FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Boxing fans? Favourite fighter of all time and why?

Jump to newest

By *ensual-dominant-passion OP   Man
over a year ago

sheffield

Any boxing fans on here… who’s your favourite fighter of all time? And why?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Katie taylor. Sexy as fuck

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

So many to list:

Thomas The Hitman Hearns

Marvellous Marvin Hagler

Nigel Benn: The Dark Destroyer (his bobbing and weaving on the ropes was a thing of beauty)

Evander Holyfield - surely the most macho dude in the history of humankind - had a heart attack in the ring and carried on fighting until the end(!!!!)

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Katie taylor. Sexy as fuck"

I was thinking along different lines, but now realise that you got the answer right. Thanks for saving me time

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple
over a year ago

Fucksville

Oooh tough one!!!

I love boxing but being a woman I also enjoy the kind of person they are lol x

I loved Ricky Hatton and I love tyson fury (he makes me laugh so much with his vids).

I did like AJ but it all got a bit political and his last match was just painful to watch tbh.

As above if ever Katy Taylor is fighting I always watch, she's phenomenal

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

Sugar Ray Leonard

Ali

Duran

Carlos Palomino

Mike Tyson

over a year ago

Prince Naseem Hamed for the ring walks, coming from Sheffield and a good boxer

By *amrod400Man
over a year ago

belfast

Rocky balboa …

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Tough one there! So many good ones.

Top three: Evander Holyfield, Marvin Hagler and Roy Jones Jr.

Evander for his heart, determination and warrior spirit. Never ducked fighting anyone and took on the best during the heavyweight golden age. Four time world champ and undisputed cruiserweight champion. A smaller man who muscled into big men's turf.

Marvin Hagler for his fanatical dedication to training and perfection. Pound for pound best middleweight in history.

Roy Jones Jr for his inhuman skills, confidence and flash

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

not really a big boxing fan, although used to do a bit when younger, until i realised it really hurt lol.

but the one that sprigs to my mind is Tyson, he used to scare me watching him on tv, would have hated to have faced him in real life, shame as often happens all the money and fame got to him, at his best he was one of the greats

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

Katie Taylor

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Oooh tough one!!!

I loved Ricky Hatton and I love tyson fury (he makes me laugh so much with his vids).

I did like AJ but it all got a bit political and his last match was just painful to watch tbh.

As above if ever Katy Taylor is fighting I always watch, she's phenomenal "

You’re ok with fury despite his long history of comments that are racist, misogynistic, homophobic and anti-Semitic?

over a year ago

sheffield

Floyd mayweather…. A lot of people may hate him but he is a ring general… his accuracy… movement… counter punching was just phenomenal!

Style… I’d Have to say Mike Tyson in his prime… in the 80’s when he had the right people around him… that peek a boo style… defence and counter was just amazing to watch.

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

Ali - for his style and social impact.

Ricky Hatton - because he was one of the first people I saw develop and I loved watching his come up.

Roy Jones Jr - Quality until he bloated himself to get to HW & struggled on his way back down

Julian Jackson - absolute sledge hammer puncher.

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple
over a year ago

Fucksville

"Oooh tough one!!!

You’re ok with fury despite his long history of comments that are racist, misogynistic, homophobic and anti-Semitic? "

I've not been privvy to those I'm sorry. I don't read papers or watch TV anymore so I only see what happens in the ring.

I didn't realise that.

But harsh calling me out though tbf when other names mentioned have torrid histories also. Thanks for that....

I will go and have a look now at what you've said but I still Enjoy watching him fight

By *verready5000Man
over a year ago

mansfield

To many to list.

Four kings, Ali, Robinson, Chavez, Pac-Man.

Current crop Fury is entertaining

By *ynonvalleyboyMan
over a year ago

merthyr

Calzaghie

By *r-8-BBCMan
over a year ago

LONDON

"Any boxing fans on here… who’s your favourite fighter of all time? And why? "

This is a tought question

over a year ago

Men hard one but got to say Joe Calzaghe

Woman that’s easy Holly Holm

over a year ago

Will always be Nigel Benn for me, never a dull fight, and never more dangerous than when he was hurt. True heart of a warrior.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Mohammed Ali xx

Because he was great

over a year ago

"Oooh tough one!!!

