Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Thinking of taking up running

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So, I can’t run the length of myself I refuse even to run for a bus. But I’ve lost weight recently, and sometimes I get this wee springy feeling in my feet and I just want to GO.

I think it would be good for fitness, weight, mental well-being. But I don’t know how to start and I’m not even sure what to wear. A decent sports bra will be essential, that’s for sure

Obviously I’ll need to build up gradually, as I literally haven’t run anywhere since childhood. But my New Year’s resolution is to do this!

I’ve always had a slightly obsessive personality. But Jaysus, for once in my life I might as well get hooked on something healthy and productive

Any tips for this total novice? Despite the weight loss, my body resembles a melted candle in places and I really wanna tone up, so will running help with this? Or do I also need a more targeted form of exercise? Don’t overwhelm me, please! Otherwise I might just go back to Wotsits and Made in Chelsea on the sofa

Thanks x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Coach to 5k NHS APP . Worked a treat here plus lots of googling and pestering running friends for advice. Also.. join teamonkeys thread Forum crap runners.

over a year ago

Great, thanks!

over a year ago

Good for you.

Start small but dream big.

I talk complete tosh in most instances but I’ve 100% been for my first run since lockdown summer tonight and I feel fucking Olympic

I only managed 2.5 miles and was breathing like an old steam train in full motion when I got home but man it really did feel ace.

It’s really washed some demons outta my head.

Now I’m rambling but you get the gist.

Just do it.

over a year ago

I’ll assume it’s ‘couch’, although it could be tempting to hop on a coach when I’m a crumpled, sweating heap

over a year ago

Thanks Sam! You’ve described how I want to feel.

over a year ago

"I’ll assume it’s ‘couch’, although it could be tempting to hop on a coach when I’m a crumpled, sweating heap "

Hahaha you assumed well. Silly fingers.

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

Couch to 5k

over a year ago

"Thanks Sam! You’ve described how I want to feel."

After a really good run you'll get a sense of incredible achievement. The rush of endorphins cam be close to orgasming feeling at times. Do it do it.

over a year ago

Getting excited now! I want to be one of those folks who says ‘God, I didn’t get to go out for a run last night and I’m feeling like a caged animal’.

I want to be good!!

over a year ago

"Thanks Sam! You’ve described how I want to feel.

After a really good sam you'll get a sense of incredible achievement. The rush of endorphins cam be close to orgasming feeling at times. Do it do it."

Satisfaction guaranteed.

over a year ago

Running won’t really tone much except the legs, but it will certainly do no harm and help burn cals and general fitneess.

As suggested start slow and build up gradually.

Invest in a good sports bra

Am also getting back into running.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Enjoy but stay off hard surfaces if you don't want your knees and/or hips ruined

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

I'll stick with thinking about it

over a year ago

"Running won’t really tone much except the legs, but it will certainly do no harm and help burn cals and general fitneess.

Am also getting back into running. "

I hate to be that guy but running is actually the best way to burn tummy fat.

Of course you need to combine it with crunches/ core exercises to tone as well but just burning fat, running is your friend.

over a year ago

My legs have always been my least favourite feature, so hopefully nothing to lose. Music will be a must, so I will get some earphones that stay in.

over a year ago

"Running won’t really tone much except the legs, but it will certainly do no harm and help burn cals and general fitneess.

Of course you need to combine it with crunches/ core exercises to tone as well but just burning fat, running is your friend."

over a year ago

As others have said, couch to 5k.it can't be faulted.

By *uzie69xTV/TS
over a year ago

Maidstone

"Enjoy but stay off hard surfaces if you don't want your knees and/or hips ruined "

True! So more reason to get a decent pair of running shoes. I got a pair of Fila "Running" and it's like my feet on air!

I read a light pounding on the bones strengthens them against Osteoporosis...?

I run four miles every weekday. Started a mile and back, reduced the time a bit, then gradually doubled the distance.

