FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If women are the gatekeepers to the sex and men the gatekeepers of commitment…

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

…what are the reasons why this has happened. Also stole that description off another member, sorry not sorry, it was just a good way to sum up.

Why is it that the majority of men, I’m not even using some men cos I truly believe it’s the majority, what are the reasons why they’re so reluctant to want a commitment?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Because we're made to sow our seed far and wide

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It very clearly and demonstrably isn't true. You just need to look around at the number of successful relationships where both people are committed.

Reply privately

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

There are so many men in the world who are fully committed.

Some men, and women also, just don't want commitment. There is nothing wrong with that.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Because despite what people will tell you

Most women are equally as shitty / low quality as most men

Social media has raised everyone’s standards

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Its definitely not all men.. there are some men yes that feel they gotta fuck every woman they can.. but there is fear of rejection I guess or fear of being smothered with or being controlled maybe.. but they are all crap reasons if the spark is there then what's meant to be will always find a way

Reply privately

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Because they’ve not found the one they want to make their primary partner, and until they do, it’s game on!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Because despite what people will tell you

Social media has raised everyone’s standards "

Also the availability and access to so many people means that we’ve become disposable.

Also a touch of grass is greener or what if I find someone better looking than this one better hold out.

What about just finding someone you’re attracted to and massively rate their personality and then getting to know that person. Love and feelings and all the other lush stuff will just grow and grow and get better and better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Most definitely not all men only a minority. You are probably like I was in my younger years attracted to the wrong sort of guys (bad boy image). Hopefully you will widen your search and find the one and happiness will follow

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Most of my bloke mates do want relationships though. Yes if they are single they want sex and will go looking for it, but the vast majority want someone to chat to when they get home, have cwtshes with and share their lives with. The majority of people I know regardless of gender would like to share their life with another.

I don't think there is a massive difference between genders with regards sex and relationships. Just social expectations that some pay more attention to than others.

Reply privately

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I'll paraphrase my reply from the other thread.

Society. There's no longer as much pressure to settle down and have kids. The systems often mean that men lose out the most financially if a relationship ends,, especially if kids are involved. I think some people delay commitment until they can see exactly what someone can bring to a relationship. And society teaches us that sex sells, so some people use it to demonstrate what a "catch" they are, or withhold it to show another what they're missing out on. The Internet has made the world much smaller than it once was, so meeting people is no longer as limited to people in your local area...that creates a much bigger pond to fish in and people will look for someone that ticks *all* the boxes, rather than compromise.

All gross generalisations of course, we're all individuals.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most of my bloke mates do want relationships though. Yes if they are single they want sex and will go looking for it, but the vast majority want someone to chat to when they get home, have cwtshes with and share their lives with. The majority of people I know regardless of gender would like to share their life with another.

I don't think there is a massive difference between genders with regards sex and relationships. Just social expectations that some pay more attention to than others. "

Definitely agree with you there it is on both sides

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I do think that social media and reality tv have normalised *drama" in interactions between men and women. So that what was once the exception in how men and women behaved with each other has become the norm.

There also seems to be a lot of social media accounts depicting "perfect" relationships, with spotless children, affectionate and adoring parents in white clothes in shiny houses who love each other and never argue.

Would it were so... although it would be quite boring

Reply privately

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"Most of my bloke mates do want relationships though. Yes if they are single they want sex and will go looking for it, but the vast majority want someone to chat to when they get home, have cwtshes with and share their lives with. The majority of people I know regardless of gender would like to share their life with another.

I don't think there is a massive difference between genders with regards sex and relationships. Just social expectations that some pay more attention to than others. "

That's the experience I have as well.

And my female mates are mostly the same. Although I know less women.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I don't think there is a massive difference between genders with regards sex and relationships. Just social expectations that some pay more attention to than others.

Definitely agree with you there it is on both sides"

There aren't many people I know who want to grow old by themselves. So I believe the majority want a relationship.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

And my female mates are mostly the same. Although I know less women."

I have a fairly even mix of mates. There are those who don't want ties and those who do. To me gatekeeping suggests manipulation, which if that is what you base your relationship on, then it's doomed to fail isn't it?

Reply privately

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

Also the availability and access to so many people means that we’ve become disposable.

Also a touch of grass is greener or what if I find someone better looking than this one better hold out.

What about just finding someone you’re attracted to and massively rate their personality and then getting to know that person. Love and feelings and all the other lush stuff will just grow and grow and get better and better. "

I agree with you here. Years ago people would meet in a bar etc, properly date and let the relationship develop. These days with dating apps and stuff, it's too easy for people to look for someone else and not commit to the relationship they are in.

Reply privately

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

I have a fairly even mix of mates. There are those who don't want ties and those who do. To me gatekeeping suggests manipulation, which if that is what you base your relationship on, then it's doomed to fail isn't it? "

Absolutely! That's not to say people don't do it, they absolutely do, but I don't think it is more a female or male thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I have a fairly even mix of mates. There are those who don't want ties and those who do. To me gatekeeping suggests manipulation, which if that is what you base your relationship on, then it's doomed to fail isn't it? "

100% agree with this!

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

What about just finding someone you’re attracted to and massively rate their personality and then getting to know that person. Love and feelings and all the other lush stuff will just grow and grow and get better and better. "

True, before social media and dating apps finding people was hard

Now your partner can looking for their next one while they’re sat on the toilet.

When it’s that easy the tempt to move onto the next best thing is too great for some

Loyalty is at an all time low

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I have a fairly even mix of mates. There are those who don't want ties and those who do. To me gatekeeping suggests manipulation, which if that is what you base your relationship on, then it's doomed to fail isn't it?

Absolutely! That's not to say people don't do it, they absolutely do, but I don't think it is more a female or male thing."

I think lots of people do it also. Which is why I think people struggle. I don't know maybe I'm a bit simple, but if I like someone I like someone, I don't tend to think how I should behave.

Reply privately

over a year ago

From what i know, men a reluctant cos theyve committed before and fallen victim to the woman, being cheated on, passion and love lost resulting in the break up, and more commonly but less well known, being abused by the woman. Men dont want to commit out of fear of repeating previous events and being broken down. Why bother invest so much of their energy into somethng that wont last forever?

Me, despite all the shit ive gone through with relationships, especially my last one leaving me a victim to domestic abuse, id love to commit again... but my problem is that i cant find anyone to commit to. I know to some degree that my search has tightened and i wont pursue something when i see red flags early on, but i just dont have anyone whos interested in me any capacity beyond friendship, like theres something better for them out there

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

What about just finding someone you’re attracted to and massively rate their personality and then getting to know that person. Love and feelings and all the other lush stuff will just grow and grow and get better and better.

Now your partner can looking for their next one while they’re sat on the toilet.

When it’s that easy the tempt to move onto the next best thing is too great for some

Loyalty is at an all time low "

I get that these sites help increase people's chances of finding someone else.

But I have several mates who met via on line dating, and have gone on to have long term relationships.

So they can't all be bad surely?

Reply privately

By *ourNextAddictionMan
over a year ago

Somerset

Double edged - I believe a man will truly commit if he finds a woman that holds the values hes after.

But there is a small minority of men that could never commit, they think they could but will end up looking elsewhere in search of the ‘new’ thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think this can also come down to. It’s the people One wants a relationship with, don’t want them and so, somethings wrong with society!

Maybe one is looking in the wrong place or at the wrong people. There are plenty of men who want relationships, they just might not be to ones taste perhaps?

Playing games by chasing someone who doesn’t want you. Or using sex as a means to achieve a relationship is the problem and will only continue to be a recurring problem until you set your boundaries and hold to what you want with the right person, rather than chasing the person you feel you SHOULD have.

Men don’t hold the power or are gatekeepers to relationships. Unless you allow it and play silly games. Women will only have a hold over a men with sex if the man allows it. We make our own choices on what we stand for.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

But I have several mates who met via on line dating, and have gone on to have long term relationships.

So they can't all be bad surely? "

I don’t think anyones saying it’s entirely bad

It’s connects people that might never have met, great

It also opens the door for extremely easy cheating and people looking for the greener grass. Bad

Reply privately

over a year ago

Will you forward these men my number?

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

It also opens the door for extremely easy cheating and people looking for the greener grass. Bad "

But those people are just idiots aren't they. And surely even before on line dating these people were always on the look out for someone new?

