Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Octupus farming

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Big outcry this week with the proposed first octupus farm breeding octupses for food.

Anybody a fan of this ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

was an 8 handed hands down?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Probably come to a sticky end

By *hisisntpofMan
over a year ago

bristol

Sponge bob square pants

over a year ago

"Big outcry this week with the proposed first octupus farm breeding octupses for food.

Anybody a fan of this ?"

Can’t see an issue with this. Is it any different from any other forms of farming?

over a year ago

I’m not going to eat anything that is likely to be smarter than me!

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"Big outcry this week with the proposed first octupus farm breeding octupses for food.

Anybody a fan of this ?

Can’t see an issue with this. Is it any different from any other forms of farming? "

Octopi have been classed as “sentient” by some branches of science. There is generally an issue that regardless of whether they are farmed or not, should we be eating a species that displays emotional intelligence albeit without the ability to communicate with us.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Salmon farming has its bad points and no doubt this will not end well either...

What the hell will they farm next ?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I prefer squid to octupuses personally ... Not sure which are the most abundant. They are probably related with all those legs...

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

ive always said that to save a species, convice peopl to eat them, look at howmany cows and sheep there are, very few whales, maybe we should eat them too

over a year ago

Anybody a fan of this ?

Can’t see an issue with this. Is it any different from any other forms of farming?

Octopi have been classed as “sentient” by some branches of science. There is generally an issue that regardless of whether they are farmed or not, should we be eating a species that displays emotional intelligence albeit without the ability to communicate with us. "

Someone better tell the Beef, Dairy and Sheep farmers.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

This story is big in the news

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

Squidward is going to be pissed.

Or maybe not, he’s a squid.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Anybody a fan of this ?

Octopi have been classed as “sentient” by some branches of science. There is generally an issue that regardless of whether they are farmed or not, should we be eating a species that displays emotional intelligence albeit without the ability to communicate with us.

Someone better tell the Beef, Dairy and Sheep farmers. "

“ The level of awareness that has been witnessed first-hand is to be recognised in UK law through an amendment to the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill.

The change has come after a team of experts sifted through more than 300 scientific studies and concluded that octopuses were "sentient beings" and there was "strong scientific evidence" that they could experience pleasure, excitement and joy - but also pain, distress and harm.”

I’m not sure that cows and sheep have been classified as such.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"This story is big in the news "

It's a waste of ink, don't get suckered in

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"ive always said that to save a species, convice peopl to eat them, look at howmany cows and sheep there are, very few whales, maybe we should eat them too"

didn't work for the dodo and what about the state of the cod population?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Anybody a fan of this ?

“ The level of awareness that has been witnessed first-hand is to be recognised in UK law through an amendment to the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill.

The change has come after a team of experts sifted through more than 300 scientific studies and concluded that octopuses were "sentient beings" and there was "strong scientific evidence" that they could experience pleasure, excitement and joy - but also pain, distress and harm.”

I’m not sure that cows and sheep have been classified as such. "

What nonsense...

Bulls breed with cows because they enjoy it ...

over a year ago

"ive always said that to save a species, convice peopl to eat them, look at howmany cows and sheep there are, very few whales, maybe we should eat them too"

Perversely this is why we have national parks. (Originally formed by hunters in Africa).

Doesn't really excuse it today though.

over a year ago

How sad we as the master race can decide things like this. So to eat to make a rational choice to eat a living animal or choose a vegetarian alternative. We choose death in most cases

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And if this goes ahead these science types will seek to genetically modify these poos octopuses. Longer legs etc.. and then they escape .

Frankenstein food

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Anybody a fan of this ?

What nonsense...

Bulls breed with cows because they enjoy it ..."

Of course I’ll take your word over “300 scientific studies” herd animals breed because of genetic imperative, I cannot say whether or not bulls do it for pure enjoyment or to increase the likelihood of their genetic legacy, but they (apparently) do not warrant classification as “sentient”

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Have a google of the famous, Paul The Octopus.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And if the farmed octipus escape and breed with their cousins.. Squid...

over a year ago

Anybody a fan of this ?

What nonsense...

Of course I’ll take your word over “300 scientific studies” herd animals breed because of genetic imperative, I cannot say whether or not bulls do it for pure enjoyment or to increase the likelihood of their genetic legacy, but they (apparently) do not warrant classification as “sentient” "

Legal classifications aside. If you’ve ever spent any time on a farm then you’d know that a cow or sheep are at least as sentient as a octopus!

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"And if this goes ahead these science types will seek to genetically modify these poos octopuses. Longer legs etc.. and then they escape .

Frankenstein food "

Watch out sharks.

over a year ago

"And if this goes ahead these science types will seek to genetically modify these poos octopuses. Longer legs etc.. and then they escape .

Frankenstein food

Watch out sharks. "

They’re going to give them covid vaccine and watch them grow propellers and wings!

over a year ago

"I’m not going to eat anything that is likely to be smarter than me! "

Are you a vegan? (meant in the best of festive hilarity)

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Anybody a fan of this ?

What nonsense...

