Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Speed awareness course

Jump to newest

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

I was snapped doing 38mph in a 30 zone. Obviously my own stupid fault!

So I've had to pay £83 for the course in March, but is there also a fine on top of that? I've not done this before, would appreciate any input!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Drive more slowly.

over a year ago

"I was snapped doing 38mph in a 30 zone. Obviously my own stupid fault!

So I've had to pay £83 for the course in March, but is there also a fine on top of that? I've not done this before, would appreciate any input! "

No, it’s either a fine and 3 points or the price of the course

over a year ago

But do remember, 30 kills

over a year ago

So I've had to pay £83 for the course in March, but is there also a fine on top of that? I've not done this before, would appreciate any input! "

That course is pure and utterly soul destroying!!

over a year ago

No fine on top, do the course that is it. Just don't do it again

I did the specs awareness course and found it pretty interesting tbf

over a year ago

I got caught out 3 years ago last December 37 in a 30.

I paid for the course but no fine, if I hadn't completed the course then 100 pounds fine and 3 points, look up NASC/UKROED on the net all your questions answers should be there.

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

So I've had to pay £83 for the course in March, but is there also a fine on top of that? I've not done this before, would appreciate any input!

No, it’s either a fine and 3 points or the price of the course "

Ahh ok, thanks

over a year ago

I did the specs awareness course and found it pretty interesting tbf"

very true, as did I, was peed off at first but learned a lot.

over a year ago

you can't do the course again for 3 years, so speeding next time and it's points and fine.

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

That course is pure and utterly soul destroying!!"

Really?!!....Oh no! I've heard it's a pain!

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

When they ask you if any situations ever justify speeding, don’t say ‘yes - when you need to get away’.

By *iker boy 69Man
over a year ago

midlands

You do find out some roads are faster than you thought though which is good

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

"When they ask you if any situations ever justify speeding, don’t say ‘yes - when you need to get away’."

over a year ago

I was caught doing 310 in 30 didn't get a fine just told off for flying low

over a year ago

I’ve done the course and it wasn’t too bad for me. Really depends on who’s running it. Sat next to an Uber driver who was still online throughout the course

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

"you can't do the course again for 3 years, so speeding next time and it's points and fine."

good to know!

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

"I was caught doing 310 in 30 didn't get a fine just told off for flying low "

......I envy your career!

over a year ago

Your fine is you pay for the course which will educate you my arse no points on license or fine to pay just 6 hours you will neve r get back

over a year ago

"When they ask you if any situations ever justify speeding, don’t say ‘yes - when you need to get away’."

This

And don't waffle on, because the longer people waffle the longer you are there! There was a guy on mine and he kept arguing with the tutor and pulling the "I've been driving for 50 years I should know" card. In the end everyone told him to 'shhhh' I thought he was hilarious

over a year ago

If it was fun everyone would be speeding..

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

"When they ask you if any situations ever justify speeding, don’t say ‘yes - when you need to get away’.

This

And don't waffle on, because the longer people waffle the longer you are there! There was a guy on mine and he kept arguing with the tutor and pulling the "I've been driving for 50 years I should know" card. In the end everyone told him to 'shhhh' I thought he was hilarious "

.....x

over a year ago

That course is pure and utterly soul destroying!!

If it was fun everyone would be speeding.."

Decent . Makes perfect sense now.

over a year ago

Those that have been on the course, preferably in Cumbria. How hot is the tutor? Is there food? Asking for a friend of course.

By *igtatsMan
over a year ago

gravesend

They doing them back in house now ? Mine was done online

over a year ago

"When they ask you if any situations ever justify speeding, don’t say ‘yes - when you need to get away’.

This

And don't waffle on, because the longer people waffle the longer you are there! There was a guy on mine and he kept arguing with the tutor and pulling the "I've been driving for 50 years I should know" card. In the end everyone told him to 'shhhh' I thought he was hilarious

.....x"

I think the standard response to that one is ' The fact that you haven't learned much in 50 years of driving is why you're sitting here..'

over a year ago

This

.....x

I think the standard response to that one is ' The fact that you haven't learned much in 50 years of driving is why you're sitting here..'

"

That would be pretty unfair seeing as everyone else was there for the same thing....Yep wrong to speed but he took his punishment.