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

It also opens the door for extremely easy cheating and people looking for the greener grass. Bad

But those people are just idiots aren't they. And surely even before on line dating these people were always on the look out for someone new? "

They are yes

But you couldn’t look for someone new while sat on the toilet completely risk free.

You couldn’t match with someone while on the bus to work and start arranging your new relationship

It’s all made it much more accessible, easier and most of all, completely discreet and undetectable

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

But those people are just idiots aren't they. And surely even before on line dating these people were always on the look out for someone new?

They are yes

But you couldn’t look for someone new while sat on the toilet completely risk free.

You couldn’t match with someone while on the bus to work and start arranging your new relationship

It’s all made it much more accessible, easier and most of all, completely discreet and undetectable "

That makes sense yes.

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Having been “mostly” single for over 10 years I thought I would be able to answer this question succinctly, but I can’t really. It’s complicated is the truth of it.

Essentially the traditional roles that I could have had within a committed relationship are now behind me or do not interest me, or are no longer viewed as “traditional”. Women are as likely as me to have a good job, own home, self sufficiency. In essence the “rationale” for commitment has diminished and we are left with only (and I don’t mean only in a negative way) esoteric or emotional reasons for committing to someone, the practical reasons are no longer so relevant.

Now I get that the above may read as misogynistic I don’t mean it to be, but roles are important in any grouping in society, they help to demonstrate our value to that grouping. As the years have passed roles have become blurred and so the “need” for creating a family unit have reduced. (Outside of having children, which I have no desire for)

So I can enjoy peoples company without them feeling the need to commit to me or me to them, we have a state of independence. Do I want to grow old alone? I am not alone, if I want company, I can find it.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"…what are the reasons why this has happened. Also stole that description off another member, sorry not sorry, it was just a good way to sum up.

Why is it that the majority of men, I’m not even using some men cos I truly believe it’s the majority, what are the reasons why they’re so reluctant to want a commitment? "

Because of the thrill of new experiences, and the fun of variety. And because commitment is the hard bit, the real life bit, that some people can’t be arsed with.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

If I put on my evolutionary biology hat, it makes sense too

For millions of years we evolved with different responsibilities

Women held the responsibility of reproduction

Men held the responsibility of keeping the tribe alive, fed and safe

So it would make sense that within our dna those responsibilities are somewhat imprinted

Women hold the key to sex and therefore, reproduction

Men hold the key to commitment which could translate to being brought into the safety of the tribe

Reply privately

over a year ago

Agreed, from what ive seen among society now, a lot of women from younger generations barely need to make any kind of effort, expecting that because theyre pretty or have certain interests, it makes them desirable to men. No need to learn true loyalty, the meaning of companionship, communication skills etc.

Honestly the sheer number of girls i spoke to on dating apps, i had better conversations with one of those AI friend apps, the quality was abysmal and left me wondering how they even have any friends to begin with (not including the superficial friendships)

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"If I put on my evolutionary biology hat, it makes sense too

So it would make sense that within our dna those responsibilities are somewhat imprinted

Men hold the key to commitment which could translate to being brought into the safety of the tribe

"

But if we think of a tribe, it's often the women who keep the tribe or extended family together, whilst the men went out into the world. If a woman's partner died in the distant past those widowed weren't turfed out the tribe. The tribe would look after them.

And did women have control over sex in the past. Wasn't virginity important and the negotiations of tribes over marriage. I think sex and relationships were controlled by the elders of the tribe in the past not individuals.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think we're regressing a couple if hundred years if we're talking about quality and value when we discuss women and men.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I kind of disagree with this.

It wasn’t until a more recent society (in the grand scheme of time) that women were given even the power over their own body’s.

Also Married off young and to people not of their own choosing as a way to keep peace between other tribes.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

But if we think of a tribe, it's often the women who keep the tribe or extended family together, whilst the men went out into the world. If a woman's partner died in the distant past those widowed weren't turfed out the tribe. The tribe would look after them.

And did women have control over sex in the past. Wasn't virginity important and the negotiations of tribes over marriage. I think sex and relationships were controlled by the elders of the tribe in the past not individuals. "

I guess I mean that we go back millions of years a woman without a man to protect her was very at risk to basically everything. The wild wasn’t a pretty place for a lone woman

Men represented a level of protection they couldn’t get themselves. And in trade that had reproduction.

It’s all conjecture though there’s no right or wrong

Reply privately

By *agicM53XMan
over a year ago

Orpington

If you go on any dating app as a man, the amount of women expressing their frustration in their bio, that they cannot find a man to date, after listing a dozen of unrealistic expectations of what a man needs to be to go on a date with them, is mind-blowing...At a point, as a man, I just ask myself "OK, but what do you as a girlfriend bring to the table?"...because let me tell you, I'm not afraid to eat at that table by myself. And a lot of men have that attitude nowadays

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

And did women have control over sex in the past. Wasn't virginity important and the negotiations of tribes over marriage. I think sex and relationships were controlled by the elders of the tribe in the past not individuals.

I guess I mean that we go back millions of years a woman without a man to protect her was very at risk to basically everything. The wild wasn’t a pretty place for a lone woman

Men represented a level of protection they couldn’t get themselves. And in trade that had reproduction.

It’s all conjecture though there’s no right or wrong "

People without a tribe were at more risk.

Men were at risk of starvation if women weren't there. The theory is that the men hunted and the women gathered, the foraged food made up most of the tribes diet. While the men were away hunting they couldn't protect the women.

I suspect that the nature of the relationships between prehistoric men and women was far less transactional and much more communal

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Agreed, from what ive seen among society now, a lot of women from younger generations barely need to make any kind of effort, expecting that because theyre pretty or have certain interests, it makes them desirable to men. No need to learn true loyalty, the meaning of companionship, communication skills etc.

Honestly the sheer number of girls i spoke to on dating apps, i had better conversations with one of those AI friend apps, the quality was abysmal and left me wondering how they even have any friends to begin with (not including the superficial friendships)"

What you are describing there, re attractive young women was always there but social media / apps etc have massively expanded this.

If a really attractive girl goes to a nightclub, chances are that loads of blokes will try chatting her up over the course of an evening. But that fades to nothing compared with the attention she will get online. If a really attractive young lady set up a profile on fab, saying she was single, how many approaches do you think she would get in the first 24 hours? Probably hundreds.

And that’s what fuels the lack of effort that you refer to. No effort needed, so no effort expended.

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

So the simple answer is what’s in it for me and what’s in it for them?

Perhaps the wonderful thing about the modern world is that people only now “have to” get together for love not necessities. And love is rarer than modern media would let us believe.

On the flip side of this is our perception of what love actually is, perhaps we have subconsciously bought into a dream of love that is rare and so will only accept that definition, when in truth there are many facets of love that would enable us (if we parked the unrealistic representation) to consider life partners on the basis that they just make us smile?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you go on any dating app as a man, the amount of women expressing their frustration in their bio, that they cannot find a man to date, after listing a dozen of unrealistic expectations of what a man needs to be to go on a date with them, is mind-blowing...At a point, as a man, I just ask myself "OK, but what do you as a girlfriend bring to the table?"...because let me tell you, I'm not afraid to eat at that table by myself. And a lot of men have that attitude nowadays "

^^ This also!

Something I see and hear a lot.

Women are more and more expecting of higher standards than they are willing to hold themselves to.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Men were at risk of starvation if women weren't there. The theory is that the men hunted and the women gathered, the foraged food made up most of the tribes diet. While the men were away hunting they couldn't protect the women.

I suspect that the nature of the relationships between prehistoric men and women was far less transactional and much more communal "

That's what I was getting at but failed miserably to explain

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I suspect that the nature of the relationships between prehistoric men and women was far less transactional and much more communal "

I like that idea! Definitely seems plausible

I guess the closest we can come is Ape studies, but even they are so different between eachother

You think you learn something from chimps them bonobos do the exact opposite

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

My other guess would be the Coolidge effect

Men lose interest in someone they’ve had sex with already way quicker then women. Is the idea of committing to one woman effected by that?

Reply privately

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"…what are the reasons why this has happened. Also stole that description off another member, sorry not sorry, it was just a good way to sum up.

Why is it that the majority of men, I’m not even using some men cos I truly believe it’s the majority, what are the reasons why they’re so reluctant to want a commitment? "

Women put out the offer of sex to get love. Men put out the offer of love (commitment) to get sex.

