Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Text Acronyms

Jump to newest

By *sm265 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Shangri-la

Anyone else baffled by some of these? Have encountered a few in messages on here recently that I've had no idea what they mean and had to resort to Google

Maybe I'm getting old, but I much prefer old fashioned style messages that don't involve text speak.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'm baffled by most of them and get unreasonably irritated by getting messages in text speak.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If I can’t translate from gibberish to my native English. It’s likely to be a non-starter.

over a year ago

Comes across as lazy

But I understand why it’s a thing

Msn was limited words pre messages

The 30-40 now are the MSN generation we grow up on that speak for some they never grown out off it

For me it doesn’t bother me I am dyslexic my wording and spelling it’s quite bad sometimes so don’t really fault others on there’s

By *sm265 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Shangri-la

"I'm baffled by most of them and get unreasonably irritated by getting messages in text speak.

"

Glad it isn't just me!

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I'm baffled by most of them and get unreasonably irritated by getting messages in text speak.

Glad it isn't just me!"

It's definitely not just you

By *sm265 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Shangri-la

"If I can’t translate from gibberish to my native English. It’s likely to be a non-starter. "

Exactly, if I have to decode the message to understand it then I'm very unlikely to reply for fear of yet more gobbledegook in return

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"If I can’t translate from gibberish to my native English. It’s likely to be a non-starter. "

Yup

I can usually manage to translate but once got a long message on eBay that was beyond me. It had no punctuation, no capital letters, no paragraphs and text speak... Cal managed to translate for me

By *yrdsisWoman
over a year ago

Gleam Street

I'm terrible... have no clue about most and don't then bother trying to decipher them

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Messages that look like something that even the Enigma device would struggle to decipher are a pet peeve of mine.

over a year ago

I really dislike text speak. I don't respond to such messages. Does that translate to "I'm not interested" in text speak?

Post new Message to Thread