Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Photo advice (critique)

Jump to newest

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Hey All,

As I have some free time and love looking at photography I thought I'd create a forum where we can discuss and offer advice to those who want or need it.

I work as a tog and have done for years as well as having a degree and ma in the subject. I believe I should be able to offer advice to those who need it.

So, if you want advice post on here and direct to your pictures. Hopefully the nice people of fab and myself will be able to offer advice on composition and lighting.

Consider it to be my Xmas.present to all you sexy folk

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Tbh you not having any public photos is likely to lead to many not wanting to join in.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"Tbh you not having any public photos is likely to lead to many not wanting to join in."

I am always a little suspicious of people offering “expertise” without demonstrating their credentials, no offence OP

By *hosewhomgonakedCouple
over a year ago

Scotland

"Tbh you not having any public photos is likely to lead to many not wanting to join in."

Agree with this, anyone offering advice and putting themselves out there as a pro photographer should be first willing to show off some of their own work.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Tbh you not having any public photos is likely to lead to many not wanting to join in.

I am always a little suspicious of people offering “expertise” without demonstrating their credentials, no offence OP "

Yeah I can understand that. Discretion is important to me so can't have a photo of myself and I don't like to put photos of others on here as they're not images of me.

Also, i don't advertise myself as a photographer on here as not looking for work so only have images of myself set to friends only. I have a website and instagram for self promotion

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"Tbh you not having any public photos is likely to lead to many not wanting to join in.

I am always a little suspicious of people offering “expertise” without demonstrating their credentials, no offence OP

Yeah I can understand that. Discretion is important to me so can't have a photo of myself and I don't like to put photos of others on here as they're not images of me.

Also, i don't advertise myself as a photographer on here as not looking for work so only have images of myself set to friends only. I have a website and instagram for self promotion"

Discretion is important to most people but I would be troubled by someone that claims expertise that cannot take an anonymous photo of themselves, shows a lack of creativity which is perhaps the most important aspect of photography, is it not?

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

This just screams connector not say you are but there less red flags than in the Chinese military parade.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Also, i don't advertise myself as a photographer on here as not looking for work so only have images of myself set to friends only. I have a website and instagram for self promotion

Discretion is important to most people but I would be troubled by someone that claims expertise that cannot take an anonymous photo of themselves, shows a lack of creativity which is perhaps the most important aspect of photography, is it not? "

Don't be troubled. Even if I have no credentials advice from myself and others would always help you. Photographers critique their work for each other as it's part of the process. I thought I'd offer a platform for all to offer advice.

Creativity is important but getting drawn into these conversations is not a priority for me. I'm offering something that all photographers can comment on. If you’re not interested, feel free to move on

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"This just screams connector not say you are but there less red flags than in the Chinese military parade. "

I don't know what a connector is

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Agree with this, anyone offering advice and putting themselves out there as a pro photographer should be first willing to show off some of their own work."

I am willing. Have a website and instagram for those I want to work with.

Not sure you need much advice though... someone with an slr has definitely taken an interest in you

over a year ago

Scotland

We don't have an slr unfortunately.

Been mirrorless for years.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sorry mate you need to show a clothed shot of yourself at the very least, face or not that's up to you

But so far you scream of pic collector

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"We don't have an slr unfortunately.

Been mirrorless for years. "

Lucky you! I almost made the transition but mainly work with analogue so didn't see the point in selling my digital.

Either way: There's a nice aesthetic and composition in some of your images. Just a lot of repetition

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You can always post a photo that doesn't identify you, many people do.

You're perfectly at liberty to offer advice but the point people are making is that people might well be wary of you appraising their photos when you don't have any

That being said if people have no interest in your offer they should just not take you up on it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Sorry mate you need to show a clothed shot of yourself at the very least, face or not that's up to you

But so far you scream of pic collector"

I'm not sure how since so far his appraisal is of photos that people have in public

over a year ago

Scotland

"Lucky you! I almost made the transition but mainly work with analogue so didn't see the point in selling my digital.

Either way: There's a nice aesthetic and composition in some of your images. Just a lot of repetition "

Thanks, appreciate the comments. Avoiding repetition is hard as we only take the photos of ourselves. But willing to take on ideas for new shoots.

It's usually a team effort with some of them self shot by Mrs and we each process them in slightly different ways.

We have not studied photography at all and don't class ourselves as professional, just we enjoy taking photos and then learning to use the camera we have and then the processing software.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"You can always post a photo that doesn't identify you, many people do.

You're perfectly at liberty to offer advice but the point people are making is that people might well be wary of you appraising their photos when you don't have any

That being said if people have no interest in your offer they should just not take you up on it. "

Yeah I know. I think as men always make the first move and I send a pic with the first message I didn't see the point in using one as a profile pic. Plus I am a major perfectionist and hate self portraiture.

I know people are wary but as i said previously, anyone can offer advice. It's an open discussion. Even an amateur's opinion might help. Just like looking at talking about and looking at good photography...

I only offered to see public photos so you're right with me not being a collector.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Lucky you! I almost made the transition but mainly work with analogue so didn't see the point in selling my digital.

Either way: There's a nice aesthetic and composition in some of your images. Just a lot of repetition

Thanks, appreciate the comments. Avoiding repetition is hard as we only take the photos of ourselves. But willing to take on ideas for new shoots.

It's usually a team effort with some of them self shot by Mrs and we each process them in slightly different ways.

