Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What product is the biggest rip off

Jump to newest

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Morning all . Just bought some razor blades no problem then got in the car then thought wow they are pricey. Any other products spring to mind

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Juice Plus

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Velcro fasteners..

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Herbal life

Reply privately

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Elastoplast

Reply privately

By *awtybikerMan
over a year ago

Barnoldswick

"Morning all . Just bought some razor blades no problem then got in the car then thought wow they are pricey. Any other products spring to mind "

I gave up buying big name razor blades a few years ago, as they were just getting ridiculously priced. Buy them now online, in bulk, from a company called Clean Shaven, certainly works out cheaper for me.

Reply privately

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Morning all . Just bought some razor blades no problem then got in the car then thought wow they are pricey. Any other products spring to mind

I gave up buying big name razor blades a few years ago, as they were just getting ridiculously priced. Buy them now online, in bulk, from a company called Clean Shaven, certainly works out cheaper for me."

thanks mate will check the site

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Electricity

Fuel

Water

Medicines

Dental treatment

Public transport

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any magic diet pills.

Some high end designer stuff.

Holidays during school holidays.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Bottled water

Branded medicine

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Petrol

Reply privately

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

I don’t know the selling price but a can of Red Bull costs 7.5p to produce.

Reply privately

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Car parts from the main dealers. Based on how much they can get people to pay , not the cost.

Reply privately

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

Dyson hair straighteners

Reply privately

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Dyson hair straighteners "
take your word on that . Got none no more x

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

The £5 site supporter fee. I mean I should get at least 2 shags per month for that

Reply privately

over a year ago

Womens underwear. In fact any woman's clothing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Products that advertise as for men and separate ones for women. Women's are always the more expensive option.

Sanitary towels - I have to pay for the privilege of bleeding every month?

Reply privately

over a year ago

anything by Apple

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

That's why I have a beard

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"Dyson hair straighteners "

Dyson fans.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Watching sports either on TV or in person.

Reply privately

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

"Morning all . Just bought some razor blades no problem then got in the car then thought wow they are pricey. Any other products spring to mind "

They are an absolute rip off plus they are very clever (Gillette that is) where they make several types that look very similar. The amount of times I've bought the wrong ones and you only find out after you've ripped the packaging apart so can't return them !

Reply privately

By *uyforfun88869Man
over a year ago

Leigh

APPLE products

Reply privately

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"Products that advertise as for men and separate ones for women. Women's are always the more expensive option.

Sanitary towels - I have to pay for the privilege of bleeding every month?"

Not really, you pay for the privilege of people going to work every day designing, making and operating machines that make these products and the raw materials used so that you can manage your period more comfortably than without them. You may or may not (depending on your shopping choices) also pay for a brand name. I do understand that people get upset by profiteering over sanitary products but don't understand the complaints about paying for them. We all pay for our food, our water - things we HAVE to have in order to live. We then pay for things like toothpaste and loo roll that make living a far more pleasant and hygienic experience, I just don't understand why sanitary products alone of all the things we pay for should be uniquely free?

Maybe it's just I'm a man and don't understand but I can say that having worked for a company that (at other sites) produced some of the absorbant materials used in sanitary products, I'm glad they charged as it meant I got paid for working.

For many years now thanks to surgery I've not needed to consider these items but when I did and they were paid from out of a joint account I never considered it an outrage that I was required to put some of my wages towards buying something that others had manufactured.

Mr

Reply privately

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Morning all . Just bought some razor blades no problem then got in the car then thought wow they are pricey. Any other products spring to mind

They are an absolute rip off plus they are very clever (Gillette that is) where they make several types that look very similar. The amount of times I've bought the wrong ones and you only find out after you've ripped the packaging apart so can't return them !"

agreed. A chap earlier mentioned a site called clean shaven said he bought in bulk worked out cheaper

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Unecessary “miracle” health supplements. Some specific stuff like vitamin c and d is great, and stuff that is needed where people actually have deficiencies, but fortunes are spent on supplements that give no benefit.

Prams. Absolutely no need for them to be so expensive.

School fees.

At the other rend of the scale, a good annual travel insurance policy fantastic value (when we can travel, that is). Car insurance isn’t though

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

They are an absolute rip off plus they are very clever (Gillette that is) where they make several types that look very similar. The amount of times I've bought the wrong ones and you only find out after you've ripped the packaging apart so can't return them !agreed. A chap earlier mentioned a site called clean shaven said he bought in bulk worked out cheaper "

I thought that site might be something different ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Products that advertise as for men and separate ones for women. Women's are always the more expensive option.

Not really, you pay for the privilege of people going to work every day designing, making and operating machines that make these products and the raw materials used so that you can manage your period more comfortably than without them. You may or may not (depending on your shopping choices) also pay for a brand name. I do understand that people get upset by profiteering over sanitary products but don't understand the complaints about paying for them. We all pay for our food, our water - things we HAVE to have in order to live. We then pay for things like toothpaste and loo roll that make living a far more pleasant and hygienic experience, I just don't understand why sanitary products alone of all the things we pay for should be uniquely free?

