Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Best friend...

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

A post on another thread about somebody being looked after by a friend made me think what actually makes a best friend?

Is it about how long you have known them? Or is it more about what we have been through with them? Or what they have done you you?

Or?

How many of those do we need?

Can we have too many?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I'e known my best friend since infants school. We are very similar in outlook on life. One of my brothers is also a best friend.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have different best friends for different things

Not one of them knows the exact same things about me.

I'm at my most comfortable with a small number of friends I have regular (ish) contact with

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I have two best friends. I've known one since 1996, we went through a heap of work crap together, have seen parents die and relationships break down, we've supported each other even when vehemently disagreeing with choices the other has made.

We talk about family, work, friends, but when it comes to sex and relationships they're referred to only obliquely. She knows that my sex life is unconventional but that's all.

We meet for coffee every Sunday and are involved in each other's family events. I'm much closer to her than I am to any of my family.

My other best friend I met just over ten years ago, slept with for a few weeks before realising we were much better as friends. We discuss everything - he's my safety person and I know I can tell him anything.

He doesn't know my family outside of their interactions with me on Facebook, and they don't know him. We don't physically see each other as often as I'd like but we chat online most days. Through lockdowns we cheered each other up with random little gifts and if I'm feeling anxious or my OCD is flaring I know I can go to him and not feel a nuisance or that he's judging.

I'm blessed to have both in my life.

over a year ago

Friend's and family members will be the first to fuck over in my experience. Friendship is overated. You can only ever really depend on yourself.

over a year ago

I met my best friend 7 years ago. I would do anything for her. She's my soulmate.

over a year ago

"Friend's and family members will be the first to fuck over in my experience. Friendship is overated. You can only ever really depend on yourself. "

Cheery!

over a year ago

"Friend's and family members will be the first to fuck over in my experience. Friendship is overated. You can only ever really depend on yourself.

Cheery!"

Sorry

over a year ago

"A post on another thread about somebody being looked after by a friend made me think what actually makes a best friend?

Is it about how long you have known them? Or is it more about what we have been through with them? Or what they have done you you?

Or?

Can we have too many? "

For me a best friend is like having another bother or sister. One of my oldest and dearest friend lives in LA. We may only speak once a month at best . But I know if I needed him he would be here like a shot, and I would do the same for him.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have two women friends who I'm quite close with but Mr N is my best friend. My dad is the only other person I would describe as a best friend but he obviously comes a way behind my husband.

What makes them best friends is that I know they have my best interests at heart, I can trust them with my life and they've got my back. If something good or horrible happens the first person I tell is my best friend

By *al01Man
over a year ago

solihull

I have no friends

over a year ago

Sadly, I drifted apart from my best friend and didn’t realise it was happening until it had. I’m left with a few people I know and call mates, but lack that extra that would leave me feeling like I have the best friend type.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think there are a lot of people who have few friends. I know some people who have a very wide circle of friends and acquaintances but many more who have a very small number they would call friend.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I don't think I have a best friend. I've been able to make friends wherever I go but it's never been more than surface level friendship as I've never been good at keeping in touch with them once both our situations change.

I've tried to do better and now think I have a couple of really good mates I can talk to but not sure if they feel the same way about me.

over a year ago

I never argued with my best friend. There is understanding without many words. There is closeness without seeing each other every day. There is joy in however little time we get. And there is never enough of it. When tough time call There loyalty support and being reliable. But there is also little pressure or expectation. We just enjoy each other.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

I don’t have loads of friends but I definately have a circle that I’d do anything for. I tend to skip the acquaintance part completely and go straight to ‘my kinda human’ my best mate has been like a sister since we were 3. She’s been through my whole journey of life. But there are people that have joined the circle at different times and they’re all important in different ways. We all have our roles to others.. the talker, the listener, the feeder, the joker. Friendship takes so many forms. Having hit the floor and been picked up by others I think it’s the greatest gift to be a friend to someone else.

over a year ago

For us - best friends can present in many different ways. Mr is my best friend, and has been for over 8 years now. He understands me and always has from the moment we first started talking, he knew things about me from the way I acted. Empathised and helped me. Always supporting and cheering me on in whatever I do.

