Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Just eat, Deliveroo etc, what a rip off

Jump to newest

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple
over a year ago

notts

Never realised until i just checked,

all these food delivery companies charge extra on the menu price of food AND THEN put the delivery charge on top !!!

we ordered chinese food for all of us Christmas eve from our regular place, couldn't get through on the phone so ordered through Just Eat ...... it came to 12.75 on top of the normal menu price and then a further 4.25 for delivery,

An extra 17.00 against the cost of just nipping down the road and collecting it.

never EVER again

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rooperRedMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

Out of that extra £17 the driver will be lucky to get £4.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not just customers they fuck...but also the food place

Deliveroo charge takeaway 30% to be on there site

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Never used any if them before but they are making takeaways worse in my opinion. Since KFC and McDonalds started using them the service has been worse because they need to cater to deliveries in top of in-store customers and drive-thru. It's just not efficient. I'd do away with them if I could

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Your’e paying for the convenience, but yes their charges are high, even if you manage to use discounts.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

I hope they all fail. Never used one and I’m not comfortable with some poor bugger paid a pittance to ride those fucking bikes. What has the world come to?

over a year ago

I have noticed this before but honestly I just see it as a service. All my local food places collated into one place, organised in an easy to view format, don't have to ring anyone up and awkwardly give address and card details, get to track my order live as it's on the road while sitting on my sofa in my PJs, plus I'm helping drivers earn a living.

However if I don't care about all that stuff I'll just call the restaurant up directly or get my arse in the car and go myself.

If you have Amazon Prime you should also check out their partnership with Deliveroo. You get free Deliveroo Plus, I believe for a year (free delivery on orders £25+)

over a year ago

When the business model first emerged I was very dubious thinking. Who’s going to pay 30% extra just to have a big mac delivered?!?

It has been quite a surprise how popular the services have become seeing as it is a premium service seemingly aimed at those who are not price sensitive.

Had similar thing last week. Usual t/away of about £30, cost £42 plus the tip. But figured it was worth £12 to avoid they rain and driving to the takeaway. We always tip so as the driver gets some extra. They always say thanks too so obviously appreciate it.

We look at these services as a timesaving treat rather than the default way to get takeaway. Don’t expect someone else does the work for free. It would certainly cost more than £12 to go and get it!

over a year ago

"Never realised until i just checked,

all these food delivery companies charge extra on the menu price of food AND THEN put the delivery charge on top !!!

we ordered chinese food for all of us Christmas eve from our regular place, couldn't get through on the phone so ordered through Just Eat ...... it came to 12.75 on top of the normal menu price and then a further 4.25 for delivery,

An extra 17.00 against the cost of just nipping down the road and collecting it.

never EVER again"

who's the mug

over a year ago

"I hope they all fail. Never used one and I’m not comfortable with some poor bugger paid a pittance to ride those fucking bikes. What has the world come to? "

I doubt they will however. There’s one thing that you can take to the bank….. the laziness of the masses and addiction to convenience. That will trump even the slightly higher price or any concern for the labour chain involved.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Can't believe it's taken that long to realise!

Snoop Dogg doesn't come cheap.

The curry house round here give you a discount for ordering direct and bypassing just eat.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

U want to not go out and collect it then u pays for it! Think this house with my 2 girls must have more deliveries than most! More money than sense! One even had a pizza delivered on xmas day! x

over a year ago

"U want to not go out and collect it then u pays for it! Think this house with my 2 girls must have more deliveries than most! More money than sense! One even had a pizza delivered on xmas day! x"

Err, why??!

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

never EVER again"

Just make it yourself save even more money.

A bag of flour and some tap water - basic pizza for 17p.

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

It's worth remembering that many local takeaways do special offers that aren't on the big websites.

As an example a local curry house charges you for a curry if you book direct and you get free pilau rice. That very same rice, from the very same takeaway, is charged at £4.50 on Just Eat.

By *rooperRedMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

I worked as a delivery driver last year. They treat you worse than dirt. You're totally expendable. Support is useless. You'd get "offers" of doing a ten mile run for 50p and they'd be like "No, there's no problem with the system." Or you could be sat outside a restaurant and watch the same guys going in over and over with you not getting a single order.

