out of going to PE. But I’m actually enjoying it!

Post new Message to Thread