FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How have your fitness training in 2021 been?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

It is almost the end of the year and how have your training been this year, have you reached your goals? I have and my training have been very good and it havent been effected with the lockdows as I have been training at home.

I have been able to maintain a very lean physique with a 6pack and also at the same time made improvements, which was my goal.

I keep it very simple, the training and the dieting, as for the training I follow a full body workout 3 times a week and with the dieting. I have been following flexible dieting, eating at maintenance and for the cardio I have been walking and I am averaging about 13k steps a day

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

On the whole it's been great. Have upped my one rep max's on all 3 lifts, changed up my deadlift style as got stuck at 125kg doing sumo, lost lost 3 stone.

Hopefully it will continue into 2022

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

Well, I seem to be doing better in the warmer months than I do the winter months. Running once a week now as less daylight and I don't fancy smashing into a unlit lamppost lol

over a year ago

evesham

"Well, I seem to be doing better in the warmer months than I do the winter months. Running once a week now as less daylight and I don't fancy smashing into a unlit lamppost lol"

Where in Milton Keynes are there unlit lampposts

Also..... Head torch?

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I'm still walking 13000 daily, but not swimming has lost some of my muscle tone so I can't wait to start that again when available pool times are a little better, knee and sciatic nerve is playing up atm so I'm enjoy heat therapy this xmas

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
over a year ago

Next Door

It was rubbish until November, now its 3 times a week lifting weights and 1 dance class.

It will continue in 2022

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Started off amazing, when a little meh in the middle of the year, last few months has been none existent. Must do better!!

over a year ago

Mines actually been decent. Although I was planning on losing a few lbs which I haven’t done (an injury has put a stop to any high intensity cardio) I’ve added a considerable amount to all my lifts and I’m feeling much stronger. I’ve been very consistent and I’m definitely going to smash it in the new year.

By *agertha73Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

"On the whole it's been great. Have upped my one rep max's on all 3 lifts, changed up my deadlift style as got stuck at 125kg doing sumo, lost lost 3 stone.

Hopefully it will continue into 2022 "

Excellent work. New goals for 2022?

over a year ago

I’ve had an outstanding year. My strength and endurance have improved massively. And I’ve lost 35kg of body fat.

Pretty much changed my life, and saved my life too.

over a year ago

We I joined a gym 3 months ago and have put on 3/4 of a stone . Started a new job with lots of sitting down hence joining the gym . Got to stop eating the chocolate and biscuits here

over a year ago

I can eat an entire tub of Ben and jerrys

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"Well, I seem to be doing better in the warmer months than I do the winter months. Running once a week now as less daylight and I don't fancy smashing into a unlit lamppost lol

Where in Milton Keynes are there unlit lampposts

Also..... Head torch? "

Oh I can point out a few lakes around mk that's like a deathtrap for runners at night time lol

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"I’ve had an outstanding year. My strength and endurance have improved massively. And I’ve lost 35kg of body fat.

Pretty much changed my life, and saved my life too. "

Thats awesome though. We'll done bud

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Sad to say fell of the wagon 3+ months ago. Surprisingly haven't changed physically but I'm sure I'd not be able to push as much iron now if I tried!

2022 resolution on the cards

By *razytimesinloveCouple
over a year ago

SW Scotland

"I’ve had an outstanding year. My strength and endurance have improved massively. And I’ve lost 35kg of body fat.

Huge achievement!

We’ve both managed to get a strongman/woman comp this year.

Mrs has had a great result with her strength training and weight loss.

Ive smashed through two very difficult programs, managed a pb of 280 kg on the trap bar and got the 135kg atlas stone up.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham and London

I have put on about 5 kg of muscle over the year and kept my body fat constant with a mixture of walking, regular compound weights and focussing on the protein intake. Nutrition is the hardest part - keeping the calories high enough - and getting better at that is my goal for 2022.

By *agertha73Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Huge achievement!

Ive smashed through two very difficult programs, managed a pb of 280 kg on the trap bar and got the 135kg atlas stone up. "

Well done both, 2022 looking positive

over a year ago

I’ve had a lot of ups and downs due to injury. Currently nursing a badly bruised left foot at the mo. Does the cycle of stop/start from injury get anyone else down?

over a year ago

SW Scotland

Huge achievement!

Ive smashed through two very difficult programs, managed a pb of 280 kg on the trap bar and got the 135kg atlas stone up.

