Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Misinterpretation

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How is it when people read messages it gets misinterpreted, they or you read it differently than intended. Has this caused anyone problems? I for one have definitely done this and it's ended badly.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"How is it when people read messages it gets misinterpreted, they or you read it differently than intended. Has this caused anyone problems? I for one have definitely done this and it's ended badly."

Writing stuff is very difficult, you know what you are wanting to say, it is skill to be able convey to others you are say. that said you also get the added complication of People read and hear what they want to read/hear, its human nature.

Only have to read the forums, somebody clumsily says something which someone takes the wrong way or misinterprets and you have a flaming thread, where everyone jumps on the bandwagon, especially if the offended is a female.

over a year ago

Why rely on technology when you could meet in a club and get an instant response?

over a year ago

Think I'm guilty of taking things the wrong way, it's difficult sometimes to weigh the other person up, especially having not met.

over a year ago

"Why rely on technology when you could meet in a club and get an instant response?"

I go to clubs alot, clubs are where I meet mostly.

over a year ago

Yeah definitely. I try, as much as possible, to read and reply politely but today for example I’ve been told “oh, so in a nice way fuck off then?” and blocked!

Seriously considering just ignoring messages from now on because it’s not worth it

By *955vintageMan
over a year ago

itchen stoke

Often the case in the modern world. The written word does not carry the emphasis that spoken word has. If you are not very precise with what you write it can be misconstrued.

My advice is that if you are getting along with someone and want it to go further then change to phone or video.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

No different to when you send work emails. I now read them several times beforehand trying to consider how they may be received as have had one or two misunderstandings over the years. Usually with people ready to pick an argument but still better not to give anyone excuses to.

On here, well there are always 'misunderstandings' as you say. Usually about cake though which I can live with

over a year ago

"No different to when you send work emails. I now read them several times beforehand trying to consider how they may be received as have had one or two misunderstandings over the years. Usually with people ready to pick an argument but still better not to give anyone excuses to.

On here, well there are always 'misunderstandings' as you say. Usually about cake though which I can live with "

Chocolate fudge cake is the best haha

over a year ago

Because you can't see the body language, or hear the tone, or the intonation of the message

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"No different to when you send work emails. I now read them several times beforehand trying to consider how they may be received as have had one or two misunderstandings over the years. Usually with people ready to pick an argument but still better not to give anyone excuses to.

On here, well there are always 'misunderstandings' as you say. Usually about cake though which I can live with

Chocolate fudge cake is the best haha "

Nearly agree, try 'one of the best' just in case

over a year ago

"Because you can't see the body language, or hear the tone, or the intonation of the message"

Yes totally get that but some people are on the defense straight away first message, I have to think did they mean that the way it sounds in my head haha

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

If George Millar is right 55% of communication is through body language, 37% is tonality.

As neither of the abovebare communicated in the written word you only have 8% chance of getting it right.

How he measured the percentages I have no idea.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

That's social media for you! A word or phrase taken out of context, or a punctuation mark in the wrong place, and misinterpretation becomes the order of the day. I'm afraid though that as my messages have been sent with the best of intentions, and they decide they want no further contact, it's water off a ducks back, and their problem not mine. The other thing that is very apparent is that when you send, and recieve messages, you are reading them in your own accent, rather than hearing the voice of the sender who may put a totally different emphasis on a subject than how it's coming across to you, thus it's very easy to misunderstand written text as opposed to voice contact where there's no misunderstanding. That's why my preference has always been for early telephone contact, which with current legislation in place regarding nuisance and malicious communication, voice contact is relatively risk free these days.

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

I struggle with text messages as sometimes I can't tell whether someone is being funny/sarcastic or there angry

I find using an emoji with the message helpful in depicting the tone of the conversation

That said the more you get to know someone in real life the easier texting gets

Post new Message to Thread