Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wine

Jump to newest

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I’ll admit that I’m a complete philistine when it comes to wines.

If I were to enter a posh restaurant and order a bottle of Cherry Lambrini, I’m presuming that I’d receive some decidedly filthy looks from the upper echelon patrons though, right?

Anyhoo, what is your personal favourite wine and how much are you willing to spend on a bottle?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I’ll admit that I’m a complete philistine when it comes to wines.

If I were to enter a posh restaurant and order a bottle of Cherry Lambrini, I’m presuming that I’d receive some decidedly filthy looks from the upper echelon patrons though, right?

Anyhoo, what is your personal favourite wine and how much are you willing to spend on a bottle? "

Lambrini is for the kids in the park ! haha

over a year ago

Cheapest house grog for me.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I’m not a drinker of wine but I’ll spend about £10 - £15 if taking some to a dinner ??

I quite like a Malbec.

over a year ago

No a wine snob here but I do like certain things. More of a red fan, though I can be swayed by a nice Pinot Grigio or Viognier.

My recent discovery was Valpolicella Ripasso from Morrisons.. for .. drum roll.. 8 pounds ! Bargain. And so flavoursome.

Ps. Prosecco rules.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Love red wine! Any cheap middle or expensive I'm easy though think a malbec my fave not really into white or rose but again will drink it x

By *teve PicklerMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

Most Italian reds or South African Sauvignon Blanc for me.

over a year ago

Liebfraumilch, German white wine, cheap as chips and tasty

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We used to buy some very nice wine in Tesco for about £3:99 o can't remember the name. We also went to a wedding recently where they served a gorgeous pink sparkling wine, everyone was asking what it was. It was £2:99 a bottle from Aldi.

Having said that we once drank an extremely expensive bottle of white wine and you could tell the difference.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Depends what you like and your own palette. I like red. A cheaper white can be drinkable if well chilled but red is different and always best to pay a little extra for a better one. For example, you can't go wrong with a nice Barolo. It varies in price considerably but Morisons have a good one on offer at the moment for £14. Other supermarkets have similar ones. There are also some good malbec ones out there as someone already mentioned. I also like a good rioja but has to be at the higher end. Having said all that, I often had some fantastic house wine at a fraction of the price and always good checking that out. Most good restaurants will let you try it to see if its for you.

By *eardedman7Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

I’m really liking 19 crimes at the moment but I do have a soft spot for chateauneuf du pap

over a year ago

"We used to buy some very nice wine in Tesco for about £3:99 o can't remember the name. We also went to a wedding recently where they served a gorgeous pink sparkling wine, everyone was asking what it was. It was £2:99 a bottle from Aldi.

Having said that we once drank an extremely expensive bottle of white wine and you could tell the difference."

Aldi does good wine.

over a year ago

"I’m really liking 19 crimes at the moment but I do have a soft spot for chateauneuf du pap"

Crimes is good and the novelty bottles also!!

over a year ago

I prefer Asti Spumante to champagne

I like white wines that lack character and mix well with lemonade

An eatery in town used to serve red wine mixed with cranberry juice and soda water

That was tasty too

Yup, another Philistine here

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I used to guzzle reds . But much prefer a white now and at room temperature. Oh yes.

Our old french restaurant manager reckoned Waitrose £20 plus and you’ll get good wines.

over a year ago

"We used to buy some very nice wine in Tesco for about £3:99 o can't remember the name. We also went to a wedding recently where they served a gorgeous pink sparkling wine, everyone was asking what it was. It was £2:99 a bottle from Aldi.

Having said that we once drank an extremely expensive bottle of white wine and you could tell the difference."

Aldi do a snide Mateus rose, that's lovely when chilled

over a year ago

"Love red wine! Any cheap middle or expensive I'm easy though think a malbec my fave not really into white or rose but again will drink it x"

Aldi do a nice Malbec x

By *rangesmartieWoman
over a year ago

Devon

Anyhoo, what is your personal favourite wine and how much are you willing to spend on a bottle? "

Cherry lambrini is my absolute favourite! But haven't been able to find it for a couple of years

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Having said that we once drank an extremely expensive bottle of white wine and you could tell the difference.