Of course I’ll take your word over “300 scientific studies” herd animals breed because of genetic imperative, I cannot say whether or not bulls do it for pure enjoyment or to increase the likelihood of their genetic legacy, but they (apparently) do not warrant classification as “sentient”

Legal classifications aside. If you’ve ever spent any time on a farm then you’d know that a cow or sheep are at least as sentient as a octopus!

"

Whilst not wishing to stereotype myself, note location

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

well i love squid and octupus, have eaten both, dont see a problem with it, i dont want to be a vegitarian thank you

over a year ago

Anybody a fan of this ?

What nonsense...

Whilst not wishing to stereotype myself, note location "

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"How sad we as the master race can decide things like this. So to eat to make a rational choice to eat a living animal or choose a vegetarian alternative. We choose death in most cases "

Animals eat plants, animals eat fungi, animals eat animals.

Plants eat animals.

Bacteria eats us all in the end.

Humans are the only ones to stop and think about it.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"I prefer squid to octupuses personally ... Not sure which are the most abundant. They are probably related with all those legs..."

Not for me Tom, the inky buggers.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I used to have a pet one.

It would be like eating the dog or the cat for me.

No octopus meals on my menu.

over a year ago

Wouldnt make a difference to me, i eat it and never have issues purchasing it... maybe theres shortages in places?

over a year ago

I dont eat octopus, never have, never will.

But surely it's better to farm them than to destroy the wild population?

All creatures have feelings, they show emotions if anyone would care to spend any time with them.

I'm sure if scientists did 300 studies on any creature, they would see it too.

over a year ago

"

I'm sure if scientists did 300 studies on any creature, they would see it too. "

Weird that none of them would have done that already. Have you told Attenborough?

over a year ago

"How sad we as the master race can decide things like this. So to eat to make a rational choice to eat a living animal or choose a vegetarian alternative. We choose death in most cases

Plants eat animals.

Humans are the only ones to stop and think about it."

The logic of that being that humans should stop thinking?...

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 21/12/21 09:03:27]

over a year ago

There's a great Netflix film called "My Octopus Teacher" which was amazing...so moving, beautiful and well worth watching. Showed how intelligent these creatures are and as has been said above, also are capable of sensing so many emotions.

Never eaten octopus since...

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"How sad we as the master race can decide things like this. So to eat to make a rational choice to eat a living animal or choose a vegetarian alternative. We choose death in most cases

Plants eat animals.

Humans are the only ones to stop and think about it.

The logic of that being that humans should stop thinking?..."

Judging by the actions displayed during the pandemic a lot of them have already.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

You’ll be a sucker for eating octopus..

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I tried cooking a live octopus once but he kept turning the gas off on me

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Octopus driving a combine harvester? Genius!

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Plants eat animals.

Humans are the only ones to stop and think about it."

Humans are one of a very few species that farms other species for food and the only species to do so that is capable of tailoring the methods used to reduce suffering.

Nature is full of examples of predatory behaviour that is bound to cause distress and suffering but we alone have the ability to consuder how we can reduce this.

I have no objection in principle to farming octopi as long as it is done in a way that reduces the level of stress on the animals to the same as their native environment (where they are also taken as prey, killed and eaten by other creatures). However I find the way this company is refusing disclose its methods very worrying though I understand there is a large commercial advantage to doing so. I'm also concerned about the sourcing of food to feed the octopi, our oceans are already being plundered in unsustainable ways to feed not just people directly but indirectly and far less efficiently

through the ever growing aquaculture industry.

It's all very well touting the environmental benefits of farmed octopi saving the wild ones but slightly less convincing when a) it is used as a way to increase the overall amount eaten and b) this increase is fed by stripping creatures from wild habitats and feeding them to the farmed animals.

Mr

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I've just driven past a field with rows upon rows of baby octopi... Or maybe ears of corn... Hard to tell as they are clever buggers that change colours to match their environment. So long as they aren't genetically modified.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Salmon farming has its bad points and no doubt this will not end well either...

What the hell will they farm next ?"

I'm happy to be Soylent Green Tom .......

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I’d like to be… under the sea….

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

We have octopus for dinner Christmas day instead of turkey.

It's not cheap but least everyone gets a leg....

Taxi......

Winston

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

This story is all over the news..

And if this goes through them what else will these buggers farm ? Snails perhaps?

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"This story is all over the news..

And if this goes through them what else will these buggers farm ? Snails perhaps?"

That’s slow news..

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I can't work out why if an animal is Intelligent that we can't farm them...

over a year ago

"I can't work out why if an animal is Intelligent that we can't farm them..."

You'd need to ask an intelligent animal about that

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Bulls are intelligent

over a year ago

"Bulls are intelligent "

Ask one of them then

over a year ago

Went to a sushi restaurant a couple of months ago and had some octopus, honestly it's chewey but tastes great just like squid

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Bulls are intelligent

Ask one of them then "

There were two bulls on top of a hill. One old bull and one young bull..

The young bull says, Let's run down the hill and mount one of those cows..

The old bull says no .

Let's walk down the hill and mount the lot..

Now you are saying that bulls are stupid.. ?

over a year ago

"Bulls are intelligent

Ask one of them then

There were two bulls on top of a hill. One old bull and one young bull..