Also I think it's important to choose a nice route. I run along the Medway River which is amazing watching the seasons and later/earlier dawns. I was a student in Edinburgh so know it's a beautiful city you'll enjoy.

Throughout lockdown, running was a real help physically and for mental health. I look forward to my runs.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on ...

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

As everyone has said, the C25K program is brilliant for starting out.

Good luck with it

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

You ckukd try swimming or cycling

over a year ago

I took up running almost 4 years ago. I used to say that I was not built for running but in truth anyone can run.

I started walking a 5k local route, increasing my pace to a brisk walk to get my heart rate up. Then one day I jogged about 200m and then walked the rest of the loop.

Gradually I increased the running efforts and reduced the walking sections until I was able to run the entire route without stopping.

I love to run and have completed half marathons and in October I ran my first marathon.

My entire body has benefitted from running although my squishy tummy is still squishy yet my muscles are strong, although a tummy tuck op in March 2022 will sort that out.

I recommend a good firm sports bra and don't worry about 'fancy' trainers just yet. Just wear comfortable clothing and trainers you have.

Keep us posted on your progression, Tea Monkey runs a Forum Crap Runners thread which we all post on and support each other and are all trying to achieve personal goals.

Good luck and I hope you fall in love with running like I have

NBVN x

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

It’s been said already on this thread but C25K apps are a good place to start. Just done over do it, make sure you get good rest between sessions. Road running doesn’t bugger your knees or hips unless you run in clogs

over a year ago

Of course you need to combine it with crunches/ core exercises to tone as well but just burning fat, running is your friend."

No need to apologise. Your point reinforced mine. Burning fat not same as toning.

The question was not about combined exercise, the question was about running.

Yes it’ll burn fat. But alone It won’t tone much though except the legs. Mr used to run 300kms a month and still had a smallish pot belly and never a 6p pack.

over a year ago

"My legs have always been my least favourite feature, so hopefully nothing to lose. Music will be a must, so I will get some earphones that stay in."

Sports ones with a headband or behind ear are your best bet for running. Unless you want to wear a headband to hold in the ‘in ear’ ones which tend to pop out easily during a run.

Over ear ones are too heavy and get sweaty on a run!

Can’t beat a good playlist to help with the motivation. Also if you do get into the couch to 5k program then once you’re up to the distance then consider going to a ‘park run’ group. It os a good way to make some similar level running buddies that can further help motivate.

I found the social aspect of running as helpful as the fitness. Esp. when doing longer distances.

All the very best and good luck with your goals.

(Mr)

over a year ago

When I was in Edinburgh (5 years ago?) there was this old guy who ran free running sessions in Meadows park. Starting on the eastern end at 7 or so on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Has a great mix of people, some very good, some beginners, and if it’s still happening it would be great to go, watch, maybe ask a question.

Get cheap stuff from Decathlon, some )30 trainers, long tights, a tee and a rain jacket (gloves and hat if you’re mesh, and tit sling), and just walk/jog any distance you’re happy with to start. Use the couch to 5k apps, there are loads. Or just run 3 walk 4, and slowly change up.

Good luck, many people find it’s amazing for there headspace irrespective of if they are ever more than piss poor. Do a park run too!

over a year ago

"Enjoy but stay off hard surfaces if you don't want your knees and/or hips ruined

True! So more reason to get a decent pair of running shoes. I got a pair of Fila "Running" and it's like my feet on air!

I read a light pounding on the bones strengthens them against Osteoporosis...?

I run four miles every weekday. Started a mile and back, reduced the time a bit, then gradually doubled the distance.

Also I think it's important to choose a nice route. I run along the Medway River which is amazing watching the seasons and later/earlier dawns. I was a student in Edinburgh so know it's a beautiful city you'll enjoy.

Throughout lockdown, running was a real help physically and for mental health. I look forward to my runs.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on ..."