Maybe it's just I'm a man and don't understand but I can say that having worked for a company that (at other sites) produced some of the absorbant materials used in sanitary products, I'm glad they charged as it meant I got paid for working.

For many years now thanks to surgery I've not needed to consider these items but when I did and they were paid from out of a joint account I never considered it an outrage that I was required to put some of my wages towards buying something that others had manufactured.

Mr"

It's more so the fact that it's not a choice we have menstrual cycles. I understand where you're coming from with food, water etc but women AND men need these. It is only cis women that need sanitary products (the majority of the time anyway). There are alternatives, reusable cups being one of those which I have used but sometimes other issues mean these "cheaper in the long run" options aren't feasible. Maybe I'm just annoyed at the fact I don't want to have a menstrual cycle but I'm supposedly too young to make such a choice for myself which means I continue buying these products to make my week as comfortable as possible.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cost of childcare at nursery’s One just quoted me £58 a day

Reply privately

By *akes handymanMan
over a year ago

In the Lakes

"Bottled water

Branded medicine "

Boil your water and save it in the freezer… saves money

Reply privately

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

"Any magic diet pills.

Holidays during school holidays. "

Particularly some high-end designer stuff that looks like something anyone who could crochet should be able to make. But just by slapping a designer label on it, it could be sold for silly money.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Cost of childcare at nursery’s One just quoted me £58 a day "

Lots of stuff with regards to kids is a ripoff. Wrapped up in the “don’t you want the best for your children” guilt trip.

Reply privately

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

Anything made by Apple

Reply privately

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

£58 a day??? Are you sure they didn't mean per week? That would still be a lot, but probably easier to understand. What is included, trip to Disneyland daily?

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Any magic diet pills.

Holidays during school holidays.

Particularly some high-end designer stuff that looks like something anyone who could crochet should be able to make. But just by slapping a designer label on it, it could be sold for silly money. "

Yeah. Some designers produce great designs and quality tailoring / materials, but others are just unforgivably expensive. My most expensive suit has been with me since the late 90’s and is as good as new. An indulgence / extravagance at the time, but good value in hindsight.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Women’s hairdressers!

Reply privately

over a year ago

You need to switch to using a double edged safety razor. Less than 10 quid for 100 blades and a closer shave than any cartridge razor will give you

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Anything made by Apple "

Very happy with my apple phones, but would never bother with their computers ... much higher prices for something that does less.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Printer ink, gold and diamonds.

Not forgetting waxing strips.

Anything in places like Dubai, Saudi, London etc that are money pits, with hotel rooms that can cost stupid money for one night.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Anything made by Apple

Very happy with my apple phones, but would never bother with their computers ... much higher prices for something that does less. "

That's why I get mine second hand. This iMac cost me less than £100.

Reply privately

By *cidcassual88Man
over a year ago

Glasshoughton

Biggist ripp off is .....

Velcro .........

Reply privately

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

Right now Redken Curvaceous champoo 1000ml and conditioner 1000ml , i woust to pay for both £56,just two months ago and now it costs £115 minimum

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Hotel minibars. Wankers

Reply privately

over a year ago

Robux. Hats off to the genius who's got all these parents working real jobs to buy virtual clothes and houses for wee virtual people!

Reply privately

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Breakfast cereal bars

It’s all packaging which is twice the size it needs to be . That has to be illegal under some misleading law or something!!

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I paid £820 a month for a year, and that wasn’t full time as there was one half day / week thrown in. I saved with Care4 vouchers that were salary sacrificed however you can see why some parents don’t return to work with these costs.

Reply privately

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Those silly little ear phones everyone is using these days, £150+ !! Guess who the mugs are ??

Reply privately

By *ldbutrandyMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

"I don’t know the selling price but a can of Red Bull costs 7.5p to produce. "

Just curious. How do you know the cost to make but don't know the retail cost.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Those American sweet shops we have here now that want to charge £9 for a packet of crisps

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

Mr

It's more so the fact that it's not a choice we have menstrual cycles. I understand where you're coming from with food, water etc but women AND men need these. It is only cis women that need sanitary products (the majority of the time anyway). There are alternatives, reusable cups being one of those which I have used but sometimes other issues mean these "cheaper in the long run" options aren't feasible. Maybe I'm just annoyed at the fact I don't want to have a menstrual cycle but I'm supposedly too young to make such a choice for myself which means I continue buying these products to make my week as comfortable as possible."

This has just lead to an interesting chat with her ladyship. It is the fact that this is the only cost of living that is uniquely female (used in the biological sense) that makes it feel unfair - and I totally agree it does feel that way. We just couldn't decide if it actually is morally and ethically unfair.

We both feel that for those who are poor there should be an acknowledgement of this cost - a woman on benefits will have less free money than a man though it could be argued that on average a man will require more calories so have a higher food bill. A way of getting free products for those in financial difficulty would absolutely be something that I would support, I'm just unsure about universal free sanitary products in a society where I can't get a free dentist - and nor can anyone else.

