Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wild camping

Jump to newest

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Recently moved to a more rural area and thought I'd gove wild camping a go. Absolutely loved it! So peaceful. Especially great when in a dark zone as you can get some great photos.

Just wondering what your thoughts on wild camping are? Or whether anyone has any advice on the best places to do it

Thanks in advance

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Recently moved to a more rural area and thought I'd gove wild camping a go. Absolutely loved it! So peaceful. Especially great when in a dark zone as you can get some great photos.

Just wondering what your thoughts on wild camping are? Or whether anyone has any advice on the best places to do it

Thanks in advance"

may a bit cold just now for that?

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Recently moved to a more rural area and thought I'd gove wild camping a go. Absolutely loved it! So peaceful. Especially great when in a dark zone as you can get some great photos.

Thanks in advance

may a bit cold just now for that? "

Oh yeah won't be going again until at least April. Especially not where I am, rains most days even in summer

over a year ago

Love it. Just remember the golden principal of 'Leave no trace' and pitch late and out of site

Am hoping to do more of it this year and maybe some wild swimming. The solitude of wild camping for me far out weighs any discomfort.

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

I love it. Somewhere quiet and remote. Stars and nature. It’s amazing.

My biggest tip would be - be realistic. What you can “manage” to carry isn’t the same as what you want to be carrying. One pot meals that just need boiling water added are best.

Take extra tent pegs, extra socks, an extra hat and test your tent out. Finding out that it’s great in heavy rain, but really shit in light rain and high winds is not something to discover 5 miles from your car or the train station.

over a year ago

I havnt got as far as wild camping but have done off grid campsites. I would love to do it properly one day though.

over a year ago

Wild camping us great. Find the right spot and you can have great outdoor sex and naked sunbathing. Can t wait to go again.

By *ikeafud248Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

Used to do alot in Southern Africa, under the open sky, in summer months....best miss it alot.

By *ear in the chairMan
over a year ago

Godstone

On my agenda to do this year, some with the Mrs (summer months), some with a friend and some solo (winter most likely)

over a year ago

This is something I really want to do!

By *egoMan
over a year ago

Preston

Scotland, England it’s trespassing…

Generally not advised to go alone, but I get it.

Pack only what you need, do you actually need a tent or can you just use a basha, and have your bag in a bivi. You can drink the water, streams etc. I’d still boil it though. Maybe learn some foraging, appropriate for season. But pack enough food for your trip.

Stick to places near running water, I usually like features like woodland. Have a map. If you’re on open moors, you’ll need a compass.

Make a route map with escapes and rough times. Give a copy to a friend. Know basic first aid and have suitable gear to fix/strap yourself. Waterproof everything and carry some spare bin bags and I always have duck tape.

Midge nets, make sure it doesn’t touch the skin, or it’s pointless. Insect repellent just doesn’t work and makes you sticky and taste nasty to your self. The coils are ok in an enclosed area with no wind at your base.

Train to Glasgow then another train to any ruralish station, walk off into the wilderness.

Have fun and leave no trace

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Love wildcamping been going with a few guys off the Facebook wild-camping forum for a few years now in the U.K. and abroad but U.K. is far better

Doing my first of 2022 on the 8th Jan, already packed , Single hoop bivi, exped down-mat, 3 seasons down bag, jet boil, aeropress,

Its very high up and a 3-4 hour walk through mud and snow with just a 41% crescent moon for light and off track to a cave we found a few years ago . Astro twilight starts at 6:08 next morning and will walking back then as I have a flight to catch in the afternoon , so literally a 5 hour nap at the summit

over a year ago

I go wild camping up Rivington near me. Started last year bought myself a hammock with a mosquito net in it to keep the creepy crawlies out. I take bog roll , fire lighters, a lighter obviously, a newspaper a bag of spuds and tinfoil for the jacket spuds. Tin of stag chilli , butter salt paper plate as you can burn it when you finished. And a bottle of water . That's all you need

over a year ago

"I love it. Somewhere quiet and remote. Stars and nature. It’s amazing.

My biggest tip would be - be realistic. What you can “manage” to carry isn’t the same as what you want to be carrying. One pot meals that just need boiling water added are best.