Well done both, 2022 looking positive"

Thanks, I turn 40 soon and managed to get a place in a masters comp, hoping to get a few done this year

over a year ago

I tell you when 2021 over probably going to end the year out on a fail but ego has got the best off me this time

But if I bite down and pull it off it’s going to put me in to a even more elite category

500 sit ups drop sets from 20kg

100 sit ups a set drop 5kg per set

Only stoping to drop wight off and back in to it

Currently pulling 300 from 20kg in sets off 60 at the moment

But I think there more left in the tank

over a year ago

Hmmm i have struggled since the death of my training partner in January

So I've been doing classes instead of my gym routine.... I've missed my goals which were unassisted pull up and 200kg leg press (i did 190kg, but psyched myself out to go higher)

I am going to try and be more weights focused - it is intimidating tho as a female

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"It is almost the end of the year and how have your training been this year, have you reached your goals? I have and my training have been very good and it havent been effected with the lockdows as I have been training at home.

I have been able to maintain a very lean physique with a 6pack and also at the same time made improvements, which was my goal.

I keep it very simple, the training and the dieting, as for the training I follow a full body workout 3 times a week and with the dieting. I have been following flexible dieting, eating at maintenance and for the cardio I have been walking and I am averaging about 13k steps a day "

Mixed year, I’m afraid. Couple of restarts, couple of injuries (same one, repeatedly), didn’t get anywhere near where I wanted to. But still have an ok level of fitness, and am very active (ave 16k steps for the year) ... so patience, start again, and hope for better results in 2022. Making some changes to give the injury a gentle time while pushing harder in other areas

over a year ago

Summer - perfect, I was doing workouts in the house a few times a week, leaving all the junk food and choosing healthier and equally yummy options and walking 8 miles every other evening.

I haven't walked 8 miles in one go since summer

over a year ago

I’ve had a mixed year. Injuries kept me out for a couple of months but overall it’s not been as bad as I thought it would. 2022 is the year I go all in!! Lol

over a year ago

My fatness has improved quite a lot this past year

over a year ago

"Summer - perfect, I was doing workouts in the house a few times a week, leaving all the junk food and choosing healthier and equally yummy options and walking 8 miles every other evening.

I haven't walked 8 miles in one go since summer "

Yeah summer was great, i was walking 10-20km daily and doing 6 classes at the gym and eating healthily!

By *agertha73Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

"

Thanks, I turn 40 soon and managed to get a place in a masters comp, hoping to get a few done this year "

Good luck, hope you get your numbers up and stay injury free

over a year ago

SW Scotland

"

Thanks, I turn 40 soon and managed to get a place in a masters comp, hoping to get a few done this year

Good luck, hope you get your numbers up and stay injury free"

Keeping injury free has been the hardest part

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

Seems to be a few people on this thread who know what they're talking about so maybe you can offer some advice.

I retired a few months ago from a fairly busy job which kept me fairly slim though not really toned. I eat well and think I'm fairly fit but now I've got time on my hands I thought I'd join a gym. I'm not bothered about bulking up with muscle, probably well past that stage anyway. I'd just like to get a bit fitter, maybe build up my stamina a little and lose a little weight from my midriff.

Only exercise I get at the minute is walking, probably 3 or 4 miles a day with the dog.

So, where do I start in the gym, what pieces of equipment do I use, will swimming help and how long before I'd notice a difference?

over a year ago

"Seems to be a few people on this thread who know what they're talking about so maybe you can offer some advice.

I retired a few months ago from a fairly busy job which kept me fairly slim though not really toned. I eat well and think I'm fairly fit but now I've got time on my hands I thought I'd join a gym. I'm not bothered about bulking up with muscle, probably well past that stage anyway. I'd just like to get a bit fitter, maybe build up my stamina a little and lose a little weight from my midriff.

Only exercise I get at the minute is walking, probably 3 or 4 miles a day with the dog.

So, where do I start in the gym, what pieces of equipment do I use, will swimming help and how long before I'd notice a difference?

"

You should speak to a personal trainer and get a decent weight based programme and keep walking for cardio. Without being cheeky, at your age gaining large amounts of muscle isn’t very likely although you will make gains. Weight training burns a lot of calories so with the correct diet you’d still lose body fat so it really is a win win situation.

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"Seems to be a few people on this thread who know what they're talking about so maybe you can offer some advice.

