Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Help me sleep

Jump to newest

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I’ve have such terrible sleep sometimes. This past couple of weeks have been awful!

I have been to the GP about this but they can’t do much to help

Some of the things I’ve tried:

Cherry juice

Weighted blankets

New bed

Heated eye mask

Bedroom mist

Herbal teas

Herbal pills

Warm milk with honey

Reading before bed

No electronics

It’s becoming too expensive for me I’ve even tried sex but that doesn’t always help

Do you have any new tips? Or someone come and sing me a lullaby

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Do you take magnesium and vitamin D? They can both have a huge effect on sleep.

over a year ago

Its abit of a long shot but I always play relaxing classical music or storm sounds really quietly on the alexa for a few hours as i'm drifting off, the storm sounds are really effective x

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Exercise is the best sleep inducer. If you are tired, you will sleep, it's as simple as that. Otherwise, avoid caffeine, and don't eat too late. Good luck

By *arkSuitedBootedMan
over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

But have you tried sex before sleeping?

Thank me later

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I only take magnesium if I’m having trouble sleeping. But it doesn’t seem to work for me. I know I lack in vitamin D but didn’t think that would have an effect?

"Do you take magnesium and vitamin D? They can both have a huge effect on sleep."

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Oooh I do this too, thunderstorms is the only thing I listen too! I have it on every night but things work temporarily then they stop working x

"Its abit of a long shot but I always play relaxing classical music or storm sounds really quietly on the alexa for a few hours as i'm drifting off, the storm sounds are really effective x"

over a year ago

I found that pursuing a relaxing hobby instead of using electronics an hour or so before bedtime works well. Follow that up with a short period of breathing exercise and meditation to clear the mind. I prefer a coolish bedroom rather than an uncomfortably warm one.

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Haha yes but can’t always have the option of that right before bedtime

"But have you tried sex before sleeping?

Thank me later "

By *ax1971Man
over a year ago

St helens

A hot relaxing soak in the bath can help just before bed..x

over a year ago

I also sleep really poorly.

I have tried a lot of the things on your list including new bed and mattress - its fab but didnt help.

Ive found a combination of the following does make a difference to me. Not drinking alchohol helps but takes at least two weeks to make a difference for me.

Mixing decaf coffee into my coffee, a lot of exercise - swimming seemed to tire me out the most and not watching TV or a screen after 9. Alchohol is a respiratory depressant so I shallow breathe and wake up a lot.

Hope this helps.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

Start going to a yoga class. It does wonders for your physical and mental health. Plus it's all about the breathing, thinking about it and slowing it down.

If I have a night when I can't sleep, I'll do the breathing exercises and hey presto the next thing is the alarm is going of hours later.

over a year ago

I use the Insight Timer app. There is alot of choice of sounds and music and it does the trick for me. Nytol is also helpful.

over a year ago

"I only take magnesium if I’m having trouble sleeping. But it doesn’t seem to work for me. I know I lack in vitamin D but didn’t think that would have an effect?

Do you take magnesium and vitamin D? They can both have a huge effect on sleep."

Yes, it can make a difference. You can get a sub lingual one (better you I think) which is easy.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I only take magnesium if I’m having trouble sleeping. But it doesn’t seem to work for me. I know I lack in vitamin D but didn’t think that would have an effect?

Do you take magnesium and vitamin D? They can both have a huge effect on sleep.

Yes, it can make a difference. You can get a sub lingual one (better you I think) which is easy."

If you take D3 supps, take K2 at the same time, it protects from calcium deposits where you don't want them.

By *heonix_flamesWoman
over a year ago

Midlands

I have terrible insomnia. Only thing that’s ever slightly helped me is the very boring go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning. TV off and phone away for an hour before bed and read or listen to music in dimmed light. Don’t do this in bed- only get into bed when it’s time to sleep. Cut down on your time in bed too- maybe 6-7 hours to start with. Good luck

over a year ago

I’ve suffered with spells of insomnia for years, usually around this time of year and lasting for 3-4 weeks. I’ve tried everything but to no avail so far.

It’s horrible, I really feel for you OP. Fingers crossed you manage to get it under control.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"Do you take magnesium and vitamin D? They can both have a huge effect on sleep."

This. Magnesium glycinate capsules (not tablets) can really help.

I find listening to podcasts is good too.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I feel your pain. I don't drink caffeine after midday and that helps. There are a couple of apps which have helped through guided meditation but they get so boring I dont use them consistently.

over a year ago

Sort out your sleep hygiene before taking any supplements

By *auti Lass and MoleCouple
over a year ago

Bicester

Amitriptyline is a muscle relaxer. If you are tense, it could help.

Sleepy tea (it is a thing), after dinner can help start your body to slow down and relax.

Routine! Every body craves routine. So don't jump from one technique to another. Find one that is easy and effortless to do, so you can keep doing it every night. Your body will associate those things with going to bed and sleep.

Audio stimulus can help pre-occupy your mind with things other than work. If the days stresses are playing on your mind, these could help shift them to something else. Like waves, jungles, audio books etc.

Scented oils could help relax and calm you. Spraying some on your pillow can help trigger your body to relax (if done every night).

We could offer a head rub massages, they tend to help too.

N and M x

over a year ago

Read some threads on here from.....insert name here

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

What is it that's stopping you sleeping? Is it thoughts going through your head. When my inner monologue stops me from sleeping then I have a method I can share, but is that the issue.

over a year ago

I know this sounds silly. I struggle with sleep. But I count my going out breaths. I do them in 20s. Going back to 1 once I get to 20.

Also no mobile tablet in the room.

Listening to light classical music.