Take extra tent pegs, extra socks, an extra hat and test your tent out. Finding out that it’s great in heavy rain, but really shit in light rain and high winds is not something to discover 5 miles from your car or the train station. "

Voice of experience

over a year ago

Dry your own meals. Make a normal meal then stick on a baking tray in an oven on low temperature and wait until dries out.

Put in vacuum seal bag.

To rehydrate just add boiling water and let soak, then eat.

over a year ago

This actually sounds like heaven to me

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Dry your own meals. Make a normal meal then stick on a baking tray in an oven on low temperature and wait until dries out.

Put in vacuum seal bag.

To rehydrate just add boiling water and let soak, then eat."

I tend to take pre boiled rice and a home made chilli, in zip bags, a jet boil heats it in 30-60 seconds. Add a bottle of red it’s perfect

over a year ago

"Dry your own meals. Make a normal meal then stick on a baking tray in an oven on low temperature and wait until dries out.

Put in vacuum seal bag.

I tend to take pre boiled rice and a home made chilli, in zip bags, a jet boil heats it in 30-60 seconds. Add a bottle of red it’s perfect "

Yeah that's even quicker.

I like making up the meals at this time of year though. Gives you something to look forward to and great to pick up a few lightweight meals to take for longer trips when it comes to using them.

Also good way of using leftovers.

over a year ago

Do your research before you go.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/wild-camping-in-the-lake-district

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Take extra tent pegs, extra socks, an extra hat and test your tent out. Finding out that it’s great in heavy rain, but really shit in light rain and high winds is not something to discover 5 miles from your car or the train station.

Voice of experience "

A tent ?

You can only really learn by experience , the kit I take now , 8kg in a 40ltr pack is very different from when I started out. Down matts are essential in winter to keep warm

but expensive , single hoop bivi can go down anywhere on rocks, beaches, snow and mud, forget cooking on Trangia even with wind protection it’s too slow; Jetboil is superfast

over a year ago

Put in vacuum seal bag.

What sort of meals would you do this with. Egg and chips might not reanimate

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Put in vacuum seal bag.

I tend to take pre boiled rice and a home made chilli, in zip bags, a jet boil heats it in 30-60 seconds. Add a bottle of red it’s perfect

Yeah that's even quicker.

I like making up the meals at this time of year though. Gives you something to look forward to and great to pick up a few lightweight meals to take for longer trips when it comes to using them.

Also good way of using leftovers."

That’s funny, most our conversations a week before a camp are about the food. We’re all cooks too so all want to make the meal

By *laymates7Woman
over a year ago

Isle of Wight

I camped all over Scottish highlands years ago, I’d LOVE to do it again. But I will say.... the midges will win every time.

over a year ago

Put in vacuum seal bag.

What sort of meals would you do this with. Egg and chips might not reanimate "

Well it would, but maybe not how you'd like

I do mostly curries, pastas, risottos. It's basically just a cheaper homemade alternative to the dried camping meals a lot of people use.

over a year ago

Put in vacuum seal bag.

What sort of meals would you do this with. Egg and chips might not reanimate

Well it would, but maybe not how you'd like

I do mostly curries, pastas, risottos. It's basically just a cheaper homemade alternative to the dried camping meals a lot of people use."

I might practise this

over a year ago

"Scotland, England it’s trespassing…

Pack only what you need, do you actually need a tent or can you just use a basha, and have your bag in a bivi. You can drink the water, streams etc. I’d still boil it though. Maybe learn some foraging, appropriate for season. But pack enough food for your trip.

Stick to places near running water, I usually like features like woodland. Have a map. If you’re on open moors, you’ll need a compass.

Make a route map with escapes and rough times. Give a copy to a friend. Know basic first aid and have suitable gear to fix/strap yourself. Waterproof everything and carry some spare bin bags and I always have duck tape.

Midge nets, make sure it doesn’t touch the skin, or it’s pointless. Insect repellent just doesn’t work and makes you sticky and taste nasty to your self. The coils are ok in an enclosed area with no wind at your base.

Train to Glasgow then another train to any ruralish station, walk off into the wilderness.