I'm also aware that my life biases my views, in a fair heterosexual relationship female hygiene is a cost shared by both men and women. As I'm one of the lucky ones living a relatively affluent heteronormal life and this tends to be the lense I see society through.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Pizzas

There is a reason there are so many sellers filling empty shops. High profit. If people tried making their own they are better and soooo much cheaper...

Reply privately

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

coffee

Reply privately

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

"Marmite" it's rubbish and belongs in the bin

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sex toys, i always look at the price and go wow, yes i still buy them but i do think they are overpriced

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

This has just lead to an interesting chat with her ladyship. It is the fact that this is the only cost of living that is uniquely female (used in the biological sense) that makes it feel unfair - and I totally agree it does feel that way. We just couldn't decide if it actually is morally and ethically unfair.

We both feel that for those who are poor there should be an acknowledgement of this cost - a woman on benefits will have less free money than a man though it could be argued that on average a man will require more calories so have a higher food bill. A way of getting free products for those in financial difficulty would absolutely be something that I would support, I'm just unsure about universal free sanitary products in a society where I can't get a free dentist - and nor can anyone else.

I'm also aware that my life biases my views, in a fair heterosexual relationship female hygiene is a cost shared by both men and women. As I'm one of the lucky ones living a relatively affluent heteronormal life and this tends to be the lense I see society through.

Mr"

Thank you for not jumping down my throat and taking the time to actually reflect on different view points. I'm lucky that I can afford it no quarms, and I do feel for those who can't afford the basic sanitary products. On my road to discovering reusable products I bought quite a few cups to gift to women, all were graciously received and hopefully the end of buying sanitary items for themselves. One small thing can free up lots of smaller amounts of money that can equate to food for themselves or their children.

I guess it's also whether the cost of sanitary products has an impact on you or whether you're actually that interested in it as to how you view the issue. There is a red box project that is a NPO charity which provides sanitary products to women who may not otherwise be able to afford them. (should anyone be silently following this and can sympathise/empathise)

Reply privately

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"Womens underwear. In fact any woman's clothing "

Apart from blue - that's worth every penny.

Reply privately

By *an hjCouple
over a year ago

Stowmarket

Printer ink

Train fares

Hospital car parks

Road tax

Reply privately

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Weddings and everything associated with them. I looked at 'real' wedding dresses when we were engaged and could not justify the price for something I'd wear once. I got a white summer dress for £15 instead

Reply privately

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Posh nosh.

I just don't get why people pay so much for food where the chef has given you a half portion & added a flower on top.

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Anything by “Supreme”.

Reply privately

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

""Marmite" it's rubbish and belongs in the bin "

Nooooo!!!

Reply privately

By *aul DeUther-OneMan
over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

Fabreeze and all that other air freshener type stuff. For goodness sake- just open a window

Reply privately

over a year ago

Male entry fees to swing clubs

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Posh nosh.

I just don't get why people pay so much for food where the chef has given you a half portion & added a flower on top. "

Depends!

Some of the most expensive meals I have ever had have also been among the best value, due to quality of ingredients, recipes, execution, quality, memorability.

Some “posh” food may be a ripoff, but not all

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

"

Thank you for not jumping down my throat and taking the time to actually reflect on different view points. I'm lucky that I can afford it no quarms, and I do feel for those who can't afford the basic sanitary products. On my road to discovering reusable products I bought quite a few cups to gift to women, all were graciously received and hopefully the end of buying sanitary items for themselves. One small thing can free up lots of smaller amounts of money that can equate to food for themselves or their children.

I guess it's also whether the cost of sanitary products has an impact on you or whether you're actually that interested in it as to how you view the issue. There is a red box project that is a NPO charity which provides sanitary products to women who may not otherwise be able to afford them. (should anyone be silently following this and can sympathise/empathise) "

Hey, nothing to thank me for, I genuinely thought the same about your response, it can be really hard on here to express a difference of opinion without it becoming heated or personal, I would far rather exchange ideas and learn.

I absolutely agree with your comments about affordability and charity work. I think sanitary products are overlooked way too much when we think of helping others. Anyone who is genuinely struggling with the cost of feminine hygiene is going to be struggling with a great deal else besides and anyone in this situation should be helped by society.

Mr

Reply privately

By *reamblueMan
over a year ago

London

Replica football shirts. £100. Looks like it cost 10p to make in Bangladesh sweat shop

Reply privately

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

"Robux. Hats off to the genius who's got all these parents working real jobs to buy virtual clothes and houses for wee virtual people! "

I feel your pain!!

Reply privately

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

"

Mr

I guess it's also whether the cost of sanitary products has an impact on you or whether you're actually that interested in it as to how you view the issue. There is a red box project that is a NPO charity which provides sanitary products to women who may not otherwise be able to afford them. (should anyone be silently following this and can sympathise/empathise) "

They do the red box at schools too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Robux. Hats off to the genius who's got all these parents working real jobs to buy virtual clothes and houses for wee virtual people!

