Back to The Lounge

Food Shopping....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How do you do yours?

Do you take a list and stick to it?

If not an online delivery....

Do you put the shopping on the conveyer belt in order of how you'd like to pack it into bags? Or do you just chuck it on messy?

Cold stuff first?

When you bring it home in bags do you put them on the floor and then empty them onto the kitchen side or straight into where it goes?

Do you clean every item before it goes away?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"How do you do yours?

Do you put the shopping on the conveyer belt in order of how you'd like to pack it into bags? Or do you just chuck it on messy?

Cold stuff first?

When you bring it home in bags do you put them on the floor and then empty them onto the kitchen side or straight into where it goes?

"

You've reminded me I need to pop to the shops quickly. In answer to your questions.

In store. Scan as you go, put freezer stuff in one bag, fridge stuff in another, cupboard stuff in a other. Bags on the floor and at least put the fridge and freezer stuff away. No wiping.

over a year ago

Scan n pack myself.

Just chuck it all in any cupboard that’s got space.

Same goes for chilled/frozen.

It’s all a faff.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Put on conveyor how I want to pack. There's a very particular order and I get slightly irked if someone tries to change that (the fiancé). The bags are all sorted to make it easier to put away and I'll have sorted out the fridge freezer before hand so it's just a case of putting things in the right place and telling my partner to make a coffee so he's out of the way.

over a year ago

Just been and done it!

No list and, unbelievably, did NOT visit the Alcohol Dept lol

over a year ago

"Just been and done it!

No list and, unbelievably, did NOT visit the Alcohol Dept lol"

Oh! Missed the conveyor bit fs

Yes!...put thro in order. Tins and stuff that won't get squashed first

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I meal plan, so then write a list based on what I’m planning to cook and pretty much stick o it unless I happen to see a real deal on something then might change a meal idea around and swap a few things out. I put everything away as soon as I get home, but the idea of cleaning anything before putting it away has honestly never occurred to me, and it’s not something I’m going to start doing tbh!

over a year ago

List, plus some impulse buys.

Put down in order of heaviest to lightest, weigh down a couple of bags with the heavy stuff then go round each bag topping it off with lighter stuff. Bread always on top.

Everything gets cleaned with an antibac wipe.

By *UCKiliketofuckMan
over a year ago

kettering

I’m a single guy so just walk about choosing what ever I want poor baskets content on belt swipe the card cary it to my Vdub and smoke on out of there

over a year ago

A list but usually just go and buy what takes my fancy

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Go for one thing, get a basket and try and play basket Tetris with all the things I’ve realised I need. Pack it away as they come off the conveyor belt and then get home and realise I didn’t get the one thing I went for…and repeat

K

By *UCKiliketofuckMan
over a year ago

kettering

Is that a sign or has that always happens to you

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Fruit, veg and meat is from the market and the butcher's. Either goes into a backpack or my old lady shopping trolley - heavy stuff at the bottom.

Other items are from Lidl usually. Always go with a list. All shopping goes back into the trolley to be packed into my old lady shopping trolley at a sedate rate. I try and keep the cold items together. It's about a 15 minute walk from our house so nothing defrosts.

Shopping gets emptied onto the side by overexcited children looking for sweets. Freezer and fridge food goes straight away. Nothing gets wiped down. Ever.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I use an online delivery service once a week but, always end up popping to a supermarket for various bits n bobs and fresh stuff

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I pack the way I'd put it away so there's a definite order.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I should list but I always have a core set of items that I rarely deviate from and only add things I fancy at the time.

I do put them in order on the conveyor belt. Meats first as they provide a good base and then milk as that fits nicely on the side. Everything else can go on top.

Get home and put the bags on the kitchen counter and put the cold stuff away first and then the ambient items in their specified drawers. I don't clean though, is that a thing?

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Alexa manages my shopping list but she doesn't display it in aisle order, which is annoying. I end up walking an extra 1,000 steps, back tracking up aisles.

It goes on the conveyor in cupboard order, heavy and chilled stuff first.

Everything is put away from the bags off the floor.

I prefer to shop at odd times, when it's quiet and I can feel like I've got the store to myself - ahh peace and quiet!

C

over a year ago

"How do you do yours?

