Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How was your childhood

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How was your childhood? Were you a shy kid? Or more of a sporty outgoing one?

What were your favourite toys and did you get on with your peers?

Overall, my early childhood is filled with decent memories, apart from maybe a few traumatic events like when my parents separated and I was taken abroad by my mum for over a year.

I used to love playing with barbies and my dad used to buy me everything I wanted, like I can remember my first pair of white and pink roller skates and the beautiful sailor moon magic wands and Polly pockets!

Regarding to social interactions, I wasn’t shy, I used to be with the girls mostly and found it more difficult to interact with the boys, early in life. But I remember it was fun and lots of outdoors play

What about u guys? Any good memories u would like to share?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

A great time though I was spoilt as I was the youngest and only boy. Plus my eldest sister had died so I was a bit over protected shall we say.

However one sunny morning my parents were very in good cheer around the kitchen table and the sun would beam in down the hallway. Dad gave my sisters the money to get the first edition of the Shiver’n’Shake for me. Just sticks in my mind for some reason . I was 5.

By *HoneyWoman
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Hated my childhood! I grew I’m in a Hindu household. All my mum ever wanted was to be a good Indian girl and I hated it, always be in the kitchen cooking and cleaning when the men sat and did fuck all. Always be there to serve guests drinks.

I’m not religious at all and I rebelled against it. I remember one time I was doing my homework and my mum chased me around the house because I wouldn’t go in the kitchen to help.

I told myself one day I’m going to make something of myself. I have a better life now, my own place, a cute fluffy cat, good paying job.

over a year ago

"A great time though I was spoilt as I was the youngest and only boy. Plus my eldest sister had died so I was a bit over protected shall we say.

However one sunny morning my parents were very in good cheer around the kitchen table and the sun would beam in down the hallway. Dad gave my sisters the money to get the first edition of the Shiver’n’Shake for me. Just sticks in my mind for some reason . I was 5."

How strange how certain things just stick with us!! Were u taken by a rush of jealousy ?

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Very very happy and full of love and happy memories. As for toys I was Sindy mad. I just wanted everything Sindy. I remember actually crying with joy when I got the Sindy house for Christmas one year x

over a year ago

"Hated my childhood! I grew I’m in a Hindu household. All my mum ever wanted was to be a good Indian girl and I hated it, always be in the kitchen cooking and cleaning when the men sat and did fuck all. Always be there to serve guests drinks.

I’m not religious at all and I rebelled against it. I remember one time I was doing my homework and my mum chased me around the house because I wouldn’t go in the kitchen to help.

I told myself one day I’m going to make something of myself. I have a better life now, my own place, a cute fluffy cat, good paying job. "

I’m sorry you didn’t like your childhood, it must have been tough, but also I’m glad you decided how to live your life and that you wouldn’t be the woman who serves men that do fuck all and expect their dinner ready when they come home from work!!

over a year ago

"Very very happy and full of love and happy memories. As for toys I was Sindy mad. I just wanted everything Sindy. I remember actually crying with joy when I got the Sindy house for Christmas one year x"

LOVE THAT

I think I cried when I finally got the barbie palomino horse!!! He was fucking gorg

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Not great, which is why I did my best to make sure my children were as happy as I could make them.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Very very happy and full of love and happy memories. As for toys I was Sindy mad. I just wanted everything Sindy. I remember actually crying with joy when I got the Sindy house for Christmas one year x

LOVE THAT

I think I cried when I finally got the barbie palomino horse!!! He was fucking gorg

"

A funny thing that sticks in my mind is we always got an annual for Xmas and my mum always got it the wrong way round and I’d get Beano and my brother would get Judy or Jackie . So many times that happened!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It was good in some parts and bad in others. When my mother was well it was good and when she wasn't well...it wasn't good.

over a year ago

Were you guys spoilt?

Being an only child from dad side, I have to say I was spoilt rotten. More than I’d wish to admit

What Kylie wanted, Kylie *mostly* got. Apart from a puppy… she never got a puppy

My mum used to get mad at my dad for it!

over a year ago

"Were you guys spoilt?

Being an only child from dad side, I have to say I was spoilt rotten. More than I’d wish to admit

What Kylie wanted, Kylie *mostly* got. Apart from a puppy… she never got a puppy

My mum used to get mad at my dad for it! "

But I got rabbits and hamsters and Guinea pigs and even ducklings and chicks

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Were you guys spoilt?