Aldi do a snide Mateus rose, that's lovely when chilled "

Mateus rosé! Blimey I haven't thought of that for a while, I used to love it.

over a year ago

"

You can still get it

Get Mr N down Tesco to get a bottle in for tomorrow night

By *exandthesuburbans83Couple
over a year ago

EASTBOURNE

Red, cant go wrong with a house malbec if you want to try a wine and not break the bank. 8 pound and you will get a decent enough bottle at home.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You can still get it

Get Mr N down Tesco to get a bottle in for tomorrow night "

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

¡¿«checks the time»?!

Awh man, I was resisting until this thread rocked up OP...

... too early to liberate some wine?

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I’m lucky to live in a great wine growing region of Italy, where all the Montepulciano D’Abbruzzo comes from, but there are a lot of other wines of the region that aren’t well know like Trebbiano, Passerina and Pecorino. So wine is inexpensive here, I just picked up four bottles earlier at the supermarket for six euros, and a litre of house wine in local restaurants tends to be about four or five euros, so I’m definitely spoiled in terms of good inexpensive wine.

over a year ago

I like Italian reds - barola, Valpolicella Ripasso + amarone. They are generally £11-23

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"¡¿«checks the time»?!

... too early to liberate some wine? "

Where alcohol is concerned follow my golden rule: If it’s after mid day, it’s all good

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Thank you so much for the recommendations so far everyone

I’m going to try them (in the interests of science you understand….of course)

Apparently, wine is very good in aiding digestion so I have read.

Medicinal to.

*hic*

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"I like Italian reds - barola, Valpolicella Ripasso + amarone. They are generally £11-23"

Depends where you’re drinking them!

over a year ago

"I like Italian reds - barola, Valpolicella Ripasso + amarone. They are generally £11-23

Depends where you’re drinking them! "

Sadly in the UK not laid under the barrel.. Hic don't even start with your olives. You can go off people you know

By *escourtesMan
over a year ago

hereford

"I like Italian reds - barola, Valpolicella Ripasso + amarone. They are generally £11-23"

Try Bardolino from Waitrose £8.50 light, fruity red.

By *eardedman7Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

"I’m really liking 19 crimes at the moment but I do have a soft spot for chateauneuf du pap

Crimes is good and the novelty bottles also!! "

Have downloaded the app?

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Ye Gods and Faecal Mass! - I’ve just read that the world’s most expensive wine is worth a staggering $500,000 a bottle(!!!)

over a year ago

I like white wine

By *escourtesMan
over a year ago

hereford

I'm currently drinking Archeres Carigan Pays d'herault red wine from Steins in Padstow its yum good price too!

over a year ago

"I like Italian reds - barola, Valpolicella Ripasso + amarone. They are generally £11-23

Try Bardolino from Waitrose £8.50 light, fruity red. "

Thank you, I'll check it out (hopefully its vegan!)

over a year ago

Chablis if white.

Rioja if red.

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

"¡¿«checks the time»?!

... too early to liberate some wine?

Where alcohol is concerned follow my golden rule: If it’s after mid day, it’s all good "

Loving the rule ...Conscious is clear then ... thanks OP

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

Valpolicella for pasta and red meat dishes.

White Rioja for chicken, pork and fish.

Cheers

over a year ago

I like red and white

I recently had a bottle of “Vina Sol” white wine which was delicious!

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I love Shiraz/ Syrah and they are not cheap unfortunately. But then I am thinking if I put a "poison" in my body it may as well be a half decent quality

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Valpolicella for pasta and red meat dishes.

Cheers "

Ah just saw this - I have red with chicken (let's face it "Coq au vin" is cooked in red wine.)

over a year ago

My fave is Marlborough sauvignon blanc and I've paid 25 for a bottle and yes, it was far superior than a supermarket bottle. But that's for special occasions. My every day choices are cheaper Marlborough at up to 9 quid and a californian rose for 4.89!!

Currently drinking pinot noir which was a gift.

over a year ago

"I’m really liking 19 crimes at the moment but I do have a soft spot for chateauneuf du pap"
this is my go to wine at the moment too!

over a year ago

I do like the 19 crimes uprising and banished the latter of which you can now get and it's been aged in rum barrels and the former infused with coffee. Usually around £9 and £10 a bottle respectively

By *ragaCouple
over a year ago

Salisbury

Italian Reds are excellent; Valpolicelli, Amaro Negro or our favorite a decent Primitivo..you can get good ones of all 3 for under a tenner

Alternative a decent Malbec deom Latin America is usually very nice

over a year ago

"I do like the 19 crimes uprising and banished the latter of which you can now get and it's been aged in rum barrels and the former infused with coffee. Usually around £9 and £10 a bottle respectively "

Love the banished once the most but didn’t like the rum one!