I feel your pain!! "

Glad I'm not the only sucker

Reply privately

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

"Cost of childcare at nursery’s One just quoted me £58 a day

£58 a day??? Are you sure they didn't mean per week? That would still be a lot, but probably easier to understand. What is included, trip to Disneyland daily? "

£58 a week, just over 11 quid a day.

Not too sure how you work out the rent, council tax, insurance, heating, fixtures and fittings, wages etc., etc and god forbid they may like to make a profit.

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

No doubt it's 58 a day.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Robux. Hats off to the genius who's got all these parents working real jobs to buy virtual clothes and houses for wee virtual people!

I feel your pain!!

Glad I'm not the only sucker "

And blinking Fornite, season passes and blinking skins arghhh

Reply privately

over a year ago

None of you are probably aware of this joy and purse sucker of a ‘thing’, but I have a Saniflo (macerator) toilet in one of the bathrooms, and I cannot begin to tell you how much grief it has given me over the years.

In fact, had I been aware, I’d never have bought my flat.

I’d love to ram a pineapple up the arse of the inventor

So in short, the Saniflo is my answer to your question

Reply privately

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 21/12/21 15:22:14]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I paid £820 a month for a year, and that wasn’t full time as there was one half day / week thrown in. I saved with Care4 vouchers that were salary sacrificed however you can see why some parents don’t return to work with these costs. "

At one point I had 3 kids in nursery and it took my entire wage even with the salary sacrifice. I think if it was now I couldn't work. The cost is exorbitant but actually I think good care for young children is worth it.

Reply privately

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Hair removal wax is a big rip off

Reply privately

over a year ago

Usually, anything bought on holiday

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Those American sweet shops we have here now that want to charge £9 for a packet of crisps "

Those expensive potato chips and candy grrrr

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I tried everything to remove limescale from bathroom sink. There was a small patch that just refused to go. Tried white vinegar + water. Soaked overnight. Sink looks like new. Good for stainless steel also.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Art.

Reply privately

By *egasus NobMan
over a year ago

Merton

Printer ink is about £1 or less to make and sold for 10+

Branded clothing

Housing prices

Music

etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lego. Little tiny pieces of plastic and it’s ridiculously overpriced but the kids love it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Printer ink is about £1 or less to make and sold for 10+

Branded clothing

Housing prices

Music

etc

"

Sometimes it’s actually cheaper to buy a new printer that comes with ink than it is to buy an ink cartridge

Reply privately

By *ukeuk888Man
over a year ago

hastings

Center Parcs at weekends and school holidays

Reply privately

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"Elastoplast"

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Male entry fees to swing clubs "

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

Harrods at Christmas is on…. £115,000 for a perfume…

I like a good scent but £115k

Reply privately

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Council Tax after Band A

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

pretty much everything these days, i can remember a night out in tu pub, packet of players cigs, chip tone way home and change from 2 bob

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Council Tax after Band A "

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Harrods at Christmas is on…. £115,000 for a perfume…

I like a good scent but £115k "

Tell me you like to show off without telling me you like to show off

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"APPLE products"

Apple computers actually provide very good value for money compared to their windows and chrome based counterparts

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Christmas

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Milk

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"APPLE products

Apple computers actually provide very good value for money compared to their windows and chrome based counterparts "

Until the screen gets (very easily) cracked.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Tv tax/licence.

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"APPLE products

Apple computers actually provide very good value for money compared to their windows and chrome based counterparts

Until the screen gets (very easily) cracked."

iPhone or apple computer?

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Milk "

You drink milk?

Reply privately

over a year ago

slimming world meals (and club)

Reply privately

By *an hjCouple
over a year ago

Stowmarket

Cold sore cream, £2500 a kilo.

Reply privately

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Electric toothbrush heads - they're more than a whole manual toothbrush - by a long shot!

C

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Milk

You drink milk? "

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Milk

You drink milk?

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bottled water.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Crotch less panties

Reply privately

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

"Crotch less panties"

Awww I love my crotch less panties they make me horny

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Any kind of branded clothes. Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss. All pointless and a massive waste of money when there are cheaper clothes that last as well.

Reply privately

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Try the orange & blue Lidl own brand ones. finally got hacked off with the price of Gilette (a chunk of which seems to go to pay for a bunch of crap footballers who've continuously failed to win a tin cup for well over half a centuary to tell me real me use gilette ). Bought the Lidl one as a trial (about £4 for the razor and single blade), which works great and is about a quid per blade refill (i.e. £5 for a five pack)

So, stop giving your cash to sporting failures and give the own brand a crack

Reply privately

By *esthetic21Man
over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

Balenciagas

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Crotch less panties

Awww I love my crotch less panties they make me horny "

Rip them off!