My mum used to get mad at my dad for it! "

No I wasn't spoiled but being the oldest and the only girl with a load of brothers I did have oldest child status. I still have even now

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Happy to say I had a perfect childhood. Four brothers and far from wealthy but parents that had experienced the war as teenagers. They ensured we ate great food, much of which they would grow. A back up close by of uncles and aunts if help was needed.Freedom to go where I wanted. Current girlfriend is a deputy head and when she tells me the stories of kids at her school and the problems they have at home, it makes me reflect and be thankful.

They are both now 93 and I’ve never told them. I need to put that right.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Happy! Mostly happy.

I was the youngest of two brothers and we always had amazing times raised by a Daddy who worked all the hours to provide for us, we didn't want for anything....And the days out and holidays we had were always fun!

By *rincessPuddleDuck22Woman
over a year ago

.•°°

It was interesting to say the least but my favorite memories are all around Christmas.

The best one has to be when there were so many people a 4th table had to be set up upstairs, it was like a movie everything happening everyone there and most importantly an amazing day one that I hope to remember forever

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Oh christ. Erm. Volatile. Fearful. Lonely. Confusing.

There were some good things like going clay pigeon shooting but I enjoyed that because the places we went to had animals and I'd sit in goat pen for hours while my parents and sister went off and did the shoot. I spent a lot of my childhood yearning and trying to work out why I wasn't good enough. Internalised what I now understand to be my mothers incapacity to love the way other people's mums did. My dad worked a lot and didn't see him anywhere near the amount I needed or wanted. At the same time when he was home the air was tense which used to create anxiety in me and my sister and we'd whisper to each other "do you think they'll get a divorce?". That was back when not many people were divorcing and it was kinda taboo and far from the norm.

My fave toy was a glow worm.

Primary school was ok from what I can remember but I despised secondary.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Not spoilt at all. Got what I needed for Xmas and not what I wanted.

Gotta make those shoes last til Xmas, doesn't matter that you're getting bullied and called a tramp.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Oh christ. Erm. Volatile. Fearful. Lonely. Confusing.

There were some good things like going clay pigeon shooting but I enjoyed that because the places we went to had animals and I'd sit in goat pen for hours while my parents and sister went off and did the shoot. I spent a lot of my childhood yearning and trying to work out why I wasn't good enough. Internalised what I now understand to be my mothers incapacity to love the way other people's mums did. My dad worked a lot and didn't see him anywhere near the amount I needed or wanted. At the same time when he was home the air was tense which used to create anxiety in me and my sister and we'd whisper to each other "do you think they'll get a divorce?". That was back when not many people were divorcing and it was kinda taboo and far from the norm.

Primary school was ok from what I can remember but I despised secondary."

My next brother down from me used to sit in bed and wonder if my parents would get divorced. When I was about 8 and he was 6 mum told people in front of us that they were divorcing, my dad just stood there. They're still together and celebrate their 67th wedding anniversary next year :shrug:

By *pectressWoman
over a year ago

Midlothian

Sorry to hear this x I hope you got good therapy

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We had a fantastic holiday when I was 9 at a holiday camp. I still remember a lot of it

By *pectressWoman
over a year ago

Midlothian

Well it was far from happy and my two sisters and I are all broken … thing is we are broken in three different ways.

As far as I know I’m the only one that got therapy to deal with my brokenness

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Oh definately the best days of my life. Pretty much ignored by my parents except when being shouted at and punished and then bullied and ostricised by most of my peers.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I had a great childhood…my parents split when I was 4 but I don’t remember my dad ever being there, so never affected me.

We lived on a council estate and were poor but didn’t make any difference as there were plenty of kids to play with and everyone knew you on the estate.

I lived in my mums in the week and my dads at weekends and they lived nowhere near each other so I had two lives…two sets of friends groups. I could have had 2 girlfriends but I didn’t

But the best part was mobiles and internet did not exist…so you could do anything and it not be recorded…

K

By *hirdTimesACharmCouple
over a year ago

northamptonshire

"Hated my childhood! I grew I’m in a Hindu household. All my mum ever wanted was to be a good Indian girl and I hated it, always be in the kitchen cooking and cleaning when the men sat and did fuck all. Always be there to serve guests drinks.

I told myself one day I’m going to make something of myself. I have a better life now, my own place, a cute fluffy cat, good paying job.

I’m sorry you didn’t like your childhood, it must have been tough, but also I’m glad you decided how to live your life and that you wouldn’t be the woman who serves men that do fuck all and expect their dinner ready when they come home from work!!

