Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dairy alternatives

Jump to newest

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

Suggestions please, of foods you've tried and liked, as I can no longer eat most dairy products.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I really like oat milk, it’s good in coffee and makes wonderful porridge

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

"I really like oat milk, it’s good in coffee and makes wonderful porridge "

Yes, I've used it in porridge.

I've practically stopped drinking tea because the milk makes me ill.

I'm looking for products like custard etc

over a year ago

Alpro seems to work for me

over a year ago

Lactose free milk, its creampie tasting than normal milk

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I've found that it's worth paying a bit more. Alpro soya products are WAY nicer than cheap soya stuff. I like the Alpro greek style yoghurt with passionfruit. They do nice chocolate or vanilla pudding thingies. The Alpro custard is lovely and I prefer Alpro soya milk to own brands.

I'm actually lactose intolerant (not dairy allergic) so use a lot of Lactofree products too. These are unsuitable for dairy allergy though, only good if lactose is the only issue.

over a year ago

"Lactose free milk, its creampie tasting than normal milk "

Creamier not creampie... damn auto thingy!

over a year ago

North West

But is still dairy so unsuitable for true dairy avoidance. It's only suited to those needing to avoid lactose (like me )

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Arla is semi skimmed but without the lactose. Tastes the best of the many I've tried.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"Lactose free milk, its creampie tasting than normal milk

Creamier not creampie... damn auto thingy! "

Yeah yeah! We all know what you've been typing regularly

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

But is still dairy so unsuitable for true dairy avoidance. It's only suited to those needing to avoid lactose (like me )"

ah

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

Creamier not creampie... damn auto thingy! "

Sex on the brain

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

I was just looking at Alpro custard. I'll try the Alpro stuff first.

I already use their oat milk.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

Full dairy allergy then oat,rice or almond milk works well and most brands do a version of it and things like custard and cream in them.

Lactose only then Lactose free milk works well for me and a lot of brands are introducing Lactose free ranges too in cheeses and craems and desserts

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

But is still dairy so unsuitable for true dairy avoidance. It's only suited to those needing to avoid lactose (like me )"

That could be me too. I'm at the experimental stage at the moment. I'm trying a low FODMAP diet and dairy alternatives.

over a year ago

Creampie?

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

"Full dairy allergy then oat,rice or almond milk works well and most brands do a version of it and things like custard and cream in them.

Lactose only then Lactose free milk works well for me and a lot of brands are introducing Lactose free ranges too in cheeses and craems and desserts "

I miss profiteroles and apple pie with custard.

over a year ago

North West

Almond milk is also okay in coffee, just already very sweet so I don't add my usual 1/4 spoon of sugar.

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

Creampie? "

Freudian slip.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"I've found that it's worth paying a bit more. Alpro soya products are WAY nicer than cheap soya stuff. I like the Alpro greek style yoghurt with passionfruit. They do nice chocolate or vanilla pudding thingies. The Alpro custard is lovely and I prefer Alpro soya milk to own brands.

"

I thought soya (or large quantities of) was bad as it contained hormones, or something like it?

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

"Almond milk is also okay in coffee, just already very sweet so I don't add my usual 1/4 spoon of sugar."

I don't really drink coffee, just Nescafe decaffeinated cappuccino, that gives me a stomach ache.

Not sure I'd like any alternative milk in tea.

over a year ago

North West

But is still dairy so unsuitable for true dairy avoidance. It's only suited to those needing to avoid lactose (like me )

That could be me too. I'm at the experimental stage at the moment. I'm trying a low FODMAP diet and dairy alternatives. "

If it's the FODMAP diet then you only should need to cut out lactose rather than all aspects of dairy. Watch out for some of the other sugars added to dairy free alternatives as they will not be FODMAP friendly. Ditto low sugar stuff (polyols).

over a year ago

North West

"I've found that it's worth paying a bit more. Alpro soya products are WAY nicer than cheap soya stuff. I like the Alpro greek style yoghurt with passionfruit. They do nice chocolate or vanilla pudding thingies. The Alpro custard is lovely and I prefer Alpro soya milk to own brands.

I thought soya (or large quantities of) was bad as it contained hormones, or something like it? "

For soya products to impact your oestrogen, you'd have to consume huge amounts. A bit of custard and some soya milk on your cornflakes isn't going to affect anything.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

That could be me too. I'm at the experimental stage at the moment. I'm trying a low FODMAP diet and dairy alternatives. "

Low fodmap you just need to avoid lactose, fructose, wheat and sugar for the most. Dairy per se, isn't much of a thing, you can still eat mature cheese. There is high quantities of sugar in almond milk for instance.

