Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

When do you end your workout?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I usually do pre-set workouts tailored to me but last night I decided to play it by ear and just do what I enjoy. I felt bad ending my workout as I didn't feel anywhere close to death but then nearly fell down the gym stairs as my legs suddenly turned into jelly

Interested to know what people go by on here - do you have a set workout that you know will push you? Do you go by time? Or bodily indicators?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

For weight training, I follow a gym routine that I always try to finish. Even if I feel knackered or not up to it, I still do those final exercises even if I have to do them at a lower weight because doing them at a lower intensity is still better than not doing them at all

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I either do classes or i have a set of exercises on select machines that i follow. The exercises on the machines are taxing for me

By *edToTheMaxCouple
over a year ago

doncaster

Depends on your goals, if you are looking to lose/grow or maintain.

Having a set routine is good but if you don't feel like you've pushed yourself then try adding 10% more

1 extra set of reps, 5 minutes more on the tread mill, etc

Pushing above where your body has adapted is the key to change

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

When the plates empty

over a year ago

"For weight training, I follow a gym routine that I always try to finish. Even if I feel knackered or not up to it, I still do those final exercises even if I have to do them at a lower weight because doing them at a lower intensity is still better than not doing them at all "

Yeah that's why I felt bad, instead of lowering the weight I just thought "fuck it" and stopped. It was like 4.30am and I'd been there for an hour, I just wanted my bed

over a year ago

Mostly I use a planned routine which I mix up and make more difficult every 2 weeks.

But ever so now and again it's fun to just mess about for an hour or so. For these I just keep going until I'm too weak to do them properly.

I think early on it's best to be cautious with how far to push yourself unless you want days of aches. As you get fitter you get a better idea of how far you can push yourself although you can still find yourself caught out a couple of days after!

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

"For weight training, I follow a gym routine that I always try to finish. Even if I feel knackered or not up to it, I still do those final exercises even if I have to do them at a lower weight because doing them at a lower intensity is still better than not doing them at all

Yeah that's why I felt bad, instead of lowering the weight I just thought "fuck it" and stopped. It was like 4.30am and I'd been there for an hour, I just wanted my bed "

You went to the gym at 3.30AM? that's dedication!

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Mine ends when I've got nothing else left in the tank feeling tired or when I have other timely appointments coming up

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I use the time honoured method of never starting

over a year ago

I use a pre set plan but never usually train longer that 45 minutes using an upper and lower body split routine. I use several methods to make it more challenging: adding/reducing weight, adding extra sets or reps, blood flow constriction, trying alternative exercise that works the same area, increasing speed/resistance or incline if cardio.

over a year ago

I use a preset plan that I’ve tailored for myself over the years. It’s the easiest way to measure progress although there’s no harm in switching it up every so often.

over a year ago

"For weight training, I follow a gym routine that I always try to finish. Even if I feel knackered or not up to it, I still do those final exercises even if I have to do them at a lower weight because doing them at a lower intensity is still better than not doing them at all

Yeah that's why I felt bad, instead of lowering the weight I just thought "fuck it" and stopped. It was like 4.30am and I'd been there for an hour, I just wanted my bed

You went to the gym at 3.30AM? that's dedication!"

Oh nah I just like it to be as quiet as possible haha

By *rooperRedMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

I do a program called Stronglifts. It's a set thing with an app. Then I do some extra work after, like abs and extra arm work.

over a year ago

"I use the time honoured method of never starting "

Fair enough!

over a year ago

"I use a pre set plan but never usually train longer that 45 minutes using an upper and lower body split routine. I use several methods to make it more challenging: adding/reducing weight, adding extra sets or reps, blood flow constriction, trying alternative exercise that works the same area, increasing speed/resistance or incline if cardio."

Blood flow constriction? Why does that sound like a method of torture

over a year ago

"Mostly I use a planned routine which I mix up and make more difficult every 2 weeks.

But ever so now and again it's fun to just mess about for an hour or so. For these I just keep going until I'm too weak to do them properly.

I think early on it's best to be cautious with how far to push yourself unless you want days of aches. As you get fitter you get a better idea of how far you can push yourself although you can still find yourself caught out a couple of days after!

"

Yeah this is basically what happened, I just messed around for about an hour. My clean and presses turned into "can't even clean this" so I figured I was about done I am quite sore today though must have still been somewhat effective

Will go back to structured workouts though as I know they push me harder.

Post new Message to Thread