"

Such an oxymoron

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

We didn't have much and dad was the only breadwinner. We didn't want for much though because it was impossible to miss something we'd never had.

Growing up in what was technically a war zone meant my normal was different to most on here. School was a half mile walk through one of the most heavily fortified parts of NI and carbombs and gunshots were as frequent as going to the cinema etc.

I became a carer at the age of 12 and as a result my "normal" teenage years were nonexistent.

I didn't get to experience all the things that teenagers take for granted.

All the above could have made me bitter and twisted and sent me off in a completely different direction but what it actually did was made me more determined to help others and eventually myself.

over a year ago

"Well it was far from happy and my two sisters and I are all broken … thing is we are broken in three different ways.

As far as I know I’m the only one that got therapy to deal with my brokenness "

I’m so sorry to hear x x

over a year ago

I had a great childhood until I was about 12 then everything went to shit. My home was a horrible place to be and it's fucked me up a lot. It's hard to focus on the good when the painful memories override them.

over a year ago

One of my best friends told me she felt extremely bullied or self aware that her parents divorced and other kids would point that out.

I never felt that way so it’s different for everyone.

But yeah I agree my childhood was also quite confusing, and unhappy for obvious reasons. X

over a year ago

Very hard knocks & tough times.

Not bitter. But trying to change and bring about some levels of fairness to balance.

They say any and every trauma runs deep and carry with you in life!!

over a year ago

My childhood memories are mostly happy. We lived in the country and didnt have much money but had a lot of freedom which was brilliant. I hated school though.

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Great childhood, Until the age of 12. After that its fractured and partly repressed. On the one side relatively normal and happy, wealthy upper middle class upbringing. Not spoiled but not wanting..... the other part was pure darkness, pain, fear, shame, guilt and rage... I kept the two parts separate and tried to present a normal facade to the rest of the world and tried to bury and hide from very some very dark and harcore shit that shouldn't have happened to any kid. Pain, Guilt, fear and shame like that never leave you untouched. And I know I don't have to explain what it's about any of this to you who lived this too....

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

my childhood was not good had a very abusive controlling mother who died when i was about 15 left me with very conflicting memories. I doubt I would have been any better off in care. perhaps we are all to some extent victims of out upbringing

over a year ago

Great childhood. We hadn't a pot to piss in or a window to through it out of but I have nothing but great memories right through to my teenage years. I'd fuckin do it all over again tomorrow if I could.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Was great full of love x

over a year ago

"Great childhood, Until the age of 12. After that its fractured and partly repressed. On the one side relatively normal and happy, wealthy upper middle class upbringing. Not spoiled but not wanting..... the other part was pure darkness, pain, fear, shame, guilt and rage... I kept the two parts separate and tried to present a normal facade to the rest of the world and tried to bury and hide from very some very dark and harcore shit that shouldn't have happened to any kid. Pain, Guilt, fear and shame like that never leave you untouched. And I know I don't have to explain what it's about any of this to you who lived this too.... "

I have to say my teens were a lot more.. heart aching for sure.

I used to make myself sick or not eat at all and go to hospital rather than attend school. But it kinda makes sense since I went to therapy on the reasons x

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

Mine was blessed wonderful parents always good fun and spoilt. I consider myself very lucky.

over a year ago

Awesome. Great family and friends, fortunate to go to a good school and do well in education and sports. The first 18 years were much easier than the second!

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Difficult but there are good bits. And I can't complain as the experience made me the person I am.

We were poor and didn't have much, my most prized possession was a sindy house my parents built from scratch using, left over paint, wallpaper and carpet from all of our relatives houses. It was blinking awesome. I was taught love isn't material things by my extended family but with time spent and thoughtfulness.

I had an abusive father but the bruises and scars have healed. There was trauma involved with this which led to self harm but that is something I overcame.

The trauma of being told I wasn't good enough left me being a shy kid in general. But also a little bossy. Both traits I have now

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

It's not til getting older and actually finding out that things wasn't good..my mother tried to kill herself not long after I was born and had mental health issues all her life..my father sort of kept the house together... emotionally a very cold environment..but saying.. that I was happy...had friend's.

over a year ago

Always felt the odd one out. Have this thing about being adopted but I know I wasn’t. My brother was always favoured. This is a difficult thread x

over a year ago

A really difficult thread ??

over a year ago

"Always felt the odd one out. Have this thing about being adopted but I know I wasn’t. My brother was always favoured. This is a difficult thread x "

Sorry to hear that! X

I also felt my mum favoured my younger brother to me x it is kinda shitty but maybe it’s only because she had to share her care and love between my siblings x while I was the only one with dad? I don’t know x

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Black and White.