"

To be fair, I don't use a gym as I do home workouts at home. Doesn't quite matter what exercises you do really. What matters is being consistent. Set yourself achievable goals each day or any other goal and stick with it. Then gradually build it up. I would recommend swimming as it's more an all round exercise and good for cardio. Weights wise.. target a body area per day or alternative days and go from there. Start with light weights then work on technique so you get the benefits. Quality over quantity after all. Best advise I can give but I'm sure others more knowledgeable can advise more. Good luck though

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"

Good for you.

Best advice I can give is to get to know a Physiotherapist, who can help to give advice on what will work for you given your current fitness levels and flexibility etc. They can help you to design a work programme that targets your needs and operated within your capabilities, and work with you to monitor progress and refine your workload.

And second best piece of advice I can give is that consistency and moderation are your friends. Sudden bursts of activity and training too hard for a few weeks get you nowhere except injured. And taking weeks off or neglecting stuff like stretching will limit your progress. Slow and steady doesn’t sound exciting and won’t give massive results in the first 2 months, but it gets you there. Write down what you are doing (weights or repetitions of exercises, speed / distance at running or cycling etc) and look back at your progress in a few months time. If you are new to exercise or starting from a relatively low fitness base, the stuff that feels like hard work right now will feel like a light warmup in 3 months time.

Good luck!

over a year ago

Pretty rubbish really. Sporadic and inconsistent. Really knocked sideways by being unable to do anything at all since September. 2022 will be a struggle to try and regain anything.

over a year ago

You don't need a personal trainer or a physio to get started.

Your first priority is to find something you really enjoy doing so have some fun discovering that first.

If you're set on going to the gym just go for a few mess about sessions and try things out. There will be plenty of people to help you out in terms of how to use stuff.

Once you know what you enjoy doing then you can begin working out programmes which will most likely involve progressively doing a little more of whatever you decide to do every couple of weeks or so.

Keep a note of what you can do and then set yourself some targets for what you'd like to do. About this stage is a good time to begin chatting to personal trainers (or just other people doing similar stuff)

By *andering Welsh GuyMan
over a year ago

All over the place

I've regressed hugely fresh start and goals for 2022 though

By *onderingpurposeMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Covid knocked me back a bit but I'm happy. Best ever performance at a few races and then benefit of improved stretching, lunges, squats is definitely paying off. Diet needs to improve though and less wine

over a year ago

Good, go running 2/3 times a week

Occasional running event as well

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

[Removed by poster at 29/12/21 11:34:06]

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"You don't need a personal trainer or a physio to get started.

Your first priority is to find something you really enjoy doing so have some fun discovering that first.

If you're set on going to the gym just go for a few mess about sessions and try things out. There will be plenty of people to help you out in terms of how to use stuff.

Once you know what you enjoy doing then you can begin working out programmes which will most likely involve progressively doing a little more of whatever you decide to do every couple of weeks or so.

Keep a note of what you can do and then set yourself some targets for what you'd like to do. About this stage is a good time to begin chatting to personal trainers (or just other people doing similar stuff)"

I completely agree with you regarding finding something that you really enjoy - it never occurred to me to dance at home (and I love dancing!) so this is a good way of getting some cardio in when the weather is bad and I don't fancy getting wet.

I am not sure I agree as much on the "not needing a personal trainer" - I find it really supportive and helpful to improve on my weights working with a PT two or three times a week. He does push me further than I would go without that support (and occasional friendly shouting! I have always worked with a PT and especially as a beginner, they corrected my posture which is why I now know how to life/ push whatever correctly.

Overall, I have learnt through making mistakes that you really cannot out-train a bad diet but... if you have fallen off the waggon, getting back into your routine asap is the best thing you can do.

TRE (time restricted eating) also helps if you want to lose a bit of body fat.

And talking to others in your local gym is not only helpful but also fun - I don't do it enough so your post has made me think about that as well.

over a year ago

I got my stats as 31 activities on stravva. At the start of the year I was aiming for two rides a week.that didn't go to plan

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

Pretty good, earlier in the year I done a 1 million steps challenge to raise money/awareness for type one diabetes, I’ve continued to teach my dance and fitness classes which for the most part moved online but are now back in person which I am enjoying.

I do yoga from home 3 times a week and I walk 10k steps a day, I go out in the morning before work and try to do one big walk each weekend, despite living in the area I do for 8yrs I hadn’t realised how many beautiful walks there were around me it’s been fun to explore xx

By *ykoCouple
over a year ago

york

Swimming 3 times a week as with my disability best exercise for me plus I did the virtual swim the Channel this year 22 miles in my local pool to raise money for macmillan cancer support so was well happy when I completed it.