We have not studied photography at all and don't class ourselves as professional, just we enjoy taking photos and then learning to use the camera we have and then the processing software."

Your images have a real air of Christopher Mckenney about them but sexier! I like the desaturated images most as they add to the horror style mood.

Yeah it looks like the editing has been done differently in some images.

I think off camera lighting outside would make your images look great. Could add a real dark mood to them.

What do you use to edit your images? There's some great free online software like photopea if you don't have access to adobe ps or lr

over a year ago

Scotland

"

Your images have a real air of Christopher Mckenney about them but sexier! I like the desaturated images most as they add to the horror style mood.

I think off camera lighting outside would make your images look great. Could add a real dark mood to them.

What do you use to edit your images? There's some great free online software like photopea if you don't have access to adobe ps or lr"

We have the full adobe suite but mostly use LR, trying to learn to use Premier as well now but there is so much to it.

Additional lighting is something have not tried much, have rarely ever used a flash but will try giving it a go.

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan
over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

I tend to block most people who don’t have public pics.

Why would I want them to see me and critique me if they hide themselves.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"

What do you use to edit your images? There's some great free online software like photopea if you don't have access to adobe ps or lr

We have the full adobe suite but mostly use LR, trying to learn to use Premier as well now but there is so much to it.

Additional lighting is something have not tried much, have rarely ever used a flash but will try giving it a go. "

Yeah lr is good for anything small. As soon as I want to manipulate anything though I use ps. Premier is hard work! Videography has never been my specialty but I find it confusing as it's so different from all other Adobe software.

Yeah off the camera lighting makes a massive difference with portraiture. You can create your own mood and feel to the image regardless of the ambient lighting. I recommend the honeybadger unleashed. Only £300 and it's a powerful wireless flash that I think is excellent value... Well much better than speedlight anyway

over a year ago

Always had a lot of success bwoth the knock-off speedlights from eBay.

Matt Grainger is a lad I learned a lot from.....infact I'm in one of his books called Public Bodies

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Always had a lot of success bwoth the knock-off speedlights from eBay.

Matt Grainger is a lad I learned a lot from.....infact I'm in one of his books called Public Bodies "

Yeah speedlites can be OK. Only issue is if it's bright they literally gave no impact. Even with the 250w of the honeybadger gets easily blown out by strong sunlight.

Not heard of Matt grainger but will check him out. There's a wealth of information online. Wish I had all this available whilst I was training. Think even famous togs like Lee Jeffries and Martin Parr offer workshops online now

over a year ago

I offer my photos for advice. I use an iPhone and have a tripod. Also own a mirrorless but haven't tried taking pics of me with it.

over a year ago

I do all mine on my phone, and use either a tripod, or prop it up on my slipper

over a year ago

I’m lucky to have the whole shebang as far as studio lighting is concerned. It’s great when you do jobs and people are literally paying for your equipment. Can be all done fairly cheaply with kits but watch out for the stewing then of lighting

over a year ago

That should have said strength of light

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I offer my photos for advice. I use an iPhone and have a tripod. Also own a mirrorless but haven't tried taking pics of me with it. "

Get the mirrorless on the go. No point in letting it gather dust

over a year ago

"I offer my photos for advice. I use an iPhone and have a tripod. Also own a mirrorless but haven't tried taking pics of me with it.

Get the mirrorless on the go. No point in letting it gather dust "

It's not, I just use it outside.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I do all mine on my phone, and use either a tripod, or prop it up on my slipper "

Looks like you're doing a great job of it too! God speed to you

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I’m lucky to have the whole shebang as far as studio lighting is concerned. It’s great when you do jobs and people are literally paying for your equipment. Can be all done fairly cheaply with kits but watch out for the stewing then of lighting "

Yeah I'm spoilt and have access to lots of kit. Think a decent set up (one that I'd want to use) is fairly expensive though. All photographic kit is ridiculous at the moment. Been wanting a new medium format camera for a while now but hard to justify the amount of money they're going for

over a year ago

"I do all mine on my phone, and use either a tripod, or prop it up on my slipper

Looks like you're doing a great job of it too! God speed to you"

Thank you

over a year ago

I guess I don't get any advice other than to get my camera out.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I guess I don't get any advice other than to get my camera out. "

Sorry I didn't realise you wanted any. My advice would be the same though, use an actual camera and experiment. Use natural light in various different ways to change the aesthetic

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I would like feedback

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Discretion is important to most people but I would be troubled by someone that claims expertise that cannot take an anonymous photo of themselves, shows a lack of creativity which is perhaps the most important aspect of photography, is it not?

Don't be troubled. Even if I have no credentials advice from myself and others would always help you. Photographers critique their work for each other as it's part of the process. I thought I'd offer a platform for all to offer advice.

Creativity is important but getting drawn into these conversations is not a priority for me. I'm offering something that all photographers can comment on. If you’re not interested, feel free to move on"

There is absolutely no way I would ask you for advice on my photos however, Decadent Devon clearly shows some talent so I'd pick him.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I would like feedback"

Considering you took the majority yourself they look good. I would zoom out a little on some though. Maybe a change of format might help as well

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Creativity is important but getting drawn into these conversations is not a priority for me. I'm offering something that all photographers can comment on. If you’re not interested, feel free to move on

There is absolutely no way I would ask you for advice on my photos however, Decadent Devon clearly shows some talent so I'd pick him."

