Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Can you eat bread on a diet?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I was listening to coach gregs latest video about it and I agree with him, he also couldnt understand why people where cutting it out, even arnold did it too, at the end of the day it comes down to calories in v out, what is your view on it and do you cut it out or eat it when you are dieting? I eat but in less quantity of it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don’t cut anything out of my diet and I’ve still lost huge amounts of body fat.

I just eat what i want, making sure it fits into my calorie/macro targets, and stay honest with the MyFitnessPal tracking. I’ve never demonised any types of foods. I’d never have stuck with my nutrition if I’d have cut anything I love out of it.

over a year ago

If dieting is for a brief period to shed a bit of bulk, I honestly don't know why you'd bother. You're only gonna go back to eating it.

Just eat it, but maybe not so often.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Diets are a waste of time. Everybody is different. I’d eat bread but make sure it’s whole meal. It’s great for slow release of blood sugar.

The only diet I’d truly recommend is a southern Italian style one.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Calories in Calories out is right Shag but it's NOT EVERYTHING.

If people want to lose weight they shouldn't be seeking to eat low calorie.

They should be eating with a view to maximising NUTRITION in the number of calories they as an individual can take in balanced against the energy expended each day and actually aiming for a deficit if they want weight loss.

Anyone eating lots of bread to fill up will find it's not good for digestion and doesn't offer much nutrition though it does offer energy.

Then there is BREAD and BREAD. Always choose an unrefined bread that is full of roughage.....

The good old fashioned method of thinking of food groups would keep most people healthy

Maximise veg and fruit including all colours. ( don't count spuds as veg )

Have some protein each day.

Have some carbs each day.

Keep an eye on the amount and type of fats and oils consumed.

Keep sugar lowish....

Move a lot.

If I wanted to lose weight now i'd cut down on bread , rice and fat and up my veg and protein consumption.

I cut out nothing.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I was listening to coach gregs latest video about it and I agree with him, he also couldnt understand why people where cutting it out, even arnold did it too, at the end of the day it comes down to calories in v out, what is your view on it and do you cut it out or eat it when you are dieting? I eat but in less quantity of it "

I’m not really on it at the moment but when I am I tend to carb cycle. Definitely cut it out on non lifting days if I’m trying to slim down a bit but I’d never starve myself of carbs before or after lifting

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Yes

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It’s not just about calories in carbs out though, beige is generally poor food choice, complex carbs are different , vegetables, whole grains etc

over a year ago

I agree, shag. Calories in V calories out, but you need to make sure the calories are useful for your goal. You can have your entire calorie count for the day in bread if you want to, but you won't put on much muscle.

I go for a protein heavy diet, with very little carbs or fat during the week. I then have a refeed day on Saturday and sometimes Sunday where I let myself have a bit of what I fancy.

It really works well for me. The key was cutting out snacks and fizzy drinks. I don't think I'll ever be as lean as you, but I lost a lot of fat when I started eating this way.

over a year ago

You can but some people cut things out to avoid bloating or holding water. Depending on the reason for the diet

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

You can technically eat anything when dieting if you ate it in the right quantity. You could diet on pure lard. However, it is often easier if you eat foods that aren't as calorie dense. Personally I don't eat much bread at any time as its not worth buying a loaf. I have buns for my vegetarian burgers maybe once every week or two. I did buy a sourdough loaf a few weeks ago though to have with soup in work.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I was listening to coach gregs latest video about it and I agree with him, he also couldnt understand why people where cutting it out, even arnold did it too, at the end of the day it comes down to calories in v out, what is your view on it and do you cut it out or eat it when you are dieting? I eat but in less quantity of it "

I love bread, and the best tip I got was from a nutritionist, to get my hands on some good quality sourdough bread and toast it. Eating one slice (with something like avocado on it) takes longer than something like white bread, and is more filling so you eat less. Worked pretty well.

Agreed that it’s mainly a question of calories in / out poi’s calories burned. But the less “dead” calories the better ... stuff like white bread.

over a year ago

You can eat anything as long as within your macros/ calories.

If you're calories intake is 2000 per day as long as your stay with it you will be OK. If looking to trim up you need to eat slightly less than this but ensuring you get enough per day.