You’re ok with fury despite his long history of comments that are racist, misogynistic, homophobic and anti-Semitic? "

Blah blah blah blah blah etc

over a year ago

sheffield

Manny pacquiao… took on the best.. morales, Barrera, Marquez… what a record

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Will always be Nigel Benn for me, never a dull fight, and never more dangerous than when he was hurt. True heart of a warrior."

was it his mum who waided in with her shoe, or was that someone else, memory is crap, anyway it was so funny

over a year ago

Julian "The Hawk" Jackson.

That's some godlike punching power.... Especially for that frame. Still amazes me everytime I watch a video of his knockouts.

over a year ago

Fury at the minute. His battle with mental health and how he came back from that is absolutely amazing.

Katie Taylor is great as well but I really like Ebanie Bridges. She’s done a fantastic job promoting herself and comes across as a really likeable character.

over a year ago

"Any boxing fans on here… who’s your favourite fighter of all time? And why? "

For me it's has to be joe calzaghe

Never lost a fight. And he's Italian lol

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Big Daddy

over a year ago

Always loved watching body punchers and the unpredictable fighters, Ricky Hatton was a favourite. Loved Prince naseem throwing punches from ridiculous angles. Pre jail Tyson was dangerous. Loved it when foreman came back for his last title run, that was unheard of.

over a year ago

My favourite is Mike Tyson, he was an expert at hitting and not getting hit. His style was unmatched by any and the only reason I think he started to lose was his mental state declined. When he boxed under Cus'da Mato he was unstoppable!

over a year ago

"Will always be Nigel Benn for me, never a dull fight, and never more dangerous than when he was hurt. True heart of a warrior.

was it his mum who waided in with her shoe, or was that someone else, memory is crap, anyway it was so funny"

That was lennox Lewis's mam

over a year ago

Nigel Benn

Joe Calzaghe

Prince Nadeem Hamed

But there are so many more and this list could be huge.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Big Daddy"

Was it that sexy red leotard that did it?

This threads reminded me I need to rewatch raging bull over the Christmas holidays

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Big Daddy

Was it that sexy red leotard that did it?

This threads reminded me I need to rewatch raging bull over the Christmas holidays

Yes

"

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

Punch

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"Oooh tough one!!!

You’re ok with fury despite his long history of comments that are racist, misogynistic, homophobic and anti-Semitic?

I've not been privvy to those I'm sorry. I don't read papers or watch TV anymore so I only see what happens in the ring.

I didn't realise that.

But harsh calling me out though tbf when other names mentioned have torrid histories also. Thanks for that....

I will go and have a look now at what you've said but I still Enjoy watching him fight "

Tbf to tyson fury, he also has admitted to his mental health problems And apologised for the crass things he used to come out with.

x

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

Many might not remember him but I used to love Alan Minter, he was a good scrapper and never gave up

Have to say I do like AJ though

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Oooh tough one!!!

Blah blah blah blah blah etc "

Eh?

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

my Favourites,,,joe calzage- That record, and every loud mouth american learned the hard way

Chris eubank,,,an odd man for sure but hard as nails, skilled and his honesty and humility post the michael watson fight.

Canelo alverez,,,just keeps getting better ,no-one can touch him atm

x

over a year ago

sheffield

“Canelo alverez,,,just keeps getting better ,no-one can touch him atm”

Mayweather gave him a boxing lesson

over a year ago

"

Mayweather gave him a boxing lesson "

Canelo has come on loads since that fight back in 2013.. I reckon he would do Mayweather now. Their fight in 2013 was a majority decision too.

over a year ago

The late Great Muhammed Ali

Prince Naseem

Amir Khan (a waste of pure talent)

over a year ago

Prince Naseem.

