Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How spiritual are you?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

On a scale of 1 to 10?

1 - is more to the thinking that, yes you are conscious. Your break was once switched on do so complicated thought and one day you will switch off and become nothing again.

10 - leans heavily on your spirit was born somewhere in time and is on a journey (who knows where) and you have a soul inside this body of ours.

Or explain your own beliefs. peace

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I belong to the universal consciousness.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Total atheist. No spiritual feelings or beliefs whatsoever. Also no belief in ghosts, superstitions or Star signs.

We are here because of a biological and scientific quirk.

I do believe while we are here we should do the best we can for ourselves and others, and leave it a better world for having had us in it. And enjoy ourselves.

Once dead I believe it'll be exactly as it was before we were born. Infinite nothingness we have no awareness of.

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

The spirits within me come directly out of a bottle!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm maybe an 8.

I believe religions are manmade so I don't believe in god and the things that go with that.

But I also believe there's more to life than humans can understand.

over a year ago

1 - there's simply no evidence available that I can seenthat would suggest otherwise.

I feel religion and spirituality in general is mainly there to ease people's existential worries and provide meaning to what is most likely a meaningless existence.

There is no god, nothing happens for a reason, nobody is in charge of our destiny but ourselves.

Now to most people this may sound like I'm a miserable twat who is depressing to be around but it actually makes me feel the opposite.

My lack of belief in the metaphysical actually allows me to not worry about stuff too much, I just try to be a nice person and enjoy what little time I have on earth because as far as I'm concerned there's nothing else for us in the afterlife (because there isn't one).

over a year ago

"Now to most people this may sound like I'm a miserable twat who is depressing to be around but it actually makes me feel the opposite."

Not really. I'd say this bit:

"There is no god, nothing happens for a reason, nobody is in charge of our destiny but ourselves"

is hugely optimistic.

By *adyBugsWoman
over a year ago

cognito

I guess I’m 10…

Isn’t all energy converted into a different energy scientifically speaking as it cannot be created or destroyed so if we exist now we must exist as something else when we are gone?

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

Dyslexic atheist and don’t believe in dog

over a year ago

I was christened in a spiritualist church, so had a lot of influence of more mediums than religious figures.

I think I’m sceptical, but believe in something, not necessarily a god. I do believe everything happens for a reason and our choice lead us to paths already laid out, though we choose which we take.

I believe organised religion is a business and like any other business they are selling you a product or an idea.

I’m not sure where on a scale I would sit, because I also refer to myself as an atheist lol

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm probably around 7/8. I genuinely have no idea if our consciousness existed before band continues after this life but I am very aware that some part of me is deeply connected with the energy of the rest of existence. This might end when I die or shortly after and it might not I don't know.

over a year ago

"I'm maybe an 8.

I believe religions are manmade so I don't believe in god and the things that go with that.

"

I wasn’t really addressing the religious ‘god’ idea. More of the personal spiritual aspect of life.

over a year ago

"I'm probably around 7/8. I genuinely have no idea if our consciousness existed before band continues after this life but I am very aware that some part of me is deeply connected with the energy of the rest of existence. This might end when I die or shortly after and it might not I don't know."

We are all made of stardust

over a year ago

Let's just say I did 5 MEO DMT and things were never the same again...

over a year ago

"I'm maybe an 8.

I wasn’t really addressing the religious ‘god’ idea. More of the personal spiritual aspect of life.

"

My apologies. The explain your own beliefs part got me confused.

over a year ago

"I'm probably around 7/8. I genuinely have no idea if our consciousness existed before band continues after this life but I am very aware that some part of me is deeply connected with the energy of the rest of existence. This might end when I die or shortly after and it might not I don't know.

We are all made of stardust "

True. All the elements found in the universe can be found in us. I find that quite amazing.

over a year ago

"The spirits within me come directly out of a bottle!"

over a year ago

"I'm probably around 7/8. I genuinely have no idea if our consciousness existed before band continues after this life but I am very aware that some part of me is deeply connected with the energy of the rest of existence. This might end when I die or shortly after and it might not I don't know.

We are all made of stardust

True. All the elements found in the universe can be found in us. I find that quite amazing. "

It's a good film too

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think that what a lot of people believe is external to them is actually internal.

over a year ago

I think it depends on how you perceive being spiritual. For me, spiritual is what makes me me and you you.

