Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you like the lord of the rings?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I do and I have seen all the 3 now. I had a marathon of them. I like the story line and the main characters frodo and sam, it was abit sad when they got separated for a while but when they met again. I shed a tear of happiness

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I can't believe how old they are

But yes I like them. We watched all of them again not long ago.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Yes but I can never remember who is who

over a year ago

Yes!! But my very favourite is the first one. Seeing it at the cinema was my very first evening out, after having my firstborn daughter. 3 hours in a darkened place with snacks and no child attached to my nipple. Thought I’d died and gone to heaven (and I loved the film too).

over a year ago

Yes, they’re good movies.

Get yourself watching ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy too Shag.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No

over a year ago

Never watched it.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Yes I do. I also like your rather cute way of describing them Shag. The Hobbit trilogy is on Netflix and I'm currently loving rewatching that. I'll watch LotR next.

over a year ago

Aragorn. Say no more....

over a year ago

Yes I love Lord of the rings and now I see its on Netflix I will watch them again

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

No I don't like it. I love it!!

Bit of Louis Walsh there for you.

over a year ago

Sure do.

The bit with Liv Tyler getting chased by the black riders is probably one of my favourite scenes in a film!!

over a year ago

Takes me back to being a kid

My nan looked like an ork

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I'm looking forward to the Amazon series. Hopefully it will be good.

By *heTotalPackageMan
over a year ago

nuneaton

Films are far too long, enjoyed watching once but can't invest that much time in something I've already seen

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

No, same goes for Game of Thrones.

Marvel's Dungeons and Dragons: Yes!

I alsolike the Narnia Chronicles, pity book one never gets turned into a screen play (The Magician's nephew.)

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I do like the films but a part of me is still gutted they cut out Tom Bombadil.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

No. It was mainly just dullness interspersed with action, took itself too seriously and went on way too long.

By *apperleymanMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Have you ever read the book? I have, multiple times… as well as the other Tolkien books. I actually really liked the films too.

The hobbit films were shite by comparison.

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

Nope,I just can't get into them. It's the same with Harry Potter. I just can't enjoy them.

over a year ago

"Takes me back to being a kid

My nan looked like an ork"

Brilliant

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I can't believe how old they are

But yes I like them. We watched all of them again not long ago."

Yes, they are old and good too

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Yes but I can never remember who is who "
Yes, it is abit hard to remember all the names

over a year ago

Yes but I couldn’t go through it all again

By *heTotalPackageMan
over a year ago

nuneaton

"Nope,I just can't get into them. It's the same with Harry Potter. I just can't enjoy them."

I don't like HP either

over a year ago

I've never seen them. Do I need to? How much time out of my life do I need to carve? Does someone want to watch them with us?

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

God I must've watched them all like 10 times now lol & each watch I notice or pick up something I missed

over a year ago

No

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

By *heTotalPackageMan
over a year ago

nuneaton

"I've never seen them. Do I need to? How much time out of my life do I need to carve? Does someone want to watch them with us? "

They're long films and there's three

First one is dull so will put you off the other two

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I read the book when I was 18 and I've watched all the films. I enjoyed them but I wouldn't read or watch again.

over a year ago

"Aragorn. Say no more.... "

89 years old, no chance on fab..

over a year ago

"I've never seen them. Do I need to? How much time out of my life do I need to carve? Does someone want to watch them with us?

First one is dull so will put you off the other two "

In your opinion, I enjoyed them

over a year ago

I've not watched them but think I need to as I'm loving the Hobbit films on Netflix right now x

over a year ago

Amazon lotr series is out this year

Probably boost its popularity up again

By *heTotalPackageMan
over a year ago

nuneaton

"I've never seen them. Do I need to? How much time out of my life do I need to carve? Does someone want to watch them with us?

First one is dull so will put you off the other two

In your opinion, I enjoyed them "

I did enjoy them in the cinema originally

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Seen the first film. Not got around to watching the others.