I think he could have beaten barrera, his only loss (on points) had he put the work in.

He said he didn't train very much at all for that fight.

Just for entertainment value -& how unusual his fighting style is.

over a year ago

"The late Great Muhammed Ali

Prince Naseem

Amir Khan (a waste of pure talent)

"

Can't forget

Tyson 'The Gypsy King'

By *mbatman2021Man
over a year ago

Southampton

Floyd Mayweather althrough not the most exciting fights. His technique was brilliant and his record is incredible.

For most exciting i would say Micky Ward. I remember watching his first fight with Gatti and is honestly the best and most exciting boxing match I've ever seen.

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Will always be Nigel Benn for me, never a dull fight, and never more dangerous than when he was hurt. True heart of a warrior.

was it his mum who waided in with her shoe, or was that someone else, memory is crap, anyway it was so funny

That was lennox Lewis's mam "

remember watching it, i was wetting myself, how dare you hurt my boy lol

By *lofeldMan
over a year ago

Redhill

Punchers with a dodgy chin have always been a good watch, so Hearns, Benn and Julian Jackson used to be must watch.

Of the current crop, Inoue, Josh Taylor, Lomachenko, Beterbiev, Fury are always on my watch list.

I think Canelo is a talent, but roided to the gills so I can't get fond of him.

over a year ago

sheffield

"

Canelo has come on loads since that fight back in 2013.. I reckon he would do Mayweather now. Their fight in 2013 was a majority decision too. "

Not a chance if they were the same weight… Camelot had around 40 fights when he fought mayweather and was a champion… and mayweather was nearly 40 when they fought…

I’m not saying Canelo isn’t a great fight now… but if he was to fight Mayweather now at 154 and he was the same age… he would still lose!

over a year ago

A bit young to remember Ali as he was coming to the end of his career as I was growing up and was well past his prime.

So in my lifetime I would say Tyson. I just liked the fact he would take on all comers and whoever was rated number 1 across the different divisions to unify the title. Nowadays there seems to be a lot of avoiding other boxers.

I also liked Tysons no nonsense style . None of this fancy ringwalk music or glitzy robes . He literally would walk to the ring in what I would describe as a rag.

By *lofeldMan
over a year ago

Redhill

"

Canelo has come on loads since that fight back in 2013.. I reckon he would do Mayweather now. Their fight in 2013 was a majority decision too.

Not a chance if they were the same weight… Camelot had around 40 fights when he fought mayweather and was a champion… and mayweather was nearly 40 when they fought…

I’m not saying Canelo isn’t a great fight now… but if he was to fight Mayweather now at 154 and he was the same age… he would still lose! "

Have to agree.And the judge who scored that a draw was bent. Canelo had stopped listening to his corner after about 8 rounds, he was demoralised.

over a year ago

sheffield

"A bit young to remember Ali as he was coming to the end of his career as I was growing up and was well past his prime.

So in my lifetime I would say Tyson. I just liked the fact he would take on all comers and whoever was rated number 1 across the different divisions to unify the title. Nowadays there seems to be a lot of avoiding other boxers.

I also liked Tysons no nonsense style . None of this fancy ringwalk music or glitzy robes . He literally would walk to the ring in what I would describe as a rag. "

Tysons style has to be one of the most exciting styles in boxing history… soon as you heard the bell ring.. he was straight on to his opponent… offensive with a defensive and countering strategy… coming at you.. but slipping and dodging your punches… then countering you with body shot and uppercut

over a year ago

I’m just sad I never got to see the 3 kings in their Pomp - Ali Frazier Foreman. Throw into the mix fighters like Ken Norton and what a time that must have been to be a boxing fan. My late father used to rave about those fights.

I remember a good few year ago there was an episode on Wogan presented by Joanna Lumley. The guests were the Ali Frazier Foreman and Harry Carpenter was also there . Even though Ali’s Parkinson’s was evident for all to see and Frazier was slurring his words - the aura given off by those 3 was truly magnificent in my opinion. What an era !!!

over a year ago

"I’m just sad I never got to see the 3 kings in their Pomp - Ali Frazier Foreman. Throw into the mix fighters like Ken Norton and what a time that must have been to be a boxing fan. My late father used to rave about those fights.