The first 5 years of my life was during WW2 when all houses had to black out during the hours of darkness, toys were few and far between, sweets and all other foodstuffs were on ration and my dad was out in India fighting the Japanese.

Thing improved after the war, sweets were still on ration 4oz (100g) per person per week and Fruit was scrounged from a local

American Servicemans Billet.

Toys were appearing in the shops and I was fortunate enough to receive a Hornby clockwork train set for my 7th birthday.

In those days we had proper snow falls and White outs on a regular basis throughout the winter and we would trudge off through the snow to the local park dragging our homemade sledges.

Rationing went on unil 1953 by which time I was 13, this was the year of the Coronation and lots of street parties. Like so many other families we acquired our first T.V set, Black and White of course in time for the Coronation. My Dad was Secretary of a local Rowing club and I was encouraged to be a cox for one of the crews, in the winters I loved cross country running, the novelty wore of both sports as I got older.

over a year ago

I told myself one day I’m going to make something of myself. I have a better life now, my own place, a cute fluffy cat, good paying job. "

Sure. I understand tons pressure to be perfect heh.

As my late dad was an Army man. Very strict etc. Yes sir no sir! Stand tall lol

So much expectations put n expected of us.

Culture, taboo, society at large etc.

Glad you have found your place where you stand at the present.

All a journey heh and on Fab.

Sharing is caring.

Be like water.

Peace.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

We were that poor and couldn’t afford to buy me any clothes so I could never leave the house.

Imagine how chuffed I was on my 11th birthday. They bought me a hat so I could look out the window!

over a year ago

It is sad. Never felt loved.

over a year ago

"It is sad. Never felt loved. "

Im sorry to hear that. Do you have kids yourself?

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 05/12/21 11:57:08]

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I had a great childhood.

We didn't have lots of money but we did get lots of love and support and encouragement, along with appropriate discipline.

I was definitely not a girly girl. I hated dolls but loved playing with cars as a small child, then being out and about playing and climbing things when a bit older.

It wasn't all sunshine, we learnt life lessons having our terminally ill aunt living with us for much of her last 3 years in my teens.

My parents brought me and my sister up to be happy, confident, capable women.

Nita

over a year ago

"We were that poor and couldn’t afford to buy me any clothes so I could never leave the house.

Imagine how chuffed I was on my 11th birthday. They bought me a hat so I could look out the window! "

brilliant.

over a year ago

Not yet. But hopefully they will know I love them x

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

Not great, I had asthma for a large part of it, which held me back a lot.

My teens were much worse. I'd never revisit that.

over a year ago

So interesting to see how everyone had obviously different paths. I wonder how those early years shaped who you are today

over a year ago

"Not yet. But hopefully they will know I love them x"

Im sure they will.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Is it bad that I can’t remember

I don’t remember being particularly happy or sad

over a year ago

"Is it bad that I can’t remember

"

Like you don’t have recollection or ?

Can you remember your first day of school?

I had a red teddy bear backpack that I loved, I remember crying also as I wasn’t too into the idea . Also I remember that it was dad who took me to school, not mum x

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I had a red teddy bear backpack that I loved, I remember crying also as I wasn’t too into the idea . Also I remember that it was dad who took me to school, not mum x "

I have a lot of memories but I dunno how I feel about them. I just kinda existed

Never really thought about it

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"

That bad

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

That bad "

Oh no

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So interesting to see how everyone had obviously different paths. I wonder how those early years shaped who you are today "

I'd say our early years make us what we are. Give me a boy until he is 7 and I will show you the man etc. How we deal with it all and whether we decide to repeat or repair is what really makes the difference.

over a year ago

Same. Not happy or sad but looking back just nothing

over a year ago

In a really deep cave now. Some people will know what I mean xx

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Better than some, worse than others.

I loved my toys though, which has happily carried over into my adult life.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Nothing but happy memories of my childhood. I am social media friends with a lot from my first school. I was quiet but easy going. I still have my old school reports.

over a year ago

Mine was pretty sad, from an early age my family life was fractured and ended up moving around before eventually settling. I was picked on wherever i went, friends would come and go frequently and then be left out. I was neglected by my mother and my step father made no effort to form a connection with me. I played alone most times with only my imagination to offer me entertainment, besides playing video games. School was hard, i was part of a group of friends going into secondary school but i was rarely counted for or included most times. I was always the scape goat for ppl to blame when trouble occured, and nobody listened to me, even the teachers didnt make any effort to support me. My mother and step father did little to help either. And while i have a half brother and sister, only my brother was around more often due to the fracturing of the family. And even then i had no real bond with my siblings, they too treated me poorly, maybe cos they felt that i was the favoured one with our mother but that was rarely the case either considering the neglect.