Reply privately

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

I feel the main reason why both men and women are reluctant to commit is due to unresolved childhood trauma. It most definitely was in my own case. I had given up on relationships because I always seemed to pick a wrong un. After healing my trauma the idea of a meaningful relationship seems possible at least

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"My other guess would be the Coolidge effect

Men lose interest in someone they’ve had sex with already way quicker then women. Is the idea of committing to one woman effected by that? "

The paper I read on this suggests it happens in males and females. But that it's been more studied in men. In evolution terms it would make sense that both genders would be the same go increase the gene pool.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Men lose interest in someone they’ve had sex with already way quicker then women. Is the idea of committing to one woman effected by that?

The paper I read on this suggests it happens in males and females. But that it's been more studied in men. In evolution terms it would make sense that both genders would be the same go increase the gene pool. "

In biological terms it would effect men more because we can get an unlimited number of women pregnant. If the options are there then there’s nothing stopping a guy getting 1000s of women pregnant

Where as a woman has a 9 month down period each time

Reply privately

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"I

And did women have control over sex in the past. Wasn't virginity important and the negotiations of tribes over marriage. I think sex and relationships were controlled by the elders of the tribe in the past not individuals. "

I have read that virginity and faithfulness weren’t important to Hunter Gatherers, because why should they be? It was only when agriculture was developed, and people started caring about ownership and hereditary rights that suddenly making sure your possessions were inherited by your actual descendants became important. Tribal people were the proto-swingers

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you go on any dating app as a man, the amount of women expressing their frustration in their bio, that they cannot find a man to date, after listing a dozen of unrealistic expectations of what a man needs to be to go on a date with them, is mind-blowing...At a point, as a man, I just ask myself "OK, but what do you as a girlfriend bring to the table?"...because let me tell you, I'm not afraid to eat at that table by myself. And a lot of men have that attitude nowadays

^^ This also!

Something I see and hear a lot.

Women are more and more expecting of higher standards than they are willing to hold themselves to. "

Definitely exactly this! God i lost count how many times i saw this "where are the good guys at?", theyre nowhere where youre looking love!

The good guys are at home, spending time with family and friends, playing video games or watching TV or doing a hobby they love, cos theyve lost the willpower to date women with a million demands yet wont hold themselves to any standard they expect from men

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Because we're made to sow our seed far and wide "

This. Simple evolution. Whereas women have to deal with pregnancy and raising children. So makes sense that, traditionally, we look for some kind of commitment.

Regardless of modern attitudes, contraception, people not wanting kids, I still think our brains are hard wired to work this way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Honestly the sheer number of girls i spoke to on dating apps, i had better conversations with one of those AI friend apps, the quality was abysmal and left me wondering how they even have any friends to begin with (not including the superficial friendships)

What you are describing there, re attractive young women was always there but social media / apps etc have massively expanded this.

If a really attractive girl goes to a nightclub, chances are that loads of blokes will try chatting her up over the course of an evening. But that fades to nothing compared with the attention she will get online. If a really attractive young lady set up a profile on fab, saying she was single, how many approaches do you think she would get in the first 24 hours? Probably hundreds.

And that’s what fuels the lack of effort that you refer to. No effort needed, so no effort expended. "

Of course yeah it was always there but as another poster mentioned, there no longer such a rush to find someone and settle down with, the no expectation to be building a family early on, so its also exacerbated the fact that social media has expanded the lack of effort needed. So many women of the younger generation will hold out for as long as possible or hop from man to man until they find someone that ticks enough of their boxes before they get too old.. or they just end up remaining single and find some excuse to blame when they cant find a long term relationship

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

The paper I read on this suggests it happens in males and females. But that it's been more studied in men. In evolution terms it would make sense that both genders would be the same go increase the gene pool.

In biological terms it would effect men more because we can get an unlimited number of women pregnant. If the options are there then there’s nothing stopping a guy getting 1000s of women pregnant

Where as a woman has a 9 month down period each time"

I don't think humans were necessarily built for fuck and go. The babies we produce are the crappiest of the crappiest. If men are hard wired to want to have their offspring to grow they need to support the mother. Else neither would have survived. There's a reason why babies often look like their fathers when they are born.

Reply privately

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"

Women put out the offer of sex to get love. Men put out the offer of love (commitment) to get sex."

I read that in a love/sex/relationship manual I bought when I was 17. It always seemed to be the other way round for me though, but perhaps I’m just soppy.

Reply privately

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"

Women put out the offer of sex to get love. Men put out the offer of love (commitment) to get sex.

I read that in a love/sex/relationship manual I bought when I was 17. It always seemed to be the other way round for me though, but perhaps I’m just soppy."

Lots of men are soppy (and I mean that in the best and nicest way). They just think they have to hide that side of themselves.

But I like it.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"

I read that in a love/sex/relationship manual I bought when I was 17. It always seemed to be the other way round for me though, but perhaps I’m just soppy.

Lots of men are soppy (and I mean that in the best and nicest way). They just think they have to hide that side of themselves.

But I like it."

Same I like that quality in a man

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I don't think humans were necessarily built for fuck and go. The babies we produce are the crappiest of the crappiest. If men are hard wired to want to have their offspring to grow they need to support the mother. Else neither would have survived. There's a reason why babies often look like their fathers when they are born. "

True, but in a tribe environment it makes sense for a guy to try and get every woman in that tribe pregnant if he can

A woman can only get pregnant from 1 guy at a time

So the effect benefits a guy more then it does a woman (benefits the wrong word maybe?)

So that characteristic is gonna be stronger/more prevalent in men. Not to say that women don’t have it too, it’s just not nearly as potent or strong.

Again though, all conjecture, no right or wrong. Because we can only make educated guesses about what life was life for humans millions of years ago

One things for certain though, they did have tinder, it was just the fire type of tinder, not the “I’m bored so I’ll swipe on people while my partner isn’t around” tinder

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I don't think humans were necessarily built for fuck and go. The babies we produce are the crappiest of the crappiest. If men are hard wired to want to have their offspring to grow they need to support the mother. Else neither would have survived. There's a reason why babies often look like their fathers when they are born.

True, but in a tribe environment it makes sense for a guy to try and get every woman in that tribe pregnant if he can

So the effect benefits a guy more then it does a woman (benefits the wrong word maybe?)

So that characteristic is gonna be stronger/more prevalent in men. Not to say that women don’t have it too, it’s just not nearly as potent or strong.

Again though, all conjecture, no right or wrong. Because we can only make educated guesses about what life was life for humans millions of years ago

One things for certain though, they did have tinder, it was just the fire type of tinder, not the “I’m bored so I’ll swipe on people while my partner isn’t around” tinder "

Hmm that is an interesting idea. Are people these days unable to deal with boredom? And is this one of the reasons behind trying to find excitement via sex?

Reply privately

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"

There are still tribal peoples to study though. I was told that the Australian aborigines didn’t even make the connection between sex and birth. They realised that women were more likely to conceive when everyone was resting and having fun at a billobong instead of tramping through the outback, and concluded that spirits who live in waterholes make women pregnant.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

One things for certain though, they did have tinder, it was just the fire type of tinder, not the “I’m bored so I’ll swipe on people while my partner isn’t around” tinder

Hmm that is an interesting idea. Are people these days unable to deal with boredom? And is this one of the reasons behind trying to find excitement via sex? "

I think it’s so easy to do it’s not that they can’t handle bored. It’s just so easy. You download an app and boom. You have access to so much. You don’t need to act on it. You don’t need to swipe or respond. But it’s there.

And that easiness. That temptation. For many I think it’s easy to rationalise “I’m just bored, swiping, it doesn’t mean anything.”

They swipe on the toilet, on the bus, late at night.

It doesn’t feel like your looking for a new partner. But ask yourself. What’s the different between having a dating profile now, to getting dressed up and going to the pub 30 years ago?

The pubs nice! It’s something to do. And maybe a guy chats you up, you didn’t do anything wrong, you don’t have to act on it. It’s fine

But maybe one day the right guy catches you on the right day.

That’s what tinder is. Except you don’t need to dress up. You don’t need to tell your partner your going out. You don’t need to catch the bus. It’s all right in your phone

As a former addict I’ll say this now. A little boredom paired with easy access is how problems start. I couldn’t quit my addiction while I had dealers numbers in my phone. A little boredom leads to a little txt and suddenly I’ve relapsed. I don’t think this is any different. It’s addiction to attention. Addiction to excitement. Addiction to that greener grass you believe is there

I can’t remember the quote but it’s something like

The devil makes use of idle hands

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

There’s some really good points in this thread which is genuinely making me think about my own life choice.