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

I thought soya (or large quantities of) was bad as it contained hormones, or something like it? "

I wouldn't be eating enough of it to affect me.

By *ad Nanna OP   Woman
over a year ago

East London

That could be me too. I'm at the experimental stage at the moment. I'm trying a low FODMAP diet and dairy alternatives.

Low fodmap you just need to avoid lactose, fructose, wheat and sugar for the most. Dairy per se, isn't much of a thing, you can still eat mature cheese. There is high quantities of sugar in almond milk for instance. "

Yes, I can't have kefir because of the sugar in it.

Found out the hard way.

I have dairy intolerance and fat can make me ill since having my gallbladder removed.

over a year ago

I'm a chef and fell into vegan cookery as we were asked to cater in a field for 5 days for 300 vegans. I really enjoyed the challenge and got a but obsessed with making vegan cheese. But because hubby has a lethal nut allergy I tried with alternatives to the usual cashews. White beans work the best. Obviously high in fibre and the only fats are refined coconut. Pm me if you'd like to be bored with ideas or recipes.

over a year ago

Alpro is ok, there is also oatley and Judes (sainsburys sell it).. Judes does vanilla and chocolate

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

If you find a large supermarket, the free-from chilled cabinets usually have some good stuff in (for a price!)

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Almond milk is good

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

The lidl oat milk always sells fast. On shelf rather than fridge, near baking goods.

over a year ago

"I really like oat milk, it’s good in coffee and makes wonderful porridge "
yeh oat milk is really tasty and good for you ??

over a year ago

"If you find a large supermarket, the free-from chilled cabinets usually have some good stuff in (for a price!)"
good stuff always is pricey the healthy foods I mean

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

You should check out my milking thread

LvM

over a year ago

North West

"You should check out my milking thread

LvM"

Unfortunately contains some sugars that might not be FODMAP friendly

over a year ago

Would you like some dairy free breastmilk? I can get back on it and bottle you some up

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

"You should check out my milking thread

LvM

Unfortunately contains some sugars that might not be FODMAP friendly "

Worth a punt

LvM

over a year ago

North West

"Would you like some dairy free breastmilk? I can get back on it and bottle you some up "

Full of lactose though

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

Oatly is my fave oat milk, and they do great 'oatgurt' too. Not tried their custard (not a fan of any custard), but imagine it's good based on the rest of their stuff...

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

With tea try it Russian style, a spoonful of sugar and a thick slice of lemon (works best for loose leaf tea) no milk

over a year ago

I use unsweetened Koko in my tea

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I like cashew milk. Alpro Soya yoghurts are delicious. Some things are unexpectedly dairy free like oreos, a lot of cheap bourbons and jaffa cakes, fry's cream bars. There's actually an Instagram called accidentally vegan which is great for finding stuff.

On the flip side to that be careful as some things unexpectedly have dairy in like diet mayonnaise, lots of flavours or crisps, even vitamins.

over a year ago

Coconut milk in drinks and porridge for me.

Going forward I can tell I'm going to have to quit on cheese. So will welcome any cheese alternatives too!

over a year ago

"I like cashew milk. Alpro Soya yoghurts are delicious. Some things are unexpectedly dairy free like oreos, a lot of cheap bourbons and jaffa cakes, fry's cream bars. There's actually an Instagram called accidentally vegan which is great for finding stuff.

On the flip side to that be careful as some things unexpectedly have dairy in like diet mayonnaise, lots of flavours or crisps, even vitamins. "

Frys bars now have milk powder added to them.. They just announced it

over a year ago

Oat milk or almond. They are awesome, I wish I’d had it earlier.

over a year ago

As others have mentioned Alpro, coconut milk, almond or oat etc..

By *orl1971Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

If you’re looking for non-dairy custard OP then then Judes do a plant based vanilla custard and a Belgium chocolate custard. Very nice substitutes

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I like cashew milk. Alpro Soya yoghurts are delicious. Some things are unexpectedly dairy free like oreos, a lot of cheap bourbons and jaffa cakes, fry's cream bars. There's actually an Instagram called accidentally vegan which is great for finding stuff.

On the flip side to that be careful as some things unexpectedly have dairy in like diet mayonnaise, lots of flavours or crisps, even vitamins.

Frys bars now have milk powder added to them.. They just announced it "

Why would they do that. This is like Bournville all over again

over a year ago

Why would they do that. This is like Bournville all over again "

And pringles (I think it's a cheap bulking agent)

over a year ago

Good news tho Krispy creme now have dairy free offerings!

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

Why would they do that. This is like Bournville all over again

And pringles (I think it's a cheap bulking agent)

"

Aldi do a mint creme bar that is dairy free/vegan

Post new Message to Thread