Reply privately

By *esthetic21Man
over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

"Cold sore cream, £2500 a kilo."
3000 where I live

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

Yeezees

Reply privately

over a year ago

Those non stick george forman grills and air fryers, an oven can do all these jobs. Knife sets, all you need is a cleaver

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"APPLE products

Apple computers actually provide very good value for money compared to their windows and chrome based counterparts "

sorry they are nothing more than a fashion item, always have been, show me an apple product thats better than the equivilant pc/phone at the same price

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"APPLE products

sorry they are nothing more than a fashion item, always have been, show me an apple product thats better than the equivilant pc/phone at the same price"

MacBook air M1

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Those non stick george forman grills and air fryers, an oven can do all these jobs. Knife sets, all you need is a cleaver "

remind me not to meet you in a dark alley

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"APPLE products

sorry they are nothing more than a fashion item, always have been, show me an apple product thats better than the equivilant pc/phone at the same price

MacBook air M1 "

ok fan boys will be fan boys, but sorry dont by it, have used both for years, always go back to pc/android due to price, if that makes me cheap then so be it, but they do what i need for often less than half the price

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Why does a good turkey cost so much? It can cost over £100 for a big bird

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Tv tax/licence."

dont pay mine, havnt missed terestial tv at all

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Why does a good turkey cost so much? It can cost over £100 for a big bird "

your joking

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Why does a good turkey cost so much? It can cost over £100 for a big bird

your joking "

Sadly I am not, but as surprised as you are.

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"APPLE products

MacBook air M1

ok fan boys will be fan boys, but sorry dont by it, have used both for years, always go back to pc/android due to price, if that makes me cheap then so be it, but they do what i need for often less than half the price"

I'm not a fanbboy, as I don't rate the iPhone and use android phones. However I do love macbooks. I only switched because of Windows 8 but have never looked back and wouldn't go back to windows now, still use it at work and prefer Mac os. That they're sexy is a good bonus. iPad are also the easiest tablet for the casual user.

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

your joking

Sadly I am not, but as surprised as you are."

used to be £20 for a good one, anyway horrible things give me a nice chicken everytime, much nicer, and if you need more cook 2, or for that price 10

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"APPLE products

MacBook air M1

ok fan boys will be fan boys, but sorry dont by it, have used both for years, always go back to pc/android due to price, if that makes me cheap then so be it, but they do what i need for often less than half the price"

I've an android phone too because iPhone is not good value but MacBook air M1's performance per £ is much better than windows laptops

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

your joking

used to be £20 for a good one, anyway horrible things give me a nice chicken everytime, much nicer, and if you need more cook 2, or for that price 10"

To be fair I prefer a nice free range chicken too. But if you are desperate for turkey, wait till 27th and most places sell them off at fraction of price. Get one, stick in the freezer for another time or even next Xmas

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"APPLE products

MacBook air M1

ok fan boys will be fan boys, but sorry dont by it, have used both for years, always go back to pc/android due to price, if that makes me cheap then so be it, but they do what i need for often less than half the price

I'm not a fanbboy, as I don't rate the iPhone and use android phones. However I do love macbooks. I only switched because of Windows 8 but have never looked back and wouldn't go back to windows now, still use it at work and prefer Mac os. That they're sexy is a good bonus. iPad are also the easiest tablet for the casual user. "

i will give you the ipad, but ive no need for one, but my dad had one in his last years in a home, and he loved it as it was a computer he could use in bed, so yes they are great, they were the first and nobody really ever caught up, but ive used mac computers and not a fan, but we are all different, but i can get the same speck pc for less than half the price, im typing this on a second hand notebook, all i really do with it is serf the web, cost me £200 only a year old, wiped it and re installed it, never let me down, why spend more.

I do uses a high end laptop for other things, motec etc, and you need the power for that, but motec dont support macs and have never made software for them, they are one of the biggest race ecu/datalogger makers in the world, must tell you something

Reply privately

By *enuine MikeMan
over a year ago

Guildford

Houses.

Im fortunately mortgage free but fuck me, house prices are ridiculous for what they actually are

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

your joking

used to be £20 for a good one, anyway horrible things give me a nice chicken everytime, much nicer, and if you need more cook 2, or for that price 10

To be fair I prefer a nice free range chicken too. But if you are desperate for turkey, wait till 27th and most places sell them off at fraction of price. Get one, stick in the freezer for another time or even next Xmas "

not a fan of turkey tbh, plus dont have a big enough freezer lol

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"Houses.

Im fortunately mortgage free but fuck me, house prices are ridiculous for what they actually are"

I share this sentiment, I don't know what would our generation do because wages are not enough to get a mortgage these days

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

your joking

To be fair I prefer a nice free range chicken too. But if you are desperate for turkey, wait till 27th and most places sell them off at fraction of price. Get one, stick in the freezer for another time or even next Xmas

not a fan of turkey tbh, plus dont have a big enough freezer lol"

Certainly not a good reason to get a bigger freezer then

Reply privately

By *rad670Man
over a year ago

South Lakes

Velcro, now that's a proper rip off.