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

The hobbit was one of the books I had to read for English O level,,,,, along with Animal farm..... Great books

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Yes!! But my very favourite is the first one. Seeing it at the cinema was my very first evening out, after having my firstborn daughter. 3 hours in a darkened place with snacks and no child attached to my nipple. Thought I’d died and gone to heaven (and I loved the film too)."
That is good and yes, the first one is really good too, they are quite long movies too arent they. I like them that type of length

over a year ago

"Yes!! But my very favourite is the first one. Seeing it at the cinema was my very first evening out, after having my firstborn daughter. 3 hours in a darkened place with snacks and no child attached to my nipple. Thought I’d died and gone to heaven (and I loved the film too).That is good and yes, the first one is really good too, they are quite long movies too arent they. I like them that type of length "

Well as a Scot, I do like to get my money’s worth

By *apperleymanMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"The hobbit was one of the books I had to read for English O level,,,,, along with Animal farm..... Great books "

Hobbit for O levels?? You sure about that? don’t wanna be rude but it’s a kids book..

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I think our first ever argument was when Charlotte called Lord if the Rings ‘ a spaghetti western’

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Never had the patience with it. Maybe I would but probably not and will probably never know.

Mr

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

Lotr 'extended' versions complete with a multitude of how-they-made-it behind the scenes which, as a model maker, i loved.

i do find the music over-bearing and irritatingly so in the hobbit films which really were wayy too long.

Love all the books, again and again x

over a year ago

I liked them but I actually preferred the other characters stories. Frodo and Sam were a bit meh. As my then early teen daughter pointed out..'why didn't they just fly the ring in on the eagles in the first place?'....

By *ravellerukMan
over a year ago

Tenby till end of Sep

Love the LOTR, and watching the extended editions back to back is a pretty awesome way to spend a weekend.

Not as keen on the Hobbit although I still enjoyed it. Suspect it suffered by being compared back to LOTR and also stretched over one film too many

over a year ago

"Have you ever read the book? I have, multiple times… as well as the other Tolkien books. I actually really liked the films too.

The hobbit films were shite by comparison. "

The hobbit films were made as a prequel, what the book wasn't. The added links in to Sauron and Mordor, and took bits from the Samirilians. Artistic license as they say and they needed to drag the hobbit into three films. Where the Lord of The Rings was originally 3 books

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Yes I do. I also like your rather cute way of describing them Shag. The Hobbit trilogy is on Netflix and I'm currently loving rewatching that. I'll watch LotR next."
Ty and yes, that triology sounds good too, have fun watching it too

over a year ago

"I've never seen them. Do I need to? How much time out of my life do I need to carve? Does someone want to watch them with us? "

I'd happily give up sex and watch LOTR instead.

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"I liked them but I actually preferred the other characters stories. Frodo and Sam were a bit meh. As my then early teen daughter pointed out..'why didn't they just fly the ring in on the eagles in the first place?'...."

Because Sauron has air defences. But yes, it’s not made clear. Also Sauron’s army had a rear-guard to prevent it being overwhelmed by sneak-cavalry charges, but Rohan circumvented them.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

I was sad when Spock Vader killed Dumbledore

over a year ago

Yes and The Hobbit Trilogy

By *ensualMan
over a year ago

Sutton

I have read the combined books 3 times including footnotes, the footnotes being the biggest slog. I loved the films and can live with the alterations.

I love "The Hobbit" the book but the first two films were all padding and little substance. But, although it is not Tolkein there are some brilliantly dark parts in the last film, that redeem the film but not the series.

"Tauriel: [weeps for Kili] If this is love, I don't want it. Take it away, please! Why does it hurt so much?Thranduil: [sadly] Because it was real.."

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I liked them but I actually preferred the other characters stories. Frodo and Sam were a bit meh. As my then early teen daughter pointed out..'why didn't they just fly the ring in on the eagles in the first place?'....

Because Sauron has air defences. But yes, it’s not made clear. Also Sauron’s army had a rear-guard to prevent it being overwhelmed by sneak-cavalry charges, but Rohan circumvented them."

Rohan: I like those outdoors clothing shops.

By *ixi n DogCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

Yep. And read the main books, the Hobbit and the Silmarillion.

