Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Pretty privilege

Jump to newest

By *hatYorkLad OP   Man
over a year ago

York

So I've just wasted some of my precious life reading through Twitter spats on the latest comments from 22 year old 'influencer' Molly Mae about how to be successful. She claims to have 'worked her arse off' to be earning £275 an hour and that we could all be as successful as her if we used our 24 hours a day like she does. But a lot of comments argue that she has only got where she is because she's what society deems attractive, and that is what has opened all these doors of opportunity.

So my question to fab is, do you think pretty privilege is a thing? Have you benefitted from it or being held back because of it throughout your life? Have you seen others unfairly promoted or living the high life just because they were blessed with good genes? It applies to blokes too although not quite to the same degree.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

“Pretty privilege”…

I’ve not heard it put that way before, but I do think it’s a thing.

I’ve encountered many people in my life that have quite evidently managed on their looks, not their talent.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Personally when I was working i'd like to think I got my job based on being a friendly, caring and polite person with a good use of common sense, however if i'd have been up against someone with those qualities but with added good looks stunning figure and a pretty face I wouldn't have got the job

I think you can go far in life if you have the looks to go with it but you need to have the full package, not just the looks.

Sorry, i'm babbling but ut made sense to me

over a year ago

“ influencer” isn’t as easy as people think she has done well for her self

For ever big name out there there’s 1000s off people who haven’t went anywhere

I know a lot off small YouTubers and influencers who put out some grate content but just haven’t hit it big at all

For instance Alex Tejeda fitness model

https://m.youtube.com/c/AlexTejeda/videos

2.4K subs she’s drop dead beautiful just hasn’t hit the agrithum yet

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

It’s a thing but isn’t her family already stupidly successful?

Beautiful women are everywhere. Beautiful women with super successful parents aren’t

I think the biggest privilege is wealth / power

But being pretty definitely grants you some privilege

over a year ago

If you acknowledge pretty privilege then you’ve lost it. pretty privilege - never heard of it

over a year ago

I work in a university & teach on a programme where we tend to get more women than men, I’d say that some young women from affluent backgrounds that dress well and have a lot of self confidence perform a sort of self-appointed privilege but I don’t think it is something that happens passively. I’m inclined to think that wealth affording people the means to perform a sort of privilege in which normative ‘good looks’ is key is what is going on there. I’ve also noticed that a lot of beauty-related influencers have come from well-off families so perhaps it plays into your observations OP..?

over a year ago

"It’s a thing but isn’t her family already stupidly successful?

Beautiful women are everywhere. Beautiful women with super successful parents aren’t

I think the biggest privilege is wealth / power

But being pretty definitely grants you some privilege "

Agree

over a year ago

"“ influencer” isn’t as easy as people think she has done well for her self

I know a lot off small YouTubers and influencers who put out some grate content but just haven’t hit it big at all

"

Then on the other scale off things you have people like

Stephanie Buttermore on 1.2millon and killing it

https://m.youtube.com/c/StephanieButtermore/videos

By *ravelling TogMan
over a year ago

Sleaford

I remember seeing something about a lass who was a backing violinist for Robbie Williams at the Albert Hall and she rocked up the the audition with only the ability to badly play two notes, played them got told she was aweful but because she looked good they'd give her a mute bow and put her near the front.

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

"

I saw an interesting perspective reflecting on people saying that she works hard, and it was saying that there’s a difference between effort and doing hard work. They were sure that whilst she puts 100% effort into her work, it’s not what would typically be described as hard work.

I don’t follow her so am only repeating what I thought was an interesting take on it

By *ternal PunishmentCouple
over a year ago

The Abyss

[Removed by poster at 07/01/22 13:04:22]

By *ternal PunishmentCouple
over a year ago

The Abyss

Your watching lose women aren't you

over a year ago

I saw an interesting perspective reflecting on people saying that she works hard, and it was saying that there’s a difference between effort and doing hard work. They were sure that whilst she puts 100% effort into her work, it’s not what would typically be described as hard work.