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

South American Malbec

over a year ago

A lovely Red Malbec is my favourite. I would spend probably at least £10 on a nice bottle or two on it x

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Laithwaites Black Stump is my fav wine at around £10-15 a bottle depending on year/reserve but I’m partial to Jam Shed at £6 bottle

Expensive doesn’t necessarily always taste great! you go with what you know you like or ask for a recommendation from a waiter/waitress or if you go really posh.. a sommelier

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

"Laithwaites Black Stump is my fav wine at around £10-15 a bottle depending on year/reserve but I’m partial to Jam Shed at £6 bottle

Expensive doesn’t necessarily always taste great! you go with what you know you like or ask for a recommendation from a waiter/waitress or if you go really posh.. a sommelier "

I’m really into Jam Shed Shiraz at the moment! Excellent value and very very tasty!

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

White: I like to go for a Sauvignon Blanc. Mud House, about around £10 is a fave.

Red: a bottle of Rioja, like Campo Riejo Reserva, again, around £10/bottle

Fizz: nothing beats Laurent Perrier Rose champagne. About £60/bottle and worth every drop. The white is pretty good too.

C

By *asques and boxersCouple
over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

Once was in a audience at a wine tasting and talk ran by Ossie Clarke who challenge everyone to name the best wine of event. Everyone had to mark each wine as it was tasted and at the end of he would announce the best wine.

He did and it has stayed with me.

The best wine is simply the one you like the most and can afford.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I've done wine tasting as part of my job and believe me, expensive does mean good!

C

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Prefer Italian to french if it’s expensive, but can’t go wrong these days with a cheap Malbec or a NZ Marlboro region white from the supermarket

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I've done wine tasting as part of my job and believe me, expensive does mean good!

C"

It really does not ! What you like has absolutely nothing to do with the price, the reserves for 40-50 here are a few euros on the south of France

By *ugardadcleanerMan
over a year ago

cirencester

I work in wine and spirits Barolo good love nebbiola actually any wine from £20

Cant understand why invited to lots [arties lol

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

"Valpolicella for pasta and red meat dishes.

Cheers

Ah just saw this - I have red with chicken (let's face it "Coq au vin" is cooked in red wine.) "

I should have also mentioned my penchant for German wines, and this years Christmas dinner was washed down with a Black Tower, which just happened to be on promotion at Morrison's two for a tenner. However, since the behaviour of the French towards this country, I won't have French wine in the house, and a few of us boycotting their Dordogne dish water, as well as cancelling orders for Renaults and Peugeots would soon have that lot creeping round us with their tails between frogs legs.

over a year ago

Right now I’m really digging Californian rieslings and will happily pay £30-£35 for my favourite from Castello Di Amorosa

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I like red and white

I recently had a bottle of “Vina Sol” white wine which was delicious!"

Although I mainly drink red, I agree that for the price is quite good and refreshing with a nice aroma. It used to be quite popular 5/10 years ago in spanish restaurants but not seen it much around these days.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

any domaine de la rominee-conti .... the finest i opened this christmas has been the grands-echezeaux '99

By *ajah5Man
over a year ago

ROMFORD

The best wine is the wine that you like to consume regularly regardless of cost.

It is true to say that for the more discerning palate the better quality wines are always more expensive.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Laithwaites Black Stump is my fav wine at around £10-15 a bottle depending on year/reserve but I’m partial to Jam Shed at £6 bottle

Expensive doesn’t necessarily always taste great! you go with what you know you like or ask for a recommendation from a waiter/waitress or if you go really posh.. a sommelier

I’m really into Jam Shed Shiraz at the moment! Excellent value and very very tasty! "

Excellent with a cheese board too

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"White: I like to go for a Sauvignon Blanc. Mud House, about around £10 is a fave.

Fizz: nothing beats Laurent Perrier Rose champagne. About £60/bottle and worth every drop. The white is pretty good too.