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I was told on mine whether it's right or wrong the number of speed cameras will increase so it you don't pay attention you'll be here again.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

We don't get that option up here. We just get a fine and points and if I remember correctly if you pay it within 28 days the fine is halved.

over a year ago

"you can't do the course again for 3 years, so speeding next time and it's points and fine."

I got done 5 years ago and was told couldn't do course again for 7 years. Has it changed then? Or is it different in Wales?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

No, no fine on top. I'm doing one this month.

over a year ago

evesham

"you can't do the course again for 3 years, so speeding next time and it's points and fine.

I got done 5 years ago and was told couldn't do course again for 7 years. Has it changed then? Or is it different in Wales?"

3 years.

over a year ago

"you can't do the course again for 3 years, so speeding next time and it's points and fine.

I got done 5 years ago and was told couldn't do course again for 7 years. Has it changed then? Or is it different in Wales?

3 years. "

over a year ago

evesham

"Your fine is you pay for the course which will educate you my arse no points on license or fine to pay just 6 hours you will neve r get back"

They aren't 6 hours long

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I got done 5 years ago and was told couldn't do course again for 7 years. Has it changed then? Or is it different in Wales?"

I did one about 5 years ago and was told I wouldn’t be offered another for 3 years.

That’s the other thing to remember, they are discretionary, they don’t have to offer you one at all.

By *aulupforitMan
over a year ago

Corbridge

I nearly got done for being to slow would you believe it of a traffic cop.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Your fine is you pay for the course which will educate you my arse no points on license or fine to pay just 6 hours you will neve r get back

They aren't 6 hours long "

Think the one I did was about 4 or 41/2, with a coffee and biscuit break.

over a year ago

No other fine other than the cost of the course. You can’t get caught again for 3 years! If you do you’ll have to take the points.

over a year ago

evesham

"I nearly got done for being to slow would you believe it of a traffic cop."

It's equally as dangerous.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"I nearly got done for being to slow would you believe it of a traffic cop.

It's equally as dangerous. "

Especially on Motorways

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

It's really interesting, I did one on November, 31 in 30.

Its more like a reminder that speeding doesn't actually get you there any faster.

You'll see a video of stopping distances and it's an eye opener puts things into perspective.

over a year ago

It is amazing how many people on the course bitch about it. Simple answer, don't speed.

over a year ago

That course is pure and utterly soul destroying!!It is amazing how many people on the course bitch about it. Simple answer, don't speed."

Why thank you for your words of wisdom, I really appreciate it xx

over a year ago

I did the specs awareness course and found it pretty interesting tbf

very true, as did I, was peed off at first but learned a lot."

I decided that I was going to get something out of the course and found it very informative. Downside was having to listen to a few on the course moan and bitch about how they shouldn't be there !

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

Be aware that soke of the information they may give you is also not up to date and correct so double check some of it yourself afterwards.

A lot of insurance companies are now asking if you've done a speed awareness course in the last 3 years too and treat it as if you've got the points on your licence so be aware of that with your current insurer as well, they may invalidate your policy if you don't declare it.

By *ess n BenCouple
over a year ago

Didcot

Done mine on zoom last year due to covid restrictions

I think the AA runs the courses

By *ewBurtonMan
over a year ago

Derby

No you just pay for the course. Don’t tell your insurance as any excuse to up your premium

Also do not speak at the course it just lasts longer. I had an annoying twat that kept asking questions. Just there longer and more boring

over a year ago

That course is pure and utterly soul destroying!!It is amazing how many people on the course bitch about it. Simple answer, don't speed.

Why thank you for your words of wisdom, I really appreciate it xx"

My pleasure.

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

I found it quite informative, they should do it as part of the test in my opinion.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

It can keep your licence clean, if you haven't been caught in a while, so it will lessen your insurance premiums.

I will add that there are plenty of speed cameras on country roads that have no speed signage. This needs addressing, as it is down to guess work that get people into trouble.

It's not difficult to put a speed limit sign up next to the camera sign is it.

Before you say that dual carriageways are national, that's not always true. The speed on these roads drops to 30 mph around Luton Airport and around Northampton can be as low as 50mph, on the roads I've been down. There are really bad country roads, that are single tracked and falling to bits that are signposted national speed limit.