I don’t follow her so am only repeating what I thought was an interesting take on it "

It’s not hard in the sens off physical but emotional it takes it toll on you

You question your self at everstep that are people going to like this as one wrong step and that could be the end you have to watch what you say at all times

Here a video off 10 YouTubers who went from make millions a month to nothing in the space off one video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBGETEMfqM

By *ungmagic10Man
over a year ago

Northampton

Ofc its a thing

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Good looking people are treated better in every walk of life. It's noticeable even on fab or should I say especially on fab.

I don't know the person being discussed here but I do know that successful people who have worked hard to get where they are tend to be very dismissive of people who can't achieve vwhat they have for whatever reason.

over a year ago

It’s absolutely a thing, sex sells and it’s as simple as that.

IG models aren’t sent items and offered partnerships and brand sponsors because they look like Susan Boyle.

You’ll never see dad boss and mum tums on love island and then have a successful modelling career off the back of it.

That’s not to say people don’t work for/at it but I’m sure there’s a whole team in the background helping with the heavy lifting so to speak.

over a year ago

People are stupid enough to click on their crap and like their pics it's why they are rich, fuck all to do with talent, half them look like oompaa loompas

over a year ago

This definitely isn't a new thing and there was a report several years that said people who are deemed attractive tend to earn more than those that aren't.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It’s absolutely a thing, sex sells and it’s as simple as that.

IG models aren’t sent items and offered partnerships and brand sponsors because they look like Susan Boyle.

You’ll never see dad boss and mum tums on love island and then have a successful modelling career off the back of it.

That’s not to say people don’t work for/at it but I’m sure there’s a whole team in the background helping with the heavy lifting so to speak."

If that's the case then there's such a thing as intelligence privilege where people have succesful careers and make loads of money based on their ability to use their intelligence and exploit their particular subject.

over a year ago

"Good looking people are treated better in every walk of life. It's noticeable even on fab or should I say especially on fab.

I don't know the person being discussed here but I do know that successful people who have worked hard to get where they are tend to be very dismissive of people who can't achieve vwhat they have for whatever reason.

"

I find the whole work hard and you will be successful thing total rubbish.

My sister works 12 hours a day, 5/6 days a week in a commercial laundry. She works bloody hard but still struggles to make ends meet.

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

It can work the other way around though. People often assume that ‘pretty’ people are self centred and unintelligent without even knowing them.

I’ve seen threads on here where men that work out and have toned muscles are put down because it’s assumed they spend all their time in the gym and are obsessed with their bodies. That’s one more recent example I can think of on here.

over a year ago

Who the heck is Molly Mae?

All this Influencer crap makes me laugh. Assuming their followers are the types who can't make the simplest decisions for themselves.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Who the heck is Molly Mae?

All this Influencer crap makes me laugh. Assuming their followers are the types who can't make the simplest decisions for themselves. "

I think there's a market for older influencers. I could take pictures of myself first thing in the morning and say that this is what happens if you don't use expensive products. They'd fly off the shelves

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It can work the other way around though. People often assume that ‘pretty’ people are self centred and unintelligent without even knowing them.

I’ve seen threads on here where men that work out and have toned muscles are put down because it’s assumed they spend all their time in the gym and are obsessed with their bodies. That’s one more recent example I can think of on here.

"

I very much agree with this. The common assumption is that good looking people have poor personalities.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

It's called the Halo Effect. She might work hard for the content she puts out but give that work schedule to someone less attractive for the things she does and I very much doubt they'll be as successful.

over a year ago

Not sure who molly is but being from a musical background there’s definitely a Pretty privilege.

You can see a blind guy ripping up his guitar on YouTube. He’s written the song and performed it gaining only a couple thousand views yet a Bonny lass in a crop top single strumming Sweet child of mine or Smells like teen spirit gets hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of views.