Yes exercise will help with bone density, but not with the joints which can take a toll unless managed properly. That means not tamping up distance and pace too quickly to the body time to adapt.

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

I would recommend that if you can to NOT run with music, it’s safer and less of a faff. Obviously I’m in a minority on this and it’s entirely your choice

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I took up running almost 4 years ago. I used to say that I was not built for running but in truth anyone can run.

I started walking a 5k local route, increasing my pace to a brisk walk to get my heart rate up. Then one day I jogged about 200m and then walked the rest of the loop.

Gradually I increased the running efforts and reduced the walking sections until I was able to run the entire route without stopping.

I love to run and have completed half marathons and in October I ran my first marathon.

My entire body has benefitted from running although my squishy tummy is still squishy yet my muscles are strong, although a tummy tuck op in March 2022 will sort that out.

I recommend a good firm sports bra and don't worry about 'fancy' trainers just yet. Just wear comfortable clothing and trainers you have.

Keep us posted on your progression, Tea Monkey runs a Forum Crap Runners thread which we all post on and support each other and are all trying to achieve personal goals.

NBVN x"

Not everyone can run

But yes, I've seen people in the local running group really flourish doing C25K, while I whizzed along with them *wheelchair emoji*

over a year ago

"I took up running almost 4 years ago. I used to say that I was not built for running but in truth anyone can run.

NBVN x

Not everyone can run

But yes, I've seen people in the local running group really flourish doing C25K, while I whizzed along with them *wheelchair emoji*"

Not everyone can do the amazing things you do in your wheelchair, you are a fantastic sportswoman but you still won't get me on a horse

NBVN x

over a year ago

The Zombies Run app is a fun way to get yourself to 5k.

We were talking about this earlier and how a 15 minute run seemed like a big deal when we first started. Nowadays we go out for hours.

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

Usually Dundee and around

Dieu,

If you can get a friend to do it with you, it v can help. Virtually or in person, don't have to do all sessions together, but you can kick each others arses on the days you don't want to go out!

And keep us updated on your progress!

Go you!

over a year ago

North West

NBVN x

Not everyone can run

But yes, I've seen people in the local running group really flourish doing C25K, while I whizzed along with them *wheelchair emoji*

Not everyone can do the amazing things you do in your wheelchair, you are a fantastic sportswoman but you still won't get me on a horse

NBVN x"

*Wonders if you can scoop someone up whilst cantering along*

By *enm83Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Good luck! Take it steady, don't be afraid to mix fast walking and steady jogging at the start and stretch before setting off.

Also your local parkrun is a great way to meet new people and the second best reason to get up early on a Saturday!

over a year ago

NBVN x

Not everyone can run

NBVN x

*Wonders if you can scoop someone up whilst cantering along* "

I volunteer Mr NBVN

NBVN x

By *r SproutMan
over a year ago

the middle somewhere

"So, I can’t run the length of myself I refuse even to run for a bus. But I’ve lost weight recently, and sometimes I get this wee springy feeling in my feet and I just want to GO.

I think it would be good for fitness, weight, mental well-being. But I don’t know how to start and I’m not even sure what to wear. A decent sports bra will be essential, that’s for sure

Obviously I’ll need to build up gradually, as I literally haven’t run anywhere since childhood. But my New Year’s resolution is to do this!

I’ve always had a slightly obsessive personality. But Jaysus, for once in my life I might as well get hooked on something healthy and productive

Any tips for this total novice? Despite the weight loss, my body resembles a melted candle in places and I really wanna tone up, so will running help with this? Or do I also need a more targeted form of exercise? Don’t overwhelm me, please! Otherwise I might just go back to Wotsits and Made in Chelsea on the sofa

Thanks x"

Well done on the weight loss! Good luck on your journey

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"The Zombies Run app is a fun way to get yourself to 5k.

We were talking about this earlier and how a 15 minute run seemed like a big deal when we first started. Nowadays we go out for hours."