I would agree with the expectation levels I have witnessed on dating sites, now I am not saying that people shouldn’t set their own expectations or that they should be “realistic” but after looking at most of them I realise I am not what they are looking for or they seem to be quite mercenary, or sometimes eye-wideningly (not a word) amazing, and so I quickly uninstall the app.

I also tend to find the people that say things like “where are all the good guys at” to not be the kind of person that “good guys” go for.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Quote ...

^ True , but she can fuck as many as she is capable of before realising she is pregnant ....

It's a myth to think that historically , women fuck and wait just in case.

They fuck and they fuck and they fuck .....

Being chaste is a modern ideal.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"There’s some really good points in this thread which is genuinely making me think about my own life choice.

I would agree with the expectation levels I have witnessed on dating sites, now I am not saying that people shouldn’t set their own expectations or that they should be “realistic” but after looking at most of them I realise I am not what they are looking for or they seem to be quite mercenary, or sometimes eye-wideningly (not a word) amazing, and so I quickly uninstall the app.

I also tend to find the people that say things like “where are all the good guys at” to not be the kind of person that “good guys” go for.

"

Perfectly put. It's as if a 'good guy' adores you instantly, wants you to have his children , will work and pass over the cash and will remain loyal until death...... even if you met him on a strictly nsa basis.

Reply privately

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"

But I like it."

I think that Charlotte wasn’t brought up to be all touchy-feely like I was, and just doesn’t have much need for cuddles. So it’s only during sex that we have the long periods of touch that I like.

I think of her as one of those cats that might sit on your knee, but it’s tense and will jump off if you move. Whereas I’m like our old family cat who would immediately fall asleep purring if you picked him up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Agree with the “where are all the good guys at” general type.

They generally mean, the good earners, have decent cars, good looking, will take care of them with little expectation in return or something similar.

Rather than an actual decent guy with similar morals, who is emotionally intelligent, ready to commit or anything that actually makes them as a person a decent person.

That’s not to say men can’t have everything listed, but the priority is the former with little thought to the latter.

And what’s offered in return, oh I’m young and/or pretty, You should appreciate that.

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"There’s some really good points in this thread which is genuinely making me think about my own life choice.

Perfectly put. It's as if a 'good guy' adores you instantly, wants you to have his children , will work and pass over the cash and will remain loyal until death...... even if you met him on a strictly nsa basis. "

There are some like this yes, but in the dating app world single men are actually in quite a good position as it is as near to equal as you could get (due to the requirement of matching before chatting).

But I just get demoralised by the demands or requirements. Not to say I am a good guy, you see I now have an expectation of my “dream partner” and as unlikely as I am to find her (fab offers the best opportunity for that) I am only going to commit to someone that matches that expectation. “Too much choice will make tyrants of us all”

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Isn’t this pretty much identical to the other thread that you started?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Agree with the “where are all the good guys at” general type.

They generally mean, the good earners, have decent cars, good looking, will take care of them with little expectation in return or something similar.

Rather than an actual decent guy with similar morals, who is emotionally intelligent, ready to commit or anything that actually makes them as a person a decent person.

That’s not to say men can’t have everything listed, but the priority is the former with little thought to the latter.

And what’s offered in return, oh I’m young and/or pretty, You should appreciate that. "

Is that why guys put "good job, own house" etc? Because some women are looking for that? I had someone message me about the "finer things in life" and mention Michelin stars. I didn't get the transactional nature of it for some until now. Hmm.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And that’s what fuels the lack of effort that you refer to. No effort needed, so no effort expended.

Of course yeah it was always there but as another poster mentioned, there no longer such a rush to find someone and settle down with, the no expectation to be building a family early on, so its also exacerbated the fact that social media has expanded the lack of effort needed. So many women of the younger generation will hold out for as long as possible or hop from man to man until they find someone that ticks enough of their boxes before they get too old.. or they just end up remaining single and find some excuse to blame when they cant find a long term relationship "

I think it’s more men hold out for as long as possible when it comes to wanting and having children.

Women have this thing called a biological clock that even if you don’t want children the sound of that clock ticking gets louder passed 30. That’s probably an evolutionary thing that can’t be helped but I don’t think it’s women that drag their feet when it comes to having children of children are what they want.

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

I am The Gatekeeper™

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Perfectly put. It's as if a 'good guy' adores you instantly, wants you to have his children , will work and pass over the cash and will remain loyal until death...... even if you met him on a strictly nsa basis.

There are some like this yes, but in the dating app world single men are actually in quite a good position as it is as near to equal as you could get (due to the requirement of matching before chatting).

But I just get demoralised by the demands or requirements. Not to say I am a good guy, you see I now have an expectation of my “dream partner” and as unlikely as I am to find her (fab offers the best opportunity for that) I am only going to commit to someone that matches that expectation. “Too much choice will make tyrants of us all” "

Is that the problem though this search for the dream partner? Nobody is perfect so how can a perfect relationship exist? Isn't everything a work in progress?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Agree with the “where are all the good guys at” general type.

And what’s offered in return, oh I’m young and/or pretty, You should appreciate that. "

Woman card revoked!

When I see women asking where the good guys are I think she’s looking for guys that aren’t going to fuck her around, mess with her feelings or be dick heads in general. I think most women have their own stuff, house, car, job, money so wouldn’t assume that’s what they were out for. Asking for sugar daddies or wanting to be a princess or anything like that would suggest they were looking to be taken care of financially and those are the ones that normally only offer their attractiveness as a reward for that kind of looking after.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Of course yeah it was always there but as another poster mentioned, there no longer such a rush to find someone and settle down with, the no expectation to be building a family early on, so its also exacerbated the fact that social media has expanded the lack of effort needed. So many women of the younger generation will hold out for as long as possible or hop from man to man until they find someone that ticks enough of their boxes before they get too old.. or they just end up remaining single and find some excuse to blame when they cant find a long term relationship

I think it’s more men hold out for as long as possible when it comes to wanting and having children.

Women have this thing called a biological clock that even if you don’t want children the sound of that clock ticking gets louder passed 30. That’s probably an evolutionary thing that can’t be helped but I don’t think it’s women that drag their feet when it comes to having children of children are what they want. "

Makes sense

Most things women want in men are things they get lots of as they age

Life experience, confidence, hobbies/interests, success

Most things guys want in women come with youth

Woman want to sell while they are young and men want to hold out until their worth is at its most

Obviously not true in all cases but I guess it makes some sense

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

But I just get demoralised by the demands or requirements. Not to say I am a good guy, you see I now have an expectation of my “dream partner” and as unlikely as I am to find her (fab offers the best opportunity for that) I am only going to commit to someone that matches that expectation. “Too much choice will make tyrants of us all”

Is that the problem though this search for the dream partner? Nobody is perfect so how can a perfect relationship exist? Isn't everything a work in progress? "

You are right of course, so I have become a “victim” of my own expectations and thus similar to all of those others with unrealistic expectations be doomed to a life seeking and not finding. Because as you say, I expect to have this “perfection” fully formed and not something to strive for within a partnership.

You see neither gender is the villain in this story, but perhaps modernity and the “get rich quick” society is. This is why I am single I guess (apart from my obvious physical and character based flaws), what I want probably doesn’t exist, but I can’t be areas to create it.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Is that the problem though this search for the dream partner? Nobody is perfect so how can a perfect relationship exist? Isn't everything a work in progress?

You are right of course, so I have become a “victim” of my own expectations and thus similar to all of those others with unrealistic expectations be doomed to a life seeking and not finding. Because as you say, I expect to have this “perfection” fully formed and not something to strive for within a partnership.

You see neither gender is the villain in this story, but perhaps modernity and the “get rich quick” society is. This is why I am single I guess (apart from my obvious physical and character based flaws), what I want probably doesn’t exist, but I can’t be areas to create it. "

I just don't believe in perfect, perfectly imperfect maybe. Be that people, relationships, jobs, houses. I think if you strive for perfection you miss out on what is actually in front of you.

And behave on the physical flaws I don't know your character but you seem ok to me

Reply privately

over a year ago

You see neither gender is the villain in this story, but perhaps modernity and the “get rich quick” society is. This is why I am single I guess (apart from my obvious physical and character based flaws), what I want probably doesn’t exist, but I can’t be areas to create it. "

How could you create it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because one woman is never enough ??