He has a male best friend - they can go months without speaking but as soon as they're together it's just two old friends together again. My friends are husbands friends so.. I'll take some more friends I made myself please

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Friend's and family members will be the first to fuck over in my experience. Friendship is overated. You can only ever really depend on yourself. "

That’s a bleak outlook. I’m glad I don’t feel the same way.

Gbat

over a year ago

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I've known my best friend for 45 years I can tell her stuff I would never tell anyone else she came over for coffee this afternoon x

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Thank you everyone for your lovely contributions - really interesting to read the different perspectives.

I have a couple of friends that date primary school times and while we don't see each other often (it can be a decade sometimes), when we do meet it is like it was yesterday. There is a friendship, an intimacy that does not seem to match what I have with very good friends I met perhaps 10 years ago.

That said, I have made great friends over the years but really true friends , the ones you can call anytime in an emergency... they are hard to find and I think I could name probably 4.

Interesting perspective on husbands/ partners being best friends - to me that is amazing if a partner can also be a best friend. Ultimate form of trust and being comfortable in each other's company.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I have a close friend circle, but not one best friend as I'm not emotionally available enough to place the trust in one person to have that kind of relationship

over a year ago

I have acquaintances not really friends.

I am a shit friend tbh, happy in my own company

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

I have a close group of 7 wonderful woman who I have met at different stages in life some from dance classes as a little 3yr old, some from primary school and the rest in high school, we have all come together as a group of friends over the years and remained like a dysfunctional family ever since.

I wouldn’t be without any of them xx

over a year ago

My best friend been through hell together so will always have my back!

over a year ago

Only have one best friend known him since junior school for me he's some that I trust get knows all my dark secrets we are always there for each other financially and emotionally I've lived with him he's lived with me over the yrs.

over a year ago

I have two. One guy is my oldest and best friend and we can just be ourselves....basically act like children! My newest friend, (with benefits), has become someone much more than a sexual pleasure. We can talk about absolutely anything and everything is discussed with honesty. I consider her to be my closest female friend, in mind and body. Nothing lasts forever but I'm convinced we'll never lose touch

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
over a year ago

Markfield

"I have different best friends for different things

Not one of them knows the exact same things about me.

I'm at my most comfortable with a small number of friends I have regular (ish) contact with "

This is similar to me. I have a best friend from college, a best friend from uni and a group of 3 local friends that I see regularly both individually and as a group. I have other close friends but I’d say those mentioned are my go to girls

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I don’t use the term BF of BFF, I have 2-4 people who have permission to speak into my life and I’ll listen and would hope they are close to me forever, beyond that around 12 good friends who I’d cry if they moved country etc but accept people come and go.

For me the close ones are about very high levels of wisdom, insight, love, honesty, loyalty.

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

I have close friends but I don't think I have best friends. Think that probably stems from being stabbed in the back by a so called best friends ages ago has made me cautious who I open up to nowadays. But I would do anything for my closest friends though

over a year ago

For me, my best friend I have known each other for years. But we aren’t in each other’s pockets, we are there as soon as the other needs, even if just to listen to a rant.

She was an army wife, so lived abroad in different bases over the years. But as soon as we are together, it’s like we’ve spent no time apart at all and straight back to where we left off. I think it’s the energy connection, as well as what you have been through together, simply being there when one needs you (even if just over the phone) and the trust built as friends knowing they will call you out in your own crap, but be there to support through whatever is going on.

I had friends I’ve spent more time in person with, but wouldn’t consider them a bff.

over a year ago

"A post on another thread about somebody being looked after by a friend made me think what actually makes a best friend?

Or?