I was doing that when I ran a little a few years back. It really was a little. I hated every second and the best bit was getting home

Didn't realise it was still taking money off me for a year after I uninstalled it!

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

2 more votes for couch to 5k here! Mrs successfully did it to completion and then went to 10k and lost a good bit of weight.

I haven't complete it (yet) but have enjoyed it so far.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Dieu,

If you can get a friend to do it with you, it v can help. Virtually or in person, don't have to do all sessions together, but you can kick each others arses on the days you don't want to go out!

Go you! "

Right, I've just installed the app.

I'll do it with you if you want.

over a year ago

Like many have said the couch to 5km isn’t a bad place to start .

But one of my favourite pieces of motivation to keep yourself moving even when it hurts like a MoFo is ‘Remember. The body is strong it’s the mind that’s weak’. We’re often capable of more than we think !

Good luck !

over a year ago

"Dieu,

Go you!

Right, I've just installed the app.

I'll do it with you if you want. "

I’ve just installed it too! x

over a year ago

And would love a virtual running buddy ... come January

over a year ago

Thanks so much everyone. The friendliness and kindness on this forum just blows my mind at times

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Not a fan of running but I do enjoy competitive sport, so deciding cycling was no longer for me I tried water polo, that got me incredibly fit

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"And would love a virtual running buddy ... come January "

Well... no fucking choice now eh. I can't back out if I've got pride on the line

over a year ago

"And would love a virtual running buddy ... come January "

Why waiting until January?

over a year ago

"And would love a virtual running buddy ... come January

Why waiting until January? "

over a year ago

Well... no fucking choice now eh. I can't back out if I've got pride on the line "

No, and I will fucking hunt you down.

By car

By *adHatter_RestrainedAliceCouple
over a year ago

In The Hills

Was contemplating Park Run a few years back but alas having had two high tibia osteotomys and have pins in both, running is out of the question.

I do enjoy a nice brisk walk though

Alice x

By *heonix_flamesWoman
over a year ago

Midlands

Core exercises don’t “tone” or help you lose tummy fat. They just help you strengthen your core

Running will be good for cardio, fitness and health. If you want to “tone up” then lift weights. Best thing to change your body and help maintain muscle mass when losing body fat. Losing weight and losing fat are two different things unfortunately. Also helps with bone density and is a lot of fun!

Good luck!

over a year ago

With any new habits start small, and be consistent! Take a step back and look at your schedule, when do you feel the most energised to go for a run.. any wet weather plans?

Sometimes despite our best effort, we might miss a day, don't be too hard on yourself, is there something else you could be doing?

Set smart goals those really help!

All the best, we'll be cheering you on! Post regular updates on the forum if you'd like, we can all hold each other accountable!

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Well... no fucking choice now eh. I can't back out if I've got pride on the line

No, and I will fucking hunt you down.

By car "

That then is a deal!

over a year ago

We can all run...its a primeval instinct, flight or fight and all that. I always told myself I couldn't run, started 5 years ago as part of a 'change my life' regime. Admittedly not in a organised routine way, but I now appreciate how good it feels. Find yourself a goal, a good cause to raise money for to act as the motivational drive. Maybe "race for life' or something similar. Each milestone you pass in training imagine the pounds ( cash ) for the cause, and the pounds (weight) you lose.....

over a year ago

North West

"We can all run...its a primeval instinct, flight or fight and all that. I always told myself I couldn't run, started 5 years ago as part of a 'change my life' regime. Admittedly not in a organised routine way, but I now appreciate how good it feels. Find yourself a goal, a good cause to raise money for to act as the motivational drive. Maybe "race for life' or something similar. Each milestone you pass in training imagine the pounds ( cash ) for the cause, and the pounds (weight) you lose....."