Speeding on those unlit and unkempt roads is a lot more dangerous than a well lit newish, 3 lane dual carriageway.

By *obajxMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

I was caught on a mobile camera on the A1 near Thirsk

My speed was 79mph and the tolerance was 78

I was offered the speed awareness course and the cost or the points and fine. I took the course which was done via zoom and for the most part I found it interesting

The course leader didn't make anyone feel like a naughty child and his presentation was pretty good. There were elements that I didn't agree with but I bit my lip

Treat it as a driving refresher and approach it with an open mind

By *obajxMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

"It can keep your licence clean, if you haven't been caught in a while, so it will lessen your insurance premiums.

I will add that there are plenty of speed cameras on country roads that have no speed signage. This needs addressing, as it is down to guess work that get people into trouble.

Before you say that dual carriageways are national, that's not always true. The speed on these roads drops to 30 mph around Luton Airport and around Northampton can be as low as 50mph, on the roads I've been down. There are really bad country roads, that are single tracked and falling to bits that are signposted national speed limit.

Speeding on those unlit and unkempt roads is a lot more dangerous than a well lit newish, 3 lane dual carriageway."

How to recognise what the speed limit is on the road you are driving was dealt with on the speed awareness course

It's something I've found very useful

By *urhamdebbiecdTV/TS
over a year ago

bishop auckland

[Removed by poster at 09/01/22 15:24:35]

By *ovetoedgeMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

This

And don't waffle on, because the longer people waffle the longer you are there! There was a guy on mine and he kept arguing with the tutor and pulling the "I've been driving for 50 years I should know" card. In the end everyone told him to 'shhhh' I thought he was hilarious "

Exactly this! I sat quietly, waiting for it to be over. It's online at the moment anyway I think.

By *urhamdebbiecdTV/TS
over a year ago

bishop auckland

Course or fine with points, mine was online because of covid and was ok , if it is online you can shop around with different councils it doesn’t have to be with council you were caught with, I was caught in Durham but went with Hartlepool as it was £5 cheaper

over a year ago

I have done speed awareness coarse the whole day was interesting and constructive it tells you about curbing speed accidents horrible

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"It can keep your licence clean, if you haven't been caught in a while, so it will lessen your insurance premiums.

Speeding on those unlit and unkempt roads is a lot more dangerous than a well lit newish, 3 lane dual carriageway.

How to recognise what the speed limit is on the road you are driving was dealt with on the speed awareness course

It's something I've found very useful"

The only way to recognise the speed limit IS down to the type of road, but the actual signs, that are meant to be there. I have dual carriageways near me that are 60, national, 40 and even 50 mph. This is where the assumption will catch you out.

Is it so difficult for the authorities to put up a few more speed limit signs? This is a simple question.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

It's something I've found very useful

The only way to recognise the speed limit IS down to the type of road, but the actual signs, that are meant to be there. I have dual carriageways near me that are 60, national, 40 and even 50 mph. This is where the assumption will catch you out.

Is it so difficult for the authorities to put up a few more speed limit signs? This is a simple question."

The type of road has no bearing on the speed limit.

The only thing that determines the speed limit is the signage.

If there is no signage it is national limit (60)

When a speed limit is in place there will be a sign stating the limit.

This then has to be repeated within a specific distance ( so many meters, but I can’t remember the figure)

If the speed limit changes there will be a new sign.

If the signs are not repeated at the required interval then it reverts back to national limit.

So all the signage to tell you what the speed limit is are already in place.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

This

.....x

"

There’s always one of those on the course , a total prick who thinks they have the right to speed or didn’t do it or something usually a man.

I’ve done a lot over the years and they are good but haven’t yet worked for me, it’s always 56-58 in a temp 50 that should be a 70 that gets me , I’m fine on 30 and 40 and 70 roads, I use a limiter now

over a year ago

Quite interesting to see ppls reactions about the courses when my dad is one of the trainers who runs the courses. Ive heard a lot of what goes on in them. I will say that for some of you thought it was boring or whatever, it really depends on the trainer you get, some of them are pretty useless, others are very good at it and can make the course a lot more enjoyable

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"Quite interesting to see ppls reactions about the courses when my dad is one of the trainers who runs the courses. Ive heard a lot of what goes on in them. I will say that for some of you thought it was boring or whatever, it really depends on the trainer you get, some of them are pretty useless, others are very good at it and can make the course a lot more enjoyable"

Is his name Phil?