For example if a slice of bread is 100 calories. You could have 20 slices a day but nothing more. But you need to be mindful of added salt, sugars etc

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Maybe replace bread with ryvita.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I've been a big lass all my life, and tried so many different diets over the years from the g plan to the cabbage soup one and my weight has yo-yo'd for decades to the point where the size of clothes in my wardrobe went from a 18 to a 32

I'm on the lower end of that currently and achieve it by listening to what my body tells me it needs... we have a pretty well balanced diet these days and bread plays a part of it but not the basis of it, if that makes sense. Now and again. Not all the time.

It's activity levels that seem to make the change, we got a boat to refurbish, and since we did it's been easier to keep the weight down.

over a year ago

Yes, with butter !

As well as calories in/out, theres a question of absorbtion (which is gut biome etc)

But I also add insulin spikes. If you get hungry soon after eating bread you probably will look fo more food so harder to keep calories down. Butter may help moderate the spike, and so you don't go rushing for a fix. And Sona lot easier to stay in your calorie window.

over a year ago

Sourdough bread is low in fat so I'd recommend that for weight loss. Never deprive yourself though, there's nothing wrong with a treat now and again x

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Here is coach gregs video that I was referring too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1pW70Ygww&t=7s

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Calories in vs calories out is all that matters, 100%

But how we reach that differs.

If your someone that eats a lot of bread, cutting it out might automatically result in calories in calories out. It’s an indirect way to reach a calorie deficit

Cutting out anything from your diet might, or might not, result in weight loss. It might even lead to weight gain. It’s just a step, not the method

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

over a year ago

"Calories in vs calories out is all that matters, 100%

But how we reach that differs.

If your someone that eats a lot of bread, cutting it out might automatically result in calories in calories out. It’s an indirect way to reach a calorie deficit

Cutting out anything from your diet might, or might not, result in weight loss. It might even lead to weight gain. It’s just a step, not the method "

over a year ago

I eat loads of bread. Mostly sourdough & wholemeal. rarely white apart from baguettes.

I'm not on a diet though. I guess if I was then bread would be an easy thing to cut out. Not because bread itself is bad but it's an easy thing to replace for things with less calories.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Wholemeal bread on the F plan diet.

over a year ago

Really can’t understand why bread gets such a bad rap. I eat it every day. Granted it’s whole meal. I just maintain a healthy lifestyle along with that . Sensible diet and at almost 51 years of age I would like to think I have managed to maintain my health and figure. We’re all quite different when it comes to this. No one size fits all. Just experiment and see what works for you. Good luck

over a year ago

Eat everything but less of.

over a year ago

It depends on the type of bread, whole grain with seeds are good and once you're active you can have it. I probably wouldn't have it everyday but it depends on how active you are

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't diet. I cut my carb intake by 75% on medical advice but the only thing I don't eat is stuff I don't like.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

You change your bread to brown as white bread has more salt,starch tastes better

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I don’t cut anything out of my diet and I’ve still lost huge amounts of body fat.

I just eat what i want, making sure it fits into my calorie/macro targets, and stay honest with the MyFitnessPal tracking. I’ve never demonised any types of foods. I’d never have stuck with my nutrition if I’d have cut anything I love out of it. "

That is also a good way of doing it

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

It mainly gets a bad reo because it provides terrible value in terms nutrition.

One slice of a white sliced pan are roughly 88 calories. The big issue is that I'd easily get through 3-5 slices of toast and not feel that full. It's a sort of food you really need to very careful in terms of how much you consume and how you consume it. A single slice of toast with butter is very hard to justify from a healthy eating and weight lose point of view. For anyone who "snacks" on bread throughout the day if they dropped bread from their diet it would have a massive positive impact on them.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Being slim doesn’t necessarily mean you are perfectly healthy. Nutrition is everything.

A healthy mind is everything. Heavily salted and processed foods are likely to be bad on a regular basis for a typical westerner.

Bread is a fairly staple food for many worldwide. Bake your own? It’s fun.

over a year ago

I buy one sourdough loaf a week, often whole meal. I slice it up while fresh and then freeze it - that way if I want a slice of toast or a slice with soup I can without over eating or throwing it away.

over a year ago

What’s a diet

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"It’s not just about calories in carbs out though, beige is generally poor food choice, complex carbs are different , vegetables, whole grains etc"

Said it loads but as a fattie no one listens lol eat less move more should be eat right move more.