No. There are some among us who cannot run

over a year ago

It will take you far..

over a year ago

"Not a fan of running but I do enjoy competitive sport, so deciding cycling was no longer for me I tried water polo, that got me incredibly fit"

I tried water polo....three drowned horses later...

over a year ago

"The Zombies Run app is a fun way to get yourself to 5k.

We were talking about this earlier and how a 15 minute run seemed like a big deal when we first started. Nowadays we go out for hours.

I was doing that when I ran a little a few years back. It really was a little. I hated every second and the best bit was getting home

Didn't realise it was still taking money off me for a year after I uninstalled it!"

I only paid for the 5k bit. Beyond that I found it a bit irritating but it was great to begin with mixing up walking and other exercises along with the zombie storyline.

These days I prefer podcasts. Quite enjoy listening to Two Hotwives while out in the woods

By *helby_335Couple
over a year ago

Aberaeron

We also vote couch to 5k with a park run graduation target!

Very addictive

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

This might sound a bit anal but it works for me. Plan a route on a map. You can measure distances using a tool on Google Maps (not a ruler!) Two Km is a good starting distance. Time yourself (you can use a stopwatch on your phone). Take it slow and gently at first. As you get more comfortable with it you should find your time starts to go down. That's a good confidence booster.

When you think you have made progress, add an extra Km to your route and follow the process again until you have reached a distance which works for you.

Also, choose a run that is relatively free of hills!

One thing to remember, running is more beneficial to gain fitness and get your heart healthy than it is to lose weight. What you want to do is burn is fat, but running will start to burn muscle too, and muscle helps you burn fat and helps you get round your route. Consider doing weights at the gym to increase your muscle mass which will help you burn fat, even when your body is at rest, and it will help replace what you burn on your run. Consider focusing on weights and controlling what you eat for the weight loss, and use running for things like stamina.

By *rincess PhoenixWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

Yoga is great for toning but also mindfulness - I feel so much better afterwards.

For running I strongly recommend Shock Absorber bras they keep my 34Gs in check on the treadmill xxx

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Couch to 5k will help, and you’ll most likely lose some of your melted candle physique from running alone

But if you want to actually “tone up” it probably won’t be as easy as just doing couch to 5k.

In fact, if your goal is to tone up I wouldn’t even both with running. Running is for improving your ability to run, not tone up. There’s more effective ways to reach that goal

over a year ago

"Yoga is great for toning but also mindfulness - I feel so much better afterwards.

For running I strongly recommend Shock Absorber bras they keep my 34Gs in check on the treadmill xxx"

For sure, especially vinyasa classes are like a work out but there needs to be some sort of tone already. I struggle still sometimes as my upper body strength isn’t the best but I’m getting better !!

Ya know, just trying to make sure I don’t turn into a rugby player either

ANYWAY, I totally recommend it to add it into the routine !!

over a year ago

Ps: dieu, lovely… I can’t run for shit and always hated it with a passion, so… I’m really proud that you are doing this x

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I sometimes think about running, but I don’t dwell on it, just thinking about it makes me feel short of breath.

All power to you OP, hope you follow through with it.

over a year ago

"So, I can’t run the length of myself I refuse even to run for a bus. But I’ve lost weight recently, and sometimes I get this wee springy feeling in my feet and I just want to GO.

Thanks x"

Only running I do is if the police are chasing me hahahaha

over a year ago

Yesssss! Do it!

Have a look to see if your local running club is doing a couch to 5k group in January. Lots of them do and they're a great way to get motivated and get tips.

A good bra is a must - you'll need a high impact one. Have a look at M&S.

If you're going to start running in winter, you might want to invest in a high vis top.

Any old trainers will do at first. My first trainers were £20 Asics.

Also, look for runners strength and conditioning on YouTube. That will help you to tone up and be less susceptible to injury.

Good luck

over a year ago

"This might sound a bit anal but it works for me. Plan a route on a map. You can measure distances using a tool on Google Maps (not a ruler!) Two Km is a good starting distance. Time yourself (you can use a stopwatch on your phone). Take it slow and gently at first. As you get more comfortable with it you should find your time starts to go down. That's a good confidence booster.