Have fun and leave no trace "

sounds ideal advice

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 02/01/22 23:17:16]

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I camped all over Scottish highlands years ago, I’d LOVE to do it again. But I will say.... the midges will win every time. "

It’s such a shame isn’t it , I did my friends final munroe a few years ago, near the remote station out of trainspotting , beautiful area but midges really put me off walking in Scotland ever again

over a year ago

I’m not sure. I like my home comforts. However I think it could be very romantic with the right person

By *laymates7Woman
over a year ago

Isle of Wight

"I camped all over Scottish highlands years ago, I’d LOVE to do it again. But I will say.... the midges will win every time.

It’s such a shame isn’t it , I did my friends final munroe a few years ago, near the remote station out of trainspotting , beautiful area but midges really put me off walking in Scotland ever again "

One trip I did was a late night arrival in mid August somewhere on Loch Lomond, 3 hours sleep then was woken by my skin on fire from midge bites. Never went in August again.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Yeah I've heard so many bad things about the midges! Mosquitoes love me as well.so guessing midges would be the same.

I know it's not legal to wild camp but when trekking I've seen loads of people doing it. Even asked a few people at the advice centres and they said as long as you leave no trace....

Think it would be awesome to incorporate swinging but with the beauty of the night skies and wilderness I'd be OK.

So far I've got most the kit, ultralight tent, inflatable matt, cooking kit, loadsa good recipes, all waterproofs, GPS, satellite communicator, midges repellent, torches and a few other things I've prob forgot. Can't wait for the summer now!

Thanks for all the advice btw

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Put in vacuum seal bag.

Not sure I would go for dehydrating my food. I'm quite tall so can easily carry a 65l with room to take enough food to cook up a couple of meals. Great idea though! Would definitely consider it if I was away for a long time

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Put in vacuum seal bag.

I tend to take pre boiled rice and a home made chilli, in zip bags, a jet boil heats it in 30-60 seconds. Add a bottle of red it’s perfect "

Wow the jet boil looks ace! Going straight in the basket

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I’m not sure. I like my home comforts. However I think it could be very romantic with the right person "

You'd soon forget home comforts when it's so peaceful and beautiful. Plus as you say if you spend it with the right person it is incredibly romantic

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I havnt got as far as wild camping but have done off grid campsites. I would love to do it properly one day though. "

Yeah do it. Quite expensive to get set up but once you're done free holidays wherever or whenever

By *rgasmdonorMan
over a year ago

millstreet

why take food take a rifle and shoot rabbits it makes it so much more like you are off grid

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Scotland, England it’s trespassing…

Have fun and leave no trace "

Yeah overpacking is definitely something I could be guilty of. I opt for comfort so a tent and inflatable matt are essential.

I got a hydration straw and proper water filter. Got maps, compass, garmin GPS and satellite for emergencies.

Think a friend to go with would be amazing but find it hard to find someone who's up for it and at this age the free time can be a problem. Why I find it better not to rely on anyone.

Thanks for the advice! Scotland is definitely on my list! Got loads of friends there so hopefully do the North Coast this summer

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

I've done heaps around the mountains of North Wales, the Ogwen Valley is something special anytime of year, try Llyn Idwal.

Also the Cairngorms in Scotland if you like it real wild

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

The Yorkshire Dales - Gaping Gill is one of my favourites due to the amount of stars I seen - it was incredible.

I’ve wild camped at a number of places in The Lakes and Wales. Being immersed in nature and some of the views of sunsets or sunrises have been priceless

K

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

A water bottle filled with gin, lime and tonic, mixing during the walk.

My jet boil ready to cook my food as soon as I’ve pitched my tent.

Then sit and watch the sunset and just be

K

over a year ago

Learn how to use the map and compass.

GPS.

Get the 3 words app in case you need an ambulance.

I'd carry a stove or mini fire dragon stove over the idea I'm going to Ray Mears fires.

I also always carry a thermos, steel canteen and cup.

Past a bivi bag, gonk bag, roll mat and basha everything else is luxury.

And if you do go with a basha tie the bungies on or use pliers to bend the hooks round so you don't loose em round the woods.

By *igDMBMan
over a year ago

romford

Hello, I’m late to the party.

If I go wild camping, I take only the basics.

A lighter, (always 3)

Sleeping bag,

Two tarpaulins, one for the ground sheet, the other to string up above for shelter until I build my shelter.

I sharp knife.

A weighted machete, for chopping wood.

A good army grade folding spade.

A water purifier.

A mess tin & pot.

Heaviest item I take is a wood burning camping stove.

