Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Animal slaughter

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

A British zoo is putting too lions to sleep.. their only crime.. old age.

I am no animal lover but this is sickening and yes..

It is all over the news and shame on those zoos...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Is the reason because they are old?

As in “we hate old lions kill them!”

Or is it more likely that older lions struggle with the younger lions, have health complications and it’s the kindest thing to do to let them go out painlessly

Details

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Oh my that is awful. Can't watch stuff like this as it makes me cry.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Is it not a good thing that we have the power to decide when an animal is suffering too much that we can ease their passing?

Having witnessed end of life care for loved ones, even though the nursing care was fantastic, watching them struggle for breath and endure pain was horrendous. I'd have eased their passing without question.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The devil is, as ever, in the facts:

"Whipsnade Zoo, in Bedfordshire, said it euthanised two African lions, Kia and Max, recently as they "were succumbing to a number of age-related conditions".

It followed the death of the pair's sibling Neo in November.

The zoo said the habitat would remain empty while it "found the right breeding group"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-59892107

over a year ago

North West

Furthermore:

"Since his death, keepers and vets had kept a close eye on the remaining siblings and noticed they were experiencing similar symptoms - difficulty getting up and moving and problems with their coordination - that were affecting their quality of life.

"Sadly, after treatment and care from the vets, the lions' pain began to reach a point that it could no longer be managed with medication," a statement said."

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

1 zoo? Multiple Zoos? Whose zoo? Name them or it’s all so much chain letter crap

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

They could have put them out to pasture away from prying eyes... Their crime.. being old

over a year ago

Yeah fair one, don’t put them out of their misery, let them grow really old and in pain so they can suffer slowly and then die… bloody zookeepers and their humanity!

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"The devil is, as ever, in the facts:

"Whipsnade Zoo, in Bedfordshire, said it euthanised two African lions, Kia and Max, recently as they "were succumbing to a number of age-related conditions".

The zoo said the habitat would remain empty while it "found the right breeding group"."

"

That’s what annoys me about these threads. The opening post is often incorrect fact! And often it’s tantamount to scaremongering

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I wonder if it was a business decision... Too old and grey to entertain and roar.. looking old.. no good to attract visitors..

Who knows

over a year ago

I am sure the decision hasn't been taken lightly. It is always gut wrenching making the decision to have an animal put to sleep. For me it was one of the hardest decisons I will ever have to take.

over a year ago

North West

That’s what annoys me about these threads. The opening post is often incorrect fact! And often it’s tantamount to scaremongering "

Often? Not always?!

over a year ago

evesham

"They could have put them out to pasture away from prying eyes... Their crime.. being old "

They were in pain, Tom. You'd let an animal suffer?

over a year ago

evesham

"I wonder if it was a business decision... Too old and grey to entertain and roar.. looking old.. no good to attract visitors..

Who knows "

Those who read the article know lol

over a year ago

North West

"I wonder if it was a business decision... Too old and grey to entertain and roar.. looking old.. no good to attract visitors..

Who knows "

Yes Tom. I believe the trigger was pulled by Tarquin, age 9½ from Totnes, who won a Blue Peter competition

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

That’s what annoys me about these threads. The opening post is often incorrect fact! And often it’s tantamount to scaremongering "

Can I signpost you to other threads that may meet your approval ..

Hint.. if anyone does not like Toms threads then don't read any further.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

My daughters and I were really upset taking an old, ill pet to the vet to be euthanised. The vet told us that it is the sign of a responsible owner who knows when it is time to say goodbye.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"My daughters and I were really upset taking an old, ill pet to the vet to be euthanised. The vet told us that it is the sign of a responsible owner who knows when it is time to say goodbye. "

And if it's a human?

By *S2004Man
over a year ago

Bromsgrove

Who knows "

Hmmm. So the business decision to leave the pasture empty will have the visitors flocking!!!!

Why is it so hard to accept that sometimes the decision to euthanise the animals is the correct one, no matter how sad. (Which it undoubtedly is)

Their crime (as you have stated) of being old leads to health conditions that means their quality of life suffers to such an extent that the kindest decision is the one taken

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Who knows

Hmmm. So the business decision to leave the pasture empty will have the visitors flocking!!!!

Why is it so hard to accept that sometimes the decision to euthanise the animals is the correct one, no matter how sad. (Which it undoubtedly is)

Their crime (as you have stated) of being old leads to health conditions that means their quality of life suffers to such an extent that the kindest decision is the one taken"

And humans?

over a year ago

North West

Who knows

Their crime (as you have stated) of being old leads to health conditions that means their quality of life suffers to such an extent that the kindest decision is the one taken

And humans?"

Have you ever tried to explain to a lion why it should take medication and have you tried giving it a tablet or injection?

I didn't think so

over a year ago

Are you fact picking again Tom?