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

The same thing as children.

Try lots of exercise and fresh air, it's free and works wonders in all ages and animals.

over a year ago

Go for a run, I mean really push yourself physically so that your body signals to your brain you need rest.

To settle your mind, focus on relaxing your body. Start with your toes, think about them, visualise them and feel them relaxing. Slowly work your way up your body.

Focus on deep breathing, count in for 4 and out for 4.

over a year ago

Lavender and/or camomile drops in the bath.

over a year ago

Try exercise, maybe a little run or even a walk, if the body is lazy it can affect all sorts of things

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

A relaxation technique using deep breathing and tensing and relaxing the muscles might help.

I did it in group therapy along with a tape of someone talking us through it. He had a soft French accent and was so relaxing.

over a year ago

Just go to bed and close your eyes

By *aldguy1973Man
over a year ago

huntingdon

swimming early evening works for me and decent relaxing music

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Your list doesn't mention any exercise.

Are you sedentary all day ?

Eating sugary or flour based snacks?

Slumped over a computer or t.v. all day?

Walk to most places.

Eat healthy

No tea or coffee after 7p.m.

over a year ago

Sleep hypn0sis podcasts.

Writing a list before bed of things you don't want to forget to do in the morning.

I take 5-htp tabs sometimes.

Lavender spray on pillow.

over a year ago

"I’ve have such terrible sleep sometimes. This past couple of weeks have been awful!

I have been to the GP about this but they can’t do much to help

Some of the things I’ve tried:

I found blow jobs work ))

Cherry juice

Weighted blankets

New bed

Heated eye mask

Bedroom mist

Herbal teas

Herbal pills

Warm milk with honey

Reading before bed

No electronics

It’s becoming too expensive for me I’ve even tried sex but that doesn’t always help

Do you have any new tips? Or someone come and sing me a lullaby "

over a year ago

I saw a video on Instagram and a girl makes a “lettuce tea” basically hot water on lettuce leaves, leaves them to steam and drinks it. She said it works wonders, looked like it knocks her out.

over a year ago

Join a gym with a swimming pool , get up at 5 am go to the gym before work after work head back to the gym and go for a mammoth swim , head for a steam room and use the cold shower , finish off with a jacuzzi . Knacker yourself physically and the rest will hopefully fall into place

over a year ago

"I saw a video on Instagram and a girl makes a “lettuce tea” basically hot water on lettuce leaves, leaves them to steam and drinks it. She said it works wonders, looked like it knocks her out. "

Oh I forgot about the banana skin thing, apparently there’s something similar to the lettuce.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I listen to an audio book, BBC Sounds play or drama.

Set it going on your phone/iPad set the sleep timer (mine is usually an hour) switch out the lights and hopefully listening to something will clear your mind and leave room for sleep to kick in.

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Ooh that’s interesting, I’ve tried the banana and lemon tea this way which didn’t help but wouldn’t have thought of doing it with lettuce

"I saw a video on Instagram and a girl makes a “lettuce tea” basically hot water on lettuce leaves, leaves them to steam and drinks it. She said it works wonders, looked like it knocks her out. "

By *hristopherd999Man
over a year ago

Brentwood

Can I come and sing you a lullaby?

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I do hot yoga! On my days off from work I don’t do a lot but my job is very active.

I only drink tea in the morning a mixture of herbal or chai

"Your list doesn't mention any exercise.

Are you sedentary all day ?

Eating sugary or flour based snacks?

Slumped over a computer or t.v. all day?

Walk to most places.

Eat healthy

No tea or coffee after 7p.m. "

By *Honey OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Thank you, I used to run loads but fell out of love with it! I do hot yoga now. Never thought about breathing exercises x

"Go for a run, I mean really push yourself physically so that your body signals to your brain you need rest.

To settle your mind, focus on relaxing your body. Start with your toes, think about them, visualise them and feel them relaxing. Slowly work your way up your body.

Focus on deep breathing, count in for 4 and out for 4.

"

By *heonix_flamesWoman
over a year ago

Midlands

"Just go to bed and close your eyes"

By *urchoicenowCouple
over a year ago

Ashford

"I use the Insight Timer app. There is alot of choice of sounds and music and it does the trick for me. Nytol is also helpful. "

We use this too. Really helps

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"Sort out your sleep hygiene before taking any supplements "

The two go hand in hand. Vast majority of humans are D deficient anyway.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

My mum used to swear by a lettuce and vinegar sandwich before bed, to help her sleep.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

There is something called the ‘4-7-8’ technique.

It’s basically a structured breathing exercise and many people swear by it.

Unfortunately, it did nowt for me but have a google and a ganders and hopefully, the said method may prove more efficacious for you

over a year ago

Do you take magnesium and vitamin D? They can both have a huge effect on sleep."

I’ve suffered from fatigue for years, I had a blood test in 2018 for vit D and I didn’t have enough, they gave me just one supply of Vit D but it didn’t make much difference. (Well no wonder, it wasn’t enough) then in jan this year it was tested again by a rheumatologist who said my level was just 16units, it should be above 30 to be considered in normal range. I was given a prescription for 800iu and to be tested again in 6 months (repeat prescription) I now have a healthy amount and yes I sleep better, even though I slept before, the difference is that I am not suffering from fatigue during the day.

If that makes sense

over a year ago

Have you tried regular long walks.

over a year ago

"Sort out your sleep hygiene before taking any supplements

The two go hand in hand. Vast majority of humans are D deficient anyway.

"

No they’re not. In the UK, people who live north of Manchester (or Birmingham) should take extra vit D during the winter months as we get less sunshine.

Post new Message to Thread