Thanks for your input

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I’m not an expert but I’d suggest some better lighting with yours OP, especially the avatar one.

Good Luck though

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I’m not an expert but I’d suggest some better lighting with yours OP, especially the avatar one.

Good Luck though "

You not like the backlit silhouette? Took me ages to take that

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’d like some advice please. I have an old GX7 I use for street photograph with in body stabilisation. When I’m out and about in places like Marrakesh or Lagos the light can often change in and out of markets/tents etc so shoot in manual but set auto ISO. What’s a good shutter speed bearing in mind I’m not using a tripod and myself and people are moving , but i do have stabilisation in the camera body , and sometimes the lens - I use fast prime lenses fir street either 35 or 75 mm equivalent full frame

Thanks !

By *ilf and old fartCouple
over a year ago

Between Ely and Mildenhall

[Removed by poster at 21/12/21 11:30:38]

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"I offer my photos for advice. I use an iPhone and have a tripod. Also own a mirrorless but haven't tried taking pics of me with it. "

I always thought your photographs were impeccable, understated but playful and confident.

That's not a professional opinion; just my own.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"I do all mine on my phone, and use either a tripod, or prop it up on my slipper "

Glass Slipper?

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Everybody should be mindful that we are on the cusp of facial recognition technology that will eventually link your face image to ALL aspects of your life. You will be searchable online, now and for ever, just using your face. Perhaps you don't care, but at least consider the implications when posting face pics.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

Additional lighting is something have not tried much, have rarely ever used a flash but will try giving it a go.

Yeah lr is good for anything small. As soon as I want to manipulate anything though I use ps. Premier is hard work! Videography has never been my specialty but I find it confusing as it's so different from all other Adobe software.

Yeah off the camera lighting makes a massive difference with portraiture. You can create your own mood and feel to the image regardless of the ambient lighting. I recommend the honeybadger unleashed. Only £300 and it's a powerful wireless flash that I think is excellent value... Well much better than speedlight anyway"

You know idea sell bulbs with CLI rating of 100 for £10, 800 and 1600 lumens you can put one at 45 degrees to the subject and get light in both her eyes then another to the side like a kicker/cheek light making a nice soft Rembrandt triangle on her face, , low aperture and black background studio quality effects for next to nothing.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I’d like some advice please. I have an old GX7 I use for street photograph with in body stabilisation. When I’m out and about in places like Marrakesh or Lagos the light can often change in and out of markets/tents etc so shoot in manual but set auto ISO. What’s a good shutter speed bearing in mind I’m not using a tripod and myself and people are moving , but i do have stabilisation in the camera body , and sometimes the lens - I use fast prime lenses fir street either 35 or 75 mm equivalent full frame

Thanks ! "

Thanks for your question!

First off, I would set the iso yourself as sometimes yhe camera will mess this up. Then, I would focus on the aperture more than the shutter. If you have prime set lenses, hopefully you'll have an aperture below 2.0. As long as this is low and you have a shutter of about 1/60 you should be fine with light and no movement. I often shoot at night with my nikon 50mm 1.4. Can even manage to get the iso down to 400 - 640 with the aperture set to 1.4.

Hope this helps

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

They are nice playful shots, you could look into the framing and things like rule of thirds to make the composition even better , and dint be scared of the mirrorless! One thing at a time , to start just shoot in P and learn to set ISO and exposure compensation yourself

over a year ago

"I offer my photos for advice. I use an iPhone and have a tripod. Also own a mirrorless but haven't tried taking pics of me with it.

I always thought your photographs were impeccable, understated but playful and confident.

That's not a professional opinion; just my own."

Thank you

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I’d like some advice please. I have an old GX7 I use for street photograph with in body stabilisation. When I’m out and about in places like Marrakesh or Lagos the light can often change in and out of markets/tents etc so shoot in manual but set auto ISO. What’s a good shutter speed bearing in mind I’m not using a tripod and myself and people are moving , but i do have stabilisation in the camera body , and sometimes the lens - I use fast prime lenses fir street either 35 or 75 mm equivalent full frame

Thanks !

First off, I would set the iso yourself as sometimes yhe camera will mess this up. Then, I would focus on the aperture more than the shutter. If you have prime set lenses, hopefully you'll have an aperture below 2.0. As long as this is low and you have a shutter of about 1/60 you should be fine with light and no movement. I often shoot at night with my nikon 50mm 1.4. Can even manage to get the iso down to 400 - 640 with the aperture set to 1.4.

Hope this helps"

Thanks! Interesting, I don’t agree but thanks anyway

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"

Yeah off the camera lighting makes a massive difference with portraiture. You can create your own mood and feel to the image regardless of the ambient lighting. I recommend the honeybadger unleashed. Only £300 and it's a powerful wireless flash that I think is excellent value... Well much better than speedlight anyway

You know idea sell bulbs with CLI rating of 100 for £10, 800 and 1600 lumens you can put one at 45 degrees to the subject and get light in both her eyes then another to the side like a kicker/cheek light making a nice soft Rembrandt triangle on her face, , low aperture and black background studio quality effects for next to nothing. "

With no diffusers though this would create such harsh light. I used to use make shift lighting but after investing in a proper strobe, there's no going back

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Thanks !