By *enry250Man
over a year ago

spalding

I go wild camping all the time is great for stress relief

By *aughtiness69Couple
over a year ago

Kinmel bay

"Hello, I’m late to the party.

A lighter, (always 3)

Sleeping bag,

Two tarpaulins, one for the ground sheet, the other to string up above for shelter until I build my shelter.

I sharp knife.

A water purifier.

A mess tin & pot.

Heaviest item I take is a wood burning camping stove."

2 is 1

1 is none

Only thing I'd swap is machete for a small hatchet axe. More use imo

over a year ago

Absolutely love wild camping, either hiking or canoeing. And winter is my favourite season for it; less people, less midges, more snow! As long as you have good equipment, know how to use it, or go with someone who does, then it's great! I'll be in the Lakes this week...

over a year ago

I went wild beach camping three times during the summer.

Each time I had the place to myself.

By *acquesCustardMan
over a year ago

Around and about

I wild camp, mainly when on kayak trips. Main rule, leave your site as you found it. Others should never know you had been there.

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

I have been stealth/wild camping for many years and have recently purchased a few acres of my own woodland. Since I have installed a composting loo in my woods what does this become, wild glamping?

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Take extra tent pegs, extra socks, an extra hat and test your tent out. Finding out that it’s great in heavy rain, but really shit in light rain and high winds is not something to discover 5 miles from your car or the train station. "

This is the voice of experience for sure!

By * little bit naughtyCouple
over a year ago

Bedford

We’ve had some great times wild camping.

Can’t wait to go again!

over a year ago

"I camped all over Scottish highlands years ago, I’d LOVE to do it again. But I will say.... the midges will win every time.

It’s such a shame isn’t it , I did my friends final munroe a few years ago, near the remote station out of trainspotting , beautiful area but midges really put me off walking in Scotland ever again "

Go in April/May before they start. Often get good weather at that time of year, the gorse is all in flower, still snow on the higher mountains. Scotland at its most beautiful.

For the OP. Most important thing is leave no trace. That means no camp fire. Bury any poo well away from water sources- don't just cover it, sone dogs love to find it and roll in it which trust me is absolutely disgusting to deal with. If you can't do this carry it out. Carry out all litter including loo roll - remember you carried all this stuff in so it's no problem to carry it back. Pitch late, strike early - you're not the only person who wants to be enjoy the solitude and there's nothing like walking through a campsite to run the feeling of wildness for others. Basically be respectful.

Mr

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I've done heaps around the mountains of North Wales, the Ogwen Valley is something special anytime of year, try Llyn Idwal.

Also the Cairngorms in Scotland if you like it real wild "

Thanks! Not been to either so will have to check them out

over a year ago

Put in vacuum seal bag.

Not sure I would go for dehydrating my food. I'm quite tall so can easily carry a 65l with room to take enough food to cook up a couple of meals. Great idea though! Would definitely consider it if I was away for a long time"

It's not just carrying stuff. It's also about how much fath you want when you arrive. If you're only walking a short way and plan to set up camp for the day then food prep is fine but if you're pitching up late and leaving early as with most wild camping the simpler and quicker it is to make your meals the better plus of course less rubbish to take back.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"A water bottle filled with gin, lime and tonic, mixing during the walk.

My jet boil ready to cook my food as soon as I’ve pitched my tent.

Then sit and watch the sunset and just be

K"

Ahh this sounds perfect. Can't wait for it to warm a bit.

You're tge second person who has said the jetboil now a d the reviews are great... going to have to get one

By *omerset1976Man
over a year ago

Burnham

Never done this but certainly want to.

Have most of the gear I think… maybe if someone fancies me tagging along on their next trip?

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Hello, I’m late to the party.

A lighter, (always 3)

Sleeping bag,

I sharp knife.

A water purifier.

A mess tin & pot.

Heaviest item I take is a wood burning camping stove."

Got most of these but a folding spade and machete are definitely getting added to the list! Great advice

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

It’s such a shame isn’t it , I did my friends final munroe a few years ago, near the remote station out of trainspotting , beautiful area but midges really put me off walking in Scotland ever again

Go in April/May before they start. Often get good weather at that time of year, the gorse is all in flower, still snow on the higher mountains. Scotland at its most beautiful.