Although i spent most of my childhood feeling extremely lonely and dealing with immense pain, im kinda thankful for having been put through all that. The solitary existence i had helped me focused my mind on the world around me, being the outsider allowed me to look at the world from the outside without being distracted by trivial things. I wouldnt be the person i am today had it not been for my childhood, and i certainly wouldnt have dreamt about being the best i could ever be, at anything i put my mind to.

As ive always known, the more you suffer, especially at an early age, as long as you keep your mind and feelings focused, the more you will grow stronger and better as an individual through time.

over a year ago

In a word. Awful.

Traumatic

Stressful

Left me with cptsd and bpd so my parents did a great job of fucking me over and screwing me up lol. I’m unscrewing myself now and doing good

over a year ago

"Mine was pretty sad, from an early age my family life was fractured and ended up moving around before eventually settling. I was picked on wherever i went, friends would come and go frequently and then be left out. I was neglected by my mother and my step father made no effort to form a connection with me. I played alone most times with only my imagination to offer me entertainment, besides playing video games. School was hard, i was part of a group of friends going into secondary school but i was rarely counted for or included most times. I was always the scape goat for ppl to blame when trouble occured, and nobody listened to me, even the teachers didnt make any effort to support me. My mother and step father did little to help either. And while i have a half brother and sister, only my brother was around more often due to the fracturing of the family. And even then i had no real bond with my siblings, they too treated me poorly, maybe cos they felt that i was the favoured one with our mother but that was rarely the case either considering the neglect.

Although i spent most of my childhood feeling extremely lonely and dealing with immense pain, im kinda thankful for having been put through all that. The solitary existence i had helped me focused my mind on the world around me, being the outsider allowed me to look at the world from the outside without being distracted by trivial things. I wouldnt be the person i am today had it not been for my childhood, and i certainly wouldnt have dreamt about being the best i could ever be, at anything i put my mind to.

As ive always known, the more you suffer, especially at an early age, as long as you keep your mind and feelings focused, the more you will grow stronger and better as an individual through time. "

I’m so sorry to hear that you had a difficult childhood due to moving around loads and with your parents splitting up.

I do believe that you are right, tho sometimes certain traumas do remain with us from childhood and eventually we need to deal with them . In one way or another

over a year ago

I had a red teddy bear backpack that I loved, I remember crying also as I wasn’t too into the idea . Also I remember that it was dad who took me to school, not mum x

I have a lot of memories but I dunno how I feel about them. I just kinda existed

Never really thought about it "

Very odd x maybe you are fencing/shutting them off?

over a year ago

If this forum triggers people- please can they talk to someone or get professional help..there is no ashame in that.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Childhood was a nightmare: religious zealot parents who believed children should be seen not heard.

I was the top of my class at school but told "you people" are better at service jobs. Having parents who didn't challenge the system meant I struggled and suffered unnecessarily, but it built character.

Only good thing about my childhood was it taught me what not to do to raise happy, confident, secure children.

My kids can ask me anything confident the answer is yes, when do you want me? My daughter asked if I could accompany her when she had her wisdom tooth removed. Her husband and children would pick her up after. Her appointment was 11am. I said not a problem, I'd meet her there.

Did I mention I live in London and she lives in Cardiff?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Childhood was a nightmare: religious zealot parents who believed children should be seen not heard.

I was the top of my class at school but told "you people" are better at service jobs. Having parents who didn't challenge the system meant I struggled and suffered unnecessarily, but it built character.

Only good thing about my childhood was it taught me what not to do to raise happy, confident, secure children.

My kids can ask me anything confident the answer is yes, when do you want me? My daughter asked if I could accompany her when she had her wisdom tooth removed. Her husband and children would pick her up after. Her appointment was 11am. I said not a problem, I'd meet her there.

Did I mention I live in London and she lives in Cardiff? "

We were only saying the other day that if your family asks you do everything in your power to respond with a yes. Obviously there are exceptions.

By *uck-RogersMan
over a year ago

Tarka trail

At times through life. We pay for other peoples sins. Always remember !!! There is always someone a lot worst off than yourself. As we have seen in the news just recently. Focus on happy memories and thoughts.

