Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Present buying anxiety!

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Anyone else live Christmas and giving presents etc but hate actually choosing presents for people because you want to make sure you but the absolute right thing for people otherwise they might think you're an idiot and a shit friend?

How would you feel if someone said that instead of buying you a present they would make a donation to a charity if your choice? I'm seriously considering this next year!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Anyone else live Christmas and giving presents etc but hate actually choosing presents for people because you want to make sure you but the absolute right thing for people otherwise they might think you're an idiot and a shit friend?

How would you feel if someone said that instead of buying you a present they would make a donation to a charity if your choice? I'm seriously considering this next year! "

F**k 'em off, they get what they're given

over a year ago

I gave up buying presents for people many years ago, I don't have any young child relatives to buy for and am certainly not buying for adults, I also told people that I don't want any presents [or for my birthday] All these 'celebrations' are just an excuse to drain your finances and make money for other people

over a year ago

"Anyone else live Christmas and giving presents etc but hate actually choosing presents for people because you want to make sure you but the absolute right thing for people otherwise they might think you're an idiot and a shit friend?

How would you feel if someone said that instead of buying you a present they would make a donation to a charity if your choice? I'm seriously considering this next year!

F**k 'em off, they get what they're given"

Charity donation sounds good to me. Most presents I get given go to the charity shop anyway.

I wish they wouldn't buy anything or just get something for themselves.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

If it's for friends you could do what me and my mates do. We don't buy presents for each other anymore. We essentially put towards a get together with each other or a meal out.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I do a charity donation instead of a present for my stepmum. It's a charity that's close to her heart, and it saves me having to see her at Christmas, so it's a win all round.

over a year ago

Get all he adult members of your kith and kin for whom you normally buy or exchange presents with agree a set amount (in our case it was £25) and donate the proceeds to a charity of your choice.

My lot donated £600 to Shelter which is the main charity we support. The kids will get their gifts as per usual.

Takes the hassle out of the whole situation and someone benefits!

By *organ DeanWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

I'd be thrilled if a donation was made for me, it would save me having to bring any gifts to the charity shop.

Its not that I'm not grateful to donate twice a year (bday & Christmas) but she buys me girly crap & I'm not at all girly

over a year ago

If I can't think of things to buy for someone they get cash. I'd rather have cash because I can't magically think up things I want just because it's Xmas. I may save money for 3 years and go on holiday, or buy a special handbag when a nice one gets released at some point in the year, I don't want presents just for the sake of it and I won't give them for the same reason. I won't give in to the pressure of it all.

over a year ago

Me and my friends don't buy for eachother anymore, we just buy for the kids. We'd rather save the money and use it toward spending time together.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We have a tiny Christmas gift list. I ask people for ideas although I have struggled with my dad this year.

The choice of whether you donate to charity or not in my opinion is a very personal thing and I'm not sure how I feel about it as a Christmas gift, I think I'd rather someone said I'm not buying gifts I'm donating to eg"Save The Aging Forum Mods" charity instead .

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm probably unusual in this but I love exchanging gifts, that is receiving as well as giving. I'm more than happy to open a £1 bar of chocolate or a hand made item, it's just the pleasure of unwrapping a gift that appeals to me.

over a year ago

evesham

"I'm probably unusual in this but I love exchanging gifts, that is receiving as well as giving. I'm more than happy to open a £1 bar of chocolate or a hand made item, it's just the pleasure of unwrapping a gift that appeals to me."

Oh I love exchanging gifts and seeing people be happy. I just hate buying them.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I love buying presents. If I can't find an appropriate physical gift, I often find alternatives.

One gift this year will not be in aid of aging mods lady

over a year ago

evesham

[Removed by poster at 12/12/21 19:41:20]

over a year ago

evesham

"We have a tiny Christmas gift list. I ask people for ideas although I have struggled with my dad this year.

The choice of whether you donate to charity or not in my opinion is a very personal thing and I'm not sure how I feel about it as a Christmas gift, I think I'd rather someone said I'm not buying gifts I'm donating to eg"Save The Aging Forum Mods" charity instead . "

Such a great charity

over a year ago

Iam a shit friend and a sister as I dont get anything. We do have an agreement we wont get gifts though, except for the toddler type neices and nephews. So much more peaceful all round.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We have a tiny Christmas gift list. I ask people for ideas although I have struggled with my dad this year.

The choice of whether you donate to charity or not in my opinion is a very personal thing and I'm not sure how I feel about it as a Christmas gift, I think I'd rather someone said I'm not buying gifts I'm donating to eg"Save The Aging Forum Mods" charity instead .

Such a great charity "

I know right.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'm probably unusual in this but I love exchanging gifts, that is receiving as well as giving. I'm more than happy to open a £1 bar of chocolate or a hand made item, it's just the pleasure of unwrapping a gift that appeals to me.

Oh I love exchanging gifts and seeing people be happy. I just hate buying them. "

I've gone down the M and S biscuits route this year for some people. Interesting tins and edible contents.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

When it doubt - lego.

There is so much fun to be had with the licensed sets, it lets adults relive their child hood.

over a year ago

They can have a satsuma or a bag of chocolate coins.

F’k em!

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

I love buying gifts for people and making them smile. I hate receiving gifts.

By *evil-AngelWoman
over a year ago

I donate to charity every year for my extended family e.g aunts, uncles, older cousins.

I used to buy them wine but they are big drinkers of it and I'm not so I was always worried I was getting them vinegar. Much easier this way, and they are always very appreciative of the thought that goes into selecting the charity.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Charity donation sounds good to me. Most presents I get given go to the charity shop anyway.

I wish they wouldn't buy anything or just get something for themselves. "

over a year ago

I wish they wouldn't buy anything or just get something for themselves.

"

Very much a first world problem?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I like to make an effort and ask everyone about their wish list and choose from that.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We've bought something for someone that they asked for. When we visited them yesterday they proudly showed us the same thing that someone else had got them. So after Christmas they will have two

Post new Message to Thread