Unfortunately life isn’t a meritocracy as I’ve been told a few times. I gets to the stage where people just need to ignore these “Influencers”

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Not sure who molly is but being from a musical background there’s definitely a Pretty privilege.

You can see a blind guy ripping up his guitar on YouTube. He’s written the song and performed it gaining only a couple thousand views yet a Bonny lass in a crop top single strumming Sweet child of mine or Smells like teen spirit gets hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of views.

Unfortunately life isn’t a meritocracy as I’ve been told a few times. I gets to the stage where people just need to ignore these “Influencers” "

The term influencer is very apt. People won't ignore them... they're in thrall to them now.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Nothing trump's hard work..

over a year ago

That’s not to say people don’t work for/at it but I’m sure there’s a whole team in the background helping with the heavy lifting so to speak.

If that's the case then there's such a thing as intelligence privilege where people have succesful careers and make loads of money based on their ability to use their intelligence and exploit their particular subject. "

Well that is a thing, it’s called life and people are either successful or they’re not. To the best of my knowledge though nobody has been given the opportunity for a modelling career, brand partnerships or tv appearances through their ability to do accounts…

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

If that's the case then there's such a thing as intelligence privilege where people have succesful careers and make loads of money based on their ability to use their intelligence and exploit their particular subject.

Well that is a thing, it’s called life and people are either successful or they’re not. To the best of my knowledge though nobody has been given the opportunity for a modelling career, brand partnerships or tv appearances through their ability to do accounts…

"

Nope people play to their strengths. If you're clever, hard working and good looking the world is your oyster. It's how it works.

over a year ago

"Not sure who molly is but being from a musical background there’s definitely a Pretty privilege.

Unfortunately life isn’t a meritocracy as I’ve been told a few times. I gets to the stage where people just need to ignore these “Influencers” "

That’s nothing to do with the crop top or anything

That’s YouTube agrithum working it’s magic

First off the person probably titled the video in a popular song title

Smells like teen spirit Cover now anytime someone searches for that song on YouTube it’s going to pop up

Next up you have the thumbs up thumbs down

The more the thumbs up to thumbs down ratio is the higher it’s going to be on the list

Next up is subcount the more you have the easyer it is to reach people quickly it’s like fabs hot pics

over a year ago

It is and always has been in certain business streams. An slim attractive woman if equal to or close to a larger "plain" looking lady will be hired first, it's sad and wrong but that's the world.

Not all business or people operate this way, but it happens. Pretty and capable will trump excellent and plain everytime. It's sad and horrible, especially to be on the end of it.

over a year ago

Definitely that attitude in some aspects of fabbing… pretty people only parties where the hosts ask for partygoers then delete your request for an invite without any response or blatantly state too old, too big, too ugly etc…

over a year ago

"Who the heck is Molly Mae?

All this Influencer crap makes me laugh. Assuming their followers are the types who can't make the simplest decisions for themselves.

I think there's a market for older influencers. I could take pictures of myself first thing in the morning and say that this is what happens if you don't use expensive products. They'd fly off the shelves "

I'd have to squint at my screen to see properly. Then think hmm that burning smell is the toast under the grill. Ooh I'll make a coffee. What's that cat doing in the garden? Oh no it's raining. What's that burning smell? What was that woman selling that I looking at? Think I'll make some toast...

over a year ago

Nope people play to their strengths. If you're clever, hard working and good looking the world is your oyster. It's how it works. "

So you don’t think “pretty privilege” is a thing? Just say that then

over a year ago

Unfortunately life isn’t a meritocracy as I’ve been told a few times. I gets to the stage where people just need to ignore these “Influencers”

Smells like teen spirit Cover now anytime someone searches for that song on YouTube it’s going to pop up

The more the thumbs up to thumbs down ratio is the higher it’s going to be on the list

Next up is subcount the more you have the easyer it is to reach people quickly it’s like fabs hot pics

"

I used YouTube as an example but it’s the same on any site, I’m not complaining as I gave up on that some time ago the same time I gave up on making music.