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

You see neither gender is the villain in this story, but perhaps modernity and the “get rich quick” society is. This is why I am single I guess (apart from my obvious physical and character based flaws), what I want probably doesn’t exist, but I can’t be areas to create it.

How could you create it? "

Because the “perfection” I seek is not based around the physical but on the mental attributes of the relationship, therefore, by finding out about somebody that may not have explicitly stated they are of a similar mind to my “ideal” it could be created through enabling them to be open without judgement or fear to mutual benefit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Woman card revoked! "

please!

For the rest of your comment

I take it you haven’t seen the thousands of TikTok’s, fb self help videos and dating profiles with this attitude being very much encouraged and promoted. The topical line is “where are all the good guys at”.

You seemed to have taken that very personally.

Reply privately

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

The ones that shout the loudest and strut the most are the ones with the least commitment.

The quiet guys at the back who are respecting your wishes and trying not to be a pest are the ones that like commitment. The counter problem is that women are withholding sex from these guys.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The ones that shout the loudest and strut the most are the ones with the least commitment.

The quiet guys at the back who are respecting your wishes and trying not to be a pest are the ones that like commitment. The counter problem is that women are withholding sex from these guys."

Witholding?

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"The ones that shout the loudest and strut the most are the ones with the least commitment.

The quiet guys at the back who are respecting your wishes and trying not to be a pest are the ones that like commitment. The counter problem is that women are withholding sex from these guys.

Witholding? "

Withholding is the wrong word

But defiantly, the fuck boys get all the attention.

That’s not anyones fault either

Reply privately

over a year ago

The quiet guys at the back who are respecting your wishes and trying not to be a pest are the ones that like commitment. The counter problem is that women are withholding sex from these guys."

Um..what? You need to explain this as my first reaction is that's an incel belief.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Women have this thing called a biological clock that even if you don’t want children the sound of that clock ticking gets louder passed 30. That’s probably an evolutionary thing that can’t be helped but I don’t think it’s women that drag their feet when it comes to having children of children are what they want. "

Well i didnt mean wanting children as such, more that i was referring to relationships in general. Many women already have kids of their own with another man theyve seperated from.

Many of them hold out for someone who can tick as many boxes as possible in a short space of time rather than allowing something meaningful to develop and seeing how it progresses.

Cos dating apps have now given them the option of choice and variety in vast numbers they can have a list of arbitrary requirements they want from a man. Im not saying its wrong to have a vertain type or need for qualities a partner must possess i.e. compassionate, hard working, family orientated etc. But many have now felt that its acceptable to have more requirements than is realistically feasible. Therefore, regarding relationships in general, excluding the matter of children, many women will hold out longer than men in order to meet their "one"

Reply privately

over a year ago

How could you create it?

Because the “perfection” I seek is not based around the physical but on the mental attributes of the relationship, therefore, by finding out about somebody that may not have explicitly stated they are of a similar mind to my “ideal” it could be created through enabling them to be open without judgement or fear to mutual benefit. "

I'm sure you're aware of how difficult you're making it for yourself, as you've said. I simply don't believe many people would explicitly state much about their mental attributes. Not just because many don't have that level of insight, but because ...well, people don't bother to read.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why do the majority of men not want committed relationships or say it at the start of seeing eachother?

Simple. The woman probably hasn't shown enough qualities and or behaviours to warrant wanting to commit to them. There's probably lots of people coming up with mental gymnastics about how/why this isn't true but it is. And most dudes can't even be truthful to themselves and straight up say it. Instead you get lots of dudes staying with the sharade for fear they won't have sex again for a long time.

So you can try and manipulate a commitment or be manipulated over your desire for commitment. But just don't, there is no shortage of either of these two people in the dating game.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Women don't withhold sex, they either want sex with someone or they don't. I don't like brashy loud men, that isn't my preference. I actually prefer quiet men. But quiet doesn't mean passive, quiet men can be just as vocal about their desire to be with you as louder men.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Let’s be honest, the human race is shallow by nature and almost every physical connection and interaction is formed upon physical appearance.

The difference is, at the very basics,

Ugly women will still get laid

Ugly men will struggle (wealth being to caveat)

And ALL men are judged by the actions of the majority.

You can be a nice guy, romantic, pleasant, friendly, caring, dedicated and loving but unless you’ve a bank account to match you’re getting fuck all.

Think playboy bunnies sucked Hugh Hefner off for his charming personality?

Women are the gatekeepers of sex, which I think we should all refer to as “pussy power” going forwards.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Um..what? You need to explain this as my first reaction is that's an incel belief. "

Tbh that is kind of the feel of this threat.

Women are gatekeeper to sex, therefore can withhold. Men are gatekeepers of relationships therefore can withhold.

“why are you withholding commitment from me” “why are you withholding sex from me”.

It gives a sense of entitlement for one or the other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Let’s be honest, the human race is shallow by nature and almost every physical connection and interaction is formed upon physical appearance.

You can be a nice guy, romantic, pleasant, friendly, caring, dedicated and loving but unless you’ve a bank account to match you’re getting fuck all.

Women are the gatekeepers of sex, which I think we should all refer to as “pussy power” going forwards."

So all women need a man with money?

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Witholding?

That’s not anyones fault either "

Withholding is so much the wrong word that I don't even know where to start

I can't comment on whether fuck boys get all the attention because I'm so distanced from the way things play out now.

This whole read makes me quite sad.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Let’s be honest, the human race is shallow by nature and almost every physical connection and interaction is formed upon physical appearance.

Women are the gatekeepers of sex, which I think we should all refer to as “pussy power” going forwards."

If the human race was that shallow, surely all the ugly genes would have died out by now?

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Women are the gatekeepers of sex, which I think we should all refer to as “pussy power” going forwards.

So all women need a man with money? "

Taking something that’s in general and applying it to everything is a sad tactic

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

If the human race was that shallow, surely all the ugly genes would have died out by now?

"

No it's all the ugly women getting sex from men who can't get it elsewhere having babies

Reply privately

over a year ago

Taking something that’s in general and applying it to everything is a sad tactic "

Not sure what you mean? I was querying if that's what he meant as he mentioned money twice.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

No it's all the ugly women getting sex from men who can't get it elsewhere having babies "

See it's the women's fault after all

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

No it's all the ugly women getting sex from men who can't get it elsewhere having babies

See it's the women's fault after all "

Always is

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'm not sure if you have seen pictures of what people looked like 100 years ago but there might be something said for the reduction of these ugly genes as you described.

I don't think people are that shallow but I also doubt average beauty standard was anywhere near as high as it is today. So I'm sure this whole ugly genes will die out thing has some minor truth to it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Um..what? You need to explain this as my first reaction is that's an incel belief. "

Incel is such a disgusting and derogatory term. Please dont use that.

Many men struggle for all sorts of reasons. Calling them incels just invalidates them and their problems.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm not sure if you have seen pictures of what people looked like 100 years ago but there might be something said for the reduction of these ugly genes as you described.

I don't think people are that shallow but I also doubt average beauty standard was anywhere near as high as it is today. So I'm sure this whole ugly genes will die out thing has some minor truth to it. "

People look better nowadays because there's better nutrition, health education, fewer extremely hard manual jobs, contraception, better housing etc etc etc. I look better at 65 than my mother and way better than my grandmother.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Taking something that’s in general and applying it to everything is a sad tactic

Not sure what you mean? I was querying if that's what he meant as he mentioned money twice. "

I never said women need a man with money, I was speaking from a general viewpoint, I apologise to anybody who is offended on behalf of a playboy bunny

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Good looking people can have ugly children can’t they?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Um..what? You need to explain this as my first reaction is that's an incel belief.

Many men struggle for all sorts of reasons. Calling them incels just invalidates them and their problems."

Don't tell me what I can say. He wasn't talking about a problem. Nobody put you in charge.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not sure what you mean? I was querying if that's what he meant as he mentioned money twice.

I never said women need a man with money, I was speaking from a general viewpoint, I apologise to anybody who is offended on behalf of a playboy bunny "

"You can be a nice guy, romantic, pleasant, friendly, caring, dedicated and loving but unless you’ve a bank account to match you’re getting fuck all." that was what I responded to. That implies you think women are always going to prioritise a man with money (even an ugly one).

