Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

So today

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

After weighing myself and have the scales squealing under the pressure I have signed back up to the gym.

Not been since before lockdown....

A little bit excited, a little nervous and a little rusty.

Working on my exercise plans, going to continue my Yoga and alternate it with the gym and swimming.

If you workout what is your regime?

My focus isn't losing weight necessarily, don't want the pressure of setting goals really because I don't want to overwhelm but just looking to increase fitness initially and build up from that

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rooperRedMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

Stronglifts 5x5.

Enjoy. Have fun. Never lose sight of your goal. And have fun. Those days when the couch is louder just remember that no one ever regretted going to the gym after.

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

I'm sure you will be fine. I think there is no harm in setting goals though as they can provide a good motivation and anything extra that you do would be an added bonus.

Just make sure your goals are achievable and you can change the goals however you see fit, low goals so you can achieve it and gradually increase it as you see fit or high goals if you want a challenge.

Importantly, just have fun as you have to enjoy otherwise it will feel like a chore.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you will smash it. We are all behind you for sure

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Just start, just go, make it a part of ur routine

My fitness pal app has a good forum for whatever u r looking for

Don't hesiste to message me on here if you needed any help x

over a year ago

I’m currently on a strength block for the next 6 weeks. 4 sessions per week (non negotiable) and 1 or 2 cardio sessions if I choose to add them.

over a year ago

"Stronglifts 5x5.

Enjoy. Have fun. Never lose sight of your goal. And have fun. Those days when the couch is louder just remember that no one ever regretted going to the gym after."

This is very true. Always felt great after going

over a year ago

"I'm sure you will be fine. I think there is no harm in setting goals though as they can provide a good motivation and anything extra that you do would be an added bonus.

Just make sure your goals are achievable and you can change the goals however you see fit, low goals so you can achieve it and gradually increase it as you see fit or high goals if you want a challenge.

Importantly, just have fun as you have to enjoy otherwise it will feel like a chore.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you will smash it. We are all behind you for sure "

Yeah I agree, realistic goals is key isn't it

Thank you. I work right next door to the gun so I have no excuse

over a year ago

"Just start, just go, make it a part of ur routine

My fitness pal app has a good forum for whatever u r looking for

Don't hesiste to message me on here if you needed any help x "

That's really kind, thank you. Yes the gym has a fitness app, I'll get it downloaded x

over a year ago

"I’m currently on a strength block for the next 6 weeks. 4 sessions per week (non negotiable) and 1 or 2 cardio sessions if I choose to add them. "

Thar sounds great but I'd need to mix it up i'd get bored of one workout over that time frame

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I am on low impact due to my knees hating me because of menopause atm so I walk min 10,000 steps a day and yoga exercises to keep me semi flexible. When covid is not messing with pool time I also do 25 laps a day for upper body toning and cardio

over a year ago

Joining the gym next week but currently walking 17k steps a day rain or shine

With the encouragement from another fabber

over a year ago

"I’m currently on a strength block for the next 6 weeks. 4 sessions per week (non negotiable) and 1 or 2 cardio sessions if I choose to add them.

Thar sounds great but I'd need to mix it up i'd get bored of one workout over that time frame"

I have various programs to complete so I never get too bored. My coach knows to keep it varied and challenging.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I bought a spin bike last year, and was using it loads until I started a new job...now I often do 10-11 hour days (working from home has the disadvantage of me not being able to switch off ), but I need to get my arse into gear and get back on it.

When the evenings start getting lighter I'll start walking more again, I live in the sticks so it's not safe in the dark on country lanes without pavements.

And I'm looking to get some weights to add some resistance training to my regime.

over a year ago

I don't bother with weight because it muddies things if you're also aiming to build strength.