Hope this helps

Thanks! Interesting, I don’t agree but thanks anyway "

In what way don't you agree? This is pretty simple stuff. Light management and how to set up you camera should be he first thing you learn

over a year ago

They are nice playful shots, you could look into the framing and things like rule of thirds to make the composition even better , and dint be scared of the mirrorless! One thing at a time , to start just shoot in P and learn to set ISO and exposure compensation yourself "

Thank you. When photographing myself, I haven't applied the same rules that I do when photographing others or nature (what I usually photograph). Just because I find all my focus is on posing/ how much to reveal etc.

I've twice used my mirrorless for self-portraits (clothed) and they turned out well. I do shoot in manual mode but I have a lot more to learn.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"I would like feedback

Considering you took the majority yourself they look good. I would zoom out a little on some though. Maybe a change of format might help as well"

Ty I have no idea what that means.

By *aseMan
over a year ago

Gourock

Where's your pics????

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Thanks !

Hope this helps

In what way don't you agree? This is pretty simple stuff. Light management and how to set up you camera should be he first thing you learn "

When doing street photography you need to be very fast, and like I said lighting can change as you move around. Choosing to compromise on a bit of noise through sub optimal ISO for the real value of a fast shot gives much better results than having to keep adjusting ISO so I choose manual , appropriate shutter speed and aperture and let the camera set the ISO within limits.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

They are nice playful shots, you could look into the framing and things like rule of thirds to make the composition even better , and dint be scared of the mirrorless! One thing at a time , to start just shoot in P and learn to set ISO and exposure compensation yourself

Thank you. When photographing myself, I haven't applied the same rules that I do when photographing others or nature (what I usually photograph). Just because I find all my focus is on posing/ how much to reveal etc.

I've twice used my mirrorless for self-portraits (clothed) and they turned out well. I do shoot in manual mode but I have a lot more to learn. "

Understood. You could still apply basics of creative composition even with an iPhone. Simple things like taking the shot , looking at it then adjusting angle , focal length and removing objects , using a phi grid etc will make a huge difference

By *aunchy RaccoonsCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

A swinging photographer not having any pictures on their profile is a pretty poor showing.

You can still be discreet with pictures.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Thanks !

Hope this helps

In what way don't you agree? This is pretty simple stuff. Light management and how to set up you camera should be he first thing you learn

When doing street photography you need to be very fast, and like I said lighting can change as you move around. Choosing to compromise on a bit of noise through sub optimal ISO for the real value of a fast shot gives much better results than having to keep adjusting ISO so I choose manual , appropriate shutter speed and aperture and let the camera set the ISO within limits. "

So if the light keeps changing would it not be simpler to set the iso manually then adjust the aperture? Saving you lots of time. I don't know any pros that would choose the camera's adjustments over their own knowledge. The last thing I want is more noise and if you let the camera set the iso it usually over compensates. Too much noise equals bad photography where as an aperture adjustment would just change the dof slightly which wouldn't even be noticeable

By *asiKhanMan
over a year ago

luton

Feedback

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I would like feedback

Considering you took the majority yourself they look good. I would zoom out a little on some though. Maybe a change of format might help as well

Ty I have no idea what that means. "

A change of camera. If you're just self promoting though what you've got will prob do you

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"A swinging photographer not having any pictures on their profile is a pretty poor showing.

You can still be discreet with pictures."

I'm not a swinging photographer.... God knows how you would make money doing that. I'm a photographer who swings, he ce the reason I'm not requesting any models

By *ny1localMan
over a year ago

READING

No fancy equipment here, just a brick phone and timer feel free anyone to comment.

By *aunchy RaccoonsCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

"A swinging photographer not having any pictures on their profile is a pretty poor showing.

You can still be discreet with pictures.

I'm not a swinging photographer.... God knows how you would make money doing that. I'm a photographer who swings, he ce the reason I'm not requesting any models"

Sorry that's what we meant. A photographer that Swings.

over a year ago

That’s a bit unfair, there has been a trend of posts recently where sinhles w/o a couple’s profile are asking a 3rd wheel ‘for their other half’. So surely this sets a orecident for offering advice in a subject with claimed expertise but no demonstrable track record?

I was thinking of offering Swahili to Japanese translation service on that very basis! Am fookin ace at google!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"No fancy equipment here, just a brick phone and timer feel free anyone to comment. "

I personally think your photos are pretty good. They show that you've thought about what to take.

over a year ago

Just a phone, a little lighting and an editing app for me.

It’s something that I would like to get into more but it’s finding the time and the investment into it all

over a year ago

I've twice used my mirrorless for self-portraits (clothed) and they turned out well. I do shoot in manual mode but I have a lot more to learn.

Understood. You could still apply basics of creative composition even with an iPhone. Simple things like taking the shot , looking at it then adjusting angle , focal length and removing objects , using a phi grid etc will make a huge difference "

I agree. I've just focussed entirely on feeling comfortable with my body on camera to start with. It's me not the camera. It's so much easier taking pics of other people!

over a year ago

Not a pro snapper, but have been a keen amateur for years. you have the biggest ingredient. An eye for a great composition and good imagination. And the technical capture is more than good enough for Fab. So unless you’re planning on publishing a book I’d not worry about it. Just keep having fun and posting great pics

over a year ago

Understood. You could still apply basics of creative composition even with an iPhone. Simple things like taking the shot , looking at it then adjusting angle , focal length and removing objects , using a phi grid etc will make a huge difference

I agree. I've just focussed entirely on feeling comfortable with my body on camera to start with. It's me not the camera. It's so much easier taking pics of other people! "

Your colour Nov/Dec photos are great. Lots of fun, really show a bubbly character and some imagination. The black and white ones maybe not quite as interesting. But noting wrong with them at all. They all yell a story.