Reply privately

By *enuine MikeMan
over a year ago

Guildford

"Houses.

Im fortunately mortgage free but fuck me, house prices are ridiculous for what they actually are

I share this sentiment, I don't know what would our generation do because wages are not enough to get a mortgage these days "

Precisely

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

yes a mortgage is all but un obtainable for people now, unless they have a big deposit, house prices need to come down to match income, problem is we have a huge older population keeping prices high, around here a starter home is nearly 400k, who can aford that when you earne 30k each?

Reply privately

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"Bottled water

Branded medicine "

Evian. Or as its more accurately known when spelt backwards.......

Winston

Reply privately

By *ommenhimCouple
over a year ago

wigan

Sanitary towels - I have to pay for the privilege of bleeding every month?"

You don’t need to shave your chin every other day?

Reply privately

over a year ago

After shave or perfume

Reply privately

over a year ago

Everything!! The cost of living is getting out of hand for most. Mortgages, Energy, Cars, Fuel, Food..

I genuinely feel for younger people because they’re screwed if it carries on.

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

But yes it's got to be petrol at the minute.

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"But yes it's got to be petrol at the minute. "

its actually not, its very cheap, its the tax on it that makes it expensive

Reply privately

over a year ago

"anything by Apple"

Are they though? They are a tad expensive but hardly a ripoff. Ripoff suggests they cost pennies in the pennies to make. That’s not the case here. LV handbags, Branded Medicines that are out if patent, and ‘Designer’ Colognes/Perfumes I agree. But there’s not 300% margin on a MacBook Pro.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would say designer clothes.

Reply privately

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

"I would say designer clothes.

"

Creativity has its price if the buyer is willing to pay it

Reply privately

By *ustdaveHantsMan
over a year ago

chippenham

Turkey

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Chocolate

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wow! That’s not far off private school fees for non borders (London london of course).

Reply privately

over a year ago

This site

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I would say designer clothes.

Creativity has its price if the buyer is willing to pay it "

If its actually creative using rich fabrics, accessories and unique ideas then fair enough.. if you are willing to pay for someone's name plastered in big font all over.. oh well what's creative about that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I paid £820 a month for a year, and that wasn’t full time as there was one half day / week thrown in. I saved with Care4 vouchers that were salary sacrificed however you can see why some parents don’t return to work with these costs. "

Was paying £600 a month for 4 days a week nearly 18 years ago! Realisation that it cost £7k AFTER tax just to pay someone else to look after your children certainly puts into perspective the cost of having children and also the need to focus on making work time count for something! Not surprised it is close to double that now!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Pizzas

There is a reason there are so many sellers filling empty shops. High profit. If people tried making their own they are better and soooo much cheaper... "

Do factor time in the calculation? Is time cheap?

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

When I worked in pubs it was mixers. We used to get crates of the little bottles for 11p each (with 3p return deposit) so 8p each and sell for 80p at the bar (900% mark up)

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unpopular opinion overrated OLAPLEX

Apple products

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"But yes it's got to be petrol at the minute.

its actually not, its very cheap, its the tax on it that makes it expensive"

I'll console myself with that next time I'm filling up.

Reply privately

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

"But yes it's got to be petrol at the minute.

its actually not, its very cheap, its the tax on it that makes it expensive.

I'll console myself with that next time I'm filling up. "

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

I paid £820 a month for a year, and that wasn’t full time as there was one half day / week thrown in. I saved with Care4 vouchers that were salary sacrificed however you can see why some parents don’t return to work with these costs.

Was paying £600 a month for 4 days a week nearly 18 years ago! Realisation that it cost £7k AFTER tax just to pay someone else to look after your children certainly puts into perspective the cost of having children and also the need to focus on making work time count for something! Not surprised it is close to double that now! "

thats the problem, most of us oldies when growing up had one parent working, the other doing child care, now one income isnt enough, but then you have to pay child care, not sure if its better really

Reply privately

over a year ago

Freddo's... used to be 5p when I was a child wtf has happened

Reply privately

over a year ago

"APPLE products

sorry they are nothing more than a fashion item, always have been, show me an apple product thats better than the equivilant pc/phone at the same price"

There will be a premium. It all depends what you want to do with it. But generally if you want ease of use and an elegant integrated solution. It is the superior offering. You can always build better (aka faster) for cheaper. But unless your time is very cheap then it is not really worthwhile. But they are far from ‘just’ being a fashion accessory! My iMac Pro paid for itself in under a month. So well worth the investment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Unpopular opinion overrated OLAPLEX

Apple products "

Whaaat, really? I think Olaplex is miraculous, worth every penny!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"APPLE products

MacBook air M1

Apple are bot meant to best bang for buck. They are not aimed at the price sensitive. That’s what Windows is for.

Windows /Android = Tuning shop Subaru.

Apple = BMW M3.

I know which is faster and more cost effective. But also which is more refined and easier to live with day to day and long term.