When you think you have made progress, add an extra Km to your route and follow the process again until you have reached a distance which works for you.

One thing to remember, running is more beneficial to gain fitness and get your heart healthy than it is to lose weight. What you want to do is burn is fat, but running will start to burn muscle too, and muscle helps you burn fat and helps you get round your route. Consider doing weights at the gym to increase your muscle mass which will help you burn fat, even when your body is at rest, and it will help replace what you burn on your run. Consider focusing on weights and controlling what you eat for the weight loss, and use running for things like stamina. "

An extra km is a pretty big jump when you're starting out.

By *indy777Couple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Take a look at Parkrun 5k runs.. There are around 650 in the UK and take place every Saturday at 9am (possibly 9.30 in Scotland).

We did Edinburgh in the Summer - lovely run by the river. They are free, non competitive and socially good fun.

Once you have registered you build up an online profile which tracks your runs.

over a year ago

"This might sound a bit anal but it works for me. Plan a route on a map. You can measure distances using a tool on Google Maps (not a ruler!) Two Km is a good starting distance. Time yourself (you can use a stopwatch on your phone). Take it slow and gently at first. As you get more comfortable with it you should find your time starts to go down. That's a good confidence booster.

One thing to remember, running is more beneficial to gain fitness and get your heart healthy than it is to lose weight. What you want to do is burn is fat, but running will start to burn muscle too, and muscle helps you burn fat and helps you get round your route. Consider doing weights at the gym to increase your muscle mass which will help you burn fat, even when your body is at rest, and it will help replace what you burn on your run. Consider focusing on weights and controlling what you eat for the weight loss, and use running for things like stamina.

An extra km is a pretty big jump when you're starting out.

"

Agreed. Better to increment in time than distance as it allows better adjustment:

E.g run for 3 mins, walk 2 mins, repeat until fecked.

Then a few weeks later increase the running time by 1 min. Keep increasing until you can run non stop for 30 to 35 mins it so - which is roughly when most will hit the 5km mark.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I highly recommend Couch25K too. I managed to find a local group that we’re doing for free (some charge) and they were so supportive. I hated getting ready to go out in the cold, wet or dark but felt amazing after each session.

Good luck

J x

over a year ago

"Agreed. Better to increment in time than distance as it allows better adjustment:

E.g run for 3 mins, walk 2 mins, repeat until fecked.

Then a few weeks later increase the running time by 1 min. Keep increasing until you can run non stop for 30 to 35 mins it so - which is roughly when most will hit the 5km mark.

"

Definitely

The usual guide is to add 10% each week to distance but before you get to that you're best to focus on building up time and that should be a similarly gradual process.

If you do too much too soon you're more likely to get injured and will end up hating the idea of doing it.

over a year ago

For those of you saying that running only tones your legs... If you're not using your arms when you're running, you're doing it wrong!

over a year ago

"For those of you saying that running only tones your legs... If you're not using your arms when you're running, you're doing it wrong! "

I think you'd struggle to tone your arms much even if you're pumping them like mad.

I don't think running is that great for toning the legs really either. It's great for burning calories but if you want toning you're best doing strength training.

By *limeyoMan
over a year ago

Oswestry

Running is brilliant for general weight loss quickly (especially helps if women wear lycra)

Cycling is better for sculpting legs and nice pert bum !

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Thanks Sam! You’ve described how I want to feel.

After a really good run you'll get a sense of incredible achievement. The rush of endorphins cam be close to orgasming feeling at times. Do it do it."

Mind your knees... Mine explode after about 600 metres. good luck with it.

By *limeyoMan
over a year ago

Oswestry

Ps if any women in Shropshire fancy going out for a run or cycle ??

over a year ago

"For those of you saying that running only tones your legs... If you're not using your arms when you're running, you're doing it wrong!