Merry Christmas!

over a year ago

I think we all like looking at photography, but that doesn’t mean you/we are experienced in directing others on how best to pose, unless of course you are a real professional photographer and know what you’re talking about?

over a year ago

Ok OP. Do your worst.

Bonus point if you can tell which ones were taken on EOS 1dS vs iPhone

over a year ago

"I do all mine on my phone, and use either a tripod, or prop it up on my slipper

Not a pro snapper, but have been a keen amateur for years. you have the biggest ingredient. An eye for a great composition and good imagination. And the technical capture is more than good enough for Fab. So unless you’re planning on publishing a book I’d not worry about it. Just keep having fun and posting great pics "

Thank you

By *ny1localMan
over a year ago

READING

"No fancy equipment here, just a brick phone and timer feel free anyone to comment.

I personally think your photos are pretty good. They show that you've thought about what to take.

"

thank you, you're too kind

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

I just use my phone, looking to get a dslr camera soon though as I love taking photos of lots of different things

over a year ago

I agree. I've just focussed entirely on feeling comfortable with my body on camera to start with. It's me not the camera. It's so much easier taking pics of other people!

Your colour Nov/Dec photos are great. Lots of fun, really show a bubbly character and some imagination. The black and white ones maybe not quite as interesting. But noting wrong with them at all. They all yell a story.

Merry Christmas!

"

Thank you for taking the time! I appreciate all that you've said.

I'd say the 2017 pics were with an SLR?

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

Anybody in our area who needs help with photographs is welcome to contact us. That includes arranging a photo shoot when it is safe to meet of course.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"No fancy equipment here, just a brick phone and timer feel free anyone to comment. "

No need for the perceived self-deprecation - in my humble opinion your photos are just 'natural', down-to-earth and 'non contrived'.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Thanks !

Hope this helps

When doing street photography you need to be very fast, and like I said lighting can change as you move around. Choosing to compromise on a bit of noise through sub optimal ISO for the real value of a fast shot gives much better results than having to keep adjusting ISO so I choose manual , appropriate shutter speed and aperture and let the camera set the ISO within limits.

So if the light keeps changing would it not be simpler to set the iso manually then adjust the aperture? Saving you lots of time. I don't know any pros that would choose the camera's adjustments over their own knowledge. The last thing I want is more noise and if you let the camera set the iso it usually over compensates. Too much noise equals bad photography where as an aperture adjustment would just change the dof slightly which wouldn't even be noticeable"

Im not a pro , I don’t have a degree in photography like you , I’m a street , portrait, landscape and glamour/kink photographer and a bit of noise is absolutely fine on street photography if I get the shots I’m after. But many pros I know often shoot semi manual, depending on the location and objectives

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"Ok OP. Do your worst.

Bonus point if you can tell which ones were taken on EOS 1dS vs iPhone "

Yeah you can tell you like to experiment!

Right first off, 19th and 14th July are an slr because of tge depth of field. 19th is my fav because I like the focusing with the focal point clearly being...

Hard to tell on the others though.

If I were you I would stock with the Canon. Those photos are clearly better.

Do you play around much with lighting. Think some natural light on a bright day could add some shadows and add a but of mystique.

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I think we all like looking at photography, but that doesn’t mean you/we are experienced in directing others on how best to pose, unless of course you are a real professional photographer and know what you’re talking about? "

I think looking at photos gives you the experience needed to comment on others' work. When I was studying part of the process was critiquing each other's work so that you understand how your work is percieved. I have been doing photography a long time but that doesn't mean I'm some arrogant douche that thinks his opinion is absolute. More that there's a lot of people on here that might want a second opinion on their images. I've actually seem some really nice work on here so figured it would be a good way to see more.

I never know whether people have missed the point or they just like to argue on here.... I mean, even if I wasn't a pro would my opinion be less valued if it was relevant and on point? Also, I'm opening it up to anyone to comment, professional or not. You can get decent advice from any source, you just have to be open minded enough to listen

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Thanks !

Hope this helps

So if the light keeps changing would it not be simpler to set the iso manually then adjust the aperture? Saving you lots of time. I don't know any pros that would choose the camera's adjustments over their own knowledge. The last thing I want is more noise and if you let the camera set the iso it usually over compensates. Too much noise equals bad photography where as an aperture adjustment would just change the dof slightly which wouldn't even be noticeable

Im not a pro , I don’t have a degree in photography like you , I’m a street , portrait, landscape and glamour/kink photographer and a bit of noise is absolutely fine on street photography if I get the shots I’m after. But many pros I know often shoot semi manual, depending on the location and objectives "

I don't know any pros that would take the risk of letting the camera do what they can do much better. It makes no sense. Literally the first thing you learn is how to use the camera fully on manual so you can create the desired aesthetic, and that includes iso.

Don't opt for the noise. Shoot in raw and open that aperture up. Look at work of the likes of teemu jarvinen and Omi Kim for inspiration. They are masters of low light low aperture shooting with hardly any noise

over a year ago

I took some slightly different photos yesterday (my camera isn't working so just with my phone) and feedback appreciated.