By *itzimadCouple
over a year ago

harwich

at least youve got some value ive got to do one next month 25 in a 20 zone on a road that used to be 40

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

Wait? Really? I had to pay £100 fine or do a speed awareness course for same price but keep my points.

First offence?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"I was caught doing 310 in 30 didn't get a fine just told off for flying low "

So it was you who broke the speed camera then lol

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Your fine is you pay for the course which will educate you my arse no points on license or fine to pay just 6 hours you will neve r get back"

Maybe you would have been better with the points and fine, if it was that bad.

By *otshot14Woman
over a year ago

nuneaton

Do the course,get a cuppa and biscuits,chat to a few people.

It's a whole day thing,but it's up to u if u want fine and points.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"

So all the signage to tell you what the speed limit is are already in place. "

Have you driven around Northamptomshire? ~There are miles of round without speed signs but plenty of camera signs, they don't have speeds displayed, so it's down to guess work. That's my beef.

over a year ago

This

.....x

That would be pretty unfair seeing as everyone else was there for the same thing....Yep wrong to speed but he took his punishment. "

The post said he was constantly arguing with the tutor. If he felt that strongly about it he should have paid his fine and taken the points.

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"

Have you driven around Northamptomshire? ~There are miles of round without speed signs but plenty of camera signs, they don't have speeds displayed, so it's down to guess work. That's my beef."

Built up area 30mph simple

over a year ago

"I was told on mine whether it's right or wrong the number of speed cameras will increase so it you don't pay attention you'll be here again.

"

It varies. I know counties where none of the speed cameras are active, they just don't tell you.

over a year ago

"Quite interesting to see ppls reactions about the courses when my dad is one of the trainers who runs the courses. Ive heard a lot of what goes on in them. I will say that for some of you thought it was boring or whatever, it really depends on the trainer you get, some of them are pretty useless, others are very good at it and can make the course a lot more enjoyable"

I enjoyed the course I did. There were some know all dicks on it but decent people too. The instructor was a decent bloke. A few of us learned a lot. Like we can go faster on a dual carriageway. We thought it was 60mph.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"

Have you driven around Northamptomshire? ~There are miles of round without speed signs but plenty of camera signs, they don't have speeds displayed, so it's down to guess work. That's my beef."

It’s never down to guess work.

If there truly are no signs then the speed limit is national (60).

I suspect that you are just not noticing the repeaters, they are about half the diameter.

If you are flashed on camera and issued a ticket whilst doing less than 60 on a stretch of road with no speed limit signs, let it go to court, it will get thrown out.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"

Have you driven around Northamptomshire? ~There are miles of round without speed signs but plenty of camera signs, they don't have speeds displayed, so it's down to guess work. That's my beef.

Built up area 30mph simple "

It's not that simple, a good rule of thumb maybe, but the A1 northbound at Wansford turns off at the former little chef and goes straight down into a twenty, not thirty but it IS signposted as 20mph.

Things are changing...so more signage is needed.

The first UK place to go wide-area 20mph limited through signage and light touch police enforcement was Portsmouth which is mainly on Portsea Island - a low-lying island of 10² miles - off the South coast. Island community characteristics fit perfectly with successful implementations of 20mph speed limits.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"

It’s never down to guess work.

If there truly are no signs then the speed limit is national (60).

I suspect that you are just not noticing the repeaters, they are about half the diameter.

If you are flashed on camera and issued a ticket whilst doing less than 60 on a stretch of road with no speed limit signs, let it go to court, it will get thrown out. "

I do keep an eye out for them, that's why I call them dinner plates.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"

Built up area 30mph simple "

It’s only 30 if that’s what the sign says.

There will always be a sign to indicate the speed limit on a road. If not, it’s national limit (60).

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"

Built up area 30mph simple

It's not that simple, a good rule of thumb maybe, but the A1 northbound at Wansford turns off at the former little chef and goes straight down into a twenty, not thirty but it IS signposted as 20mph.