Usually those that are price sensitive don’t invest in the full ecosystem that adds the depth of value that comes with it as all they focus on is the specs and the process. Not the overall experience.

If they were really just fashion accessories why are they generally the weapon of choice for devops engineers?

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"APPLE products

There will be a premium. It all depends what you want to do with it. But generally if you want ease of use and an elegant integrated solution. It is the superior offering. You can always build better (aka faster) for cheaper. But unless your time is very cheap then it is not really worthwhile. But they are far from ‘just’ being a fashion accessory! My iMac Pro paid for itself in under a month. So well worth the investment. "

well if it works for you then all good

Reply privately

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"APPLE products

MacBook air M1

Apple are bot meant to best bang for buck. They are not aimed at the price sensitive. That’s what Windows is for.

Apple = BMW M3.

I know which is faster and more cost effective. But also which is more refined and easier to live with day to day and long term.

Usually those that are price sensitive don’t invest in the full ecosystem that adds the depth of value that comes with it as all they focus on is the specs and the process. Not the overall experience.

If they were really just fashion accessories why are they generally the weapon of choice for devops engineers? "

Not just the Devops engineers, but editors, photo editors, video editors, live TV broadcasting etc etc.

People love to slam on Apple without realising that, yes they’re expensive, they do generally last longer than a Windows equivalent.

And I say with that confidence as my MacBook Pro is almost 6 years old, still gets all the new operating systems and is functioning like the day I bought it.

Can’t really say that about a Windows laptop which has its performance drop over time due to updates & other issues.

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

in my industry you cant get the needed software on apple so no choice but to have a pc, i spoke to one of the companies about it ant they told me its not worth the cost to develope the software for apple as they are more for the hobby user, not my words, not trying to start a argument, but this was the biggest maker of software in motorracing so they know the market

Reply privately

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"in my industry you cant get the needed software on apple so no choice but to have a pc, i spoke to one of the companies about it ant they told me its not worth the cost to develope the software for apple as they are more for the hobby user, not my words, not trying to start a argument, but this was the biggest maker of software in motorracing so they know the market"

It’s horses for course though, Windows takes the biggest slice of market share, Apple is niche in what it does, but does it brilliantly.

I’ve worked in what’s called a “Hybrid” environment within the media industry, a mix of both Apple & Windows, and approx 90% of the software was cross compatible. I can’t imagine using Apple Mac’s in Motor racing, not with the required connectivity, something that Apple lacks unless you buy dongles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Houses.

I share this sentiment, I don't know what would our generation do because wages are not enough to get a mortgage these days "

Study hard. Stay current on skills. Market skills in a savvy way and rise above the curve. Just like in any other supply/demand driven market.

Best advice I have given my teenage kids - assess anything you want to spend on in terms of how many hours you’d have to work minimum wage to buy it. Then think again. It changed how they viewed education and spent their spare time.

But agree property is too high a fraction of most peoples income.

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"APPLE products

MacBook air M1

Apple = BMW M3.

If they were really just fashion accessories why are they generally the weapon of choice for devops engineers?

Not just the Devops engineers, but editors, photo editors, video editors, live TV broadcasting etc etc.

People love to slam on Apple without realising that, yes they’re expensive, they do generally last longer than a Windows equivalent.

And I say with that confidence as my MacBook Pro is almost 6 years old, still gets all the new operating systems and is functioning like the day I bought it.

Can’t really say that about a Windows laptop which has its performance drop over time due to updates & other issues. "

yes ive heard this before, and as i dont own an apple i cant comment, i just re instal win 10 every year or so, doesnt take long, mostly it does it on its own, and back to new again, but like i said the 3rd party software just isnt there foe apple like it is for pc, and modern pc laptops arent bad, lets face it all i need is for it to turn on and do simple tasks so works for me

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"in my industry you cant get the needed software on apple so no choice but to have a pc, i spoke to one of the companies about it ant they told me its not worth the cost to develope the software for apple as they are more for the hobby user, not my words, not trying to start a argument, but this was the biggest maker of software in motorracing so they know the market

It’s horses for course though, Windows takes the biggest slice of market share, Apple is niche in what it does, but does it brilliantly.

I’ve worked in what’s called a “Hybrid” environment within the media industry, a mix of both Apple & Windows, and approx 90% of the software was cross compatible. I can’t imagine using Apple Mac’s in Motor racing, not with the required connectivity, something that Apple lacks unless you buy dongles. "

im not even sure if thats possable tbh, never seen an apple laptop in the paddok, must say something, maybe they have missed a trick there, as globaly there must be millions like me

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Houses.

I share this sentiment, I don't know what would our generation do because wages are not enough to get a mortgage these days

Study hard. Stay current on skills. Market skills in a savvy way and rise above the curve. Just like in any other supply/demand driven market.

Best advice I have given my teenage kids - assess anything you want to spend on in terms of how many hours you’d have to work minimum wage to buy it. Then think again. It changed how they viewed education and spent their spare time.