The young bull says, Let's run down the hill and mount one of those cows..

The old bull says no .

Let's walk down the hill and mount the lot..

Now you are saying that bulls are stupid.. ?"

I'm saying that's bull shit

over a year ago

Good bull shit tho

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And the clown claiming that animals are ,,sentimental..

Arnt we all

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Unlike printers octopuses never run out of ink.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Went to a sushi restaurant a couple of months ago and had some octopus, honestly it's chewey but tastes great just like squid "

Do you prefer squid or octupus..

They are obviously related

over a year ago

"And the clown claiming that animals are ,,sentimental..

Arnt we all "

My dog isn't sentimental. He only cares about food, warmth and sleep. I've tried waxing lyrical with him about the good old times but he's just not interested in nostalgia.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Anybody a fan of this ?"

Mmmm BBQ octopus with just the squeeze of lemon..

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Arnt we all "

I think all animals are far more self-aware than we like to think but would not stop me from eating one.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Arnt we all

My dog isn't sentimental. He only cares about food, warmth and sleep. I've tried waxing lyrical with him about the good old times but he's just not interested in nostalgia.

"

That's dogs for you...

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

Arnt we all

That's dogs for you..."

no dogs love you, reminds me of an old joke.

man has a dog and cat, both are watching him put up a shelf, dog says oohhh your so clever wagging its tail, cat says that shelfs pissed and saunters off

By *ackandtheunicornCouple
over a year ago

liverpool

All animal farming should be banned. So cruel.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"All animal farming should be banned. So cruel. "

So is digging holes for veg. Worms hate it.

over a year ago

A farm full of octopi/octopuses would be a dangerous thing. They would have all the farmers screwed up into jars whilst they made a bid for freedom after burning the place down. I would hope anyway. I would cheer them all the way. And provide the flammables for the bonfire. (Dont eat the Octopus )

over a year ago

"All animal farming should be banned. So cruel.

So is digging holes for veg. Worms hate it."

Great argument

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Bet they were up in arms about it.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not sure why you can't eats what's tasty...mushrooms lovely, lamb lovely,

All good food

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I learned an Interesting thing about monkeys in captivity yesterday that may change some minds here

over a year ago

"I learned an Interesting thing about monkeys in captivity yesterday that may change some minds here"

That was a secret! You’re not supposed to tell anyone. Otherwise everyone will want free site supporter status!

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

No, highly intelligent animals.leave them in the sea.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I learned an Interesting thing about monkeys in captivity yesterday that may change some minds here"

If you give them typewriters eventually they will type the works of Shakespeare?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I do wonder what could be the outcome of herding these buggers together..

If they are as intelligent as it is claimed they will join forces foreshore

over a year ago

"I do wonder what could be the outcome of herding these buggers together..

If they are as intelligent as it is claimed they will join forces foreshore"

Intelligence and mass gatherings mean nothing. Millions gather with sophisticated communication networkers daily. And spend it talking about who’s going to win a dancing competition or whether the size of tits or penis makes a difference to global warming! I sincerely doubt a few octopi are going to cause a rift in the space and time! They might start an interesting thread by grown men in the south of england can’t afford shoes though

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Imagine them imprisoned in a food farm and being intelligent enough to know their fate . They will collectively fight against their fate ..

over a year ago

Anybody a fan of this ?"

Why not? We eat other living things. I'll be eating octopus tomorrow night for Xmas Eve dinner.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Isn't it better to farm than to take from the wild?

I don't know the answer to that.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Isn't it better to farm than to take from the wild?

I don't know the answer to that."

We all know the answer to that one...

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Lots of coverage in the news ..

It's all over the news

By *ausageNmashCouple
over a year ago

Andover

"was an 8 handed hands down? "

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I am reading that we should not eat octupus because they are deemed to be intelligent ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

We all know the answer to that one..."

I don't.

What is the answer Tom ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I don't know the answer to that."

If you were meat for aliens, would you rather live free as a human until they captured you or be kept from birth in an artificial environment and impregnated so that you will produce young and milk then have your young taken from you and then be killed when you can no longer produce young or milk or if you get ill and costly ?

You could be one of the lucky ones that is blindfolded at birth and bled every so often to keep your flesh nice and pale for those that pay big bucks to eat tender white baby meat...

It's good to have a choice

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If you were meat for aliens, would you rather live free as a human until they captured you or be kept from birth in an artificial environment and impregnated so that you will produce young and milk then have your young taken from you and then be killed when you can no longer produce young or milk or if you get ill and costly ?

You could be one of the lucky ones that is blindfolded at birth and bled every so often to keep your flesh nice and pale for those that pay big bucks to eat tender white baby meat...

It's good to have a choice"

It’s always better to hunt than farm, the meats much leaner too and not pumped full of ABI’s but just not possible in cities

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's good to have a choice"

They do similar to asparagus but that's not deemed cruel ..

over a year ago

"

It’s always better to hunt than farm, the meats much leaner too and not pumped full of ABI’s but just not possible in cities"

Which animals have you hunted?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Tom has hunted

Post new Message to Thread