For me it's a combination of our individual life experiences, beliefs, fears, expectations, hopes and how we use them.

In my opinion you don't need a smelly candle or sage to be spiritual. Simply noticing someone is less than OK and doing or saying or listening to them is a spiritual act.

This is just my opinion though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think it depends on how you perceive being spiritual. For me, spiritual is what makes me me and you you.

For me it's a combination of our individual life experiences, beliefs, fears, expectations, hopes and how we use them.

In my opinion you don't need a smelly candle or sage to be spiritual. Simply noticing someone is less than OK and doing or saying or listening to them is a spiritual act.

This is just my opinion though. "

I agree about the sage and candles. If it helps you that's great but you don't *need* it

over a year ago

can I be a minus 5

I believe that religion is about - fighting who’s imaginary friend is the best!

some of the most cruel people I know hide behind gods will!

over a year ago

"I think it depends on how you perceive being spiritual. For me, spiritual is what makes me me and you you.

This is just my opinion though. "

So your about a 5 then?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"can I be a minus 5

I believe that religion is about - fighting who’s imaginary friend is the best!

some of the most cruel people I know hide behind gods will! "

That's religion not spirituality

over a year ago

"I think that what a lot of people believe is external to them is actually internal."

So what they believe to be true about someone is actually the perceivers beliefs?

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Always have been since as a child in the presence of a poltergeist and everything else since has really opened my eyes to believe.

By *angerous123Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"I'm maybe an 8.

"

This exactly. What life is, is beyond our comprehension.

Science can't get close to answering the biggest elephant in the room. What's beyond the stars, where did this all begin, if at all. Logically there can't of been a beginning, what 'this' is, is beyond our understanding.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

10 for me x

over a year ago

"

This exactly. What life is, is beyond our comprehension.

Science can't get close to answering the biggest elephant in the room. What's beyond the stars, where did this all begin, if at all. Logically there can't of been a beginning, what 'this' is, is beyond our understanding.

"

Yes, I love trying to fans the answer to this. A deep thought indeed.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think that what a lot of people believe is external to them is actually internal.

So what they believe to be true about someone is actually the perceivers beliefs?

"

Yes that too but what I really mean is that our mind is way more powerful than we understand or give it credit for and a lot of what our spirituality is is centred there rather in an external "force" or "being". I know this isn't about God but I always think the biblical quote about God creating man in his own image (apart from being incredibly arrogant on behalf of the author) is the wrong way round and man created god in his own image

over a year ago

7 I suppose. Probably more agnostic than atheist..

as far the supernatural goes, there lightly a huge body of evidence that suggests that there's something there, that things happen, things do exist. Gut instinct says it's not all fluff and fairy tales

I haven't ever ploughed through that evidence. But I bet better brains than mine probably have though..

over a year ago

"Always have been since as a child in the presence of a poltergeist and everything else since has really opened my eyes to believe."

Nothing ever trump's personal experience

over a year ago

We are all made of stardust "

I never really understood this till I watched One Strange Rock, explained it perfectly to me. Fabulous documentary.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Always have been since as a child in the presence of a poltergeist and everything else since has really opened my eyes to believe.

Nothing ever trump's personal experience"

It's a fragment of your imagination

By *osineCouple
over a year ago

Weston-Super-Mare

This reminds me of the song - I'm more spiritual than you

Hahaha

Oh dear

over a year ago

I watched Casper when I was young so I’m fairly confident when I say I know what comes next

over a year ago

"Always have been since as a child in the presence of a poltergeist and everything else since has really opened my eyes to believe.

It's a fragment of your imagination"

Your own perception of what's happening is a component, yeah. But I repeat personal experiences matters...

As you suggested, it changes outlook..it couldn't fail to.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

It's a fragment of your imagination

Your own perception of what's happening is a component, yeah. But I repeat personal experiences matters...

As you suggested, it changes outlook..it couldn't fail to."

Totally.makes it more difficult not to and explore further which also unearths more again and understand

over a year ago

"I'm maybe an 8.

"

Nothing can be anything without a maker or creator.