Some drivers use multiple phones with multiple accounts, so they'd pick up four orders at once. If those orders were in totally different directions then obviously it'll be late and cold by the time it gets there, if at all, as they'd just cancel the order and bin it to pick up the next one.

You got nothing for being punctual and honest. In the end I complained about my shifts being taken off me so they deleted my account without an explanation. Just poof. They don't deserve to exist, it's that simple.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"U want to not go out and collect it then u pays for it! Think this house with my 2 girls must have more deliveries than most! More money than sense! One even had a pizza delivered on xmas day! x

Err, why??! "

Because that's what she wanted! X

over a year ago

The menu prices are set at by the restaurants or the take aways. Some or most charge extra because to pay the delivery companies charges from. So their own menu prices will be different. But it the restaurants that make that choice. They would rather you order direct but they need to be on the apps because everybody else is.

The restaurants and takeaways have become dependent on the extra revenue these apps generate. My next door neighbour has a takeaway. He was Just eat and he left, trying to get customers to order direct. He was forced to go back because his sales plummeted.

The younger generation don't care they live of the screen. My neighbour told me about a Just eat delivery he made to a house directly across the street. He walked across himself and didn't even wait for the driver. A girl her pjs at 6pm couldn’t be bothered to walk across the road but willing to pay extra for convenience.

The driver can actually make good money heard of drivers making £100 to 150 a night. They are not tied to one establishment like a conventional driver and go wherever they get a job. Actually the restaurants and takeaways have lost a lot of workers to the delivery apps that are struggling to keep staff.

Even seen guys in fancy big Audis and BMWs doing deliveries. Its not companies faults people are lazy.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I don’t know I never use them, I much prefer to cook something fresh which takes 10–15 mins

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I don’t know I never use them, I much prefer to cook something fresh which takes 10–15 mins "

Me 2! I'm sure the delivery peeps think I sit and eat all day as I the one answers door! I never touch them! Unless its costa I shall have a coffee! Some days we have maybe 4 deliveries! sometimes just coffees or milkshakes x

By *rooperRedMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

"The driver can actually make good money heard of drivers making £100 to 150 a night. They are not tied to one establishment like a conventional driver and go wherever they get a job. Actually the restaurants and takeaways have lost a lot of workers to the delivery apps that are struggling to keep staff.

Even seen guys in fancy big Audis and BMWs doing deliveries. Its not companies faults people are lazy."

I did a few across the road jobs. Couldn't blame them as during lockdown some places were delivery only, and then later it could be a 45 minute queue in places like McD and KFC.

As for the money, yes, on a good day you'd make that. But then take off petrol and insurance, and balance it against those days you're working ten hour days for £50. Plus sitting in your car all day. The ones who make the big money are the ones who frig the system, like I said with multiple phones. They could make £25-50 hour but they're killing the rest of the drivers. The restaurants don't care, they get paid anyway, so they'd happily hand out the orders. Think the most I saw was six. Think those customers will be back?

over a year ago

I used Just Eat last year when I had to isolate. Ridiculous mark up on the food and then delivery too.

The local places now offer delivery via local taxis so we use them instead.

over a year ago

"The driver can actually make good money heard of drivers making £100 to 150 a night. They are not tied to one establishment like a conventional driver and go wherever they get a job. Actually the restaurants and takeaways have lost a lot of workers to the delivery apps that are struggling to keep staff.

Even seen guys in fancy big Audis and BMWs doing deliveries. Its not companies faults people are lazy.

I did a few across the road jobs. Couldn't blame them as during lockdown some places were delivery only, and then later it could be a 45 minute queue in places like McD and KFC.

As for the money, yes, on a good day you'd make that. But then take off petrol and insurance, and balance it against those days you're working ten hour days for £50. Plus sitting in your car all day. The ones who make the big money are the ones who frig the system, like I said with multiple phones. They could make £25-50 hour but they're killing the rest of the drivers. The restaurants don't care, they get paid anyway, so they'd happily hand out the orders. Think the most I saw was six. Think those customers will be back?"

While I don't doubt your experience, I think its all about location etc. Am talking guys in the big cities where there are plenty establishments. I can only go from the feedback of one guy who only worked for Uber eats.