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

I do prefer the books but the films are good for those days when there’s nothing to do but build a duvet fort and snuggle the day away.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

They are amongst my favourite films, and the books are amongst my favourite books

over a year ago

"I do prefer the books but the films are good for those days when there’s nothing to do but build a duvet fort and snuggle the day away. "

Sounds perfect

over a year ago

Never seen it

over a year ago

Seen it long back and didn't like. Not sure why.

over a year ago

The books are not solely for children, it is a tale reflecting all of history. Good, evil, friendship, love, loyalty, faith and how very little worthwhile rarely comes without work, effort and sacrifice (hence the long hard journey). It’s no different in that respect than any other great book you’ve ever read even the bible. Tolkien took his whole life to write it including creating a whole language (Elvish). In saying that you either like it or not, I do and whilst I appreciate lots of folk love Harry Potter I can’t stand that… he’s a wuss and not half the wizard Hermione is

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"The books are not solely for children, it is a tale reflecting all of history. Good, evil, friendship, love, loyalty, faith and how very little worthwhile rarely comes without work, effort and sacrifice (hence the long hard journey). It’s no different in that respect than any other great book you’ve ever read even the bible. Tolkien took his whole life to write it including creating a whole language (Elvish). In saying that you either like it or not, I do and whilst I appreciate lots of folk love Harry Potter I can’t stand that… he’s a wuss and not half the wizard Hermione is "

Love your username

over a year ago

"The books are not solely for children, it is a tale reflecting all of history. Good, evil, friendship, love, loyalty, faith and how very little worthwhile rarely comes without work, effort and sacrifice (hence the long hard journey). It’s no different in that respect than any other great book you’ve ever read even the bible. Tolkien took his whole life to write it including creating a whole language (Elvish). In saying that you either like it or not, I do and whilst I appreciate lots of folk love Harry Potter I can’t stand that… he’s a wuss and not half the wizard Hermione is

Love your username "

It reflects my experience in life my dear Nora

By *ightwishMan
over a year ago

Watford

Love them . Next step is to read the books.

over a year ago

"I do and I have seen all the 3 now. I had a marathon of them. I like the story line and the main characters frodo and sam, it was abit sad when they got separated for a while but when they met again. I shed a tear of happiness "

Only the best trilogy ever !!!

Actually it’s been awhile might get stuck in to them this week not shower and grow a beard !

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

Think I have seen LOTR films at least 5 times and maybe 2-3 times for the Hobbit films. They used to be shown so often that I ended up switching channels whenever they appeared on TV much like Harry Potter which I just don't get.

over a year ago

Love the LOTR universe, even played a few of the games too. Currently rewatching the hobbit that was recently released on netflix. I cant wait until the LOTR trilogy is released on netflix as well so i can binge watch the hobbit and LOTR back to back

over a year ago

"Love the LOTR universe, even played a few of the games too. Currently rewatching the hobbit that was recently released on netflix. I cant wait until the LOTR trilogy is released on netflix as well so i can binge watch the hobbit and LOTR back to back "

Date night

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

I was captivated by Tolkien from the first time I heard the Hobbit read out on audio tape (a reel to reel) at primary school. I had some book tokens for my birthday that year and used them to buy a boxed set of the paperbacks of The Hobbitt and The Lord of The Rings. I’d have been ten. I read them dozens of times, and still have those copies over forty years later. Each reading revealed something I’d not noticed before, and reading them as an adult not a child also unlocked subcurrents I’d missed too.

The films were a bit of a disappointment really. Entertaining in their own right, but not a patch on the books.

over a year ago

"I liked them but I actually preferred the other characters stories. Frodo and Sam were a bit meh. As my then early teen daughter pointed out..'why didn't they just fly the ring in on the eagles in the first place?'....

Because Sauron has air defences. But yes, it’s not made clear. Also Sauron’s army had a rear-guard to prevent it being overwhelmed by sneak-cavalry charges, but Rohan circumvented them."

In the film the only apparent air defences, are the dragons, who got the shit kicked out of them by the eagles?

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I love the films. I have the extended editions on dvd, so they're about 4 hours each. I'm glad they cut out Tom Bombadil who always irritated me in the books (less so now I'm getting older and re-reading them). I do wish they'd been able to keep the shire battle storyline in at the end of the third film but understandable that they changed it or the film would have probably been another hour long.

