Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Your Christmas Traditions

Jump to newest

By *ady Lick OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We started this a couple of years ago and it's going on right now. It's cold, I'm waiting in the car. It's so busy.

We send the kids into a supermarket to get mine and their dad's stocking fillers.

What things do you guys do?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aughty Couple ABCCouple
over a year ago

West Bromwich

The children have to wake us up with a coffee on Christmas morning, but not before 8am. No presents to be opened before we're up

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We don't have any Christmas traditions apart from the obvious decorating a tree. I didn't realise it until just now .

By *ady Lick OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"The children have to wake us up with a coffee on Christmas morning, but not before 8am. No presents to be opened before we're up"

Good idea. I might try that!

By *ady Lick OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"We don't have any Christmas traditions apart from the obvious decorating a tree. I didn't realise it until just now . "

Killing a poor poinsettia?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We stagger the present opening until finishing opening them all after dinner.... That way, I'm never short of volunteers to wash up and clear away!

over a year ago

"We started this a couple of years ago and it's going on right now. It's cold, I'm waiting in the car. It's so busy.

We send the kids into a supermarket to get mine and their dad's stocking fillers.

What things do you guys do? "

Thats a great idea, might give that a try when our eldest is old enough to take the youngest out with her

We always stand in the garden on xmas eve and look to the sky to see if we can see any red lights in the sky (because obviously thats rudolf guiding the sleigh) and then we put a carrot and a magic key by the back door and leave a mince pie and a glass of rose out for Santa , then its bath, christmas story and bedtime. It's hard work but its so worth it to see their little faces.

By *aughty Couple ABCCouple
over a year ago

West Bromwich

"The children have to wake us up with a coffee on Christmas morning, but not before 8am. No presents to be opened before we're up

Good idea. I might try that!"

When they were younger the presents were in our room so on Christmas morning we'd all be in our room for the present opening

By *ady Lick OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"We stagger the present opening until finishing opening them all after dinner.... That way, I'm never short of volunteers to wash up and clear away! "

We stagger it as well. We have 3 kids who usually come in our room to open the stockings. This year we'll do it downstairs after breakfast so our puppy can do his at the same time!

By *ady Lick OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"We started this a couple of years ago and it's going on right now. It's cold, I'm waiting in the car. It's so busy.

What things do you guys do?

Thats a great idea, might give that a try when our eldest is old enough to take the youngest out with her

We always stand in the garden on xmas eve and look to the sky to see if we can see any red lights in the sky (because obviously thats rudolf guiding the sleigh) and then we put a carrot and a magic key by the back door and leave a mince pie and a glass of rose out for Santa , then its bath, christmas story and bedtime. It's hard work but its so worth it to see their little faces. "

What's up? Don't you like rose? Lol. We used to do oats and glitter but mine are a bit old for all that now!

over a year ago

My only tradition is watching Die Hard at least once either tomorrow or on Christmas Day.

If I’m feeling gangster, I’ll watch Die Hard tomorrow, Die Hard 2 on Christmas Day.

over a year ago

"We stagger the present opening until finishing opening them all after dinner.... That way, I'm never short of volunteers to wash up and clear away!

We stagger it as well. We have 3 kids who usually come in our room to open the stockings. This year we'll do it downstairs after breakfast so our puppy can do his at the same time! "

I love it when all the kids jump on our bed to open their stockings

over a year ago

Christmas eve box for the kids- new pyjamas, funky marshmallows, hot chocolate, Christmas movie and a popcorn.

My native traditional dinner on Christmas eve (after we spot a first star in the sky!).. sharing the wafer with nativity images.. and wishes. Empty plate at dinner table if anyone knocks and is lonely on that evening.

By *ady Lick OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"My only tradition is watching Die Hard at least once either tomorrow or on Christmas Day.