C"

I’m with you on LPR

over a year ago

"Once was in a audience at a wine tasting and talk ran by Ossie Clarke who challenge everyone to name the best wine of event. Everyone had to mark each wine as it was tasted and at the end of he would announce the best wine.

He did and it has stayed with me.

The best wine is simply the one you like the most and can afford."

I did a wine tasting which is how i know i like italian reds.. I tend to look for those that have awards if I'm trying something new

over a year ago

"White: I like to go for a Sauvignon Blanc. Mud House, about around £10 is a fave.

C

I’m with you on LPR "

Me too

over a year ago

I dont know anything about wine. If I have to buy I look at which row looks the emptiest and obviously the most popular and go for that. It all tastes like mould at the moment anyway.

By *orkshireDrifterMan
over a year ago

Nafferton, nr Driffield.

Remember that the bottle of wine that you buy in the supermarket or wine merchant a large amount is tax, there is carriage, profit to all in the chain, so any cheap wine only leaves a few pence for the actual wine.

Find a variatal that you like and pays couple of pounds more and those two pounds get you a much better wine.

over a year ago

A faustino or 19 crimes for me.

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Something which has always irked me: you see someone pouring wine and they pour what looks like a miserly shot of the stuff into your glass(!!!)

Fill it to the bloody top so I can chug it down for gawd’s sake!

….or is this poor etiquette? Philistinism is clearly hard to break in my case…

over a year ago

"Something which has always irked me: you see someone pouring wine and they pour what looks like a miserly shot of the stuff into your glass(!!!)

….or is this poor etiquette? Philistinism is clearly hard to break in my case… "

A pint of your best wine guv'nor

over a year ago

I like a Malbec. I also had a great Portuguese red wine last week but I’m struggling to remember the name

over a year ago

Don’t beat yourself up Op knowing little about wines. In our Tesco Express they keep bottles of red in the fridge.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I had a wine tasting session in a hotels wine cellar with the head sommelier. It was fascinating. My favourite was an Argentinean white. If I'm buying a bottle I tend to stick to Pinot Grig, safe!

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"Something which has always irked me: you see someone pouring wine and they pour what looks like a miserly shot of the stuff into your glass(!!!)

A pint of your best wine guv'nor "

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"Don’t beat yourself up Op knowing little about wines. In our Tesco Express they keep bottles of red in the fridge. "

I have one over Tesco’s at least I did know that Red is traditionally served at room temp whilst white is chilled.

Rose….I’m unsure though (Decided on a coin toss perhaps?)

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

You can have reds chilled and whites at room temperature. It’s all fermented grape juice and colour comes from the addition or not of ripe skins.

But generally reds pair well with steak say, though colder whites go better with spicy foods.

Horses for courses or whatever takes your fancy?

Common is being over 18 and going to an Italian restaurant and having a pint of with your tagliatelle.

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

Coffee infused 19 crimes

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

The best wines are the ones that taste good, doesn't matter if it's £5 a bottle or £500. Wine snobs are fookin idiots !

over a year ago

"Coffee infused 19 crimes "

Coffee infused wine!!! Ive fallen in love

By *asycouple777Couple
over a year ago

bristol

Albariños muscadet and sancerres are all usually good

You can get some nice Sauvignon but a lot taste like vinegar

over a year ago

I'd pay about £15 tops although I don't really drink wine. If I have to, then red and it has to taste more like port.

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

A Pinot for me

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

….or is this poor etiquette? Philistinism is clearly hard to break in my case… "

You wanna straw with that too?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I'd pay about £15 tops although I don't really drink wine. If I have to, then red and it has to taste more like port. "

Jam Shed would be ideal for you then

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

You wanna straw with that too? "

Is it deemed poor etiquette to swig it straight down out the bottle?

over a year ago

Bought a 90quid bottle of red for my old man who loves his wine. Said it was OK but would rather 10 cheaper bottles. Cheers dad, much appreciated

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"You can have reds chilled and whites at room temperature. It’s all fermented grape juice and colour comes from the addition or not of ripe skins.

But generally reds pair well with steak say, though colder whites go better with spicy foods.

Horses for courses or whatever takes your fancy?

Common is being over 18 and going to an Italian restaurant and having a pint of with your tagliatelle. "

Um……

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Used to enjoy Puligny-Montrachet, it was my secret pleasure when I had my company.

Think you could feed a family for a week for the price of a bottle now a days.