The music is great and something you can have on in the background when you're working

over a year ago

"Yes but I can never remember who is who "

Hi. Gollum here

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

No

I just missed the premier when I was in New Zealand, they had it at the cinema at the end of the road where I was living.

over a year ago

I didn't think I would, but I did

I saw the first one in Amsterdam because it was soooo cold, we went into a cinema for a warm

By *aulupforitMan
over a year ago

Corbridge

No and do not like Harry botter either

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I'd happily give up sex and watch LOTR instead. "

You are just sent from heaven!

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I'm an avid Tolkien fanatic. I loved the movies. And unabashed to admit that I have a few 'First Editions' of his books: the Hobbit, amongst others, being one of my proud possessions.

By *otshot14Woman
over a year ago

nuneaton

Yes loved them all

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I used to watch the extended versions too. A whole day of snacks and lotr.

The Hobbit films were dragged out and boring though.

over a year ago

I'd happily give up sex and watch LOTR instead.

You are just sent from heaven!

"

over a year ago

I like them, and The Hobbit series too

over a year ago

I've got to put the books on my to read list now...

over a year ago

yep love them and you know they are a keeper when they love it to :p

over a year ago

"Love the LOTR universe, even played a few of the games too. Currently rewatching the hobbit that was recently released on netflix. I cant wait until the LOTR trilogy is released on netflix as well so i can binge watch the hobbit and LOTR back to back

Date night "

Ill bring the netflix and chill, you bring the wine

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

for everyone that thinks lotr is for kids (and granted, the hobbit was written for his kids), it's worth remembering that the books are not just about friendship, fellowship and a very long journey.

they're not just about tolkiens deep dive into anglo-saxon mythology and languages.

they are also about loss and endings; orcs, ents, elves, hobbits, one way or another they all are done, gone by the end leaving us with a world of men...

...because it's also about a generations experience of the first world war (sarumans despoil, mordor) and the decent into ww2 (sauron, the great eye).

its not just furry feet and smouldering aragorn

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

^

Or perhaps not. Tolkien once said that he hated allegory in all its manifestations.

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"^

Or perhaps not. Tolkien once said that he hated allegory in all its manifestations."

that that's debatable kinda proves my point

By *andaloriansCouple
over a year ago

Malvern

Yep, weve had a marathon and cant wait for the netflix series! Even got a game on my phone. Tamriel mmmmmmm

S

By *elloIntrigueMan
over a year ago

North West UK

I really enjoyed the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, got them all on DVD although I've not watched them for a few years.. I did back to back watching of them one bank holiday which was a right marathon!

By comparison I liked The Hobbit films one and two but the third was so flimsy and there wasn't enough story to hold it together, which was disappointing.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

Lord of the rings, is he the main man for organising anal sex events?

over a year ago

Yes, we really enjoyed them.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"I do and I have seen all the 3 now. I had a marathon of them. I like the story line and the main characters frodo and sam, it was abit sad when they got separated for a while but when they met again. I shed a tear of happiness "

No spoilers! I've not seen them yet!

By *imbobaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes you do. I have the box sets. Put aside an entire weekend to allow for plus bonuses.

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"I do and I have seen all the 3 now. I had a marathon of them. I like the story line and the main characters frodo and sam, it was abit sad when they got separated for a while but when they met again. I shed a tear of happiness

No spoilers! I've not seen them yet!

"

Spoiler: They’re taking the hobbits to Isengard!

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"I do like the films but a part of me is still gutted they cut out Tom Bombadil."

And Glorfindel

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

The films are great, I have the extended editions but I prefer the books.

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

"The hobbit was one of the books I had to read for English O level,,,,, along with Animal farm..... Great books

Hobbit for O levels?? You sure about that? don’t wanna be rude but it’s a kids book.. "

I'm sure animal farm was one of the books. You could be right about the hobbit. When I think back I know I read both around the same time

over a year ago

Lord of the rings is the greatest trilogy ever made.

Battle of helms deep is the one.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I used to read the trilogy every summer...my holiday in middle earth

over a year ago

I do. Lost count how many times I've seen them.

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"I do. Lost count how many times I've seen them."

According to my records, it’s 11.

By *pen2UMan
over a year ago

Telford

Love them and also love The Hobbit series too! Seen them all numerous times and really want to watch them all again now lol.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"Sure do.