Why would anyone in their right mind let an animal suffer when they can let them go peacefully? Personally I don't agree with humans suffering either before you ask.

over a year ago

"They could have put them out to pasture away from prying eyes... Their crime.. being old

They were in pain, Tom. You'd let an animal suffer? "

But it was slaughtered! Slaughtered I tell you! Absolutely no humane methods were considered. I heard they stoned it to death with all the unsellable plastic lions from the gift shop

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"They could have put them out to pasture away from prying eyes... Their crime.. being old "

Where they would have died an agonising drawn out death?

Nice!

Personally I think it should be legal to have the option to end your own if you reach that point in your life.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Who knows

And humans?

Have you ever tried to explain to a lion why it should take medication and have you tried giving it a tablet or injection?

I didn't think so "

Exactly .. they should have been left in the jungle where they came from..

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr southend

I recently had to have one of my dogs euthanized this was due to age related illness and complications related to that, and I can tell you now it is the hardest thing in the world to do but like fuck was I going to sit there and let her suffer, struggling to get up or go out for a wee or get to her food just because she may of had a few more days left in her, that is sick and not the way any animal should ever be treated, the way you worded this Tom makes it sound like they just decided to have them put down for no reason what so ever which isn't really the case as has been shown from the articles relating to it, these animals where suffering and to leave them suffering would have been cruel these zoo keepers love the animals they care for as much as I love my dogs and the would have been in bits making the decision to put them down.

over a year ago

evesham

Who knows

And humans?

I didn't think so

Exactly .. they should have been left in the jungle where they came from.. "

They don't come from jungles either in the wild or, as I suspect these were, bred in captivity.

Did you get a new wooden spoon for Christmas

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Who knows

And humans?

I didn't think so

They don't come from jungles either in the wild or, as I suspect these were, bred in captivity.

Did you get a new wooden spoon for Christmas "

Evie

over a year ago

Who knows

And humans?

I didn't think so

Exactly .. they should have been left in the jungle where they came from.. "

A lot of zoo animals are rescues or bred in the zoo, they wouldn’t survive in the wild and can’t be released

over a year ago

evesham

Who knows

And humans?

I didn't think so

Did you get a new wooden spoon for Christmas

Evie "

What?!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

In their natural habitat they would be prey once they were of an age they couldn't stay with the group, maybe the option taken is more humane than that..?

Have taken our dogs to be humanely put to sleep before when it gets to that and will do so again, it's fucking awful but it's done for the right reasons..

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

And if it's a human?"

My husband died of stomach cancer weighing five stone. I think it would have been humane to euthanise him a few weeks before he died.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I recently had to have one of my dogs euthanized this was due to age related illness and complications related to that, and I can tell you now it is the hardest thing in the world to do but like fuck was I going to sit there and let her suffer, struggling to get up or go out for a wee or get to her food just because she may of had a few more days left in her, that is sick and not the way any animal should ever be treated, the way you worded this Tom makes it sound like they just decided to have them put down for no reason what so ever which isn't really the case as has been shown from the articles relating to it, these animals where suffering and to leave them suffering would have been cruel these zoo keepers love the animals they care for as much as I love my dogs and the would have been in bits making the decision to put them down."

So beautifully said. I went through same with my dog. It was the worst thing ever but like you I know it was only matter of hours, not even days, and surely did not want him to suffer a moment longer. I hope someone is as kind to me when my time comes. Don't know much about this case but I hope it will have been only to stop the suffering and on the advise of professionals.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Is it not a good thing that we have the power to decide when an animal is suffering too much that we can ease their passing?

Having witnessed end of life care for loved ones, even though the nursing care was fantastic, watching them struggle for breath and endure pain was horrendous. I'd have eased their passing without question. "

I have often wondered why we let humans suffer so much, as the kindest thing at times is to let them go.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

[Removed by poster at 08/01/22 15:59:50]

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

[Removed by poster at 08/01/22 16:01:38]

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"Lions in the wild when they're old basically starve to death or are killed by predators that find them in a weakened condition. I love lions and although this is sad it feels better to euthanize than let them slowly starve to death or be killed by younger lions"

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

"I have often wondered why we let humans suffer so much, as the kindest thing at times is to let them go."

Said Harold Shipman!

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr southend

"Is it not a good thing that we have the power to decide when an animal is suffering too much that we can ease their passing?

Having witnessed end of life care for loved ones, even though the nursing care was fantastic, watching them struggle for breath and endure pain was horrendous. I'd have eased their passing without question.

I have often wondered why we let humans suffer so much, as the kindest thing at times is to let them go."

I wonder this aswell, having watched relatives slowly wither away suffering until their last breath because we arent allowed to end the suffering, where the hell is the "humanity" in that yet we understand that it's best not to let an animal suffer any more than it has to why does this not apply to our own species?

over a year ago

"A British zoo is putting too lions to sleep.. their only crime.. old age.