I have diabetes (hopefully reversing) and insulin resistance therefore eating a lot of carbs, even within my calories will not be good for me as my body cannot absorb the glucose and it gets stored as fat. The insulin key does not work on my cells as well. If eat something high carb I don't feel satiated, I will be hungry again very quickly as I have a lot of insulin running around wanting a job to do.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Diet for health and don't expect quick fixes.

Your body will adjust its basal metabolic rate as you lose weight, meaning that you could find your body working against you.

Whether you eat some bread is a minor point, in the grand scheme of things. Ensure that you have fully nutritious foods and aim to get good support. Your health is with you for life. Weight loss from diets may not be.

over a year ago

Couple years ago I did Slimming World, I was allowed 2 slices of brown a day, I’m not keen on brown (but I do like granary, but that’s not allowed) so I’d often have 50/50. The reason is not because it’s carbs, but because commercially made bread has a ton of oil in it. Which isn’t good for those on a diet.

Since I was ill 3 months ago, I’ve stopped eating bread completely, no idea if I’ve lost weight, but I do notice a difference when I do eat it on a one off, to not eating it at all.

over a year ago

If you eat foods that fill you up, but don’t stay in the system long, like vegetables - most of them, you will lose weight. You can buy portion places, which are half veg, a quarter meat, and a quarter carbs…

Have you ever seen a fat vegan?

over a year ago

"If you eat foods that fill you up, but don’t stay in the system long, like vegetables - most of them, you will lose weight. You can buy portion places, which are half veg, a quarter meat, and a quarter carbs…

Have you ever seen a fat vegan? "

There are plenty of fat vegans.

As a vegan I haven't noticed that vegetables move through my system any different to other foods.

over a year ago

evesham

"If you eat foods that fill you up, but don’t stay in the system long, like vegetables - most of them, you will lose weight. You can buy portion places, which are half veg, a quarter meat, and a quarter carbs…

As a vegan I haven't noticed that vegetables move through my system any different to other foods."

See I do..... Some vegetables I eat go through me like a dose of salts

over a year ago

evesham

As a vegan I haven't noticed that vegetables move through my system any different to other foods.

See I do..... Some vegetables I eat go through me like a dose of salts "

Although I'm not vegan

over a year ago

See I do..... Some vegetables I eat go through me like a dose of salts "

It's normal for people to have a period of adapting when they first become vegan. I think it's to do with the increase in fibre.

That doesn't last though.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I agree, shag. Calories in V calories out, but you need to make sure the calories are useful for your goal. You can have your entire calorie count for the day in bread if you want to, but you won't put on much muscle.

I go for a protein heavy diet, with very little carbs or fat during the week. I then have a refeed day on Saturday and sometimes Sunday where I let myself have a bit of what I fancy.

It really works well for me. The key was cutting out snacks and fizzy drinks. I don't think I'll ever be as lean as you, but I lost a lot of fat when I started eating this way.

"

That is good with the reefed day there and yes, it also depends on the goal as well that one have

over a year ago

Eat what you want! Everyone already had a diet, it’s just how & what you choose to eat. Losing weight is all about energy balance, what you expend vs what you consume. So long as you expand more than you consume, you’ll lose weight.

I will never stop myself from eating foods that I want to eat, it’s all about controlling the levels of the foods you want to it.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"I was listening to coach gregs latest video about it and I agree with him, he also couldnt understand why people where cutting it out, even arnold did it too, at the end of the day it comes down to calories in v out, what is your view on it and do you cut it out or eat it when you are dieting? I eat but in less quantity of it

Couple years ago I did Slimming World, I was allowed 2 slices of brown a day, I’m not keen on brown (but I do like granary, but that’s not allowed) so I’d often have 50/50. The reason is not because it’s carbs, but because commercially made bread has a ton of oil in it. Which isn’t good for those on a diet.

Since I was ill 3 months ago, I’ve stopped eating bread completely, no idea if I’ve lost weight, but I do notice a difference when I do eat it on a one off, to not eating it at all. "

What strange reasoning. Most bread has under 1g of fat per slice, sometimes way less. Dunno where their idea it has a tonne of oil in it?

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

I lost 5 stone in 4 months cutting out bread and booze.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Post new Message to Thread