Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Toll roads

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've been told that 20 miles of the A55 on the island of Anglesey is actually a toll road, and that it is operated by the same company which operates the M40 motorway?

So, how does this work? Who pays the toll? How is the amount of traffic recorded? Does it work the same on both the A55 and the M40, or are there major differences?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I've been told that 20 miles of the A55 on the island of Anglesey is actually a toll road, and that it is operated by the same company which operates the M40 motorway?

So, how does this work? Who pays the toll? How is the amount of traffic recorded? Does it work the same on both the A55 and the M40, or are there major differences?"

Should I do a Google search or will you ?

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Toll roads are usually private property and you pay the toll at the beginning. I only know the Dartford crossing and the M6 one. Is there not somewhere you pay before going on it?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shadow-a55-toll-must-paid-21460343

over a year ago

"I've been told that 20 miles of the A55 on the island of Anglesey is actually a toll road, and that it is operated by the same company which operates the M40 motorway?

So, how does this work? Who pays the toll? How is the amount of traffic recorded? Does it work the same on both the A55 and the M40, or are there major differences?

Should I do a Google search or will you ?"

I already did. But it doesn't reveal much. How do they know how many vehicles are suing the road? Are there different classes of vehicle? Do they count the axles or do they use ANPR? How do they detect vehicles? Is there some monitoring system at each and every junction?

I'm just intrigued about how it all works!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shadow-a55-toll-must-paid-21460343"

Ok good, so it’s not actually a toll road and the government pays for it.

IMO this is how all roads should work so they get equal repair work done over time.

over a year ago

"https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shadow-a55-toll-must-paid-21460343

Ok good, so it’s not actually a toll road and the government pays for it.

IMO this is how all roads should work so they get equal repair work done over time. "

I'm not against the principle of toll roads, they are a very good idea. People use them, people pay to use them and some of that money goes towards their upkeep. I'm not even against people making profit. If someone has the balls to put up the capital cost of something expensive, I have no issue with them being paid a handsome profit.

However, I'm not a great fan of people paying for something they don't actually use. I'm also not a great fan of people using something which they don't pay for.

Take, for instance, the tolled section of the A55.

Somebody paid an awful lot of money to build that road. I don't have a problem with that somebody being paid and awful lot plus a bit more money.

So, that bit of the A55 which is tolled, who pays the toll? That's easy to answer, the Welsh Government. The toll is not paid by the car driver, the cyclist, the white van man, the long distance trucker.

It's paid by the Welsh Government.

And where does the Welsh Government get its money from?

Answer - the people who live in Wales.

So, what I'm asking is for some clarity about how the whole process works.

I could ask the Welsh government, I could ask Boris, but I know full well that if there is any shenanigans going on, any answer won't be worth the keystrokes taken in writing it.

I wondered if the font of all knowledge (aka fabswingers) might have some insight.

Sorry if I've offended anyone by asking!

Post new Message to Thread