For the OP. Most important thing is leave no trace. That means no camp fire. Bury any poo well away from water sources- don't just cover it, sone dogs love to find it and roll in it which trust me is absolutely disgusting to deal with. If you can't do this carry it out. Carry out all litter including loo roll - remember you carried all this stuff in so it's no problem to carry it back. Pitch late, strike early - you're not the only person who wants to be enjoy the solitude and there's nothing like walking through a campsite to run the feeling of wildness for others. Basically be respectful.

Mr"

Yeah think Scotland will.have to be done before I'd get season. Hopefully weather will be good in April.

Yeah I always follow the leave no trace code. Do you guys all just elevate any fires or cooking equipment to not scorch the ground?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Sounds good o/p. If you are into astronomy find a place without much light 'pollution' and check out the heavens. Winter is best time as there is less evening heat haze.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Put in vacuum seal bag.

Not sure I would go for dehydrating my food. I'm quite tall so can easily carry a 65l with room to take enough food to cook up a couple of meals. Great idea though! Would definitely consider it if I was away for a long time

It's not just carrying stuff. It's also about how much fath you want when you arrive. If you're only walking a short way and plan to set up camp for the day then food prep is fine but if you're pitching up late and leaving early as with most wild camping the simpler and quicker it is to make your meals the better plus of course less rubbish to take back."

Yeah I guess it depends on whether you want comfort or to make progress. I mainly go for photos so let the aesthetics of the landscape dictate where I go. So it's more about fi ding a nice spot and waiting for the right lighting. I've never tried dehydrated meals though so would be a great way to save room in my bag for my kit

By *exySquirrelsCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Some friends and I kayaked from Fort William to Inverness and we wild camped at the side of the lochs. An amazing experience and a lovely part of the UK

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Sounds good o/p. If you are into astronomy find a place without much light 'pollution' and check out the heavens. Winter is best time as there is less evening heat haze."

I love a starry sky so yeah try to get away from light pollution. Thankfully, I live in a dark zone so you get the best night skies 5 minutes from my house

over a year ago

Hopefully get a chance to do this with my FWB once it warms up a little

over a year ago

Mr

Yeah think Scotland will.have to be done before I'd get season. Hopefully weather will be good in April.

Yeah I always follow the leave no trace code. Do you guys all just elevate any fires or cooking equipment to not scorch the ground? "

Most stoves won't scorch anything, if its a concern then yes, absolutely.

Fires are really not a good idea for lots of reasons. There is the obvious risk of wild fire. Then you're burning what is a habitat for a lot of creatures and maybe in in short supply, you leave an unsightly mess that can take years to disappear and encourage others to do the same. Many popular spots have numerous burn rings dotted around and no dead wood within hundreds of meters - dead wood that provides homes and food for numerous species. Remember it's not just you, but possibly many many others doing the same, what would be OK and sustainable for one or two isn't for hundreds and that needs to be considered in your choices.

Beaches are better for fires - especially below the high tide line (on a day with plenty of time or a low tidal range) as these get washed clean by the next tide and the drift wood is regularly replaced. Still make sure the fire is out and the sand under it has been dug up and spread as it can retain enough heat to badly burn someone for a long time after you have left.

If you really must have a fire, and it's safe to do, plan how you're going to hide it before you light the thing. It is really hard to hide the evidence of a fire from even casual observation and if you can't do that then don't have one. Little Wood burning stoves or fire baskets are realistically the only options and even these need to be sited carefully- a sheet of foil underneath with an air gap between it and the grass makes a huge difference too.

Mr

over a year ago

I mostly use an alcohol stove which sits off the ground. I have a small titanium wood stove that folds down but rarely use it. It's more of a backup. If using just dig a small hole. That provides a bit of wind shelter and then you can easily cover over any ashes when you leave.

over a year ago

Put in vacuum seal bag.

It's not just carrying stuff. It's also about how much fath you want when you arrive. If you're only walking a short way and plan to set up camp for the day then food prep is fine but if you're pitching up late and leaving early as with most wild camping the simpler and quicker it is to make your meals the better plus of course less rubbish to take back.

Yeah I guess it depends on whether you want comfort or to make progress. I mainly go for photos so let the aesthetics of the landscape dictate where I go. So it's more about fi ding a nice spot and waiting for the right lighting. I've never tried dehydrated meals though so would be a great way to save room in my bag for my kit"

Pot noodles or ramen in zip lock bags.