Nothing is an accident,everything has a purpose even down to a small natt..

Anything that man has made. Has a handbook for guidance to help use it to the best for what it was created and purpose for.

If we really look abit deeper at the human construct beyond the looks we wish only to see. Our makeup is very very technical in Design in everyway possible.

We call male/female beautiful, nature,the sky,the sun the stars,how could these and anything work so perfectly!

We are limited in our own very minds,we are stubborn and do not wish to bow down to a higher supreme power and maker..

Peace

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

Oh my pet subject for after dinner conversation about internet dating. My knowledge on the subject stemming from pulling a genuine 24carat broomstick pilot from Nantyglo, yes a practicing witch complete with her own broomstick, and also the time I was invited round for supper by a woman in Cardiff, and I wasn't in the house ten minutes when I thought that she was having an epileptic seizure. Nothing quite that simple, she'd only gone into a trance to talk to the dead, and reckoned that we had been joined by my late maternal grandmother, and she reckoned that I was a king in ancient Egypt millenniums ago, and thereby hangs another tale! The full stories of both those experiences would fill up this entire web page, but they don't leave me short of stimulating conversation regarding some of the unusual people that you encounter in the weird and wonderful world of cyberspace courtship.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Your scale needs negative numbers. I don't believe we get "switched on" or "switched off". This idea implies that there is something to switch on, some controlling entity, a ghost in the machine, a soul, a spirit or whatever you want to call it.

There is no evidence at all for such an entity nor any known way that it could influence the physical matter we are made of. What we experience as living is just an ongoing series of chemical reactions that started way back in the earliest days of our universe and will continue long after we are gone when the atoms that make up our bodies react and combine with other atoms and then still other atoms in an ongoing series of exchanges that will only end when the universe reaches it's heat death equilibrium

There's a useful series of questions about being "switched on" or ensoulment as some religions call it (the point at which our soul supposedly enters our body) and when it happens. Does it happen at conception? What happens if the embryo doesn't implant, does the soul come out at the woman's next period? What happens when an embryo splits to form identical twins? Does only one twin have a soul? Does a second soul appear when the embryo splits? Does that mean conjoined twins have two souls? What about those that absorb their "twin" in the womb, do they have two souls? Perhaps the soul only comes at birth? Then what about c-section births? Maybe it is breathing air for the first time? If so what about people who drown in cold water and remain clinically dead for many minutes, does their soul go? Do they get a new one if revived? Perhaps the soul only appears once a brain or mind reaches a certain level of awareness, does that mean that a person with dementia looses their soul sometime before they die?

The problem is that advances in our understanding of how we grow in the womb, how our brains work, how they can fail and be damaged by disease, injury or drugs have all made a soul less and less possible. At the same time they have made answering this question more and more difficult and fraught with contradictiond. The OP talks about being switched on. What is switched on? When? When is it switched off?

No, on your scale OP I'm about -10.

Mr

over a year ago

I find the notion of a soul dubious.

But conscience, that's interesting.

over a year ago

Swansea

"I'm maybe an 8.

Anything that man has made. Has a handbook for guidance to help use it to the best for what it was created and purpose for.

If we really look abit deeper at the human construct beyond the looks we wish only to see. Our makeup is very very technical in Design in everyway possible.

We call male/female beautiful, nature,the sky,the sun the stars,how could these and anything work so perfectly!

We are limited in our own very minds,we are stubborn and do not wish to bow down to a higher supreme power and maker..

Peace

"

Why did the creator give us an eye that has the optic nerve passing through the retina so that we have a blind spot requiring a bit of brain to spend its time inventing what we believe we can see in that spot? Why did this creator give octopus' an eye that has the optic nerve behind the retina so they don't have a blind spot?

It seems a remarkably strange thing to do and as a cyclist and motorcyclist who regularly runs the risk of being killed thanks to this wiring issue it seems a bloody stupid thing to do ...

Mr

over a year ago

Swansea

"I find the notion of a soul dubious.

But conscience, that's interesting."

Aside from the word you use, what is the difference? What makes one dubious and the other interesting?

Mr

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I'd say an 8, I definitely believe in spirit, past lives etc.

over a year ago

"I find the notion of a soul dubious.

But conscience, that's interesting.