I measure waist and a few other bits every few weeks plus use a grip strength measuring thingy.

over a year ago

4 steps 8 reps behind the neck miltry press

6 sets 8 reps pull ups with 20kg around my waist

4 sets 8 reps bend over rows

3 sets 8 reps side bends 40kg a side

300 sit ups drop sets in 60s drop 5kg a set but just before new year I up that to 500 100 sit ups a set can’t clame it yet as I only hit it ones could have flooked out on that one

3 sets off 8 press ups from bench press high with 20kg in a back pack

Then alt bween deads and squats depends on day ie if I done deads last work out it’s squats this one and vice versa 3 sets off 8 reps

over a year ago

"I am on low impact due to my knees hating me because of menopause atm so I walk min 10,000 steps a day and yoga exercises to keep me semi flexible. When covid is not messing with pool time I also do 25 laps a day for upper body toning and cardio "

Sorry about your knees, hope it's not too painful. Staying flexible is important.

over a year ago

"Joining the gym next week but currently walking 17k steps a day rain or shine

With the encouragement from another fabber "

Ooh will done you!!

over a year ago

"I bought a spin bike last year, and was using it loads until I started a new job...now I often do 10-11 hour days (working from home has the disadvantage of me not being able to switch off ), but I need to get my arse into gear and get back on it.

When the evenings start getting lighter I'll start walking more again, I live in the sticks so it's not safe in the dark on country lanes without pavements.

And I'm looking to get some weights to add some resistance training to my regime. "

That sounds great! I wish I had the space for home equipment x

over a year ago

"I don't bother with weight because it muddies things if you're also aiming to build strength.

I measure waist and a few other bits every few weeks plus use a grip strength measuring thingy.

"

Yeah I know what you mean, if I"? Working out I don't weigh in either, I can tell if I'm gaining or losing. Deffo gaining at the moment x

over a year ago

"4 steps 8 reps behind the neck miltry press

300 sit ups drop sets in 60s drop 5kg a set but just before new year I up that to 500 100 sit ups a set can’t clame it yet as I only hit it ones could have flooked out on that one

Then alt bween deads and squats depends on day ie if I done deads last work out it’s squats this one and vice versa 3 sets off 8 reps "

That sounds like a great workout. How often do you do that?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I am on low impact due to my knees hating me because of menopause atm so I walk min 10,000 steps a day and yoga exercises to keep me semi flexible. When covid is not messing with pool time I also do 25 laps a day for upper body toning and cardio "

You can use resistance weights in the pool too! Foam dumbells light as a feather but in water are an excellent way to strengthen your muscles

By *Booboo-Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Did similar recently. I got into a good routine over lockdown.

I've joined a virtual gym with classes most days. They are 30mins on zoom and are recorded so you can catch up later if you don't want to get out of bed. There's also a big back catalogue of old classes I can do. They are all different so don't get bored.

I've not been as good in December, but have started back again toward the end of last year and hitting it hard again.

The only limitation is the weights I have at home. Although I've changed my shape a lot, I've kind of reached my limits with my weights in the house.

over a year ago

Well done, positive healthy start to the year good luck

Day 1- push day- bench press (flat/decline/incline), standing shoulder press, cable pec tone, tricep pull down, dumbell tricept press

Day 2- pull day- lat pull down, weighted row, bicep curl, cable curl, power squats

Day3- legs/cardio- vert leg press, incline press, weighted squats, stepper 200 floors

Day4- off

Repeat

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"I am on low impact due to my knees hating me because of menopause atm so I walk min 10,000 steps a day and yoga exercises to keep me semi flexible. When covid is not messing with pool time I also do 25 laps a day for upper body toning and cardio

Sorry about your knees, hope it's not too painful. Staying flexible is important."

Thank you x

Its manageable with painkillers and heat atm and I have an appointment with the docs for blood work to get HRT

over a year ago

"Well done, positive healthy start to the year good luck

Day 1- push day- bench press (flat/decline/incline), standing shoulder press, cable pec tone, tricep pull down, dumbell tricept press

Day 2- pull day- lat pull down, weighted row, bicep curl, cable curl, power squats

Day3- legs/cardio- vert leg press, incline press, weighted squats, stepper 200 floors

Day4- off

Repeat "

Thank you. I want to get back to the same sort level of fitness and weight that I was prior to lockdown. I know I need to build up slowly.

