Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Smokers influence

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

According to reports..

Patents who smoke have children who are four times more likely to smoke.. is there a link here ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Dunno.

When I was a kid I hated the smell of our house. I hated the fact that we couldn't afford this or that but my parents could always afford fags.

At 15 I started smoking. I don't think it had anything to do with my home life as such...... I simply wanted to fit in with my peers.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Dunno.

When I was a kid I hated the smell of our house. I hated the fact that we couldn't afford this or that but my parents could always afford fags.

At 15 I started smoking. I don't think it had anything to do with my home life as such...... I simply wanted to fit in with my peers."

What I meant by my home life as such... maybe if I felt like I fitted in at home I wouldn't have searched elsewhere to feel connected. So I do believe my home life had an influence, but not in the way your question comes across. If anything, I knew I'd get in so much fucking trouble my head would roll... and it did.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Perhaps read the research that prompted that revelation.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's all over the news

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

You can't copy patents, it's not allowed, is it?!

But if we're discussing the information in the news that young people are 4 times more likely to smoke if someone at home does, then of course there's a connection. The fact researchers have said in media reports that there's a connection, means there's a connection.

What is the NATURE of that connection? That's what should be under discussion, perhaps?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"According to reports..

Patents who smoke have children who are four times more likely to smoke.. is there a link here ?"

Well my first two out of four are defying that so far and are in their 20's.

I'll keep you posted shall I?

PW

over a year ago

Both my parents smoked, me or my brothers don't.

over a year ago

"You can't copy patents, it's not allowed, is it?!

But if we're discussing the information in the news that young people are 4 times more likely to smoke if someone at home does, then of course there's a connection. The fact researchers have said in media reports that there's a connection, means there's a connection.

What is the NATURE of that connection? That's what should be under discussion, perhaps? "

Don't get me started ...

IS

over a year ago

Both my parents never smoked, I did at an early age.

Just the rebel and stupidity in me rising to the top

Even tried a rolly up a few times at primary school, wtf!

over a year ago

I got told this by a boy in my class at primary school and I was terrified for years that I was doomed to become a smoker as my 'dad' did. I never did however, never even tried it although we used to have those pretend ciggies as kids, that you could eat when you'd finished pretending.

over a year ago

It was my rebellious side. I was ‘the good boy’ but kinda forced into that. The lines were confusing and goal posts changed all the time so I stayed well clear of anything bad, as I never knew what the punishment was going to be even a minor misdemeanour.

I have a repressed naughty side that’s finally emerging

over a year ago

Well yeah.. the link is obviously the influence parents have on their kids. Some it leads to negative thoughts on smoking and some it encourages or facilitates.

I used to smoke and my son now detests cigarettes and the smell of smoke.

My dad smokes, he never influenced me but I used to pinch fags off him. Like peach said, I smoked because my peers did.

But I do agree that if your parents smoke then you are more likely to. Maybe it’s some kind of subconscious approval or lack of fear of being reprimanded for it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"You can't copy patents, it's not allowed, is it?!

What is the NATURE of that connection? That's what should be under discussion, perhaps?

Don't get me started ...

IS"

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

My mother has smoked as long as I can remember, I'm used to the smell of cigarettes but have never tried it and have no urge to start

over a year ago

My parents & grandparents smoked, but gave up before I was old enough to remember. I started smoking when I was 16 as most of my mates were, gave up when I was 24 but started vaping about 5 years ago... A 20 odd year gap!

I don't think my parents etc smoking had any impact on if I did or not, but that's just my opinion

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I remember that coconut tobacco and it was very tasty in the sweet shop..

over a year ago

This is not new research, it's been said for years. It's being plugged now as another part of trying to get people to quit. My parents both smoked then one after another they both quit. 3 out of their 4 children have smoked at some point, I still do but one of their children never has and never will.

I don't smoke because my parents did, I started as stupid teen social smoker thinking I was clever and for different reasons have carried on.

over a year ago

I’m looking forward to the government introducing shame bells in pub smoking areas like when cersai walks the streets naked in game of thrones.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Should parents smoke in front of their kids tho ?

over a year ago

"This is not new research, it's been said for years. It's being plugged now as another part of trying to get people to quit. My parents both smoked then one after another they both quit. 3 out of their 4 children have smoked at some point, I still do but one of their children never has and never will.

I don't smoke because my parents did, I started as stupid teen social smoker thinking I was clever and for different reasons have carried on. "

Correct!! news report just before people make their New Years resolutions..

over a year ago

"This is not new research, it's been said for years. It's being plugged now as another part of trying to get people to quit. My parents both smoked then one after another they both quit. 3 out of their 4 children have smoked at some point, I still do but one of their children never has and never will.

I don't smoke because my parents did, I started as stupid teen social smoker thinking I was clever and for different reasons have carried on.

Correct!! news report just before people make their New Years resolutions.. "

Exactly! It's the same every year.

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

"I’m looking forward to the government introducing shame bells in pub smoking areas like when cersai walks the streets naked in game of thrones."

I would love a look at me bell.

Could also be used to announce you need the bar to put the heaters on outside.

over a year ago

My parents and grandparents smoked, everyone did in those times. My sister does, but my brother and myself don’t. X

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

Me and my husband both smoke but none of our 3 kids ever have ..My parents didn’t either I started in school cos it was the in thing at the time …

By *entakuruMan
over a year ago

Exeter

My dad was an *occasional* smoker, would have one or two a day whilst writing books. My mum used to smoke but quit before I was born. I think what was annoying was that parents would always say 'oh don't smoke' but then have a cig themselves. Personally I went through a bit of a phase smoking cigarettes in my 20s but stopped when I was 30 - as much as anything else it was for the social aspect and the fact that smokers seemed to get more breaks to spend outside the office. I also used to smoke partly as it was a social ice breaker - easy to get chatting to strangers or cute girls when asking for a light etc. Always preferred w33d though although don't really do that much nowadays either.

over a year ago

Met my ex in a smoking area outside a club. Asked her for a light and she reached in her bag to get one. pulled it out and a breast pump came flying out at me!

over a year ago

My father supported Glasgow Rangers and has tattoos, I don't have tattoos and I don't support rangers but I did grow up supporting them.

Just saying

over a year ago

"I’m looking forward to the government introducing shame bells in pub smoking areas like when cersai walks the streets naked in game of thrones.

I would love a look at me bell.

Could also be used to announce you need the bar to put the heaters on outside. "

I really think the naked and chained look would suit you.

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

sure the News here is just public health 'nudge' but don't mean its not true...

maybe good to remember Secondary Smoking. how hard people had to campaign for this to be recognised.

where i grew up, Everyone smoked. I learned how to when i was seven.

Dad was a musician and a smoker and can you remember how smokey a pub was back then ? or the smoking carriage of a tube train...

far as im concerned, i was a smoker long before i lit a fag.

had some success since vapes appeared, fell off the wagon now and then but mostly the last ten or so years ive been not smoking.

Now, my daughter does not smoke.

and here's the difference; in her lifetime no smoking in pubs or coffeeshops or restaurants or buses...and of course, i rarely would smoke indoors or same room as her.

four times as likely ? Im suprised its not higher.

x

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Should parents smoke in front of their kids tho ?"

Some parents shouldn’t be allowed to speak in front of their children , the crap that comes out thier mouths.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

My parents smoked, not a lot because they couldn't afford it. I hated the smell, even as a kid. I'm one of 6 children and not one of us has ever smoked.

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

Wasn't the report for parents who told their kids not to smoke, whilst they smoked themselves?

Post new Message to Thread