I didn’t see the point anymore

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"So I've just wasted some of my precious life reading through Twitter spats on the latest comments from 22 year old 'influencer' Molly Mae about how to be successful. She claims to have 'worked her arse off' to be earning £275 an hour and that we could all be as successful as her if we used our 24 hours a day like she does. But a lot of comments argue that she has only got where she is because she's what society deems attractive, and that is what has opened all these doors of opportunity.

So my question to fab is, do you think pretty privilege is a thing? Have you benefitted from it or being held back because of it throughout your life? Have you seen others unfairly promoted or living the high life just because they were blessed with good genes? It applies to blokes too although not quite to the same degree."

It's a thing. In the example you mention. She may well work hard. But she wouldn't be where she is without her appearance on that TV show and she wouldn't have been on that TV show if she didn't look and behave the way she does. Simply rewarding the cult of tans and tits for having tans and tits is rather sick making but it seems to be what a large number of us want... Hence why she does rather well for sharing her tan and tits with us and little else.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Nope people play to their strengths. If you're clever, hard working and good looking the world is your oyster. It's how it works.

So you don’t think “pretty privilege” is a thing? Just say that then "

I do think it's a thing, I think I even said that earlier. What I am saying is that privilege can also be based on other things.

I've experienced privilege on the basis that I'm a woman or that I've been better dressed or more qualified than the next person. If I was drop dead gorgeous I would definitely use it to my advantage but by the same token if I possessed razor sharp intelligence I'd use that too.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Working in tech, no way can you progress based on looks!

over a year ago

I used YouTube as an example but it’s the same on any site, I’m not complaining as I gave up on that some time ago the same time I gave up on making music.

I didn’t see the point anymore "

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

https://m.youtube.com/c/LDevineMusic/videos

Jenny March 2.1k subs

https://m.youtube.com/user/OfficialJennyMarch

Hali D 439 subs pritty much gave up

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzoLmYWh_iUlFRttZnA4RJQ/videos

Despite all being beautiful woman haven’t went anywhere because they not hiting the agrithum at all

Ai Mori 484k cover girl singer

https://m.youtube.com/c/AiMori/videos

What’s the difference bween those 3 at the top not going anywhere and ai

Well look at how ai is title her videos

Covering popular songs so when people are looking for sed songs she’s poping up

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Working in tech, no way can you progress based on looks!"

Exactly!

Brain surgeons are usually employed based on skill too

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Despite all being beautiful woman haven’t went anywhere because they not hiting the agrithum at all

"

Guess I’ll start labelling my songs as covers they may gain some attention eh.

over a year ago

I do think it's a thing, I think I even said that earlier. What I am saying is that privilege can also be based on other things.

I've experienced privilege on the basis that I'm a woman or that I've been better dressed or more qualified than the next person. If I was drop dead gorgeous I would definitely use it to my advantage but by the same token if I possessed razor sharp intelligence I'd use that too."

I never denied other privileges existed? This thread is about pretty privilege, not race, gender, intellectual, or any other privileges

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I do believe it's a thing. I don't think it means people only got to the position they're in because of their looks though, just that at no point have they been treated less favourably because of their looks. Its likely they're still talented and hard working, it just may have been harder for someone without their looks to get to the same position.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've experienced privilege on the basis that I'm a woman or that I've been better dressed or more qualified than the next person. If I was drop dead gorgeous I would definitely use it to my advantage but by the same token if I possessed razor sharp intelligence I'd use that too.

I never denied other privileges existed? This thread is about pretty privilege, not race, gender, intellectual, or any other privileges"

Ok. I thought it was a discussion.

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Guess I’ll start labelling my songs as covers they may gain some attention eh. "

Yes you got it in one

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one "

To be fair I think this was the one that was my final straw musically. 6.3m views. Tell me what the attraction is with this one?

https://youtu.be/aIxjgNNigu8

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

To be fair I think this was the one that was my final straw musically. 6.3m views. Tell me what the attraction is with this one?

https://youtu.be/aIxjgNNigu8 "

Oh noooooo that's nasty (musically) nice boob job though.