It is all over the news and shame on those zoos..."

They were euthanised because they had a number of age related conditions, this would more than likely have been causing them pain. A lion in the wild in pain would not survive and have a long drawn out death. Since Lions are the main predators they do not have anything that would predate them. Euthanasia is the best and kindest thing a caregiver can do for them, whatever the animal if it it sick. It’s hardly animal slaughter, but not being an animal lover I don’t suppose you understand that

over a year ago

People put old cats if they are suffering or in distress...just bigger cats

over a year ago

"I recently had to have one of my dogs euthanized this was due to age related illness and complications related to that, and I can tell you now it is the hardest thing in the world to do but like fuck was I going to sit there and let her suffer, struggling to get up or go out for a wee or get to her food just because she may of had a few more days left in her, that is sick and not the way any animal should ever be treated, the way you worded this Tom makes it sound like they just decided to have them put down for no reason what so ever which isn't really the case as has been shown from the articles relating to it, these animals where suffering and to leave them suffering would have been cruel these zoo keepers love the animals they care for as much as I love my dogs and the would have been in bits making the decision to put them down."

So sorry about your dog, but yes it’s really a day too soon is better than a day too late. I had to let my girl go in 2019. I still miss her as she was a fantastic dog but it just wasn’t fair to keep her going.

over a year ago

"A British zoo is putting too lions to sleep.. their only crime.. old age.

It is all over the news and shame on those zoos..."

I’m actually surprised that came from you

over a year ago

MrsN is in her 40s. I think a trip to the zoo is in order. That or a "holiday" to Switzerland! M

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr southend

"I recently had to have one of my dogs euthanized this was due to age related illness and complications related to that, and I can tell you now it is the hardest thing in the world to do but like fuck was I going to sit there and let her suffer, struggling to get up or go out for a wee or get to her food just because she may of had a few more days left in her, that is sick and not the way any animal should ever be treated, the way you worded this Tom makes it sound like they just decided to have them put down for no reason what so ever which isn't really the case as has been shown from the articles relating to it, these animals where suffering and to leave them suffering would have been cruel these zoo keepers love the animals they care for as much as I love my dogs and the would have been in bits making the decision to put them down.

So sorry about your dog, but yes it’s really a day too soon is better than a day too late. I had to let my girl go in 2019. I still miss her as she was a fantastic dog but it just wasn’t fair to keep her going. "

Exactly this its heartbreaking to have to do it but less heartbreaking than watching them suffer for no reason

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

They could have lived out their natural lives in peace...

Either in a quiet field or back to the jungle where they came from

over a year ago

North West

"They could have lived out their natural lives in peace...

Either in a quiet field or back to the jungle where they came from"

Perhaps volunteer your back garden

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

And you could have read peoples clear explanations as to why that would be more cruel, rather than repeating yourself.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Lions don't live in the jungle, they live on the plains. They would have been torn to pieces - not only because they were new lions but because they would be seen as easy prey. Putting an animal down because of ill health is not a decision taken lightly.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

^ On top of that, they would starve.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The noble lion is classed as the king of the jungle. Has nobody seen the jungle book

over a year ago

"The noble lion is classed as the king of the jungle. Has nobody seen the jungle book"

I think you mean lion king, jungle book is actually set in India and Indian lions live in a forest not a jungle where as lion king is set in Africa

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

So what do you want?

Euthanise the animal - probably more humane?

Or...

Set it free back into the wild where another big C***t of a male lion will maul it to death cos it's weak?

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Should they have let nature take its course Tom?

Let them slowly starve until they could barely walk, because they were struggling to move and feed...

Then move a Hyhena pack into their enclosure to finish them off. They probably have a couple of Vultures to clean up all the mess after.....

I can totaly understand someone being against keeping animals in captivity.... But I can't understand anyone being against the humane treatment of animal's already in captivity!

And yes I do support the right to a dignified, humane death for humans too!

over a year ago

"

And if it's a human?

My husband died of stomach cancer weighing five stone. I think it would have been humane to euthanise him a few weeks before he died. "

Feel for you - my Mum had Colon Cancer and wouldn’t let anyone but my Dad visit for her last few months. She was skin and bone and it was heartbreaking

over a year ago

If this is the case !

Awful !

I should been put out misery years ago !

By *ear in the chairMan
over a year ago

Godstone

"The noble lion is classed as the king of the jungle. Has nobody seen the jungle book"

Tom, I'm sure many agree with you and would happily have let them live out their old age in pain and failing health in a beautiful enclosure with a Tom. A bit like Tom and Jerry but maybe a quicker ending

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Should do this with people as well I would not what to live if quality of life was rubbish.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Wish I’d had my cat put down sooner. His last days were awful.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I wonder if the money men influence decisions..

I am no animal lover but the jungle is safer without them..

A caged animal should never be released to wreak revenge on their captors..

Post new Message to Thread