I think you'd struggle to tone your arms much even if you're pumping them like mad.

I don't think running is that great for toning the legs really either. It's great for burning calories but if you want toning you're best doing strength training."

OP lives in Edinburgh. Loads of hills. Impossible to cross the city with out going up or down a hill. Running hills will help to tone legs.

Not as much as weight of course. But enough to need a new fit of jeans of you do enough of it lol

over a year ago

"Ps if any women in Shropshire fancy going out for a run or cycle ??"

Why not men as running or cycling partners?

NBVN x

over a year ago

"Ps if any women in Shropshire fancy going out for a run or cycle ??

NBVN x"

Maybe slow and can’t keep up?

over a year ago

"For those of you saying that running only tones your legs... If you're not using your arms when you're running, you're doing it wrong!

I don't think running is that great for toning the legs really either. It's great for burning calories but if you want toning you're best doing strength training.

OP lives in Edinburgh. Loads of hills. Impossible to cross the city with out going up or down a hill. Running hills will help to tone legs.

Not as much as weight of course. But enough to need a new fit of jeans of you do enough of it lol"

I trail run so my best tip for hills is walk up run down to save energy. But always start running again before you are out the peak

over a year ago

NBVN x

Maybe slow and can’t keep up? "

Hmm maybe, cynical old me

NBVN x

over a year ago

As others have said you can’t go wrong with Couch to 5k, it’s how I started and feel great now! Mental and physical health much better!

Good luck lovely

over a year ago

Not as much as weight of course. But enough to need a new fit of jeans of you do enough of it lol"

I'm past the age of being able to wear jeans that are that tight

over a year ago

Get some proper fitted running shoes. They make the world of difference, go instore and get actual fitted the place i went scan how you run and tailor them to you. I tried so many different 'running'shoes from nike and adidas and ended up with clicky ankles and knees.

In the end running made my bum flat and legs shrink so i knocked it on the head

over a year ago

"Get some proper fitted running shoes. They make the world of difference, go instore and get actual fitted the place i went scan how you run and tailor them to you. I tried so many different 'running'shoes from nike and adidas and ended up with clicky ankles and knees.

In the end running made my bum flat and legs shrink so i knocked it on the head "

Yes proper running shoes make the world of difference

over a year ago

NBVN x

Maybe slow and can’t keep up?

Hmm maybe, cynical old me

NBVN x"

No, I had thought the same! X

over a year ago

North West

Off to Parkrun by wheelchair for the first time!

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

"Get some proper fitted running shoes. They make the world of difference, go instore and get actual fitted the place i went scan how you run and tailor them to you. I tried so many different 'running'shoes from nike and adidas and ended up with clicky ankles and knees.

Yes proper running shoes make the world of difference"

100% agree with this, usually better to go to small independent running shops as their staff are all runners, who will be happy to share their experience.

over a year ago

Start by doing a brisk walk and set yourself little challenges like jog to the next lamp post or tree. Little bits and build up

Most of all enjoy it xx

By *limeyoMan
over a year ago

Oswestry

Because women look so much better in lycra than men lol

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

Go you! I'm sure you will rock it hun xx

By *21RoyMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Seems to be some great advice and encouragement in here. All I'll say is enjoy it and listen in to your mind and body.

I have regular sports massage for niggles and issues. I find when I do the exercises I should to supplement my running I get less niggles, but I'm bad for doing what I should and also go out and push through the wall quite often!

over a year ago

I was thinking the same might take a few years of practice to get away from my partner tho

By *ack69erMan
over a year ago

Beverley

I'm not a runner, but whenever I go to see my Son and Girlfriend, they always drag me out on the local "Park Run". So, its imperative that I do a bit of running prior to a visit to confirm that I can still do three miles and happy that I usually do it in 30 to 35 mins. I'm 66 and overweight and cycling is my forte and mainly do long distance events of 240 miles a day, and running is hard work for me.