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

https://youtu.be/aIxjgNNigu8 "

Stright away

Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses (cover)

So anyone searching that song it’s going to pop up

Next up you have 102k thumbs up

So the likes are so high it’s going to be higher up on the list basically it’s showing people like it so YouTube agrithum bot is pushing it to people

Next you have 1.2 million sub count

That works like fab hot pics the more viewers you got in a 24 hour period means you fly in to the viral video trending pages agein pushing you to more people

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

HOTEL CALIFORNIA by the EAGLES | Fabio Rodrigues & Allie Sherlock Cover

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mifx15EdB0Y

22 million viewers

Whare you see a woman “flating” here beauty I see the real work and thought odd what’s when in to it

A understanding off how YouTube works

The reason I know these things is this is exactly how I make a living

By *lairekTV/TS
over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 07/01/22 14:15:40]

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

Stright away

So the likes are so high it’s going to be higher up on the list basically it’s showing people like it so YouTube agrithum bot is pushing it to people

That works like fab hot pics the more viewers you got in a 24 hour period means you fly in to the viral video trending pages agein pushing you to more people

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

22 million viewers

Whare you see a woman “flating” here beauty I see the real work and thought odd what’s when in to it

The reason I know these things is this is exactly how I make a living "

Hotel California is a much more technical song than the 4 chords that lady is playing. I’ve looked at covers like that as it’s easier to read their playing and learn from them. I can understand someone with talent gaining the views and have zero complaints but getting that far on just your tits, it’s not really right. Algorithms or not

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

Stright away

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

22 million viewers

Hotel California is a much more technical song than the 4 chords that lady is playing. I’ve looked at covers like that as it’s easier to read their playing and learn from them. I can understand someone with talent gaining the views and have zero complaints but getting that far on just your tits, it’s not really right. Algorithms or not "

But like I have shown woman not going anywhere

Yes is here Beaty drawing people in probably

But if she hadn’t title the song a popular name she wouldn’t have went anywhere

For any music artist starting on YouTube

My best recommendation is stay away from your own stuff to start with

Abuse the agrithum to the max by covering popul songs till you built a sub base then ever so offeten realise your own stuff

There was the other week some asked to change jobs I gave them a recommendation

On something completely got blanked

Doctor Mike Dude reacts to injury in movies and such

8.8 million subs clearing ruffly 2-3 million $ a month has the market to him self

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=960Dn0H-tDQ 4.8milon viewers that’s 480k not including sponsors spots and what not

They completely blank my post

I try to help people

But oooo what do it know

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

Stright away

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

22 million viewers

Hotel California is a much more technical song than the 4 chords that lady is playing. I’ve looked at covers like that as it’s easier to read their playing and learn from them. I can understand someone with talent gaining the views and have zero complaints but getting that far on just your tits, it’s not really right. Algorithms or not

Abuse the agrithum to the max by covering popul songs till you built a sub base then ever so offeten realise your own stuff

8.8 million subs clearing ruffly 2-3 million $ a month has the market to him self

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=960Dn0H-tDQ 4.8milon viewers that’s 480k not including sponsors spots and what not

I try to help people

But oooo what do it know

"

While I appreciate your suggestions of steering clear of the original music I’ve written I certainly won’t be doing that, I’ve spent over 20 years learning my instrument (not that one don’t be naughty) and learning how to properly write songs. I certainly won’t bend to an algorithm

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

Stright away

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

22 million viewers

I try to help people

But oooo what do it know

While I appreciate your suggestions of steering clear of the original music I’ve written I certainly won’t be doing that, I’ve spent over 20 years learning my instrument (not that one don’t be naughty) and learning how to properly write songs. I certainly won’t bend to an algorithm "

Well than your not going to go anywhere on YouTube best I can recommend in that sens is try and shop your stuff to gmv or game music videos

Like Blackheart Music or Royalty Free Music

As free to use license and with a link to your channel in the description and hopefully it pulls in people

Other wise your at a lose when it comes to YouTube as your not going to hit the search feld and people wouldn’t know someone unknown from somewhere in the uk

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

She’s used her looks to carve a career out for herself . I see nothing wrong with that. To suggest she’s privileged because of how she was born is a bit harsh isn’t it.