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't think people are that shallow but I also doubt average beauty standard was anywhere near as high as it is today. So I'm sure this whole ugly genes will die out thing has some minor truth to it.

People look better nowadays because there's better nutrition, health education, fewer extremely hard manual jobs, contraception, better housing etc etc etc. I look better at 65 than my mother and way better than my grandmother. "

There is also more obesity. I really don't think its that simple. Not everyone finds a mate and procreates. I would say even harder for ugly people. Thats why I say there may be some truth to it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good looking people can have ugly children can’t they? "

My old neighbours and their kid, fella is quite handsome, the gf is quite hot, their kid? Pig ugly

She does look a lot like her dad, quite like my little cousin, but unlike my cousin whos very attractive as shes now in her mid teens, the same cant be said about my old neighbours kid

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

The science puts it at about 80% of women passing on their genes and about 20% of men through history

In short, a lot of men just lived and died without kids.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Good looking people can have ugly children can’t they? "

I was being ironic. I do not believe humans are that shallow.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can say the same thing about women.

I want to get coupled up but they're all playing

Reply privately

over a year ago

I never said women need a man with money, I was speaking from a general viewpoint, I apologise to anybody who is offended on behalf of a playboy bunny

"You can be a nice guy, romantic, pleasant, friendly, caring, dedicated and loving but unless you’ve a bank account to match you’re getting fuck all." that was what I responded to. That implies you think women are always going to prioritise a man with money (even an ugly one). "

But the word “need” isn’t there, and yes, my opinion is that an ugly man with a good income will do better with women than an ugly man with a poor income.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good looking people can have ugly children can’t they?

I was being ironic. I do not believe humans are that shallow. "

And that’s fair, but I believe in the majority, they are

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You can be a nice guy, romantic, pleasant, friendly, caring, dedicated and loving but unless you’ve a bank account to match you’re getting fuck all." that was what I responded to. That implies you think women are always going to prioritise a man with money (even an ugly one).

But the word “need” isn’t there, and yes, my opinion is that an ugly man with a good income will do better with women than an ugly man with a poor income."

I despair that in 2021 this might be the case. I certainly don't know any women who rate bank account as a criteria for a man and I will not bring my daughter up thinking that. Yet I gather this is the case for some from the mentions of status symbols on dating sites and from what male friends have said.

Reply privately

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Witholding?

That’s not anyones fault either "

You're right, withholding is the wrong word. It was in the context of being a gatekeeper.

The rest of the message still stands though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Many men struggle for all sorts of reasons. Calling them incels just invalidates them and their problems.

Don't tell me what I can say. He wasn't talking about a problem. Nobody put you in charge. "

To put it simply, as the saying goes, "nice guys finish last", which is the problem i believe he is referring to.

Regardless, theres no need to be like that as i asked politely.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't tell me what I can say. He wasn't talking about a problem. Nobody put you in charge.

To put it simply, as the saying goes, "nice guys finish last", which is the problem i believe he is referring to.

Regardless, theres no need to be like that as i asked politely."

I made my comment very politely to Bobbo (who is happily married I believe). I dislike being censured. It's not a forbidden word on the site.

Reply privately

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Just because someone is a bit nervous or shy doesn't mean that they are an incel. Some guys don't necessarily have the confidence to go straight in there with their willy waving and take a longer approach building a relationship. This building of relationships often sends the wrong message and comes across as friend rather than companion because it's different to the others.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just because someone is a bit nervous or shy doesn't mean that they are an incel. Some guys don't necessarily have the confidence to go straight in there with their willy waving and take a longer approach building a relationship. This building of relationships often sends the wrong message and comes across as friend rather than companion because it's different to the others.

"

I was referring to the "withholding sex" comment which you've clarified. Of course shy men aren't incels, I was not suggesting that.

Reply privately

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I made my comment very politely to Bobbo (who is happily married I believe). I dislike being censured. It's not a forbidden word on the site. "

Don't worry, I didn't take it badly. I'm here for a conversation so don't mind opposing views. I don't think any different of people for thinking differently.

I don't think there was any intent behind the comment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I made my comment very politely to Bobbo (who is happily married I believe). I dislike being censured. It's not a forbidden word on the site. "

Any reference to a man or matter of opinion regarding women, being labelled as incel/incelish, is offensive. It may not have been censored by the site, but that doesnt mean its not offensive, ppl just need to catch up with the use of the term.

Its a derogatory term, no different to any sexual, racial, religious slur. You wouldnt like to be called a slut/whore/slag etc. simply cos you like to have sex (maybe a lot of it). Im just trying to make you aware that you shouldnt throw the term "incel" around so lightly, referring to men, for whatever their issues may be, who struggle to have sex and therefore have some opinion against women regarding that. A lot of men find that term extremely hurtful.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Tbh that is kind of the feel of this threat.

Women are gatekeeper to sex, therefore can withhold. Men are gatekeepers of relationships therefore can withhold.

“why are you withholding commitment from me” “why are you withholding sex from me”.

It gives a sense of entitlement for one or the other. "

It's worrying content

- magazine psychobabble.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But the word “need” isn’t there, and yes, my opinion is that an ugly man with a good income will do better with women than an ugly man with a poor income.

I despair that in 2021 this might be the case. I certainly don't know any women who rate bank account as a criteria for a man and I will not bring my daughter up thinking that. Yet I gather this is the case for some from the mentions of status symbols on dating sites and from what male friends have said. "

There is very much a status over substance attitude sent out more so than ever on multiple social media platforms to young women. The increasing number of “influencers” promoting such, with high followings, show as much. And they have following as young a 13.

When you look at not so long ago there where TikTok showing how to get sugar daddy’s (also naming sites like fet) with followers (as said) as young as 13.

The messages a lot send out are certainly not what I would want mine to take heed of.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I made my comment very politely to Bobbo (who is happily married I believe). I dislike being censured. It's not a forbidden word on the site.

Any reference to a man or matter of opinion regarding women, being labelled as incel/incelish, is offensive. It may not have been censored by the site, but that doesnt mean its not offensive, ppl just need to catch up with the use of the term.

Its a derogatory term, no different to any sexual, racial, religious slur. You wouldnt like to be called a slut/whore/slag etc. simply cos you like to have sex (maybe a lot of it). Im just trying to make you aware that you shouldnt throw the term "incel" around so lightly, referring to men, for whatever their issues may be, who struggle to have sex and therefore have some opinion against women regarding that. A lot of men find that term extremely hurtful."

It's not a derogatory term when wholly applicable. In this case it is used in context. The word wasn't used against a person.

It is not illegal to take offense nor to say something that someone may misinterpret and take offense to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its a derogatory term, no different to any sexual, racial, religious slur. You wouldnt like to be called a slut/whore/slag etc. simply cos you like to have sex (maybe a lot of it). Im just trying to make you aware that you shouldnt throw the term "incel" around so lightly, referring to men, for whatever their issues may be, who struggle to have sex and therefore have some opinion against women regarding that. A lot of men find that term extremely hurtful."

You're policing my language. I politely decline as I see no-one else objecting including the man whom I directed my comment at. I did not use the word lightly and in fact another poster agreed with me. I don't agree that it's a slur - you find it offensive. You're choosing to be offended. I see it as a word to describe certain people and behaviours.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its a derogatory term, no different to any sexual, racial, religious slur. You wouldnt like to be called a slut/whore/slag etc. simply cos you like to have sex (maybe a lot of it). Im just trying to make you aware that you shouldnt throw the term "incel" around so lightly, referring to men, for whatever their issues may be, who struggle to have sex and therefore have some opinion against women regarding that. A lot of men find that term extremely hurtful.

It's not a derogatory term when wholly applicable. In this case it is used in context. The word wasn't used against a person.

It is not illegal to take offense nor to say something that someone may misinterpret and take offense to."

Thank you Granny

Reply privately

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

As a society we need to stop looking at words and looking at intent instead.

The C word is a bad word for example.

In Glasgow, if someone said "you're a good c***, you know that?" It would be a compliment.

Its all in the context and intent.

Words aren't bad. How we use or direct them can be.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

You're policing my language. I politely decline as I see no-one else objecting including the man whom I directed my comment at. I did not use the word lightly and in fact another poster agreed with me. I don't agree that it's a slur - you find it offensive. You're choosing to be offended. I see it as a word to describe certain people and behaviours. "

I think the politer way would me to delve deeper into the comment before using it

For example is a Muslim said he didn’t agree with some Christian/western beliefs you wouldn’t jump straight into “what are you an extremist / terrorists?”