Cold stuff first?

"

I do the bulk of mine online so it's only little bits I need to go out for, even with a list I still forget stuff. I'm terrible for getting distracted by things I didn't go out for too. I went out today for about 4 things, came back with 3 very large and full shopping bags

All gets put away straight where it belongs and I've given up cleaning things now.

over a year ago

"I should list but I always have a core set of items that I rarely deviate from and only add things I fancy at the time.

I do put them in order on the conveyor belt. Meats first as they provide a good base and then milk as that fits nicely on the side. Everything else can go on top.

Get home and put the bags on the kitchen counter and put the cold stuff away first and then the ambient items in their specified drawers. I don't clean though, is that a thing?"

Just a habit we got into in lockdown, feels too weird not to do it now. Makes sense though when you think about how many people your stuff gets touched by and how gross the conveyor belts are.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Online shopping x

By *urplechesterCouple
over a year ago

chester

I absolutely hate food shopping and will do anything to get out of it , I have no method of buying or putting away, it’s literally a free for all haha! Whereas mr loves loves it!! Miss pc

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Never ever washed it! x

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I always list or I forget stuff I actually need. I shop backwards and cold stuff is last, I also shop as I go, at home cold stuff goes away and the rest stays in the bags while I have a cuppa

over a year ago

Luckily we started online shops before lockdown.

Don't think I could be bothered to do it the old fashioned way now.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I avoid supermarkets as much as possible these days and just pick up the odd bits I need from the local shop now and again. I know it costs more, but less people in there makes it safer.

over a year ago

Farm shop for all my meat and veg, milk & fresh food.

Bread from birds (derby based confectioners)

Toiletries, cleaning, and run of the mill bits online order.

It works for me i want to know my food is locally sourced, free range, and plastic free.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Mostly delivered to me now except the odd one or two items which I reluctantly go to the shops for.

By *ngelFire2020Couple
over a year ago

Darlington

I kind of wander around aldi and put stuff in the trolley. I try to sort on the belt as you have to be quick at the other end to get it all in in any semblance of order.

Not always a hassle, I bought some milk, bread and a toolbox last week. Where else can you do that

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Mix of online and local supermarket shopping. Used to be very organised with lists but not as much now. Usually buy all non perishable online and fresh products in person. Prefer to buy those on the day or day before needed so are as fresh as possible (not that they are really that fresh). I also go to a nice farm shop not too far where I get lots of stuff as mostly organic and much fresher.

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

Meat from my uncles butcher shop

Fruit/veg box delivered once a week from local farm shop

Other bits/day to day essentials I’ll do online xx

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"Farm shop for all my meat and veg, milk & fresh food.

It works for me i want to know my food is locally sourced, free range, and plastic free. "

Cobs from Birds with chicken soup when I'll is food of the Gods

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"I should list but I always have a core set of items that I rarely deviate from and only add things I fancy at the time.

Get home and put the bags on the kitchen counter and put the cold stuff away first and then the ambient items in their specified drawers. I don't clean though, is that a thing?

Just a habit we got into in lockdown, feels too weird not to do it now. Makes sense though when you think about how many people your stuff gets touched by and how gross the conveyor belts are. "

Ahhh right, I never got into that habit. I would wash my hands after though

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Do it early Saturday mornings. Shelves stocked for weekend and no queues.

I take a list and stick to it.

Onto belt in order it's going to be packed. Hard stuff like tins on the bottom. Cold stuff if frozen, on bottom.

Put bags on floor and empty onto worktop...then put away.

Only clean if needed.

over a year ago

"Farm shop for all my meat and veg, milk & fresh food.

It works for me i want to know my food is locally sourced, free range, and plastic free.

Cobs from Birds with chicken soup when I'll is food of the Gods "

Arnt they just

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I rarely take a list. I buy meat from a favourite butcher, so when I'm grocery shopping it tends to just be for fruit, veg and bakery, and I buy very similar things every week, no need for a list unless there's something specific that I'm doing that is out of the ordinary.

I go through a self scan till because there are few manned tills when I shop, and I'm very particular on how my bags are packed.

When I get home it all gets packed away into the right cupboard and into the fridge. I'm very pernickety about it all.

Post new Message to Thread