Park Runs also motivate you to do more running as it becomes addictive, very friendly and always find someone to talk to off your own fitness level whatever it is.

Looking at the Edinburgh park run, it is well attended with 400+ it appears every weekend. And one thing with a park run, a good few, run it, some run and walk and some just walk it, all getting fitter, some with dogs, and some with pushchairs etc and looking at the timings for the last event, the slowest was 56 minutes, which is well slower than walking.

Share the pain, and run and suffer with others, its the most motivating rather than on your own and suffering in your own little World of pain where you can soon call it a day.

By *orruptionandliesMan
over a year ago

leeds

Don't go cheap on the trainers

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"My legs have always been my least favourite feature, so hopefully nothing to lose. Music will be a must, so I will get some earphones that stay in."

Look at aftershoks or similar, especially if you're going to be running alone, the don't sit in your ears they are bone conducting.

OK so they don't sound as good, but you can still hear what's going on around you, traffic, people etc.

I didn't get on with the NHS app, hubby loved it but I didn't like the waffle, I use either C25K app or RunDouble (but I paid for that as it has a couch to 10k plan too)

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"the slowest was 56 minutes, which is well slower than walking."

I'm not sure how you can get slower than walking...

That may well have been someone walking as fast as they can, or even someone's PB...

the best thing about park run is that it's none judgemental and there is always a tail walker, when I first started I was 60+ minutes, but I did it and was supported all the way by my tail walker

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

Yes proper running shoes make the world of difference

100% agree with this, usually better to go to small independent running shops as their staff are all runners, who will be happy to share their experience. "

This... being overweight with very flat feet I was in agony... when I had gait analysis done and I bought proper road shoes for the first time it made a massive difference...

Ohhhh and don't be afraid to repeat weeks in the c25k plan, I often repeat weeks 1-3 at least once...

(With having ME/CFS I go long periods not being able to run which makes me very sad)

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"I'm not sure how you can get slower than walking..."

Go too fast, get knackered and have to stop!

I can do a very brisk walk which wasn’t far short of my running pace when I started.

These threads are making me want to start up again, but I know I’m not built for running.

Walking and cycling suit me better, less lower leg impact.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"Ohhhh and don't be afraid to repeat weeks in the c25k plan, I often repeat weeks 1-3 at least once..."

This is the best advice anyone can give.

And I’ve you’re training for an event, build a couple of weeks in to support this.

I’ve a terrible habit of ramping too fast and breaking myself.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I'm not sure how you can get slower than walking...

Go too fast, get knackered and have to stop!

I can do a very brisk walk which wasn’t far short of my running pace when I started.

These threads are making me want to start up again, but I know I’m not built for running.

Walking and cycling suit me better, less lower leg impact. "

Ah but then if they had given up they would then have a park run finish time...

What i was trying to say was that when people first start out, even doing c25k or just walking their first park run, they can often have finish times of 60+ minutes.

That's not a bad thing and park runs don't mind at all... but saying its 'slower than walking' could be extremely off-putting to someone just starting out...

Related my first 5 parkruns I didn't finish, not because I went too fast, but just that I had a lot to overcome health and fitness wise. When I started I couldn't walk 200m without serious pain, I walked what I could and each time I pushed myself to walk that little bit further before I gave up.

This week I started c25k (timed rather than distance) again and in week 1 managed 3km in the 30mins. The first time I tried it, 6 years ago, I barely managed 1.5km in half an hour

By *AM2214Man
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Am also getting back into running. "

If you move on from things like Couch to 5k to running focused programmes you will see how important a strong core is to running efficiently...makes a hell if a difference but yep...one step or two miss a few then before you know it the first parkrun 5k or local 10k .....me? I used to run the Bath Marathon religiously, always under 3hrs but now I'd b3 looking to take a shower as running a bath breaks me out on a sweat and a Snickers is a Marathon isnt it?

Post new Message to Thread