Really enjoy a good Barolo and even a Chianti and a Rioja for glugging.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I rarely drink wine and have only ever bought a bottle for myself, as part of a supermarket meal deal

over a year ago

Malbec for sure. The proper Argentinian ones too.

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

"Coffee infused 19 crimes

Coffee infused wine!!! Ive fallen in love "

It’s a lovely drop x

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

If I want something quaffable and red I would go for a Beaujolais (villages or cru), it’s uncomplicated, low on tannins and has a fresh berry flavour (almost like grape juice but not too sweet) - expect a good bottle between £8-£20

I will drink a French Malbec if I want something a little challenging in flavour (between£10-£20). I avoid new world wines

For white I would either go Chenin-Blanc or Chablis both are crisp and clean and avoid the buttery flavour of Chardonnay which isn’t to my palette. I will also go for a Sancerre or Verdicchio, all 4 of these wines can come at a variety of price points but £20-30 is about right.

For dessert wine I would always go for a Hungarian Tokaji which is usually expensive (£50+) Tokaji benefits from age, the older the better, but the price point is high.

My usual drink in the winter is Beaujolais and in the summer Chenin-Blanc

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Not really a wine guy, I can't really taste the difference. Whatever is free at a wedding

over a year ago

"I'd pay about £15 tops although I don't really drink wine. If I have to, then red and it has to taste more like port.

Jam Shed would be ideal for you then"

Thanks, will put it on my shopping list

over a year ago

My partner is a bit of a connoisseur. He buys wine direct from the vinyards and wine producers. Won't touch supermarket wines. When we met years ago i thought he was a bit of a wine snob, thought red wines were disgusting but he introduced me to some and he knows exactly my taste and he knows his wines. He can taste a wine and knows immediately if I'd like it, quite scary really. Sent back quite a few much to.the consternation of the waiters.

Somtimes it can be a little embarrassing.

Restaurants put a high mark-up on cheap wine with expensive sounding names

Restaurants we visit regularly these days, don't even try

The only thing he will say is this red wine for red meat, white wine for white meat/fish is bollocks. The wine has to complement the food, whatever wine

By *ssexhamptonMan
over a year ago

Rayleigh

Over Christmas I shared a bottle of Fitou at a friend's house. He asked if I liked it, I said I did he then revealed it is £5.49 a bottle in Aldi. The world is full of wine snobs.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I've done wine tasting as part of my job and believe me, expensive does mean good!

C

It really does not ! What you like has absolutely nothing to do with the price, the reserves for 40-50 here are a few euros on the south of France "

I meant does NOT.

I completely agree with you.

C

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I don't like wine as they all give me a headache.

By *ilfbonaMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Montepulciano or Argentinian Malbec

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I don't like wine as they all give me a headache. "

I find it's the sulphites and tannins that give me headaches. Try an organic white - I've never had a headache drinking that

C

By *entakuruMan
over a year ago

Exeter

I haven't seen Lambrini on sale anywhere for ages.

Generally though with wines, whiskies etc there is a certain level of diminishing returns, after a while you are paying for rarity rather than quality. One of my friends is a highly qualified sommelier who has worked in some of London's top restaurants and through him I've been lucky enough to taste some excellent wines that would normally be well out of my budget. One of the nicest wines I've had was a Cabernet Sauvignon from New York (upstate) - it cost a whopping £125 for the bottle!

I also attended a couple of blind tasting events where a range of wines were sampled from £5 to £500 à bottle, and almost always the nicest tasting ones tended to come out at the £50-100 mark. Still way too expensive for me but it did go to show that after a certain point you're just chucking money away and not getting a better experience.

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

Sancerre or Champagne.

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

Brandy.

Don't give me funny looks; it's made from distilled wine.

By *aughtiness69Couple
over a year ago

Kinmel bay

It's so subjective people pretending to be rich or showing off will pick the most expensive where as those that are humble will pick what they like.

A £40 bottle of double mellowed tastes better than a bottle of Pappy Van winkle, 20yr family reserve

To me anyway.

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

Wine will eventually turn into vinegar - they are both fermented grape juice.