You have a good balanced workout and it obviously works from what I can see

over a year ago

"I am on low impact due to my knees hating me because of menopause atm so I walk min 10,000 steps a day and yoga exercises to keep me semi flexible. When covid is not messing with pool time I also do 25 laps a day for upper body toning and cardio

Sorry about your knees, hope it's not too painful. Staying flexible is important.

Thank you x

Its manageable with painkillers and heat atm and I have an appointment with the docs for blood work to get HRT "

Ah good luck. I am sure I will be following soon if I'm not already

over a year ago

"Did similar recently. I got into a good routine over lockdown.

I've joined a virtual gym with classes most days. They are 30mins on zoom and are recorded so you can catch up later if you don't want to get out of bed. There's also a big back catalogue of old classes I can do. They are all different so don't get bored.

I've not been as good in December, but have started back again toward the end of last year and hitting it hard again.

The only limitation is the weights I have at home. Although I've changed my shape a lot, I've kind of reached my limits with my weights in the house."

I thought about an app, but I need the motivation at the gym

over a year ago

I really want to improve my swimming fitness so I dont flounder and drown in the ocean if a small wave hits me.

By *MrandMrsRedxCouple
over a year ago

Wiltshire

"After weighing myself and have the scales squealing under the pressure I have signed back up to the gym.

Working on my exercise plans, going to continue my Yoga and alternate it with the gym and swimming.

My focus isn't losing weight necessarily, don't want the pressure of setting goals really because I don't want to overwhelm but just looking to increase fitness initially and build up from that

"

Well done! That sounds ideal.

I do yoga 3 times a week, just started running with the Mr and am also hoping to get back into powerlifting in the next few weeks!

Mrs x

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Some of the men are going to squeel at this but I do some leg excercises every time I go to the gym. I do one day a week that I mainly focus on my back, one where I mainly focus on my glutes and one where I mainly focus on my quads. On back day I'll throw in some squats or walking lunges and the other days I add a bit of abs, arms and shoulders. I also do some specific excercises and stretches to work on my personal postural issues.

I guess it depends what your personal goals or and in terms of overall fitness, squats and deadlifts are great but definitely get a couple of lessons to start off if you're new to them.

I can't do cardio due to a heart condition so if this is something you want to do I'm useless to try to advise .

over a year ago

"4 steps 8 reps behind the neck miltry press

Then alt bween deads and squats depends on day ie if I done deads last work out it’s squats this one and vice versa 3 sets off 8 reps

That sounds like a great workout. How often do you do that?"

Ever second day so around 4times a week roughly

By *ragoniteMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

Whatever you do, mix it up so you get a balance between cardio, flexibility, balance, core and strength. That way you’re less likely to get bored.

Classes. Try a few and keep going to the ones you get a buzz from. There are so many to try now. Often it’s the instructor rather than the class that makes the difference. And the people you meet there.

Goals. Hmmm I’ve never been convinced. Weight loss will happen if you exercise regularly. Standing on scales can be counterproductive. You may be getting healthier and stronger but the numbers on the scales may not be going down as fast as you want. It doesn’t matter. If your clothes feel looser and you feel better then that’s all that matters.

And if you get niggles don’t ignore them or they’ll turn into injuries.

Looking forwards to seeing the 6 pack

over a year ago

You can do it! Good luck x

over a year ago

"I really want to improve my swimming fitness so I dont flounder and drown in the ocean if a small wave hits me. "

I know what you mean! I'm not a strong swimmer but can swim lengths easily

over a year ago

"After weighing myself and have the scales squealing under the pressure I have signed back up to the gym.

Well done! That sounds ideal.

I do yoga 3 times a week, just started running with the Mr and am also hoping to get back into powerlifting in the next few weeks!

Mrs x"

Wow! Good luck with that!

over a year ago

"Some of the men are going to squeel at this but I do some leg excercises every time I go to the gym. I do one day a week that I mainly focus on my back, one where I mainly focus on my glutes and one where I mainly focus on my quads. On back day I'll throw in some squats or walking lunges and the other days I add a bit of abs, arms and shoulders. I also do some specific excercises and stretches to work on my personal postural issues.

I guess it depends what your personal goals or and in terms of overall fitness, squats and deadlifts are great but definitely get a couple of lessons to start off if you're new to them.