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

Stright away

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

22 million viewers

I try to help people

But oooo what do it know

While I appreciate your suggestions of steering clear of the original music I’ve written I certainly won’t be doing that, I’ve spent over 20 years learning my instrument (not that one don’t be naughty) and learning how to properly write songs. I certainly won’t bend to an algorithm

Well than your not going to go anywhere on YouTube best I can recommend in that sens is try and shop your stuff to gmv or game music videos

As free to use license and with a link to your channel in the description and hopefully it pulls in people

Other wise your at a lose when it comes to YouTube as your not going to hit the search feld and people wouldn’t know someone unknown from somewhere in the uk

"

That’s the issue with music nowadays too though that folk would rely on an algorithm to pick what they’re listening to. Either way as I say, I’ve given up on music. I’ve thousands of pounds in live equipment and studio equipment I’ll be moving off over this year. As you say I’ll go nowhere with my 149 original tracks

over a year ago

Here you go

L Devine 21k subs

Jenny March 2.1k subs

Yes you got it in one

Stright away

Here you go a guy

Fabio Rodrigues

22 million viewers

I try to help people

But oooo what do it know

That’s the issue with music nowadays too though that folk would rely on an algorithm to pick what they’re listening to. Either way as I say, I’ve given up on music. I’ve thousands of pounds in live equipment and studio equipment I’ll be moving off over this year. As you say I’ll go nowhere with my 149 original tracks "

Honestly take your 149 original tracks and shop them around gmv and stuff and see you get hits

Join music groups on Reddit and post the YouTube video see if you pull viewers in agrthum isn’t the be all and end all but it is the quick and fast way to stardom

over a year ago

Making money is making money, if your earning and happy ultimately thats all that matters and it doesnt really matter how its done.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"She’s used her looks to carve a career out for herself . I see nothing wrong with that. To suggest she’s privileged because of how she was born is a bit harsh isn’t it. "

Not really. I'm privileged because I was born into a white middle class family in a developed country. Its not an insult, its just an acknowledgement that if you were born differently, your life may be harder.

By *aliceWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

There are plenty of conventionally beautiful people who don't make a success of anything. So while good looks can definitely be an advantage she and others like her have invariably got where they are through good organisational, negotiation and marketing skills and an ability to cope with a lot of set backs, not to mention all of the adverse reactions that tend to come with the territory.

Most criticism of successful women is invariably just thinly veiled misogyny.

Privilege is definitely a thing, but we can tackle white privilege long before we need to start inventing pretty privilege.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I used to work with a lady (who is now a good friend) who joined our company in her early twenties and was the spitting image of a young Ulrikka Johnson.

Everybody (men and women) cooed over her. The women mothered her and the men drooled over her, openly.

That said, whenever she came out with any good ideas, it was treated like a fluke event. Never mind she’d been to Uni and got all the necessary qualifications etc.

over a year ago

"She’s used her looks to carve a career out for herself . I see nothing wrong with that. To suggest she’s privileged because of how she was born is a bit harsh isn’t it. "

Why is it harsh? She does have privilege? It's stating fact. She is white, pretty, comes from a wealthy family. She's got a lot of privilege and that's fine - but she is lecturing others who maybe don't have that privilege.

By *oldfischMan
over a year ago

HARROW

'Influencers' are basically modern versions of pop music/film stars of the past. It's been a requirement for stars to look great on screen since the 1920's.....