Things are changing...so more signage is needed.

The first UK place to go wide-area 20mph limited through signage and light touch police enforcement was Portsmouth which is mainly on Portsea Island - a low-lying island of 10² miles - off the South coast. Island community characteristics fit perfectly with successful implementations of 20mph speed limits.

"

you mean zone areas, new housing estates, by school tend to be zone areas at 20mph.

By *moothshaft OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

Wait? Really? I had to pay £100 fine or do a speed awareness course for same price but keep my points.

First offence? "

Well, first offence for over 10 years yes.

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"Do the course,get a cuppa and biscuits,chat to a few people.

It's a whole day thing,but it's up to u if u want fine and points."

I didn't get biscuits dang it. I was robbed of biscuits lol

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Make sure when you do it, if it’s online, that your internet is working. Mate of mines crashed and he had to do it again.

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"

I just use my sat nav to know what speed to do there but not 100% reliable most of the time mind

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

First offence?

Well, first offence for over 10 years yes. "

I wonder why the cost difference then. Curious one that

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Two 'naugty' colleagues of mine had to do the course. Apparently quite worthwhile and informative and excellent delivery by the trainers. Not that I am interested in finding out personally

By *91kMan
over a year ago

Maidstone

Points on your license will affect your insurance premium for 5 years. They always ask "any driving offences within the last 5 years?" which you have to declare. Plus there's the fine

Take the course if you're offered one

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"

I just use my sat nav to know what speed to do there but not 100% reliable most of the time mind "

Absolutely true for dedicated sat navs, if you haven't updated them.

Phones tend to be internet connected and should, in theory have the most up to date info, though you won't be about to use it as an excuse "The sat nav/Google maps told me so". Only the street signs are kosher and they will over rule the painted signs on the tarmac.

This is what the Gov's website says about speed limits and council discretion to change things.

"4) The overall speed limit framework, including the setting of national limits for different road types, and which exceptions to these general limits can be applied, is the responsibility of the government.

The three national speed limits are:

the 30 mph speed limit on roads with street lighting (sometimes referred to as Restricted Roads)

the national speed limit of 60 mph on single carriageway roads

the national speed limit of 70 mph on dual carriageways and motorways

These national limits are not, however, appropriate for all roads. The speed limit regime enables traffic authorities to set local speed limits in situations where local needs and conditions suggest a speed limit which is different from the respective national speed limit."

This is very common driving between Peterborough and Bourne, different villages on the same stretch of raod, built up, will have different lilts. Luckily the signage is good.

By *eardsandboobsCouple
over a year ago

north of lincoln

"Be aware that soke of the information they may give you is also not up to date and correct so double check some of it yourself afterwards.

A lot of insurance companies are now asking if you've done a speed awareness course in the last 3 years too and treat it as if you've got the points on your licence so be aware of that with your current insurer as well, they may invalidate your policy if you don't declare it."

This is not true and you don’t have to tell anyone that you’ve been on a course. It’s treated as anonymous once you arrive . Anyone that mentions anyone else that’s been on the course with you will get a fine.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I went on a speed awareness course once. When it had finished I followed one of the younger guys out to the car park to collect our cars.

He wheel spun out of the car park. Driving off at a ridiculous spread.

How ironic.

over a year ago

Done a few of them. If you take it on the chin and don’t give the presenter agro or entertain any of the clowns in the audience then it can be quite painless.

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

"Be aware that soke of the information they may give you is also not up to date and correct so double check some of it yourself afterwards.

A lot of insurance companies are now asking if you've done a speed awareness course in the last 3 years too and treat it as if you've got the points on your licence so be aware of that with your current insurer as well, they may invalidate your policy if you don't declare it.

This is not true and you don’t have to tell anyone that you’ve been on a course. It’s treated as anonymous once you arrive . Anyone that mentions anyone else that’s been on the course with you will get a fine. "

Feel free to enquire with an insurer who asks if you have been onna speed awareness course in however long they specify.

To say you've not when you have will invalidate your policy and the last thing you want on your insurance history is to have to declare that you've had a policy voided as you have to declare that for life.

And my experience of that is through the insurance ombudsman when I had a policy voided due to driving an import car, I still have the letter 9 years later.

Post new Message to Thread