Aside from the word you use, what is the difference? What makes one dubious and the other interesting?

Mr"

Well conscience is definitely a thing for a start.

The thing I'm most interested in about it is a bit off topic though in that I wonder if technology will eventually develop conscience or even permit the preservation of a human's. Then there's stuff about the potential for collective conscience, arguably something the internet is facilitating etc. etc.

To bring that back on topic my scifi question would be whether future collective thinking/conscience might enable a level of intelligence that allows us to understand things beyond our capability as individuals.

This assumes the zombies don't get us first.

By *oungstuddMan
over a year ago

cardiff

[Removed by poster at 05/01/22 08:00:40]

over a year ago

I don't think that there's a coherent definition of spirituality, it seems like woo to me.

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I’m definitely a zero, I’m a mixture of electrical impulses and chemical reactions, consciousness is an evolutionary strategy.

over a year ago

A good 8, maybe even a 9. My take on being spiritual is having an awareness and a connection to the world around us. That can be people, nature or the wider universe. Nothing at all to do with religion which is just a control mechanism devised by man. I believe in souls, not just arseholes. My evolved cynicism, based on my experiences, prevents me from getting to 10.

over a year ago

I’d say I’m around a 7 but I’d like to be higher. My best friend is definitely a 10. She always talks about the 3D and the 5D.

I believe in energies and that we can pick up on peoples energies. It’s the reason why sometimes when you meet new people you can take instant dislikes to them but not know why.

Also believe we’re all connected.

I do a thing when I ask my higher self or spirit or source to help me (I use spirit). I ssk spirit to help me find things in the house and then thank it when I find what I’m looking for. I ask spirit to take things from my mind if a thought is too much or weighing me down.

over a year ago

"I'm maybe an 8.

Peace

Why did the creator give us an eye that has the optic nerve passing through the retina so that we have a blind spot requiring a bit of brain to spend its time inventing what we believe we can see in that spot? Why did this creator give octopus' an eye that has the optic nerve behind the retina so they don't have a blind spot?

It seems a remarkably strange thing to do and as a cyclist and motorcyclist who regularly runs the risk of being killed thanks to this wiring issue it seems a bloody stupid thing to do ...

Mr"

Cheers Mr Blindspot.

Carry on.

Moan is all we do.

Ever heard or used a word called " thankfull"

Lol

over a year ago

Even reading this fascinates me.

We’re all the same, humans who are born and we will die, yet we all believe different things.

A further question, if you thought you could choose (your spirit lives on or ‘that’s it, there’s nothing) what would you choose?

over a year ago

10 and I help people change there life on Tik tok aswell now https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLUb12eE/

over a year ago

In this life just be kind , it's greed that has this World as it is , just be kind .

over a year ago

"10 and I help people change there life on Tik tok aswell now https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLUb12eE/"

Haha….everyone take note- I am not affiliated with this man or TikTok

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"0

Total atheist. No spiritual feelings or beliefs whatsoever. Also no belief in ghosts, superstitions or Star signs.

I do believe while we are here we should do the best we can for ourselves and others, and leave it a better world for having had us in it. And enjoy ourselves.

Once dead I believe it'll be exactly as it was before we were born. Infinite nothingness we have no awareness of. "

I feel this same exact way word by word

over a year ago

I consider myself spiritual. I have no idea why we're here, if there's a reason, what happens after.

I feel there is a connection between all things, a big energy that is constantly re despersed. I like feeling there is something I don't quite understand and I'm happy not to, just to be

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

10 x

over a year ago

Depends if I’ve taken any mushrooms or not

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

1. My ginger boyfriend stole my soul. I'm now just an empty vessel.

over a year ago

"Depends if I’ve taken any mushrooms or not"

OOOOOO nice

over a year ago

"0

Once dead I believe it'll be exactly as it was before we were born. Infinite nothingness we have no awareness of.

I feel this same exact way word by word "

Maybe you 2 are connected in some way…

over a year ago

"Depends if I’ve taken any mushrooms or not"

The Native American way.

over a year ago

"1. My ginger boyfriend stole my soul. I'm now just an empty vessel. "

Sounds like a lyric to a song ??

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"1. My ginger boyfriend stole my soul. I'm now just an empty vessel.

