Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Saving Energy - Suggestion

Jump to newest

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Share some ideas on reducing energy use. Feel free to add yours, here's a couple of mine.. Some will be obvious but still worth a mention.

Boil just enough water to make your brew(s) but always put a little water back in the kettle if you've completely emptied it to prevent damage.

Get two sets of stacking steamer pans. Get the timings right, you can cook a full Christmas Dinner on a single hob. Potatoes in bottom, carrots next level and keep adding items needing less time as it progresses. Reason for two sets is that combining the 4 racks gives 5 cooking locations. Steamed is much better than boiled too.

Use a dehumidifier to dry clothes on wet days. It's cheaper than tumble drying and more gentle on clothes so they last a lot longer.

Use the dehumidifier to dry out the air to prevent damp and reduce heating costs. It takes more energy to heat humid air.

If you have Solar PV, boil a couple of flasks during the day when sunny and use them at night by pouring just enough back into the kettle to make a brew. This saves £80 a year on boiling kettles.

Get yourself a plug in energy meter and check stand-by power usage of all equipment. Just found the innocent toaster that was assumed to not use power when not used was using 21watts doing nothing. That's £38 a year to be plugged in.

If you use a smart speaker, they can switch off everything on one go by voice commands when going out or to bed. Although Internet sockets can be used, cheap radio sockets can be used with an adapter.

Switch heating off an hour earlier and snuggle into a preheated bed. A 20watt heater is a lot less than a 26kilowatt boiler to run.

Grants are available for up to 75% to 100% off the cost of installation of Solar, could you benefit from the scheme and free daytime electricity?

What's yours? Put them below..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Really is an overlooked drain on energy bills the stand by mode. I'd share some of my ideas but you might just go on dragons den with mar sheet lol but this one I will give for free if your neighbour has got an outside socket get yourself a bloody good extension reel but only if there a cunt

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Having 2 20 somthing girls living home is deffo a drain on my fuel Bill's ! Bet my Bill's will half when they leave! X

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Having 2 20 somthing girls living home is deffo a drain on my fuel Bill's ! Bet my Bill's will half when they leave! X "

Must remember to avoid doing that then. Thanks for the tip.

Post new Message to Thread