I remember a good few year ago there was an episode on Wogan presented by Joanna Lumley. The guests were the Ali Frazier Foreman and Harry Carpenter was also there . Even though Ali’s Parkinson’s was evident for all to see and Frazier was slurring his words - the aura given off by those 3 was truly magnificent in my opinion. What an era !!!"

There’s a documentary called ‘facing Ali’ it interviews Frazier, Foreman, Chuvalo, Ernie Terell and Henry Cooper. Very good.

over a year ago

I’m a southpaw myself, always loved them as a result.

Pernell Whittaker doesn’t get enough respect.

Away from that, Duran was amazing. The whole mystique, the character, the machismo. A lightweight who won titles through multiple weights via knock out. Manos Di Piedra, hands of stone.

Recent times I’ve enjoyed Donaire, Juan Manuel Marquez and Miguel Cotto.

I was a Mayweather fan and was in Vegas for the Pacquaio fight.

I was born a little too late to really travel for Hatton (I was at the Senchenko fight) and Calzaghe, but I did attend every Froch fight post super six. Bute, Mack, Kessler, Groves 1 and 2.

I could go all day here.

over a year ago

Mike Tyson. A whirlwind of hate and fury. He had a ferociousness that went beyond sport and beat many opponents before they even entered the ring. His fights were all action and thus a crowd pleaser.

over a year ago

British fighters always torn between Calzaghe and Hamed, Lennox Lewis is possibly the best technically I’ve ever seen live.. Mayweather is the best I think of the past generation technically, not many like him but for me absolutely faultless with how he boxed, defensively no one better.

over a year ago

"….

I could go all day here."

You’re on the right site then

over a year ago

"….

I could go all day here.

You’re on the right site then "

Boxing thread and double edged sword sexual puns? Best Monday ever.

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"

I’m not saying Canelo isn’t a great fight now… but if he was to fight Mayweather now at 154 and he was the same age… he would still lose! "

Canelo learned so much from that loss and from fights against triple G etc, he's matured, got bigger, stronger but his skill set just grows with every fight.

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

"I’m a southpaw myself, always loved them as a result.

Away from that, Duran was amazing. The whole mystique, the character, the machismo. A lightweight who won titles through multiple weights via knock out. Manos Di Piedra, hands of stone.

I was born a little too late to really travel for Hatton (I was at the Senchenko fight) and Calzaghe, but I did attend every Froch fight post super six. Bute, Mack, Kessler, Groves 1 and 2.

I could go all day here."

Cotto is a great shout. In the early 2000s I loved watching Acelino Freitas as well.

Something about big punchers, and body punchers that gets me excited

over a year ago

"

I’m not saying Canelo isn’t a great fight now… but if he was to fight Mayweather now at 154 and he was the same age… he would still lose!

Canelo learned so much from that loss and from fights against triple G etc, he's matured, got bigger, stronger but his skill set just grows with every fight.

"

Agreed. His defence improved big time after the Mayweather fight. He’d struggled with Trout and Lara previously as well.

He’s the premier fighter in the sport at the moment, followed by Crawford.

over a year ago

"I’m a southpaw myself, always loved them as a result.

I could go all day here.

Cotto is a great shout. In the early 2000s I loved watching Acelino Freitas as well.

Something about big punchers, and body punchers that gets me excited "

A great shout with the Brazilian there.

Cotto was vulnerable too and that only added to the excitement. His fight with Ricardo Torres was great at 140. He was a little more solid when he moved to 147 and fought like an elite fighter in the Margarito fight until he literally had his prime beaten out of him by brick fists.

(Mosley Margarito is one of my favourite fights of all time because it’s justice for that. Similar to Maidana vs Broner…)

Post new Message to Thread