The bit with Liv Tyler getting chased by the black riders is probably one of my favourite scenes in a film!! "

They really screwed Glorfindel over with that

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

The films are good but the books are far superior

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

and then I scroll up and see I'd already commented

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

" and then I scroll up and see I'd already commented "

Spanner

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Its awesome

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

" and then I scroll up and see I'd already commented

Spanner "

Guilty as charged

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Looking forward to the TV series in September

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"Looking forward to the TV series in September "

I'm still on the fence.

By *LiamMan
over a year ago

Midlands

No

over a year ago

I loved them. I am genuinely annoyed when I watched the last one, because I knew I had no more to watch.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"I loved them. I am genuinely annoyed when I watched the last one, because I knew I had no more to watch."

I always feel sorry for Smeagol and Sam by the end

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

"Looking forward to the TV series in September

I'm still on the fence. "

Me too....

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Watched them all once and to be honest, wasn't overly impressed. Not sure why because I normally like fantasy films but felt like it did drag a bit.

over a year ago

On a mooch

I'm still on the fence. "

Of course, but I’m still curious about it and will give it a chance. The films don’t live up to the books so I’m not expecting this to either. Just enjoy it for what it is.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I'm still on the fence.

Of course, but I’m still curious about it and will give it a chance. The films don’t live up to the books so I’m not expecting this to either. Just enjoy it for what it is. "

I may need to adopt this attitude. In truth they could do a lot with the second age material.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I'm still on the fence.

Me too...."

I've been burned by film/tv adaptations of books/comics before.....looking at you aliens vs predator

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I'm not over impressed by the films ..can't get over the dodgy rubber hobbit feet and the grubby hands and bitten fingernails

over a year ago

Yes great trilogy however I prefer the hobbit , give it a watch

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

I've been burned by film/tv adaptations of books/comics before.....looking at you aliens vs predator "

This....I need to get out of the mindset, but I use the excuse not to watch it as I've better things to do

over a year ago

Love it and I live by the two towers in Birmingham so I love it even more

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I've realised with my recent re reads that the films have informed my picture of characters. Sir Ian McKellen is forever what Gandalf looks like to me for instance

over a year ago

On a mooch

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

I've been burned by film/tv adaptations of books/comics before.....looking at you aliens vs predator "

If I’ve read the book I know it’s likely I won’t enjoy the film, so learnt to separate the two a long time ago

By *r laidbackMan
over a year ago

London & New Brighton

Its a must watch

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

I've been burned by film/tv adaptations of books/comics before.....looking at you aliens vs predator

This....I need to get out of the mindset, but I use the excuse not to watch it as I've better things to do "

It's a hard thing to shake in my experience, especially when the source material is much loved.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

This....I need to get out of the mindset, but I use the excuse not to watch it as I've better things to do

It's a hard thing to shake in my experience, especially when the source material is much loved."

True.

But as Spurs said above, its learning how to seperate the two, for instance I keep 007 and the Daniel Craig saga separately in my head, same as Starwars and the Rey Saga. But all the tv series I just seem to resist for some reason

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

I like it Bought the directors ut boxset but I doubt I will be watching them anytime soon.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

If I’ve read the book I know it’s likely I won’t enjoy the film, so learnt to separate the two a long time ago "

Its very likely going to be a pile of dog shit based upon Amazon's treatment of Wheel of Time. However since it is not based on any specific books, and more on the Lore of the Second Age it has high chance to butcher the written works even more due to more freedom to play fast and loose with between the lines of what is written.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I grew up on Tolkien and most of his 'literature'. I love it.

I've also collected a few first edition copies of some of his obscure publications.

But my prized copy is the 1st Edition hardback of "The Hobbit" which I acquired about ten years ago.

I never get bored of the movies. (It's never Bored Of The Rings in my house)

over a year ago

On a mooch

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

If I’ve read the book I know it’s likely I won’t enjoy the film, so learnt to separate the two a long time ago

Its very likely going to be a pile of dog shit based upon Amazon's treatment of Wheel of Time. However since it is not based on any specific books, and more on the Lore of the Second Age it has high chance to butcher the written works even more due to more freedom to play fast and loose with between the lines of what is written."