Can we have too many? "

To me a best friend is about a connection you have with someone, they operate on your wavelength even of you're two totally different persons xx

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I have a very close circle of a few friends I trust and value. One of them dropped in a gift this morning which says ‘ thank you for being a great friend’

As saffron said further up, the circle changes slightly as we introduce new friends - some stay, some don’t. For me a friend is someone who doesn’t talk about each other to the rest of the circle, nor would I do it them. We all respect one another …. And I believe respect is the key to friendships.

By *ad_Bod_ToddMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire

A number of different things spring to mind over what makes a best friend. In my experience the best friendships are ultimately forged in the fire of adversity.

When you couldn't quite manage on your own, when you needed someone else for support, when you helped someone just because you could see and feel their pain and didn't want anything in return but to make things a little better or easier for them, when you put their interests above your own.

A friend will ask you how you are every now and then. A good friend will help you move house. A best friend will help you move a body!

over a year ago

My best friend knows where the bodies are hidden and has access to the gun lockers

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

Not necessarily best friends occur due to how long known each other but in a way it does help. It's more about that connection you both have, being there for each other through good and bad times

over a year ago

"Not necessarily best friends occur due to how long known each other but in a way it does help. It's more about that connection you both have, being there for each other through good and bad times"

100%

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I've known my best friend 42 years about! We met being nearby neibours we still fairly living close! She is 12 years older than me so 78 this year! We have told each other things we have not told anyone else we trust each other completely! X

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

My v best friend I've known 36 years since school.

She's been there for me through all the losses I've had a d rushed out of work for me ,when I've needed her .

I'd do the same for her ,our friendship goes much deeper than any of my others.

over a year ago

I've known my best friend 52 years and as the years have gone on never fell out and it feels like she's more of a sister than a friend

over a year ago

My best friend is gone for her own good i miss her loads tho

By *unandgamegeekMan
over a year ago

Bolton

I used to have a best friend years ago but not anymore.

I knew her since secondary school. In 2016, we became a couple. Things then got complicated. She began making plans, pressured me into making a decision that I wasn't ready to make and before I knew it, she dumped me by text and cut ties with me just days before Christmas.

It broke my heart but now I have better friends who have been there for me and always will

over a year ago

I’ve known mine since I was around 9

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

I have two best friends one I’ve known for 34yrs the other for 31yrs - I would be lost without then we have gone through life together, there everything and more to me xx

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I have no human best friends. My dogs are my best friends.

I have friends and I have acquaintances, but best friends never really have for many years now.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I don’t have a best friend. I have a limited amount of friends and I prefer it that way if I’m honest. I don’t have the emotional energy to give to many people.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

I dont really have a best friend, but what friends I do have are pretty much all women

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

My best friend died 20yrs ago. She was unique and not replaceable. I have friends but not a best friend through choice.

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

Known mine since I was 11.

Although I have many friends but she is the ones that’s been around the longest.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Some of m y friends date back to primary school - I am a loyal person and do not give up on people in difficult times.

I guess, some friendships are there for a season, some for a reason and then there are those (the ones for a reason) that can turn into a lifelong friendship/ relationship.

over a year ago

Don't have any anymore. Not since secondary. We just drifted sadly. Most are now just friendly colleagues.

over a year ago

Or?

Can we have too many? "

A true friend is one who has been with you through everything.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Don't have any anymore. Not since secondary. We just drifted sadly. Most are now just friendly colleagues."

We change as we get older, don't we?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Or?

Can we have too many?

A true friend is one who has been with you through everything."

I get that completely - friendship is not about the rosy times - it tends to prove its worth in more difficult times, doesn't it?

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I'm very close to my daughters so don't really need any.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I'm very close to my daughters so don't really need any."

I am close to my kids as well... I get where you are coming from.

But you know I sometimes feel a bit guilty if I look at them as friends because I worry that I burden them with stuff that I should not?

Does that make any sense?

Post new Message to Thread