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"I took some slightly different photos yesterday (my camera isn't working so just with my phone) and feedback appreciated. "

Very good overall and you have a good feel for a nice erotic photos.

A couple of general pieces advice I'll share. It's good to get into a habit of planning your photos and being very sure about what you want to capture and why, and what you want to convey with that photo.

On your profile picture, I really like the concept and idea. What I will say is look at where the focus is of attention is drawn to - it's mainly the top of your head. I wouldn't be looking at drawing attention to that on this site. Also worth noticing all the empty space above your head. That adds nothing to the photo and shouldn't be there. If I was taking that photo I'd have your head at the top of the photo with your cleavage being in the centre or else I'd have your head at the top and move you to the side and use the lingerie strap strap as the focal point.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

We take our pics using a phone and a tripod…most pics are all in the editing and having a good eye.

You could have the best equipment and still not ever be able to take a decent pic.

K

over a year ago

"I took some slightly different photos yesterday (my camera isn't working so just with my phone) and feedback appreciated.

Very good overall and you have a good feel for a nice erotic photos.

A couple of general pieces advice I'll share. It's good to get into a habit of planning your photos and being very sure about what you want to capture and why, and what you want to convey with that photo.

On your profile picture, I really like the concept and idea. What I will say is look at where the focus is of attention is drawn to - it's mainly the top of your head. I wouldn't be looking at drawing attention to that on this site. Also worth noticing all the empty space above your head. That adds nothing to the photo and shouldn't be there. If I was taking that photo I'd have your head at the top of the photo with your cleavage being in the centre or else I'd have your head at the top and move you to the side and use the lingerie strap strap as the focal point.

"

Thank you so much for taking the time. I do appreciate that. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to achieve but i was just using the timer and free styling. I'd prefer to use the phone as a remote for the camera. I had items on the wall behind the bed which I removed. I felt they were a bit identifying but need to think more about the space. Very helpful, thank you again

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I took some slightly different photos yesterday (my camera isn't working so just with my phone) and feedback appreciated. "

Your pics are good in terms of the subject but you need a focus. Your last pic doesn’t really lead your eye to anything. That last pic probably needed to be taken a lot further out to show you on the bed on all fours.

A pic should tell a story or have a focus…a lot of your pics do have a focus though, just the last couple don’t really lead the eyes anywhere…

K

over a year ago

"We take our pics using a phone and a tripod…most pics are all in the editing and having a good eye.

You could have the best equipment and still not ever be able to take a decent pic.

K "

It must be quite a different experience working with two people. I love that you experiment so much with your photos. Personally I don't want to do much editing, I want to get better at the lighting and use of space.

over a year ago

"We take our pics using a phone and a tripod…most pics are all in the editing and having a good eye.

K "

You have a fantastic eye, and are so creative with your pics

over a year ago

K

It must be quite a different experience working with two people. I love that you experiment so much with your photos. Personally I don't want to do much editing, I want to get better at the lighting and use of space. "

Great lighting is the best tool in your box!

over a year ago

K

It must be quite a different experience working with two people. I love that you experiment so much with your photos. Personally I don't want to do much editing, I want to get better at the lighting and use of space.

Great lighting is the best tool in your box!"

I've only ever used natural light for anything so I have a load to learn

over a year ago

K

I've only ever used natural light for anything so I have a load to learn "

I only ever use natural light, but you can get lovely effects from that. Sunlight through a window for example.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

K

It must be quite a different experience working with two people. I love that you experiment so much with your photos. Personally I don't want to do much editing, I want to get better at the lighting and use of space. "

We don’t edit our pics that they are unrecognisable, we change the lighting and crop the frame mainly, so the focus is centered. We take out anything that we think may detract…a light switch for example…or blur the background.

It’s mainly so the focus is on what we want you to see…either us or the story we are trying to tell.

Preparation is important and ensuring you have an idea of what you want too or have a loose idea of what you want and play around.

Having two of us in the pic does open new opportunities in terms of pics we can take but we both told stories on our single profiles on here…so there’s no limitations. There’s plenty of ideas for single person pics.

K

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

K

You have a fantastic eye, and are so creative with your pics "

Thank you… …you have a creative eye too…you’ve started using different locations for pics too and that opens up new pic opportunities too.

That chair pic will take some beating…it’s just the natural relaxed pose which makes it sexy. Less is more at times

K

over a year ago

I like some feedback..let me know when you are on line and I'll make some of my friends ones public

over a year ago

K

Thank you… …you have a creative eye too…you’ve started using different locations for pics too and that opens up new pic opportunities too.

That chair pic will take some beating…it’s just the natural relaxed pose which makes it sexy. Less is more at times

K"

The Christine keeler one, or the B&W?

Thank you

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

K

K

Thank you "

K

K

Thank you "

The Christine Keeler one - it’s one C has wanted to do for so long but we couldn’t find the right chair

It shows off your legs perfectly…

over a year ago

K

K

Thank you

We take our pics using a phone and a tripod…most pics are all in the editing and having a good eye.

K

K

Thank you

The Christine Keeler one - it’s one C has wanted to do for so long but we couldn’t find the right chair

It shows off your legs perfectly… "

Thank you

By *rPeachyMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Hippychick you've never posted a single bad photo in all the months I've been perving on here - I mean participating in the forums

over a year ago

"Hippychick you've never posted a single bad photo in all the months I've been perving on here - I mean participating in the forums "

Aww, that’s lovely. Thank you

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I like some feedback..let me know when you are on line and I'll make some of my friends ones public "

Hey, so some nice shots you got there. Were the first two taken in a studio? If so, I think a single light would be better so the lighting isn't so clean. A few deep dark shadows would add mood to the images.