Sounds like a lyric to a song ??"

No, I'm just a poet and I didn't know it

over a year ago

"

I feel there is a connection between all things, a big energy that is constantly re despersed. I like feeling there is something I don't quite understand and I'm happy not to, just to be"

I like to think about it all and try to figure it out. The bits I’m not sure about, I think about it all and find I’m sad.

But the bits I am sure of, what I believe and feel make me more than happy to make my life feel worthwhile.

over a year ago

"1. My ginger boyfriend stole my soul. I'm now just an empty vessel.

Sounds like a lyric to a song ??

No, I'm just a poet and I didn't know it "

Oh dear! …. I’ll stop this here.

By *eads_or_tailsMan
over a year ago

London

Practicing agnostic: I try out the odd technique, dogma or ritual from all over the place to see what happens, but gently rest on “it’s all in the mind” as my first point of departure.

The more I try out, the less it looks like it’s all in my mind. Tarot is spookily on-point. It very rarely gives nonsense. Ask it “will it rain tomorrow” and it’s more likely to say “Tower” (everything comes tumbling down) than it is “9 of Discs” (you reap what you sow). From this, I infer that

the universe is plural and you pick a path to experience (a multiple worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics), or that my subconscious keeps track of where all the cards lie in the deck and makes good guesses, or that there is some organising force (or forces) you can ask for help. For me, the main thing is to keep at least one foot in the touchable, smellable materiality and one eye on the beyond.

By *r laidbackMan
over a year ago

London & New Brighton

This is a deep question for this site but i like it.

I would class myself to be a 9, every person has a soul, a inner consciousness that gives you a want for more understanding off the world, people and everything on it, what happens to the soul after the body dies... thats a whole different question, do we have a spirit, definitely yes, i look at it like this.. i use to have a monkey hand puppet that i would entertain my son with, the memories to this day are with him, all the jokes, the need for him to eat his veg that was monkeys job, his friend was there for him. The reality was it was my hand up a monkeys ass all the jokes and the fun was really me, obviously he knows that now the point of the story is, it does not matter if you believe in any one thing, if it make you happy, it makes you a better person in life. Wow that my deepness allowance used up.

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

0, I have no problem with others faith but I do have issues with organised religion as as far as I can see it's mostly about control either overtly or subtly

over a year ago

"This is a deep question for this site but i like it.

I would class myself to be a 9, every person has a soul, a inner consciousness that gives you a want for more understanding off the world, people and everything on it, what happens to the soul after the body dies... thats a whole different question, do we have a spirit, definitely yes, i look at it like this.. i use to have a monkey hand puppet that i would entertain my son with, the memories to this day are with him, all the jokes, the need for him to eat his veg that was monkeys job, his friend was there for him. The reality was it was my hand up a monkeys ass all the jokes and the fun was really me, obviously he knows that now the point of the story is, it does not matter if you believe in any one thing, if it make you happy, it makes you a better person in life. Wow that my deepness allowance used up."

I was ‘feeling’ alsorts when I first posted this thread ( similar to how I feel now) I’m glad it grabbed some peoples attention. I like involved answers like your own. Thanks for sharing your thought to this.

over a year ago

"0, I have no problem with others faith but I do have issues with organised religion as as far as I can see it's mostly about control either overtly or subtly"

Don’t get me started on organised religions.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Not very. I like the idea of all that kinds of shit.

Spiritual, Supernatural, fate, destiny etc but my brain is often far too logical and over thinking to be able to settle down as such.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

Been very spiritual all my life, raised that way and got more so as I've aged.

Things have happened to me which leave me in no question about my beliefs.

over a year ago

40° proof

By *trideMan
over a year ago

Plymouth

2, but not in any spiritual sense. Sometimes, some of us can access information in ways that are scientifically inexplicable, e.g. water divining, distance communications between twins, etc.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'm very Athiest but respect others beliefs.

This time is our one and only chance, so you should make the most of it.

Enjoy life but be a decent person as well.

The closest I get to spirituality is the uplifting feeling of music and beautiful landscapes.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

Right now I'm very spiritual, and the spirit I've got round my lips at the moment is a Glen Morangie with ice, before I sit down to dinner.

Post new Message to Thread