If I’m feeling gangster, I’ll watch Die Hard tomorrow, Die Hard 2 on Christmas Day. "

My boys suggested watching that

over a year ago

"My only tradition is watching Die Hard at least once either tomorrow or on Christmas Day.

If I’m feeling gangster, I’ll watch Die Hard tomorrow, Die Hard 2 on Christmas Day.

My boys suggested watching that "

Well done boys.

over a year ago

Christmas Eve buffet at my house which the kids generally sort out because they love it! They can choose two items each and the rest of my family can also. My middle son is making mock tails this year.

By *hisisntpofMan
over a year ago

bristol

We used to just let the kids go mental ,open the lot ,their faces were worth every penny,not good at 5 in the morning after a skinfull ,just gutted theyve grown up now ,it was a bastard getting them to sleep though .but still the best xmas's ever

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

We have absolutely heaps of little traditions. Every year my mum gets me the double issue radio times and I get her a pointsettia that's dead by new year. I buy her a calendar and write everyone's birthdays into it so she doesn't forget, she buys me a box of New Berry Fruits, I buy her Anton Berg marzipan disks (which are always met with "oh you shouldn't, they're dead expensive" as she's biting into the first one!).

Christmas eve I've opted out of this year, but normally we go to church at 5 to see my cousins' kids in the nativity and coo over them all dressed as lambs and shepherds and angels, then we go back to a cousin's house for jacket potatoes and swap presents when we're there because none of us are organised enough to have them wrapped before Christmas eve.

When I get home I normally read a good spooky ghost story before bed. Not sure why that became a tradition but it's something my family have always done.

Boxing day it's a cousin's daughter's birthday so we all pile round to my aunty's to play charades and name that tune and whatever mad game my cousin has found that seems a laugh and can be played by the little kids as easily as the adults. My aunty cooks chips and we have chip batches, gorgeously bland after the rich food on Christmas day.

All the kids are giddy showing everyone what they got for Christmas and it's a generally lovely evening.

Then everyone goes home and me and one of my cousins spend the rest of the night gossiping and calling everyone fit to burn while we tidy up for my aunty.

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Whilst I always do the dinner, I have this knack of not looking surprised at the gifts Mrs Shady has bought ouradult kids when inside I'm thinking WTF! And saying " I bet you weren't expecting that now were you"

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

"The children have to wake us up with a coffee on Christmas morning, but not before 8am. No presents to be opened before we're up

Good idea. I might try that!"

My 14 year old said last night. "I don't want to be up before 10am". Thats fine by me, but I'll be up at normal time. So many years of school runs, I can't sleep in. But it's the quite before the storm.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We don't have any Christmas traditions apart from the obvious decorating a tree. I didn't realise it until just now .

Killing a poor poinsettia? "

Ooo yes the poor thing

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I live on my own but still put everyones wrapped presents under the tree. I also watch Scrooge starring Albert Finney.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Well I've just had beans on toast (only thing I had in) and then my Google pics did that thing where it shows you "on this day" and there was a photo of beans on toast.

So apparently that's mine for Xmas eve before work.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Since my children were little we've always let them open one small present on Christmas Eve-usually pyjamas.

This evolved into pyjamas, hot chocolate and mug, something for the bath and sweets for the grandchildren, long before Christmas Eve boxes became a thing.

It gives them something to occupy them with Christmas Eve night and they are relaxed for bed.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Well I've just had beans on toast (only thing I had in) and then my Google pics did that thing where it shows you "on this day" and there was a photo of beans on toast.

So apparently that's mine for Xmas eve before work."

That would do me, if I could eat beans...or toast.

I fucking miss beans on toast

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Well I've just had beans on toast (only thing I had in) and then my Google pics did that thing where it shows you "on this day" and there was a photo of beans on toast.

So apparently that's mine for Xmas eve before work.

That would do me, if I could eat beans...or toast.

I fucking miss beans on toast "

Was my last tin, so tomorrow it'll be toast

Post new Message to Thread