Back to The Lounge

Forum crap runners W/C 13/12/21

Jump to newest

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January 2018, a bunch of Fabbers began improving their fitness through running. None of them were natural athletes but they did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (Mrs T used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it (I mean reeeeeeeeeally bad), you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

FOR MORE EXPERIENCED RUNNERS:

Tell us what you’re up to with your running, your training and your races. Let’s us know your highs and lows. Please cheer on the newbies and give advice if they ask.

Finally- if you’re working towards a specific goal, share it here

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I actually remembered today! (Go me!)

After the weekend’s shenanigans and dancing like a loon for a few hours on my Achilles injury without any pain, I’m thinking that a gentle run might be in order soon…

How are you folks getting on?

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

May try to get to gym later today even for a light run.

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

4 miles out and back, it helps break the monotony while away.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nothing and I am sick I hate the breaks.

over a year ago

I increased my distance today, just a tiddy bit, but I'm reyt pleased. My sciatica is much, much better and I'm listening to my muscles as I am running, not too fast, slowing down when I feel I need too, plus I've had a couple of myofascial release massages which are I think are brilliant!

I'll get to that park run yet!

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Does anyone else have this I find my boxers rub against my inner thighs - painful at times. Do people use Vaseline or anything on legs to stop this. It annoys me as the chaffing rules me out of running for a few days till it heals.

over a year ago

"Does anyone else have this I find my boxers rub against my inner thighs - painful at times. Do people use Vaseline or anything on legs to stop this. It annoys me as the chaffing rules me out of running for a few days till it heals. "

Err no. But in the summer I use roll on on those parts to prevent some chaffing. Maybe worth trying?

over a year ago

I walk fast, past Gyms......does this count?

over a year ago

"Does anyone else have this I find my boxers rub against my inner thighs - painful at times. Do people use Vaseline or anything on legs to stop this. It annoys me as the chaffing rules me out of running for a few days till it heals. "

I’m not a runner, more of a bicycleist, but would recommend you try chamois cream on your thighs. And consider using a jockstrap to keep the boys in check too.

over a year ago

I have my first half marathon in 3 and a bit weeks in Farnborough. Anyone else here running it also?

over a year ago

"I have my first half marathon in 3 and a bit weeks in Farnborough. Anyone else here running it also?"

Best of luck let us know how it went. Hopefully someone experienced jumps in with some tips too.

over a year ago

"I have my first half marathon in 3 and a bit weeks in Farnborough. Anyone else here running it also?"

This is awesome, all the best for it

You will be tapering your training runs soon and won't feel like you've put enough effort in... don't get tempted to run and push yourself, listen to your training plan and rest your legs as you have done the hard work.

Let us know how you get on.

NBVN x

over a year ago

"I have my first half marathon in 3 and a bit weeks in Farnborough. Anyone else here running it also?

This is awesome, all the best for it

You will be tapering your training runs soon and won't feel like you've put enough effort in... don't get tempted to run and push yourself, listen to your training plan and rest your legs as you have done the hard work.

Let us know how you get on.

NBVN x"

Hey ! I didnt want to take over other thread with running discussion but as for running goals I want to do charity 10k run in November. And to run below average finish time for my home park run I'm feeling like I will need to take it easy first but with some perseverance I'll be back on track. And good luck for March ! That's amazing that you are doing it again x

over a year ago

I restarted running yesterday after 5 weeks off and Covid. I did 3.5 miles on road yesterday and 7.5 miles of trail running today. Feels awesome to be back out there.

I start a virtual challenge for January, to run 268 miles. I completed it last January and so it's becoming an annual thing for me now.

Then I bounce straight into marathon training for a marathon in mid march. This event is 70% Road and 30% trail.

NBVN x

By *evonshireboyMan
over a year ago

North Devon

Did a nine miler over Dunkery Beacon in ridiculously atrocious weather.