By *egoMan
over a year ago

Preston

Good, really focussed on repairing my spine from 2015.

From struggling to walk, this month I competed in a Strongman competition and completed it. Unimportantly came 16 out of 23, but it wasn’t a competition for me. Just a challenge.

Walking, yoga, callisthenics, weight training.

Black market drugs and scientific method.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Really well I think. I've but on a decent amount of muscl going up from 65kg to 71kg at the start of the year. Went from going to the gym 4 days a week to 6 days a week and my first has also gotten a lot better from what it was to aid muscle growth.

I got into cricket again this year and got some cardio in through cricket training and going for daily 40 min walks but think it can still be improved somewhat but want it to negatively affect my muscle growth as I tend to burn calories quite easily. Would love to figure out that balance in the coming year

over a year ago

I set out to run 1000 miles during the year and I achieved more than that. I began with running 268 miles in January for the virtual Spine event.

I ran my first marathon event and loved the experience.

I set personal challenge to run 100 miles in 48 hrs and almost achieved it had I not caused a stress fracture at mile 82 (40 hrs in) ..there's always this year

I started trail running and fell in love with it and so my next marathon is 70% Road & 30% trail.

Considering my foot injury stopped me exercising for 8 weeks I feel like I had an awesome 2021 for fitness.

NBVN x

over a year ago

"You don't need a personal trainer or a physio to get started.

Keep a note of what you can do and then set yourself some targets for what you'd like to do. About this stage is a good time to begin chatting to personal trainers (or just other people doing similar stuff)

I completely agree with you regarding finding something that you really enjoy - it never occurred to me to dance at home (and I love dancing!) so this is a good way of getting some cardio in when the weather is bad and I don't fancy getting wet.

I am not sure I agree as much on the "not needing a personal trainer" - I find it really supportive and helpful to improve on my weights working with a PT two or three times a week. He does push me further than I would go without that support (and occasional friendly shouting! I have always worked with a PT and especially as a beginner, they corrected my posture which is why I now know how to life/ push whatever correctly.

Overall, I have learnt through making mistakes that you really cannot out-train a bad diet but... if you have fallen off the waggon, getting back into your routine asap is the best thing you can do.

TRE (time restricted eating) also helps if you want to lose a bit of body fat.

And talking to others in your local gym is not only helpful but also fun - I don't do it enough so your post has made me think about that as well. "

I'm not suggesting people won't benefit from a personal trainer. I just don't think that should be the starting point.

Best to figure out what motivates you first and then find out how to best progress with it. If your starting point is to go to a personal trainer you're potentially limited by what their interests are rather than your own.

Some sort of training partner is always helpful. Especially if they're on a similar journey and you can motivate each other with progress/gains.

I hope you get some good conversations at the gym

over a year ago

Terrible, I need to get back into a gym routine. I've done mainly yoga and walking but it's not enough

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

Some sort of training partner is always helpful. Especially if they're on a similar journey and you can motivate each other with progress/gains.

I hope you get some good conversations at the gym "

Just looked at your profile and the toe comment had me in stitches... talking of boundaries

over a year ago

"

I hope you get some good conversations at the gym

Just looked at your profile and the toe comment had me in stitches... talking of boundaries "

That's a very particular type of personal training

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

Mine was a year of 2 halves. Terrible until June (I really lost all motivation in the 3rd lockdown), but been pretty consistent since re-starting and am now back to pre-lockdown shape, strength and PBs (and new one with the C&J, tho still new to the Oly WL).

Must make sure I keep going in 2022!!

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

over a year ago

evesham

"On the whole it's been great. Have upped my one rep max's on all 3 lifts, changed up my deadlift style as got stuck at 125kg doing sumo, lost lost 3 stone.

Hopefully it will continue into 2022

Excellent work. New goals for 2022?"

Thank you x

Get stronger but smaller I don't have a goal weight, just go by how I look. My main goal is to get off diabetic meds x

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

Just a quick thanks to tjose that offered advice to me, much appreciated.

And also a quick apology to the OP for hijacking his thread. Sorry mate, hopefully I'll be able to comment on my fitness year if you post the same next year. Good luck to all for reaching your targets in the coming year.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Just what I do at work keeps me looking the same, I walk way to much though

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Done almost 5.5 million steps this year

By *entleman kinksterMan
over a year ago

london

amazing stuff!!

Post new Message to Thread