But agree property is too high a fraction of most peoples income. "

maybe we will become a nation of renters like most of europe has been for a while

Reply privately

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"in my industry you cant get the needed software on apple so no choice but to have a pc, i spoke to one of the companies about it ant they told me its not worth the cost to develope the software for apple as they are more for the hobby user, not my words, not trying to start a argument, but this was the biggest maker of software in motorracing so they know the market

I’ve worked in what’s called a “Hybrid” environment within the media industry, a mix of both Apple & Windows, and approx 90% of the software was cross compatible. I can’t imagine using Apple Mac’s in Motor racing, not with the required connectivity, something that Apple lacks unless you buy dongles.

im not even sure if thats possable tbh, never seen an apple laptop in the paddok, must say something, maybe they have missed a trick there, as globaly there must be millions like me"

Well they would be more durable as they’re made out of milled aluminium, but it’s the price vs performance vs available software.

I’ve never seen tuning software or sensor monitoring software written for MacOS.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"in my industry you cant get the needed software on apple so no choice but to have a pc, i spoke to one of the companies about it ant they told me its not worth the cost to develope the software for apple as they are more for the hobby user, not my words, not trying to start a argument, but this was the biggest maker of software in motorracing so they know the market"

That’s a niche software package in a very niche market. Makes complete sense. Their choice is solely baed on market share and the target market, like many niche areas tends to be PC only. Sadly no longer with the new AS Processors. But all Intel CPU macs can run Windows as well.

Apple don’t make rugged (properly rugged) engineering laptops either which is a big reason for the dominance of Windows in those niche markets.

There’s no need to argue - but it is worth realising that experience in one industry does not translate to exactly the same experience across the board. The market value of the entire motor racing industry software suppliers would be chicken feed compared to Apple’s budget just to engineer a single chip. So they’re not going to invest in the small things; they’ll let niche players pick that up.

Tampons though should be free.

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

im not even sure if thats possable tbh, never seen an apple laptop in the paddok, must say something, maybe they have missed a trick there, as globaly there must be millions like me

Well they would be more durable as they’re made out of milled aluminium, but it’s the price vs performance vs available software.

I’ve never seen tuning software or sensor monitoring software written for MacOS. "

you can get stong laptops but nobody buys them as crap and expensive, maybe the core os doesnt work well with the software on mac, i dont know, im not an it geek, but i know what works, ive got a big laptop, v powerfull for full ecu writing etc, and a lichtweight notebook for gen use like datalogging downloading dta from cars etc, the big one is over a decade ols ads its still fine, and can write to the latest stuff no problem.

and the biggest issue is you need to have a serial port for historic f1 crs etc, and modern stuff doesnt have that.

In my world old laptops that cn run old historic cars are fectching a premium now, often sold with the cars, as new stuff cant talk to them lol, funny how things change

Reply privately

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

That’s a niche software package in a very niche market. Makes complete sense. Their choice is solely baed on market share and the target market, like many niche areas tends to be PC only. Sadly no longer with the new AS Processors. But all Intel CPU macs can run Windows as well.

Apple don’t make rugged (properly rugged) engineering laptops either which is a big reason for the dominance of Windows in those niche markets.

There’s no need to argue - but it is worth realising that experience in one industry does not translate to exactly the same experience across the board. The market value of the entire motor racing industry software suppliers would be chicken feed compared to Apple’s budget just to engineer a single chip. So they’re not going to invest in the small things; they’ll let niche players pick that up.

Tampons though should be free. "

i compleatly agree, they made the software for the most used product, and in turn have increased the life of that product, as for tampons im a man so not bothered lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve never seen tuning software or sensor monitoring software written for MacOS.

you can get stong laptops but nobody buys them as crap and expensive, maybe the core os doesnt work well with the software on mac, i dont know, im not an it geek, but i know what works, ive got a big laptop, v powerfull for full ecu writing etc, and a lichtweight notebook for gen use like datalogging downloading dta from cars etc, the big one is over a decade ols ads its still fine, and can write to the latest stuff no problem.

and the biggest issue is you need to have a serial port for historic f1 crs etc, and modern stuff doesnt have that.

In my world old laptops that cn run old historic cars are fectching a premium now, often sold with the cars, as new stuff cant talk to them lol, funny how things change"

It is. The legacy kit in many industries will command a premium these days - if only for spare parts value!

Reply privately

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Cosmetics, especially top-end perfumes. A ripoff!

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

I feel your pain!!

Glad I'm not the only sucker

And blinking Fornite, season passes and blinking skins arghhh"

Just say no, just like Zammo.

Reply privately

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

In my world old laptops that cn run old historic cars are fectching a premium now, often sold with the cars, as new stuff cant talk to them lol, funny how things change"

Always the way though with tech. Working in the Cyber-Security field I always find companies with huuuuge amounts of technical “debt” (older pieces of equipment) simply because the cost vs risk of replacing or buying newer software is prohibitive.

It truly is a never ending circle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good biggest rip offs everyone

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cinema pop corn serious rip off