I like the one where you have on blue underwear the lighting is really nice in this, natural I'm guessing but softened to gi e it a great feel.

Feel free to let me know if you want me to look at more

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

K

I've only ever used natural light for anything so I have a load to learn

I only ever use natural light, but you can get lovely effects from that. Sunlight through a window for example."

There's a lot of potential with your images. Like the one with wings could be a stunner but would have to be full body. You're positioned behind a bed or something and it makes th image look cluttered.

Yeah keep doing what you're doing in regards to light. Angle your body so different areas of it catch the light and experiment. Some of the best shoots I've ever done have only involved natural light as it can be great

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

If you're keen on photography OP, then where are all your public photos?

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

K

We don’t edit our pics that they are unrecognisable, we change the lighting and crop the frame mainly, so the focus is centered. We take out anything that we think may detract…a light switch for example…or blur the background.

It’s mainly so the focus is on what we want you to see…either us or the story we are trying to tell.

Preparation is important and ensuring you have an idea of what you want too or have a loose idea of what you want and play around.

Having two of us in the pic does open new opportunities in terms of pics we can take but we both told stories on our single profiles on here…so there’s no limitations. There’s plenty of ideas for single person pics.

K

"

I like your work. You obviously have fun shooting. I would go down the photoshop route if I were you. Set up a Tom Hussey style shoot with the mirror. All you need is a tripod for the shoot then a simple layer mask to blend the images. I love stuff like that!

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"If you're keen on photography OP, then where are all your public photos?"

I've said it quite a few times but I don't come here for work. I wouldn't put any pics of others on here because all the ownership disputes and the only images ì have on here are of me and not taken by me. I have a website and social media for those i want to see me work. Swing photography does interest me but unless it's a gritty documentary book I can't really see how there's money to be made... I would rather concentrate on my own work. I do understand your scepticism though

over a year ago

I use my phone but would love to know how to use the pro mode on it, I have real difficulty in getting the light right. My phone is an S21 Ultra..so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"Hippychick you've never posted a single bad photo in all the months I've been perving on here - I mean participating in the forums

Aww, that’s lovely. Thank you "

I agree with this comment, every photo you post looks amazing

over a year ago

"Hippychick you've never posted a single bad photo in all the months I've been perving on here - I mean participating in the forums

Aww, that’s lovely. Thank you

I agree with this comment, every photo you post looks amazing "

Aww, thanks

over a year ago

"I like some feedback..let me know when you are on line and I'll make some of my friends ones public

Hey, so some nice shots you got there. Were the first two taken in a studio? If so, I think a single light would be better so the lighting isn't so clean. A few deep dark shadows would add mood to the images.

I like the one where you have on blue underwear the lighting is really nice in this, natural I'm guessing but softened to gi e it a great feel.

Feel free to let me know if you want me to look at more"

Thank you.. I've just made some more public if you want to take a look through...

They are all taken in the same room (except the Daddy blue pants, which is a video grab from a different location, hence slightly softer)

I shoot with a fixed light source from the hallway, which shines into my unilluminated room. I shoot against a grey wall - but currently it is temporarily covered with a black /grey scarf, so darker than normal. Hence i have a lot of 'grain / noise' in the images

They are all taken with my phone, mostly with a tripod + 2 second timer

The lighting variation is due to time of year and also the time of day.

By *acDreamyMan
over a year ago

Wirral

We bought some photography lights and screens but often get better shots with just normal lighting. I suspect we aren't using it right.

over a year ago

"We bought some photography lights and screens but often get better shots with just normal lighting. I suspect we aren't using it right. "

I don’t think you can beat natural light

By *acDreamyMan
over a year ago

Wirral

"We bought some photography lights and screens but often get better shots with just normal lighting. I suspect we aren't using it right.

I don’t think you can beat natural light "

Agreed. It's dark and dreary at this time of year though.

over a year ago

"We bought some photography lights and screens but often get better shots with just normal lighting. I suspect we aren't using it right.

I don’t think you can beat natural light "

No natural light in my bedroom its like Dracula's crypt

over a year ago

Agreed. It's dark and dreary at this time of year though. "

I know it’s horrendous… its why I’ve not took any new

over a year ago

No natural light in my bedroom its like Dracula's crypt "

Same here! It’s just been dull grey skies the last x amount of weeks here

By *acDreamyMan
over a year ago

Wirral

I know it’s horrendous… its why I’ve not took any new "

Me neither. That and all the Christmas cake!

over a year ago

I know it’s horrendous… its why I’ve not took any new

Me neither. That and all the Christmas cake! "

We'll fix that on the fitness thread!

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

K

K

I like your work. You obviously have fun shooting. I would go down the photoshop route if I were you. Set up a Tom Hussey style shoot with the mirror. All you need is a tripod for the shoot then a simple layer mask to blend the images. I love stuff like that! "

The only problem with the Tom Hussey style pics is that they are face pics but we like the type of pics and they are similar to some pics we’ve got in mind coming up

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

K

K

I like your work. You obviously have fun shooting. I would go down the photoshop route if I were you. Set up a Tom Hussey style shoot with the mirror. All you need is a tripod for the shoot then a simple layer mask to blend the images. I love stuff like that! "

Thank you too x

By *aliceWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Some great pics from the respondents here

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"I like some feedback..let me know when you are on line and I'll make some of my friends ones public

Thank you.. I've just made some more public if you want to take a look through...