I agree it’s an extreme word that’s thrown around very lightly these days, and a tiny bit more questioning on the comments made would have confirmed it wasn’t the case without having to just throw it out there

But each to their own, I feel any attempt would fall on deaf ears in this context.

Reply privately

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I was committed once, it was an interesting 28 days

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is not illegal to take offense nor to say something that someone may misinterpret and take offense to."

There are many derogatory slurs that are wholly applicable, one of the most controversial being the reference to black ppl. Doesnt make it any less offensive. Ive seen the term "incel" used as a form of derogatory insult many, many, many times all over the Internet. The word was used in reference to a belief, a common belief held by men, so i can imagine that at some point, somone will be referred to as an incel for their opinion.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

It is not illegal to take offense nor to say something that someone may misinterpret and take offense to.

There are many derogatory slurs that are wholly applicable, one of the most controversial being the reference to black ppl. Doesnt make it any less offensive. Ive seen the term "incel" used as a form of derogatory insult many, many, many times all over the Internet. The word was used in reference to a belief, a common belief held by men, so i can imagine that at some point, somone will be referred to as an incel for their opinion."

Deaf ears buddy. Their right to free speech trumps anyone else’s feelings this time sadly. But I’m with you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You're policing my language. I politely decline as I see no-one else objecting including the man whom I directed my comment at. I did not use the word lightly and in fact another poster agreed with me. I don't agree that it's a slur - you find it offensive. You're choosing to be offended. I see it as a word to describe certain people and behaviours.

I think the politer way would me to delve deeper into the comment before using it

For example is a Muslim said he didn’t agree with some Christian/western beliefs you wouldn’t jump straight into “what are you an extremist / terrorists?”

I agree it’s an extreme word that’s thrown around very lightly these days, and a tiny bit more questioning on the comments made would have confirmed it wasn’t the case without having to just throw it out there

But each to their own, I feel any attempt would fall on deaf ears in this context. "

Bobbo didn't have any problem with the way I worded it. Which I tried to word politely in a "could you explain" way. I did not call him that. I said my reaction was that it seemed that way. You're saying I jumped in - really? It was a comment that other women reacted to as well. He clarified. It's all good. Can we stop the language policing now?

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I think social media has raised everyone’s expectations. Whether it has done the same for their standards is a different question…..

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I think social media has raised everyone’s expectations. Whether it has done the same for their standards is a different question….."

My friend said it best

“Expectations are at an all time high and personal delivery hasn’t raised with it “

Everyone wants a 10/10 and they aren’t willing to budge.

Most aren’t willing to become a 10/10 either

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think social media has raised everyone’s expectations. Whether it has done the same for their standards is a different question…..

My friend said it best

“Expectations are at an all time high and personal delivery hasn’t raised with it “

Most aren’t willing to become a 10/10 either "

Bruh most aren't willing to become a 2/10.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You're policing my language. I politely decline as I see no-one else objecting including the man whom I directed my comment at. I did not use the word lightly and in fact another poster agreed with me. I don't agree that it's a slur - you find it offensive. You're choosing to be offended. I see it as a word to describe certain people and behaviours. "

I can think of a whole list of words to describe ppl and their behaviours, all of which are deemed offensive. And no youre right, i am offended, cos i absolutely hate the word incel, and i will call anyone up on it when i see them use it so lightly in reference to men and their opinions regarding sex. I understand how it can be for men not getting sex and the conclusions they come to, so calling them incels or referring to any such belief as incelish, is offensive.

Just cos nobody else in here is calling you up on it, it doesnt make you right. Confirmation bias does not validate your position.

What if i were to use a racial or religious slur? What if i called you a slut? Do i get a free pass to say that cos you dont have the right to police my words? Just as you have said that im policing yours?

Of course you probably didnt intend to use the term in an offensive manner, which is why its necessary to bring it to your attention. As i tried to do so politely. But there is no need to be standoffish and argumentative about it

Reply privately

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

Bobbo didn't have any problem with the way I worded it. Which I tried to word politely in a "could you explain" way. I did not call him that. I said my reaction was that it seemed that way. You're saying I jumped in - really? It was a comment that other women reacted to as well. He clarified. It's all good. Can we stop the language policing now? "

I'm fairly open to conversation and try to look at the overall statement rather than the words used.

A lot of people will focus on the word to take away from the argument.

I actually welcomed the alternate point of view to add to the discussion.

I used the words "withholding sex" earlier and perhaps it wasn't the best. Some people picked up on the phrase and others looked at the context and what point I was making.

It didn't de-rail the conversation this time but it's so easy to get away from the original topic by focussing on the wrong things.

Politicians use it as a tactic and are great at it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My friend said it best

Bruh most aren't willing to become a 2/10."

They arent willing cos most of them think theyre already a 10/10, or even an 8/10 at least

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because if we do let our guard down and get into a relationship and get married or even just move in together once things end the woman gets everything and the man is left paying for her the rest of his life. Turn those tables the other way around and tell me how many woman would still want commitment then

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I can think of a whole list of words to describe ppl and their behaviours, all of which are deemed offensive. And no youre right, i am offended, cos i absolutely hate the word incel, and i will call anyone up on it when i see them use it so lightly in reference to men and their opinions regarding sex. I understand how it can be for men not getting sex and the conclusions they come to, so calling them incels or referring to any such belief as incelish, is offensive.

Just cos nobody else in here is calling you up on it, it doesnt make you right. Confirmation bias does not validate your position.

What if i were to use a racial or religious slur? What if i called you a slut? Do i get a free pass to say that cos you dont have the right to police my words? Just as you have said that im policing yours?

Of course you probably didnt intend to use the term in an offensive manner, which is why its necessary to bring it to your attention. As i tried to do so politely. But there is no need to be standoffish and argumentative about it"

To quote "Um..what? You need to explain this as my first reaction is that's an incel belief."

Nowhere has she said that the poster was an in an incel. From what I read she believed the use of the use of withholding sex, suggested that he may have some incel beliefs and asked for his clarification. Think your the one with confirmation bias, you've seen the word incel and assumed the worst.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course you probably didnt intend to use the term in an offensive manner, which is why its necessary to bring it to your attention. As i tried to do so politely. But there is no need to be standoffish and argumentative about it"

I used the word in an accurate manner because what was said echoes something held as truth by incels. You are arguing with me so I'm not sure why you're calling me argumentative? I've replied politely but firmly declined and disagreed. You've kept on. You have been like this on other threads, so yes I will be standoffish.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

My friend said it best

Most aren’t willing to become a 10/10 either "

In my experience they are willing to settle for a 9.5 (inches).

Reply privately

over a year ago

My friend said it best

"

But would you settle for her is the question that needs to be asked

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Because if we do let our guard down and get into a relationship and get married or even just move in together once things end the woman gets everything and the man is left paying for her the rest of his life. Turn those tables the other way around and tell me how many woman would still want commitment then"

What do you mean pay for her for the rest of his life?

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Because if we do let our guard down and get into a relationship and get married or even just move in together once things end the woman gets everything and the man is left paying for her the rest of his life. Turn those tables the other way around and tell me how many woman would still want commitment then

What do you mean pay for her for the rest of his life? "

He could be referring to spousal support

But it’s not the rest of his life

It’s not specifically aimed at men (women could pay it)

And depending on the circumstances, it’s not entirely unfair either

But I’m just guessing at what he means

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Because if we do let our guard down and get into a relationship and get married or even just move in together once things end the woman gets everything and the man is left paying for her the rest of his life. Turn those tables the other way around and tell me how many woman would still want commitment then

What do you mean pay for her for the rest of his life? "

If you happen to have kids together then split up the man is left paying for a house he will never sleep in again and paying for the wife and child until its 18

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you happen to have kids together then split up the man is left paying for a house he will never sleep in again and paying for the wife and child until its 18"

Is this a situation you're in? Because it's quite unusual. Most couples sell the joint home and share the proceeds and the parent who has the kids more will receive maintenance. Which is as it should be. I have 3 of my kids full time - why shouldn't their father pay towards them?

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

My friend said it best

But would you settle for her is the question that needs to be asked"

I would be willing to lower my standards to a 9.36 - never say I am unreasonable!