By *age500Woman
over a year ago

ashton-under-lyne

I think it can work both ways…being attractive can help you, but it can also mean that people struggle to take you seriously.

over a year ago

"She’s used her looks to carve a career out for herself . I see nothing wrong with that. To suggest she’s privileged because of how she was born is a bit harsh isn’t it.

Why is it harsh? She does have privilege? It's stating fact. She is white, pretty, comes from a wealthy family. She's got a lot of privilege and that's fine - but she is lecturing others who maybe don't have that privilege. "

Nobody has to watch her.. just saying

over a year ago

It exists. Fact

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

You got me at 22 year old influencer

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

"She’s used her looks to carve a career out for herself . I see nothing wrong with that. To suggest she’s privileged because of how she was born is a bit harsh isn’t it.

Why is it harsh? She does have privilege? It's stating fact. She is white, pretty, comes from a wealthy family. She's got a lot of privilege and that's fine - but she is lecturing others who maybe don't have that privilege. "

People that bandy this word ‘privilege’ around tend to be the ones that use it as an excuse as to why they can’t get off there backsides and make the most of there lives and what god has given them. I’m white, I came from a reasonably well off family but I have worked hard for everything single thing I’ve achieved, and so did my parents and there grandparents before them. This victim culture pisses me right off

over a year ago

Why is it harsh? She does have privilege? It's stating fact. She is white, pretty, comes from a wealthy family. She's got a lot of privilege and that's fine - but she is lecturing others who maybe don't have that privilege.

Nobody has to watch her.. just saying "

The question was - does she have privilege. Yes she does. If you have money you have choices. If you're attractive, people will be biased towards you. If you're white you have all sorts of advantages even at birth.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

People that bandy this word ‘privilege’ around tend to be the ones that use it as an excuse as to why they can’t get off there backsides and make the most of there lives and what god has given them. I’m white, I came from a reasonably well off family but I have worked hard for everything single thing I’ve achieved, and so did my parents and there grandparents before them. This victim culture pisses me right off "

over a year ago

People that bandy this word ‘privilege’ around tend to be the ones that use it as an excuse as to why they can’t get off there backsides and make the most of there lives and what god has given them. I’m white, I came from a reasonably well off family but I have worked hard for everything single thing I’ve achieved, and so did my parents and there grandparents before them. This victim culture pisses me right off "

No-one is saying you haven't worked hard, but you are denying the advantages you have as a white male from a well off family. Those advantages helped you. They help me. I am white, middle class and from a well off family. I'm told I am pretty. It doesn't mean I haven't had things hard at times. It hasn't stopped me having an abusive partner. It hasn't stopped me having chronic pain. But I do acknowledge the advantages I have.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Definitely helped me when I was working front of house in hospitality. I know I got positions and opportunities because I looked the part

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

The question was - does she have privilege. Yes she does. If you have money you have choices. If you're attractive, people will be biased towards you. If you're white you have all sorts of advantages even at birth. "

Where do you draw the line with this !!?? Ronaldo was born with a great football ability! Is he football privileged? People that have 20/20 vision and don’t have to wear glasses, are they eyesight privileged?? Einstein was born with a superb brain, was he intellectually privileged???. It’s becoming an excuse for the woke brigade to not make the best of themselves. It’s embarrassing

over a year ago

The question was - does she have privilege. Yes she does. If you have money you have choices. If you're attractive, people will be biased towards you. If you're white you have all sorts of advantages even at birth.

Where do you draw the line with this !!?? Ronaldo was born with a great football ability! Is he football privileged? People that have 20/20 vision and don’t have to wear glasses, are they eyesight privileged?? Einstein was born with a superb brain, was he intellectually privileged???. It’s becoming an excuse for the woke brigade to not make the best of themselves. It’s embarrassing "

I think those strawman arguments are embarrassing.

over a year ago

Where do you draw the line with this !!?? Ronaldo was born with a great football ability! Is he football privileged? People that have 20/20 vision and don’t have to wear glasses, are they eyesight privileged?? Einstein was born with a superb brain, was he intellectually privileged???. It’s becoming an excuse for the woke brigade to not make the best of themselves. It’s embarrassing "

Does calling people 'woke' help? A bit of name calling and making broad brush sweeping statememts.