They are all taken in the same room (except the Daddy blue pants, which is a video grab from a different location, hence slightly softer)

I shoot with a fixed light source from the hallway, which shines into my unilluminated room. I shoot against a grey wall - but currently it is temporarily covered with a black /grey scarf, so darker than normal. Hence i have a lot of 'grain / noise' in the images

"

Well you're doing well!

Yeah the images look like studio because of the black background. You have a nice variation of different compositions. Keep doing what you're doing I say.

Maybe consider getting a 2nd hand slr and do some editing would be thd next steps

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

K

K

I like your work. You obviously have fun shooting. I would go down the photoshop route if I were you. Set up a Tom Hussey style shoot with the mirror. All you need is a tripod for the shoot then a simple layer mask to blend the images. I love stuff like that!

The only problem with the Tom Hussey style pics is that they are face pics but we like the type of pics and they are similar to some pics we’ve got in mind coming up "

I just like the idea of one shot being them looking all proper and another with them naked or something. Could do a split personality series.

over a year ago

Well you're doing well!

Yeah the images look like studio because of the black background. You have a nice variation of different compositions. Keep doing what you're doing I say.

Maybe consider getting a 2nd hand slr and do some editing would be thd next steps"

Thank you

My phone can shoot in raw and it has 'pro' settings, but i don't have much storage space.. Or a pc, so all editing would be done on my phone - and i find LR a pita

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

"We bought some photography lights and screens but often get better shots with just normal lighting. I suspect we aren't using it right. "

Yeah it could be the lighting also. Does your lighting stay on constantly or is it flash? Flash is much better for photography. Model light are more for video and are hard to use. Even with flash you can struggle for power. Flash lighting is a tricky and very expensive thing

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

K

K

The only problem with the Tom Hussey style pics is that they are face pics but we like the type of pics and they are similar to some pics we’ve got in mind coming up

I just like the idea of one shot being them looking all proper and another with them naked or something. Could do a split personality series. "

That’s the idea we have for a future pics - dressed and underwear shots in the same pic. We’ll give them a try…

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Well you're doing well!

Maybe consider getting a 2nd hand slr and do some editing would be thd next steps

Thank you

My phone can shoot in raw and it has 'pro' settings, but i don't have much storage space.. Or a pc, so all editing would be done on my phone - and i find LR a pita "

Ahh nice! Crazy that phones can shoot in raw! That would be handy for editing but as you say takes up loads of space. Lightroom is awesome if you just want to touch up your photos. There are also free photoshop rip offs online if you want to manipulate your images furher. Crazy time we live in. I remember if you had a copy of photoshop you were the one

over a year ago

Well you're doing well!

Thank you

My phone can shoot in raw and it has 'pro' settings, but i don't have much storage space.. Or a pc, so all editing would be done on my phone - and i find LR a pita

Ahh nice! Crazy that phones can shoot in raw! That would be handy for editing but as you say takes up loads of space. Lightroom is awesome if you just want to touch up your photos. There are also free photoshop rip offs online if you want to manipulate your images furher. Crazy time we live in. I remember if you had a copy of photoshop you were the one"

I use the phone editing tools to crop and i also heal/clone distracting background noise on the stupid scarf. I slightly boost the contrast, saturation +add a bit of grain to reduce the natural 'video look'. I also reduce the highlights +shadows. Then i add a frame +watermark in snapseed.. Sometimes i desaturate it as i really like the decayed faded look

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

K

K

I just like the idea of one shot being them looking all proper and another with them naked or something. Could do a split personality series.

That’s the idea we have for a future pics - dressed and underwear shots in the same pic. We’ll give them a try…"

Message me if you have the shots and want help editing. I've done this a few times and the key to it is not moving the camera for both shots. I'm guessing you already know that but worth mentioning. Thankful that my job has allowed to try these techniques out on the regular. Also message if you need any free software recommendations. Found a couple of great photoshop rip offs for those who don't have access to ps

By *heirry84 OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlands

Well you're doing well!

Thank you

Ahh nice! Crazy that phones can shoot in raw! That would be handy for editing but as you say takes up loads of space. Lightroom is awesome if you just want to touch up your photos. There are also free photoshop rip offs online if you want to manipulate your images furher. Crazy time we live in. I remember if you had a copy of photoshop you were the one

I use the phone editing tools to crop and i also heal/clone distracting background noise on the stupid scarf. I slightly boost the contrast, saturation +add a bit of grain to reduce the natural 'video look'. I also reduce the highlights +shadows. Then i add a frame +watermark in snapseed.. Sometimes i desaturate it as i really like the decayed faded look"

That's really good! Find your style and stick to it is the best way to go. I could tell you a fair few photographers just by the camera they are using and the way it is edited.

I always found the 3 c's served me well. Crop, contrast and clarity were my go to settings. Although lightroom now has texture, clarity and dehaze making it a bit more confusing. There might be some free presets you can download online to see how other photographers edit. My mate had one by teemu jarvinen on his phone which was awesome for night images

Post new Message to Thread