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

He could be referring to spousal support

But it’s not the rest of his life

It’s not specifically aimed at men (women could pay it)

And depending on the circumstances, it’s not entirely unfair either

But I’m just guessing at what he means"

I didn't want to guess or presumed, hence why I asked

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you happen to have kids together then split up the man is left paying for a house he will never sleep in again and paying for the wife and child until its 18

Is this a situation you're in? Because it's quite unusual. Most couples sell the joint home and share the proceeds and the parent who has the kids more will receive maintenance. Which is as it should be. I have 3 of my kids full time - why shouldn't their father pay towards them? "

Do you work?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you happen to have kids together then split up the man is left paying for a house he will never sleep in again and paying for the wife and child until its 18"

Why is he paying for the house?

The money for the child has nothing to do with paying for the ex! It’s for the child he also created and presumably helped/continues to help raise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My friend said it best

But would you settle for her is the question that needs to be asked

I would be willing to lower my standards to a 9.36 - never say I am unreasonable!"

Jaysus thats very low. Personally I could only got for a 9.45 but thats only if her teeth aren't too long.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why is he paying for the house?

The money for the child has nothing to do with paying for the ex! It’s for the child he also created and presumably helped/continues to help raise. "

That's a reference to a Mesher order - the partner and kids stay in the family home until kids are 18. Then the house is sold and proceeds split between the partners.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is this a situation you're in? Because it's quite unusual. Most couples sell the joint home and share the proceeds and the parent who has the kids more will receive maintenance. Which is as it should be. I have 3 of my kids full time - why shouldn't their father pay towards them?

Do you work? "

Relevance? Child maintenance is for the kids, not the parent.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Do you work? "

So rude, raising 3 kids as a single mum? Hardest job in the world so obviously yes

Have you ever tried putting on peppa pig then sitting on the fab forums all day? It’s not easy pal

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you work?

So rude, raising 3 kids as a single mum? Hardest job in the world so obviously yes

Have you ever tried putting on peppa pig then sitting on the fab forums all day? It’s not easy pal "

I thought you were being really nice for a minute there! and it's four kids.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Do you work?

Have you ever tried putting on peppa pig then sitting on the fab forums all day? It’s not easy pal

I thought you were being really nice for a minute there! and it's four kids. "

Just kidding obviously, it’s a tough job and the fact guys think they can duck out without contributing is messed up

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you work?

I thought you were being really nice for a minute there! and it's four kids.

Just kidding obviously, it’s a tough job and the fact guys think they can duck out without contributing is messed up "

It is a tough job. Thank you. But fwiw my ex does pay his maintenance in full and on time. Unlike a lot of guys sadly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you work?

Relevance? Child maintenance is for the kids, not the parent. "

And what percentage is spent on yourself and not the kids. I see it all the time. Money sent to get the kids new clothes for school and the likes only to end up being spent on the mother. This hits q nerve for a lot of people but I really don't care, it happens enough to be relevant.

Reply privately

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Threads like this are amaaazing for getting incels, manospherians and evo psych cranks to out themselves.

More red flags than a May Day parade in Soviet Moscow.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Not necessarily my ex husband and I have our kids 50/50. I don't get a single penny from him. We're lucky we are able to live close to each other to make this possible. And we co-parent our children successfully.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you work?

And what percentage is spent on yourself and not the kids. I see it all the time. Money sent to get the kids new clothes for school and the likes only to end up being spent on the mother. This hits q nerve for a lot of people but I really don't care, it happens enough to be relevant. "

Interesting that you have nothing to say about a dad who doesn't see his kids but plenty to say about a mum who parents four on her own. This thread was started by a single mum FYI. Yes, I work and maintenance pays towards the costs of my kids. Rent / bills / school dinners / clothing / food etc. Good luck with your attack on single mums, I'm sure it will go down well here.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

So let me get this right, men won't commit to relationships with women in case they have kids they have to pay for and loose out on money? And they say women are the ones money grabbing ones

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So let me get this right, men won't commit to relationships with women in case they have kids they have to pay for and loose out on money? And they say women are the ones money grabbing ones "

It's interesting isn't it? Given that women by far are the ones who suffer financially if they have kids. Pensions / unable to work because of nursery costs / maintenance unpaid....

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

How did this turn into a gender war thread?

Oh that’s right, not everyone’s opinion was valid.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"How did this turn into a gender war thread?

Oh that’s right, not everyone’s opinion was valid. "

Whose opinion wasn't valid?

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So let me get this right, men won't commit to relationships with women in case they have kids they have to pay for and loose out on money? And they say women are the ones money grabbing ones "

What I get from this thread is that there are a proportion of men and women who are deeply suspicious of each others motives. Whether it's from experience or because their own motives are dubious I don't know.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh that’s right, not everyone’s opinion was valid. "

Oh come on Devon, you haven't even read the comments since you last posted have you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course you probably didnt intend to use the term in an offensive manner, which is why its necessary to bring it to your attention. As i tried to do so politely. But there is no need to be standoffish and argumentative about it

To quote "Um..what? You need to explain this as my first reaction is that's an incel belief."

Nowhere has she said that the poster was an in an incel. From what I read she believed the use of the use of withholding sex, suggested that he may have some incel beliefs and asked for his clarification. Think your the one with confirmation bias, you've seen the word incel and assumed the worst.

"

I never said anywhere that she referred to Bobbo as an incel, i dont know why ppl have kept assuming that. The point im making, which ive stated numerous times now, is that the term "incel" is now a derogatory term. Its been widely used in society today as a derogatory insult. Just look up incel in ubran dictionary and read all the descriptions, all of them bare some negative and/or toxic connotation

And for someone to come to a conclusion and say "thats an incel belief", leads me to believe that theyll use that term against a man who holds a certain opinion towards women and sex. If they meant it in a derogatory way then they need to be called up on it. If they use it as an "accurate description", then i feel its necessary to make them aware of its offensive nature. Seeing as it was the latter, then my speaking up about it and making you aware that it is now an offensive and derogatory term, is a valid point for me to make. Id understand if you were curious as to why ive brought this up, but i dont understand all the push back.

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Oh come on Devon, you haven't even read the comments since you last posted have you? "

Excuse me? Thank you for portraying me as self obsessed, you are of course right, if it isn’t about me I disengage

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"So let me get this right, men won't commit to relationships with women in case they have kids they have to pay for and loose out on money? And they say women are the ones money grabbing ones

What I get from this thread is that there are a proportion of men and women who are deeply suspicious of each others motives. Whether it's from experience or because their own motives are dubious I don't know.

"

I don't get it since when was love such an arm's race? I love who I love is about as deep as I go.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you work?

And what percentage is spent on yourself and not the kids. I see it all the time. Money sent to get the kids new clothes for school and the likes only to end up being spent on the mother. This hits q nerve for a lot of people but I really don't care, it happens enough to be relevant.

Interesting that you have nothing to say about a dad who doesn't see his kids but plenty to say about a mum who parents four on her own. This thread was started by a single mum FYI. Yes, I work and maintenance pays towards the costs of my kids. Rent / bills / school dinners / clothing / food etc. Good luck with your attack on single mums, I'm sure it will go down well here. "

Oh I have plenty to say about dads ditching their responsibility. But unlike lots of people I don't think throwing the money at them is the answer. They should be involved in the actual raising of their children. Thats responsibility.

Take it as an attack all you want. I only asked you whether you work and how much child allowance you spend on yourself. If you don't spend child allowance on personal luxuries than why even stress?

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So let me get this right, men won't commit to relationships with women in case they have kids they have to pay for and loose out on money? And they say women are the ones money grabbing ones

I don't get it since when was love such an arm's race? I love who I love is about as deep as I go. "

Me too

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I don't get it since when was love such an arm's race? I love who I love is about as deep as I go.

Me too "

Think we must be very simple or something

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I don't think men avoid commitment.

Maybe not so many couples marry now, but plenty are in committed relationships.

Also, if a man doesn't want sex then the gate isn't getting opened.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh come on Devon, you haven't even read the comments since you last posted have you?

Excuse me? Thank you for portraying me as self obsessed, you are of course right, if it isn’t about me I disengage "

I did not remotely intend to suggest you are self-obsessed (I've never thought of you in a negative way) I meant that you've typified the thread as descending into a gender war without seemingly catching up.

Reply privately

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

It's the biological imperative in action. For all oor modern sophistication, we are all still cave dwellers.

Reply privately