You can get 24 hour ration packs quite cheep as surplus too.

Just break em down and bag up what you want too take.

By *acquesCustardMan
over a year ago

Around and about

"Sounds good o/p. If you are into astronomy find a place without much light 'pollution' and check out the heavens. Winter is best time as there is less evening heat haze."

Absolutely this, I have been lucky enough to wild camp out in Kazakhstan. Nearest villages 30+ miles away, nearest small town 100+, absolutely no light pollution and have to say the night sky was jaw droppingly beautiful. I just can't describe it...

By *offee27Man
over a year ago

Wiltshire

Love wild camping, lucky I know a few places I can walk or bus to. Best stress relief and escape from reality

over a year ago

I do distance walks on the national trails in the uk. Mostly I use camp sites in order to get clean and resupply. But occasionally stop along the routes and find a spot to overnight. It's very trendy for younger folk now, and in the summer you find quite large encampments of the youth in well known spots. Like angle tarn on the coast to coast.

But I think if I found a truly special place for me, I'd be unlikely to share it.

By *illiam101000Man
over a year ago

Melton Mowbray

Love the idea of completely wild camping but it's the no toilets when no2s come along that puts me off. Always loved camping but I always like a proper toilet too. The more de commercialised a camp site is the better though.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Had a nice camp at oyster clough cabin a few nights ago, someone even left us a few beers and candles from NYE

By *oody HuddsonMan
over a year ago

sexy town

Thanks in advance"

I love the mountains for a wild camp. The more remote the better. A tarn is also good for a skinny dip on sunny or warm night.

Best tip. Fork out heavily on a good insulated sleeping mat. Oh and don’t overdress in winter months in your sleeping bag. It may well be a lot colder than sleeping naked.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Thanks in advance

I love the mountains for a wild camp. The more remote the better. A tarn is also good for a skinny dip on sunny or warm night.

Best tip. Fork out heavily on a good insulated sleeping mat. Oh and don’t overdress in winter months in your sleeping bag. It may well be a lot colder than sleeping naked. "

Very good advice. My exped downmat is the best investment I ever made. I was at the summit of Cadair idris on NYE, it was minus 16 I was sleeping on ice, and it blocked the cold completely Exped repair them

for life too at no charge

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Thanks in advance

Best tip. Fork out heavily on a good insulated sleeping mat. Oh and don’t overdress in winter months in your sleeping bag. It may well be a lot colder than sleeping naked.

Very good advice. My exped downmat is the best investment I ever made. I was at the summit of Cadair idris on NYE, it was minus 16 I was sleeping on ice, and it blocked the cold completely Exped repair them

for life too at no charge "

Thanks for the advice! I'd already been told the importance of getting a good mat. The one that I have definitely doesn't do the job so have a thermarest neoair on my list. Pricey at £200 but highly recommended. Got so much I need to upgrade though

By *h_yes_please!Man
over a year ago

North Devon

I second an earlier comment. When you leave, turn around and check. There should be no evidence that you were ever there. Please!

over a year ago

I’ve been fantasising hiking from lands end to John i groats (LeJog) in the summer.

One man tent and wild camping.

Great ideas in this thread!

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I’ve been fantasising hiking from lands end to John i groats (LeJog) in the summer.

Great ideas in this thread! "

I know someone who cycled it , with panniers and wild camping kit. Hiking would be a huge trip … go for it !

over a year ago

"I’ve been fantasising hiking from lands end to John i groats (LeJog) in the summer.

Great ideas in this thread!

I know someone who cycled it , with panniers and wild camping kit. Hiking would be a huge trip … go for it ! "

There’s a great YouTube video of a young lad that hiked JOGLE. Epic journey. I think it took him a couple of months. He did stay in a couple of cheap hotels now and again to shower and recharge his drone and camera.

Cycling this would be awesome too.

By *hongman1Man
over a year ago

Mansfield

Really got into the idea of wild camping recently. I’ve always camped since being in Cubs & Scouts but never managed wild.

I think it can be tough but made easier with the right advice and equipment. And as others have said, can be made even better going with the right people.

Would anyone be interested in joining a Telegram group if I set one up?

Post new Message to Thread