I'm sure the scenery is lovely, but in the wind, rain and cloud I didn't really see any of it. I just got very cold, very wet and very tired and had to revive my spirits in the pub with a pint of ale in front of the fire.

over a year ago

"I restarted running yesterday after 5 weeks off and Covid. I did 3.5 miles on road yesterday and 7.5 miles of trail running today. Feels awesome to be back out there.

I start a virtual challenge for January, to run 268 miles. I completed it last January and so it's becoming an annual thing for me now.

Then I bounce straight into marathon training for a marathon in mid march. This event is 70% Road and 30% trail.

NBVN x"

Awesome hat off. I'm back on Friday. Bit scared!

over a year ago

"Did a nine miler over Dunkery Beacon in ridiculously atrocious weather.

I'm sure the scenery is lovely, but in the wind, rain and cloud I didn't really see any of it. I just got very cold, very wet and very tired and had to revive my spirits in the pub with a pint of ale in front of the fire."

That pub scenery sounds more tempting than the run

over a year ago

All I think when I'm running is that Jim will fix it is right behind me, sure gets me running.

over a year ago

"I restarted running yesterday after 5 weeks off and Covid. I did 3.5 miles on road yesterday and 7.5 miles of trail running today. Feels awesome to be back out there.

NBVN x

Awesome hat off. I'm back on Friday. Bit scared!"

Let us know how you get on, it won't be as hard as you fear it to be. I was rather pleasantly surprised and relieved.

NBVN x

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Got out to sale water parkrun this morning - slowest time ever.

However 3 hrs sleep as I got in from Cupids at 3.30am, 9 hours sleep since 5.30am on Thursday. 3rd 5km in 5 days. So was running on fumes and harribo to get around

Also it was a mixture of muddy trails and crushed brick, which was asking for a twisted ankle, so was running a lot slower to make sure no NY injuries.

I got around, ticked another parkrun off my lists.

26 parkruns - 18 locations.

Sleepy Mike

By *lla4everTV/TS
over a year ago

Overseas

I just did my first half marathon this morning and it felt great! Not the best time but I'm so chuffed that I can actually do it It's one of my goals this year to join a half marathon race so I'm feeling more confident now!

Resting in my duvet now

over a year ago

I finally did my first 5k today. I am so pleased (and a bit achey)

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"I finally did my first 5k today. I am so pleased (and a bit achey) "

Congrats!!!!

over a year ago

I’ve downloaded couch to 5k and did my first venture out yesterday with my dogs (which was a bit if a gamble)

It was a lot easier than I expected, I stayed upright and can walk today so all positive so far!

Next run tomorrow

By *unning-ManMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I run with my dog too, in the mud staying upright can be challenge if they get sight of a squirrel

over a year ago

Ive been running a while

Did GNR x2

Random 10k runs all over north east

Regular at parkrun

Try and get out at least once a week for a training run, twice if work allows it. Then a long run on a sunday (weather pending)

Good luck to everyone in their running journey!

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Been twice in gym this week

4.5km at about 7.12 a km - not to quick but steady in gym (a further 0.5km on cross trainer) - stop

0.5km brisk walk, 1km run (quicker than current run pace) , 0.5km brisk walk, 0.5km run (quicker than current run pace), rest 0.5km brisk walk 1km run (quicker than current run pace), 1km jog (slight slower than run pace) - stop

Both have been good for building up to this weeks parkrun (tomorrow)

For me it’s all about improving fitness. I have a goal to get back to run about 6 mins a km for 5 km - not run that for about 16 months due to injuries. Also want to finish a 10km under an hour later in year.

Goal for next week will be to add - 1 outdoor brisk walking session to workouts in gym. So to walk the entire 5km brisk walking. Then after a few weeks (3/4) add a second session. In the mean time moving runs quicker and quicker.

I still have anxiety about my back holding up, and going again. Also doing this slowly I know I am building it up.

over a year ago

I did a 5k again today, 30 seconds faster than last time, I'm so pleased. I my hula hoop out for a couple of minutes during warm up too. I'm not seeing any physical difference yet but I am sleeping better and my sciatica is much improved

Post new Message to Thread