Guaranteed to be butchered, as you say read between the lines and make it up as they go along. GoT was the same, no book so we’ll make it up and have people already dead survive until the end

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

Nope, always fall asleep and never manage to watch the entire film(s)

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

It's a hard thing to shake in my experience, especially when the source material is much loved.

True.

But as Spurs said above, its learning how to seperate the two, for instance I keep 007 and the Daniel Craig saga separately in my head, same as Starwars and the Rey Saga. But all the tv series I just seem to resist for some reason"

The thing is there is a difference between a good adaption (very early seasons of game of thrones, and PJ LOTR - not hobbit!) and doing the source material justice (Harry Potter and MCU). Some things need to be changed to make it work for film/TV.

Then you have the butchering of all things that make the source material what it is... The golden compass, Eragon, and The Dark Tower to name but a few.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

If I’ve read the book I know it’s likely I won’t enjoy the film, so learnt to separate the two a long time ago "

I can't argue with you if you're going to be sensible

over a year ago

Have you read the books?

Try the Silmarillion as that is basically the history book for the lord of the rings - just be prepared for it to be hard going though

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I'm still on the fence.

Me too....

True.

But as Spurs said above, its learning how to seperate the two, for instance I keep 007 and the Daniel Craig saga separately in my head, same as Starwars and the Rey Saga. But all the tv series I just seem to resist for some reason"

I didn't bother watching the third film in the Rey saga, I felt I wasted enough time on it.

over a year ago

"I grew up on Tolkien and most of his 'literature'. I love it.

I've also collected a few first edition copies of some of his obscure publications.

But my prized copy is the 1st Edition hardback of "The Hobbit" which I acquired about ten years ago.

I never get bored of the movies. (It's never Bored Of The Rings in my house) "

I've got a first edition illustrated hobbit book - shamefully my kids are not even interested in it.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"I do and I have seen all the 3 now. I had a marathon of them. I like the story line and the main characters frodo and sam, it was abit sad when they got separated for a while but when they met again. I shed a tear of happiness

Have you read the books?

Try the Silmarillion as that is basically the history book for the lord of the rings - just be prepared for it to be hard going though"

I shall be delving into the Silmarillion again later today. As stated above I've nearly finished return of the king.

Currently Sam and Frodo have just been bundled into a troop of marching orcs

By *r SproutMan
over a year ago

the middle somewhere

Haven’t seen any of them

over a year ago

Have you read the books?

Try the Silmarillion as that is basically the history book for the lord of the rings - just be prepared for it to be hard going though

I shall be delving into the Silmarillion again later today. As stated above I've nearly finished return of the king.

Currently Sam and Frodo have just been bundled into a troop of marching orcs"

Starting the silmarillion is a bit like the fellowship of the ring. It's okay once you start to form all of the characters and scenes in your head but is a bit boggy to start with.

Have you read any David Eddings or Anne McCaffrey stuff?

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

We're just watching them, I think her ladyship said she'd watched the first one way back when and it's many years since I've seen them. I've read the books maybe 5 or 6 times since a child and listened to the audio books probably the same.

We were both really surprised at how dated the films look - I remember them being heralded as cutting edge

Mr

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

Have you read the books?

Currently Sam and Frodo have just been bundled into a troop of marching orcs

Starting the silmarillion is a bit like the fellowship of the ring. It's okay once you start to form all of the characters and scenes in your head but is a bit boggy to start with.

Have you read any David Eddings or Anne McCaffrey stuff?"

Agreed but I enjoy it, the first age elves were powerful sons of guns.

I've read nothing by either author. Worth a look?

over a year ago

Most definitely - Eddings stuff is amazing

over a year ago

I like onion rings

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Who is this lord? Was he on this year's honours list?

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

No! I wanted to like it but I didn’t

over a year ago

Yes

over a year ago

I do yes.

I liked Peter Jackson's horror films when I was a teenager. That's what made me watch the lord of the rings films, when I found out he was going to be directing them.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"I like onion rings "

^ she has the 'appetite' of a Hobbit. Fact.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

Have you read the books?

Try the Silmarillion as that is basically the history book for the lord of the rings - just be prepared for it to be hard going though"

The Silmarillion is enlightening but I agree it's also hard going.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

No. Don't like LOTR

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

^ he's into Narnia.

Post new Message to Thread