I can't do cardio due to a heart condition so if this is something you want to do I'm useless to try to advise .

"

Sounds like a good all round workout. Yeah I have a heart condition too so have to be careful with the cardio, steady over distance for me

over a year ago

"Whatever you do, mix it up so you get a balance between cardio, flexibility, balance, core and strength. That way you’re less likely to get bored.

Classes. Try a few and keep going to the ones you get a buzz from. There are so many to try now. Often it’s the instructor rather than the class that makes the difference. And the people you meet there.

Goals. Hmmm I’ve never been convinced. Weight loss will happen if you exercise regularly. Standing on scales can be counterproductive. You may be getting healthier and stronger but the numbers on the scales may not be going down as fast as you want. It doesn’t matter. If your clothes feel looser and you feel better then that’s all that matters.

Looking forwards to seeing the 6 pack "

Yep always mix up the workout, my regime before lockdown was tight. Can't wait to get back into it.

Lmao! Trust you!

over a year ago

"You can do it! Good luck x"

Thank you lovely x

over a year ago

I’m aiming to box again this year. I’m 30 in June and would like to do so before then. I was talented as a kid, 9-1 carded amateur record before I decided to play football instead.

Still trained until I was 24 or so, then stopped and chubbed up, recently worked myself down to a more realistic weight.

So I’ve not started to train yet, I’m just drinking more water and eating the correct things. I’ve eaten and drank nothing but rubbish for half a decade so I’ll give my body a boost before I ask it to do anything.

After a month of proper diet I’ll start to run. When I can run 3 miles in a decent time (I used to run 3 miles on a treadmill before every boxing session as a warm up…) then I’ll go back to the gym and see how I respond to getting hit and what my reflexes etc are like now.

Quite excited to find out if I’m honest.

over a year ago

"Whatever you do, mix it up so you get a balance between cardio, flexibility, balance, core and strength. That way you’re less likely to get bored.

Looking forwards to seeing the 6 pack "

Such great advice! I'm calling my local gym tomorrow to book am induction to get started.

Doing pay as you go to start with as I've been rubbish in the past joining gyms and never going.

I'll also try classes. I just find it really difficult to fit it in with a young family but something's got to change!

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I do a legs, push, pull workout that's 3 days on and 1 day off and go for 40 minute walks every day although I would like to try and improve my cardio a bit more

over a year ago

Looking forwards to seeing the 6 pack

Such great advice! I'm calling my local gym tomorrow to book am induction to get started.

Doing pay as you go to start with as I've been rubbish in the past joining gyms and never going.

I'll also try classes. I just find it really difficult to fit it in with a young family but something's got to change!"

Ooh good luck! I can imagine it is difficult with little ones but go for it. Looking forward to the updates x

over a year ago

"I do a legs, push, pull workout that's 3 days on and 1 day off and go for 40 minute walks every day although I would like to try and improve my cardio a bit more "

Sounds like you are keeping your cardio on an even keel. I love walking and did loads over Christmas x

over a year ago

Walking is completely underrated. When I was doing 5 shifts a week leading up to Xmas I was walking on average 32 thousand steps per shift and I lost weight. Week off over Xmas and over eating and the belly is back.

My sister bought me resistance bands so I’m gonna google a few home workouts to do with them.

over a year ago

"Walking is completely underrated. When I was doing 5 shifts a week leading up to Xmas I was walking on average 32 thousand steps per shift and I lost weight. Week off over Xmas and over eating and the belly is back.

My sister bought me resistance bands so I’m gonna google a few home workouts to do with them. "

You are so right, walking is underrated, I love walking, low impact and can set your pace.

Good luck with the resistance bands, won't take you long for sure x

over a year ago

So today I had my first gym session since before lockdown

Felt so good. Took it easy today with 30 minutes on the treadmill, intermittent fast walking then jogging. Then resistance, 4.5 kg 20 reps. Then 30 minutes steady rowing to finish.

Then cooled down with yoga and stretching

Next time it will be swimming...

Quite surprised how quickly I got back into it

Post new Message to Thread