Anyone else

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

get emotional when leaving a job? No? Just me then

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

With every change - even a positive one - there comes a loss. So it’s perfectly natural that you should feel emotion over that.

Congrats and good luck!

over a year ago

With some jobs...you spend more time around each other than your family.

So it's bound to make you emotional if you have a good bond with your workmates.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I'm a contractor (office based) and can still get a bit emotional at the end of a contract.

over a year ago

I’ve only ever been self employed so I’ve never had the experience of leaving a ‘job’ so to speak.

over a year ago

"With some jobs...you spend more time around each other than your family.

So it's bound to make you emotional if you have a good bond with your workmates."

Very true! I love my colleagues, I work in the charity sector and they’re all fantastic, my manager is now one of my closest friends

over a year ago

Yes but I was angry more than anything else. I was in a solicitors for nearly 7 years and then a accountant came in as a new C.O.O. and decided to get rid of 20 of us. I was furious how I was treated x

By *o new WinksMan
over a year ago

BSE

Not really. I compartmentalise my life.

I had great friends at Uni...never spoke to again.

I transferred 3 times after working for yrs in diff places. Never felt anything or kept in touch.

Pragmatism tells me my life is full and I don't have time for history.

I do, however,work in an environment that doesn't really foster closeness or loyalty, so that may be a factor.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Yeah a little - changed jobs a month or so ago after 14 years, and it was weird and kinda sad. Got a card and a bottle, which was nice, and there were a few heartfelt words.

over a year ago

Never, but everyone has been my choice so perhaps no reason to. Every departure is different so being emotional something that might happen ie it won't just be you.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I have, but I get emotional over everything!

over a year ago

Sometimes overly happy emotions. I like to leave a job Jerry Maguire style!

over a year ago

"Never, but everyone has been my choice so perhaps no reason to. Every departure is different so being emotional something that might happen ie it won't just be you."

Lol everyone has been my choice too! In fact they were desperate to keep me!

over a year ago

"I have, but I get emotional over everything! "

Haha me too! I get teary at tv all the time

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I've not changed employer for 9 years. I'd definitely be emotional if/when I ever leave

over a year ago

"get emotional when leaving a job? No? Just me then "

No, well once. Anyhow i have a new face in my hotlist now

over a year ago

"get emotional when leaving a job? No? Just me then

No, well once. Anyhow i have a new face in my hotlist now "

Haha I used to live in Repton!

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I left my old job in June after 15 years, and I was a wreck. A lot of people had been there for a long time like I had. Still miss working with them but still pop in and see them every now and then.

I don't feel I'll ever have that closeness with any of my new colleagues.

over a year ago

"I left my old job in June after 15 years, and I was a wreck. A lot of people had been there for a long time like I had. Still miss working with them but still pop in and see them every now and then.

I don't feel I'll ever have that closeness with any of my new colleagues.

"

Wow that’s so long! I’ve never stayed in a role for more than 2 years

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

Nope. I was so pleased to be leaving my last job, only I'm now in a position where I want a new job.

over a year ago

"Nope. I was so pleased to be leaving my last job, only I'm now in a position where I want a new job."

I’m told it’s a jobseekers market after announcing my departure I was inundated with charities contacting me about roles!

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

No idea. I’ve been in the same job my whole life.

over a year ago

"No idea. I’ve been in the same job my whole life. "

Oh wow! I would have loved to have stayed with my current charity but I also am highly ambitious and there were limited progression opportunities (aiming to be a charity chief exec by 50)

By *hosewhomgonakedCouple
over a year ago

Scotland

I've left my job two years ago and feel better than ever! So glad I'm now a full time homesteader

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

"Nope. I was so pleased to be leaving my last job, only I'm now in a position where I want a new job.

I’m told it’s a jobseekers market after announcing my departure I was inundated with charities contacting me about roles! "

I would love to work for a charity

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"No idea. I’ve been in the same job my whole life.

Oh wow! I would have loved to have stayed with my current charity but I also am highly ambitious and there were limited progression opportunities (aiming to be a charity chief exec by 50)"

I've been with the organisation I work for now for 9yrs but not in the same role all the time.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I left a job I loved a few years back as another opportunity and big promotion came up. I was very sad to do it and missed everyone all the time. Two years later I went back as was missing the job and everyone so much. It was like I had never left. I stayed 5 more years before eventually did move to another job which although took me a while I did settle in and loved it too.

over a year ago

"get emotional when leaving a job? No? Just me then

No, well once. Anyhow i have a new face in my hotlist now

Haha I used to live in Repton! "

No way! How long ago?

over a year ago

"Nope. I was so pleased to be leaving my last job, only I'm now in a position where I want a new job.

I’m told it’s a jobseekers market after announcing my departure I was inundated with charities contacting me about roles!

I would love to work for a charity"

It’s truly fulfilling! And the sector is really struggling to recruit as wages are lower than in the private sector! The charity sector is the one to work in if you truly want to see just how kind and amazing humans can be!

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I've not gotten emotional over leaving a job, but I do get very emotional over leaving some colleagues.

I contracted for decades so have left a lot of jobs, but I do try to keep in touch with the colleagues I've really liked.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

I went through a lot of different jobs between leaving school and finally settling into where I am now. I had, if I remember rightly, 21 jobs in 23 years, and that includes a four year apprenticeship, three years at uni and a four year stint at the place I was at before my current job. I did lots of contract work for several years, so some of them were only a few weeks. I miss the good ones, and often wonder what old colleagues are doing now. Some of them were so shit though I still feel relieved that I’m not there anymore. Been in my current job 13 years and I love it; can’t imagine doing anything else now.

over a year ago

I effectively leave my current job in a weeks time although on holiday and garden leave for a while after that. I loved the job and the Company up to the start of lockdown snd working from home. I found that difficult and that affected my enjoyment so mixed emotions now, especially as it’s redundancy. I’ll miss some of the people, but the lack of real support and the contract termination have left a bitter taste.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

It depends on the job. The only emotions I'm going to feel when I leave my current shit show are relief and happiness. Luke

over a year ago

The only emotion I had when I left my last job was elation!

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"The only emotion I had when I left my last job was elation! "

One of the highlights of my entire working career, when being told by my boss “I’ve got a drawer full of applicants for your job”, was to respond with “best you get on the phone then”, throw the truck keys at his head and walk out the door. I hitched home from the middle of France; not sure how he got his lorry moved in time.

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

I would love to work for a charity

It’s truly fulfilling! And the sector is really struggling to recruit as wages are lower than in the private sector! The charity sector is the one to work in if you truly want to see just how kind and amazing humans can be! "

Absolutely. I was on a charity committee and was treasurer for a small local charity. The good it did others was incredibly heart warming.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I’ve worked for the same place for 29 years

By *il sub princessWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

Yes, each site I've left I've cried like a baby. I seen these people more than my own kids, it broke my heart

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I’ve worked for the same place for 29 years "

They will be starting the collection for that grand retirement clock soon

over a year ago

"Yes, each site I've left I've cried like a baby. I seen these people more than my own kids, it broke my heart "

Glad I’m not the only one

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

Last time I changed job was in 1994 and I've only had 3 jobs. So I can't really remember.

Post new Message to Thread