The delivery I mentioned earlier was pre-covid lockdowns, so no the person was just lazy.

over a year ago

A friend works for just eat. He works 6 nights a week and swears blind he earns 1k a week! Not a bad job then

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Whenever you see an environmental health report naming dodgy disgusting rat infested takeaways, there always seems to be a just eat sign in the window.

over a year ago

"Whenever you see an environmental health report naming dodgy disgusting rat infested takeaways, there always seems to be a just eat sign in the window. "

What does that have to do with just eat?

By *ill-Ian KissesCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere over there

We have a local Paisley Eats who cover most of Renfrewshire and their commission charge much lower than just eat and some places listed like cafes are only on that site, so money re-invested to local community which is my preference.

M

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

Yeah but Snoops rap is totally awesome and better than almost any song on the radio...

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Whenever you see an environmental health report naming dodgy disgusting rat infested takeaways, there always seems to be a just eat sign in the window.

What does that have to do with just eat?"

Order at your peril…..or at least choose your takeaway vendor wisely.

over a year ago

One thing these apps have done is, disrupt the undeclared cash business. Those cash transactions previously sometimes no tax paid or vat. The drivers paid cash in hand.

I heard that when uber started in the UK, HMRC started reviewing what black cab driver had been declaring the years before.

over a year ago

Convenience, people pay for it... time is precious.

I dont use those companies as dont eat fast food and live in a country village so they dont come this far. However i do pay for waitrose & m&s food delivery.

over a year ago

"I hope they all fail. Never used one and I’m not comfortable with some poor bugger paid a pittance to ride those fucking bikes. What has the world come to? "

One of my apprentices does it on the side, he earns 300-350 for a fri & sat night. Pretty damn fair tbh

over a year ago

"I worked as a delivery driver last year. They treat you worse than dirt. You're totally expendable. Support is useless. You'd get "offers" of doing a ten mile run for 50p and they'd be like "No, there's no problem with the system." Or you could be sat outside a restaurant and watch the same guys going in over and over with you not getting a single order.

Some drivers use multiple phones with multiple accounts, so they'd pick up four orders at once. If those orders were in totally different directions then obviously it'll be late and cold by the time it gets there, if at all, as they'd just cancel the order and bin it to pick up the next one.

You got nothing for being punctual and honest. In the end I complained about my shifts being taken off me so they deleted my account without an explanation. Just poof. They don't deserve to exist, it's that simple."

21st century UK.... heartbreaking to read this....

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

never EVER again"

You expect someone to go somewhere and collect your order, check its correct, check the delivery address is correct, then deliver it to you, but you didn't expect them to make a profit or to pay for that service?

Winston

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

OP, how do you expect a business to make money if it's going to charge the exact same prices as what the takeaway is offering?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Never used them and don't want to.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"OP, how do you expect a business to make money if it's going to charge the exact same prices as what the takeaway is offering? "

Good point x

over a year ago

I can't believe people actually use them in the first place!

over a year ago

"We have a local Paisley Eats who cover most of Renfrewshire and their commission charge much lower than just eat and some places listed like cafes are only on that site, so money re-invested to local community which is my preference.

M"

That's really cool

over a year ago

My son started up a little food business in truro and wasn't doing great until he linked up with just eat and it tripled his turnover in just 2 weeks . I assume a lot of it was because of covid and no one wants to go out and eat these days

over a year ago

Snoop Dogg doesn't come cheap.

^^^This ^^^

Fizzle my shizzle

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I find it difficult to fathom how anyone can expect to buy something and have it packaged and transported for free.

I've never used them but I think that's because i'm old school and prefer a 5 min each way walk to spending over the price. Not only that, i've always got food in.

If I did use a service i'd expect to pay for it.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"I find it difficult to fathom how anyone can expect to buy something and have it packaged and transported for free.

I've never used them but I think that's because i'm old school and prefer a 5 min each way walk to spending over the price. Not only that, i've always got food in.

If I did use a service i'd expect to pay for it. "

Same. Who the heck expects any service to be free?

The OPs surprise is astounding.

Winston

Post new Message to Thread