Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Living in Athens

Jump to newest

By *arkSuitedBooted OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

Has anybody lived in Athens? If so, for long? Would you move there permanently?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Haven’t but have been there on holiday

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

"Haven’t but have been there on holiday "

Me too

over a year ago

Ive been to the island of Kos 3 times, i wouldnt say greece is a great place to live if you also needed to work what with the economy and all, but if you had a lot of money to live off of then living in a reasonably sozed town with one of the major cities close by is your best bet. Especially somewhere along the coast lines. A lot of beautiful scenery and architecture and has a rich culture and history. I would love to have a holiday home on Kos myself

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

was nr by for a bit with work, its a lovely place, but the goverment make trying to do anything a nightmare, like local planning etc, and not sure if you can live there easily as a uk person without jumping throu hoops think france x10

personaly i wouldnt live there, also found the people fairly rude, dispite me learning the language, didnt like outsiders much.

my advice would be try it in a rented place for a bit and see how it goes, and for sure learn the lingo, hope it works out for you, and be sure to tell us how it goes, best of luck

over a year ago

"Haven’t but have been there on holiday

Me too "

Was beautiful just for a holiday not shour about living there though

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Yeah

over a year ago

Not athens but i lived on lesvos a greek island for 6 months working in a restaurant.

The bureaucracy seemed to be as bad if not worse than here, being in the EU and crippled by debt might be the cause of this the locals hated it.

The hospital in Mytilini (lesvos capital) was diabolical, blood covered floors, confidential papers left out in open, this was just 1 hospital mind.

Their tourism trade (huge part of their economy) has been devastated by this ongoing drama but this could turnaround massively in years ahead.

Still i have relatives who have lived there with kids for years and are adamant to never return here to live if they can help it, the climate (heat hits you at first but you soon get used to it and the storms are biblical), people, food are positives compared to here.

Go for it if you have some way of living there this place is doomed at least Greece will always have its positive attributes despite it's troubles.

Yassou!

over a year ago

I'm from Crete, lived in Athens during the winter months for a few years. Shout if you need any info.

over a year ago

Isn't Greece an economic basket case?

Did you give up on the US of A?

over a year ago

Unless you come under the withdrawal agreement you can't stay for more than 90 days thanks to Brexit unfortunately unless of course you have very deep pockets for a golden visa.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I wouldn’t go there.

They’ve lost their marbles

By *ermite12ukMan
over a year ago

Solihull and Brentwood

"I wouldn’t go there.

They’ve lost their marbles "

By *arkSuitedBooted OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Isn't Greece an economic basket case?

Did you give up on the US of A?

"

Exploring my options

over a year ago

I ve spent almost 5 years in Athens.

The climate is a big plus if you wanna spend winter months here.But in summers you wont stand the heatwaves,especially if you re not used to it.

The city centre has a wonderful vibe and it s considered to be safe enough,although rent prices has increased almost by 100% since I firstly moved in 2012.

For me the biggest problem when I was living in Athens, was the lack of access to some piece of nature.Athens was built quite fast since the 50s without any plan,so you can t find a park to walk your dog and also the beaches around the city seem to be very polluted.

So,if i had to answer your question,I wouldn t live in Athens,but I d easily spend my winters here.Probably September to May

over a year ago

Moving to Greece is my ten year plan

I love Athens and spend a lot of time there

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

I would move to Greece and your the islands until I find one where I could open a coffee shop. It may take some time because of the sheer number of beautiful islands to visit.

I really like Athens, I've been there a few times but it is really hot at the height of summer.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I believe someone took them from them, not same as losing

over a year ago

Happy New Year, MM! Nice to see you back.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I believe someone took them from them, not same as losing "

Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to someone who said they lost their marbles. I thought I had pressed reply+quote

Post new Message to Thread