Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A question about boiler's

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

my landlord informed me that am getting a new combi boiler in before xmas.at the moment i have an old back boiler which no longer works properly.after two gas men came out recently to inspect as to where to put new boiler i was informed that the only place was my son's bedroom.am not happy about this.apart from the noise and the possible carbon monoxide fumes its the total upheavel of all stuff been moved from the bedroom to downstairs,which means i have to move out some furniture to allow the bedroom furniture which includes.bed wardrobe. Cabinet.tv to go downstairs.i think them gas men are being twats.my landlord knows my thoughts on this but has sided with them gas men. Can i refuse to let them fit boiler in my son's bedroom? I dont even know if the old boiler is to be removed as my landlord didnt mention that.so more upheavel there if it is removed,and a mess to be cleaned up.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You haven’t got much of an argument against letting them in. If they’re replacing the boiler of safety/serviceability grounds. Why on earth would you refuse them entry.

A few days upheaval for piece of mind, hardly a major drama is it?

By *aiseaneyebrowMan
over a year ago

fylde

It’s legal enough to have one in a bedroom providing it’s a sealed unit etc.

The defining element is where the flue exits. Needs to be away from windows etc.

It certainly isn’t ideal positioning due to noise etc but if it’s genuinely the only option I’d rather have a newly installed boiler in a bedroom with a £10 carbon monoxide alarm than an old unserviced unit elsewhere.

over a year ago

No you can’t, a combo boiler he certain requirements, it has to vent to an outside wall, and where it vents externally that should be more than a metre away from the boundary. This limits where it can sensible go, and the central arising cupboard where the tank was is likely unsuitable. But as it’s a rented property, and the landlord had the requirement to provide safe heating etc, you’re not going to get much choice on where it goes, it’s not like hanging a picture on a wall. They are totally safe, and frankly I’d rather have a modern combi in a less than ideal location than an old immersion heater. Your heating and water will be so much better than before. And it’s totally safe, although make sure he fits an appropriate carbon monoxide alarm in the same room (legal requirement)

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

There is absolutely nothing to worry about lots of new homes come with combi gas boilers they're very safe they're very clean the very efficient only ones installed on the cheap by unqualified people pose a risk.

Your back boiler is lightly 20-years old a not been installed for a long time.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/12/21 11:25:39]

over a year ago

I can honestly say they’ll have assessed the best place for where the boiler goes. New boilers are extremely quiet and it will be safe from carbon monoxide.

It’s not a case of choosing where it goes, it’s where it can/allowed to go.

By *lan157Man
over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Could it go in the loft space?

over a year ago

Cumbria

[Removed by poster at 08/12/21 11:31:25]

over a year ago

Cumbria

"Could it go in the loft space? "

Accessibility when repairing and and servicing so unless the loft is suitable it will not be fitted in there.

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"Could it go in the loft space? "

Possibly but it would be more expensive to install and inconvenient to access for servicing, both of which would make it an unattractive option for a landlord.

By *Mids guyMan
over a year ago

Lichfield

"Could it go in the loft space?

Possibly but it would be more expensive to install and inconvenient to access for servicing, both of which would make it an unattractive option for a landlord."

Unfortunately you’ve answered your own question,

It comes down to cost, boilers can go on internal or external walls but the increased cost of flue components and inspection hatches for all joints can make it an expensive option

over a year ago

We have a boiler in our sons room. It is blocked off safely and a carbon monoxide alarm in situ which gets tested regularly along with the boiler.

It is very quiet and doesn't bother him or anyone else in the house.

over a year ago

Make sure the log book is filled in. Too many times they are done incorrectly.

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

Boilers are safe

You've got to pretty much knowingly bodge them up to make them unsafe

Room sealed combis draw the air from outside through the flue , and everything obviously vents to outside

You obviously have a hot water cylinder at the moment

Airing cupboard would be my first choice as a heating engineer

Either straight out if on an outside wall , or straight up and out of the roof , but which is more hassle and cost though

Combi conversion is usually determined by where the cylinder is

over a year ago

It will be fine honestly, just get a floor to ceiling cupboard built around it, you can use it for extra storage too and it will look neat, tidy and covet the pipes. We had one in our bedroom. Get a carbon monoxide alarm to put your mind at ease and all will be well.

over a year ago

Theres nothing you can really do with it being a rental.

As a landlord i wouldnt dream of sticking it in a bedroom id want it in the kitchen or utility for my tenants

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

You asked about this 3 weeks ago ?

Post new Message to Thread