Distil the wine and you get brandy...that never turns into vinegar

over a year ago

Diablo Black Cabernet Sauvignon, or I tried a Syrah today at Vagabond which was delicious..2019 ALPHABETICAL Syrah

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

Malbec (very oakey dry Red) room temp

Valpolicella (red and dry) room temp

White Zifandel (which is actually pink! and sweet) chilled well

Mateus Rose chilled well

Chardonnay chilled well

By *ugardadcleanerMan
over a year ago

cirencester

Cap d'Agde do a great entry level range at £9.50 Always surprises those in know lol

over a year ago

Barolo is fantastic

over a year ago

Bookmarking

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

Not too much by brand or price but my favourites are red wines Portuguese Douro Valley or Spanish Rioja are lovely wines . Portuguese wines are really great but they are so underrated!

By *relanddirectMan
over a year ago

cheshire

Several cavities 2015 chateaux Margaux a favourite at the moment. Budget in a wine shop? £30-£60, restaurants £70-£150 unless special occasion.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I still have happy memories about a dusty bottle of turnip wine bought from a Dorset shack many moons ago.

Place and company as well as brand affect the experience of drinking too.

By *pentoall555Man
over a year ago

benfleet

The most I have spent is £83 but that was in a posh restaurant where wine is overpriced. Between 10–15 would get you a very nice wine but even less can be really good but it an individual’s choice,everybody has different taste buds and preferences. Sancerre is a good white and chateauneuf du pap for red

By *ottoncandy42Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Argentinian Malbec is my firm favourite for a red and a nice French Chablis for white

over a year ago

Interesting fact I didn't know.

£5 Bottle supermarket Wine has 35p of wine in it. The rest of the cost is Bottling, Labeling, Marketing and distribution.

£10 bottle wine has at least £4 of wine in it.

A lot of cheap wines have lots of additives, also grapes are used from many different sources for mass production, as they are based on a grape type not quality. More expensive wines are usually made from grapes of the same vineyard.

Just useless bit of information I picked up

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
over a year ago

hexham

A lot of years ago I discovered Chateau Beychevelle, a French Bordeaux, a St Julien.

I payed about £26

It was stunningly good and I still buy it to this day though the last bottle I bought was last year from Burns in Clitheroe and cost £99.. it is in the wine rack ready to be opened!

I had a chateau Mouton Rothschild a few years ago which I picked up at a bargain £120 and it was fantastic, but that stuff has become unaffordable … I have just seen a bottle advertised on Berry Brothers for £350!

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple
over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

You know the taste of wine can be altered by temperature and aeration; it is possible to make a seemingly unpalatable red taste significantly better. Just pour the wine into a jug while making sure to generate as much foam as possible. Leave it at room temperature for a while and keep aerating the stuff by transferring it between jugs. Believe me it will taste a great deal smoother after it has been allowed to breathe. I also depends on what you are eating while drinking, that can have a massive bearing on your palate; I for one cannot eat chocolate while drinking wine.

With regards to white wine, for me they don't need to be so warm or aerated, in fact some of them are improved by being cold as you can get them without freezing. But that's just my taste, ad yours may be different entirely.

My taste buds tell me that cab sav is full of tannins and shiraz is a great deal smoother yet B thinks otherwise.

No one person can tell you that your taste is wrong; it is unique to you.

I can tell you from experience that the wines all taste better from the cellar door.

After a bottle of whatever you are drinking your taste buds aren't so discerning anyway.

By *ugardadcleanerMan
over a year ago

cirencester

"You know the taste of wine can be altered by temperature and aeration; it is possible to make a seemingly unpalatable red taste significantly better. Just pour the wine into a jug while making sure to generate as much foam as possible. Leave it at room temperature for a while and keep aerating the stuff by transferring it between jugs. Believe me it will taste a great deal smoother after it has been allowed to breathe. I also depends on what you are eating while drinking, that can have a massive bearing on your palate; I for one cannot eat chocolate while drinking wine.

With regards to white wine, for me they don't need to be so warm or aerated, in fact some of them are improved by being cold as you can get them without freezing. But that's just my taste, ad yours may be different entirely.

My taste buds tell me that cab sav is full of tannins and shiraz is a great deal smoother yet B thinks otherwise.

No one person can tell you that your taste is wrong; it is unique to you.

I can tell you from experience that the wines all taste better from the cellar door.

After a bottle of whatever you are drinking your taste buds aren't so discerning anyway.

"

Work in wine trade. There lot of tips. Love the profile too. Ty

Post new Message to Thread