Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

So apparently physics lessons were a lie

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

And electricity doesn’t travel in the way we believe it to travel.

As in a flow of electrons down a conductor transferring electrical charge from point A to point B.

So what did they teach you at school that wasn’t quite what you have found it to be?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

[Removed by poster at 06/12/21 22:17:20]

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I was taught in History that context is key to understanding things from multiple viewpoints and that it would be useful to keep an open mind to ensure your opinions can either remain balanced or you have enough justification to back up your opinion.

Turns out all you need to do it shout the loudest

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I was taught in History that context is key to understanding things from multiple viewpoints and that it would be useful to keep an open mind to ensure your opinions can either remain balanced or you have enough justification to back up your opinion.

Turns out all you need to do it shout the loudest "

Critical evaluation of multiple sources weighted by credibility and reproducibility. And the ability to let go of cherished beliefs when confronted with new contradictory evidence

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"And electricity doesn’t travel in the way we believe it to travel.

As in a flow of electrons down a conductor transferring electrical charge from point A to point B.

So what did they teach you at school that wasn’t quite what you have found it to be?"

How so? Are you comparing AC and DC?

over a year ago

So what did they teach you at school that wasn’t quite what you have found it to be?

How so? Are you comparing AC and DC?"

Electron drift in a conductor is tiny. The field moves at light speed.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

So what did they teach you at school that wasn’t quite what you have found it to be?"

The first thing they say to you at college is 'forget everything you learnt at school, it doesn't actually work that way it was simplified'

You pass your alevels and then get to uni and they say:

'forget everything you learnt at school, it doesn't actually work that way it was simplified'

over a year ago

At school I was told that I wouldn’t get a job at MacDonald’s. I asked for feedback after an interview but I think the ice cream machine q was a trick question

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

The first thing they say to you at college is 'forget everything you learnt at school, it doesn't actually work that way it was simplified'

'forget everything you learnt at school, it doesn't actually work that way it was simplified'

"

Literally. Yet you get people quoting their high school level biology in discussions about genetics all the time.

By *etwifeandhim69Couple
over a year ago

Darlington

"

That all life on earth was dependant on sunlight in the food chain. Now admittedly, I left school just before they discovered the first deep sea vent colonies which changed that view (and as such was a topic of discussion from my college biology professor) but I remember him going on at length how all the school text books where wrong and would need updating very soon.

over a year ago

"

That all life on earth was dependant on sunlight in the food chain. Now admittedly, I left school just before they discovered the first deep sea vent colonies which changed that view (and as such was a topic of discussion from my college biology professor) but I remember him going on at length how all the school text books where wrong and would need updating very soon. "

All life is dependent on stars though

By *uckyNineMan
over a year ago

prescot

I remember being told by the diner lady if I didn’t eat my crusts I wouldn’t get curly hair. Munched thru them like little trooper but not a curl ever appeared

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

How so? Are you comparing AC and DC?

Electron drift in a conductor is tiny. The field moves at light speed. "

Well, about two thirds of light speed anyway

over a year ago

You can erase history by rioting and throwing statues in rivers. Makes me think about going and burning my shitty school down cause I didn't like the shit hole and its part of my history. Actually just remembered someone beat me to it. RIP Earnock High School

over a year ago

I loved school , wasn't the greatest acedemic student but loved sport and everything else about it , great memories of it .

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

In computer studies we learnt Basic and Cesil. Cesil was a big waste of time, it was much better to get stuck straight into Basic.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

It's even worse than that. According to what I've seen, electricity doesn't even flow down wires. It flows around them.

over a year ago

It's even worse than that. According to what I've seen, electricity doesn't even flow down wires. It flows around them. "

They're wave guides, effectively, of varying efficiencies.

over a year ago

"Well, about two thirds of light speed anyway"

Anywhere between 45 and 99 percent of c. Light travels far more slowly through things other than a vacuum.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Our Technical Studies teacher was a dead ringer for Henriech Himmilar.

One of his favourite sayings was all schoolboys should know how to make gunpowder.

So I did but have never ignited it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

It's even worse than that. According to what I've seen, electricity doesn't even flow down wires. It flows around them. "

Assuming copper wire, the charge is transferred by free electrons orbiting around the nucleus of the copper atoms. Free electrons move along the copper atoms, transferring charge as they go. Movement is not completely unidirectional but will have an overall net movement towards the more positively charged "end".

(Grossly over simplified, doesn't take into account resistance etc)

over a year ago

"Our Technical Studies teacher was a dead ringer for Henriech Himmilar.

One of his favourite sayings was all schoolboys should know how to make gunpowder.

So I did but have never ignited it."

Reminds of a splendid episode of star trek where the knowledge saved Kirk and bizarrely of Blood Meridian where one of the main characters organised his fellows to produce cartridges with gunpowder made from materials he secured from the locale thus saving their lives.

I imagine you made black powder?

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Our Technical Studies teacher was a dead ringer for Henriech Himmilar.

So I did but have never ignited it.

Reminds of a splendid episode of star trek where the knowledge saved Kirk and bizarrely of Blood Meridian where one of the main characters organised his fellows to produce cartridges with gunpowder made from materials he secured from the locale thus saving their lives.

I imagine you made black powder? "

I did. Old Bungey as we called him was a sinister presence but his class was one where nobody defaced the desks or books!

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"

Exactly this - i remember approaching a girl in the pub and asking if she would wank me off for a pack of fizzy sherbert dip and got a totally different reaction to the one i got when i was at school!! - very disheartening!!

over a year ago

"

I did. Old Bungey as we called him was a sinister presence but his class was one where nobody defaced the desks or books!"

We had a teacher like that. She used to sit on a high stool in the corner wearing a graduation gown; I fancy she wore a mortar board, but she probably didn't; and glower at us, barking at any who dared to transgress.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I distinctly remember a school text book with a nice picture of dinosaurs in it and they looked slow and sad and all were grey. Since then dinosaurs have become faster, more colourful and feathered.

By *rben112Man
over a year ago

worcester

Electricity is smoke. When things break the smoke escapes and the appliance is dead

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Tbh my school was pretty spot on.

My year head said I'd never amount to anything.

And here I am stuck doing the same job for 40years.

Post new Message to Thread