Whats wrong with being able to admit you have a few more advantages in life than others. Its a fact.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

In areas where corporate image and presentation is vital, you don't have to be Einstein to work out that looks are advantageous. Have you ever seen an air stewardess that looked like the result of a generic experiment went badly wrong? When interviewing people who were going to be the public face of my company, how they presented themselves was the first thing that I paid attention to. I've always maintained that even if you shop at charity shops, and get your make up at Boots, any woman can look attractive and professional for work or leasure, and it's much the same with guys, show me the man, and I'll have a fair idea of what his finished product is going to look like.

over a year ago

Where do you draw the line with this !!?? Ronaldo was born with a great football ability! Is he football privileged? People that have 20/20 vision and don’t have to wear glasses, are they eyesight privileged?? Einstein was born with a superb brain, was he intellectually privileged???. It’s becoming an excuse for the woke brigade to not make the best of themselves. It’s embarrassing

Does calling people 'woke' help? A bit of name calling and making broad brush sweeping statememts.

Whats wrong with being able to admit you have a few more advantages in life than others. Its a fact."

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"In areas where corporate image and presentation is vital, you don't have to be Einstein to work out that looks are advantageous. Have you ever seen an air stewardess that looked like the result of a generic experiment went badly wrong? When interviewing people who were going to be the public face of my company, how they presented themselves was the first thing that I paid attention to. I've always maintained that even if you shop at charity shops, and get your make up at Boots, any woman can look attractive and professional for work or leasure, and it's much the same with guys, show me the man, and I'll have a fair idea of what his finished product is going to look like.

"

What’s wrong with getting make up at Boots!

over a year ago

Hasn't it always been the case that being attractive opens doors? Whatever we say we make initial judgements all the time. It's a human failing.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"In areas where corporate image and presentation is vital, you don't have to be Einstein to work out that looks are advantageous. Have you ever seen an air stewardess that looked like the result of a generic experiment went badly wrong? When interviewing people who were going to be the public face of my company, how they presented themselves was the first thing that I paid attention to. I've always maintained that even if you shop at charity shops, and get your make up at Boots, any woman can look attractive and professional for work or leasure, and it's much the same with guys, show me the man, and I'll have a fair idea of what his finished product is going to look like.

"

Is wearing makeup compulsory for women to look professional?!

Is looking attractive compulsory to look/be professional?!

over a year ago

I honestly think my looks may have played parts in my career progression. I've landed top jobs up against some pretty stiff competition. I obviously would like to say I was chosen for a job from my impeccable cv

over a year ago

I think it depends on the context..

So if someone is going for a customer facing/marketing type role then I think subconsciously pretty/attractive people do potentially have an advantage.

However I think in many more walks of life/jobs people are judged more on intellect & skills/experience. In fact sometimes an exceptionally bright but v pretty/attractive person can be judged less favourably for ‘serious’ roles.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

"Good looking people are treated better in every walk of life. It's noticeable even on fab or should I say especially on fab.

"

I like this.

over a year ago

Yes, 100% I can guarantee you that pretty privilege is a real thing.

I know because I've experienced it. I was more what society deems attractive when I was slim and tiny, and my life was much easier and people were much kinder to me than they are now I'm fat. I had more job opportunities purely because of how I looked and how people interacted with me.

And Molly Mae is a great example because there's not a chance she would be where she is if she didn't look the way she looks.

I think you've got to be incredibly naive to assume it doesn't exist. It exists absolutely everywhere, not just in jobs.

over a year ago

It’s an interesting question, I’ve seen it as a benefit but also a drawback for some people.

Post new Message to Thread