Smile and laugh regularly.

over a year ago

I would say a very negative experience full of physical, mental and sexual abuse by those who were meant to love me. Mental health issues, suicide attempts and depression from a very young age. Also terrible times at school with constant bullying as I was an easy target. I don't have many happy memories. I was very quiet and shy.

I'm much happier these days.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The bits where I was with my Grandparents were amazing. Lots of love, home cooked food, games of Scrabble, cards and Monopoly (aka One Parrot). Trips round the Lake District and Morecambe and the occasional holiday (usually Mallorca). Having to be super quiet on Saturday mornings while my Grandad taught music in the living room and wash day was Monday. Their house had no central heating, no TV or any mod cons and it was fantastic. My Grandparents were amazing and I wish I'd spent my entire childhood with them.

The bits where I lived with my mother and one or other of her husbands - very unstable. Full of emotional abuse and constantly in flux, moved schools all the time, moved house every 5mins (or so it seemed) and constantly watching the pennies because we had no money. I was the kid on "bring a toy to school day" who brought a cushion and a book. I had no toys I could bring.

The bits with my Dad - variable. Often fun, travelling the length and breadth of the UK following Tranmere. Very occasional trips abroad but we only saw him every 3rd weekend because my mother stopped us seeing him. It was horribly awkward because they couldn't speak to each other without arguing, so I became the "middle man" and relayed messages between them... "Dad says we'll be home after tea...." "Well tell your father I'm making XYZ so I want you home at 4pm...." She'd do that just to be spiteful and to spoil his plans.

My Grandad died in January and a bit of me died with him.

over a year ago

North West

Oh, and I was the "swot" at school and got picked on for being clever. It didn't bother me too much though.

over a year ago

I once listened to a podcast where kieran culkin was being interviewed and his words kinda stuck.

He said along the lines of once a person hits 30, they should stop defining themselves in terms of their childhood

over a year ago

North West

"I once listened to a podcast where kieran culkin was being interviewed and his words kinda stuck.

He said along the lines of once a person hits 30, they should stop defining themselves in terms of their childhood "

Some of us still have to manage the impact of shitty childhoods after the age of 30. Emotional abuse doesn't stop once you have departed your 20s. People who have experienced any form of abuse have to live with it forever.

over a year ago

Very brave and inspiring this

over a year ago

BIt of a mix and the jury is out at the mo, but a lot better than so many other folks.

I liked Action Force/GI Joe stuff, always wanted a Werebear but they were too expensive.

Lego but that is a it of a cheat as it has remained cool as fuck.

over a year ago

"I once listened to a podcast where kieran culkin was being interviewed and his words kinda stuck.

He said along the lines of once a person hits 30, they should stop defining themselves in terms of their childhood "

This gives me hope. I’m approaching 30. Like 22 days away and through some really good therapy. I’ve made peace with my past. I still find it hard but it doesn’t define me anymore, I’m a survivor.

over a year ago

"BIt of a mix and the jury is out at the mo, but a lot better than so many other folks.

I liked Action Force/GI Joe stuff, always wanted a Werebear but they were too expensive.

Lego but that is a it of a cheat as it has remained cool as fuck. "

I used to steal my little brother’s max steel and action men for my barbies as Ken wasn’t manly enough for them !!!!

Thanks for this remembering

over a year ago

Solitary is probably the best way to describe it. I never went short of any essentials, I was never mistreated. I'm quiet by nature and never push myself into social groups. We lived too far from my few school friends to see them out of school so I was mostly alone. My older brother and I always fought for probably stupid reasons, right up until he left school. I have no happy memories of childhood. When I was 19 I left and never went back.

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple
over a year ago

Fucksville

40% good and 60% absolute shite. Taught me a lot of lessons though and I'm grateful or I wouldn't be the person I am today x every cloud and all that.

over a year ago

"BIt of a mix and the jury is out at the mo, but a lot better than so many other folks.

I used to steal my little brother’s max steel and action men for my barbies as Ken wasn’t manly enough for them !!!!

Thanks for this remembering "

I remember that special edition Threesome Barbie. Or was it Spitroast Barbie? I'll google it......

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I had an idyllic and somewhat privileged childhood. I certainly wasn't spoilt but I never went without; life was very free and easy. I've got lots of happy memories.

I was bubble wrap protected from the real world, which came as a huge shock in my later teens when I spread my wings.

I've tried to give my kids that same freedom and privilege I had, although with a better perspective on how others live and an appreciation of different cultures, through friendships and travel.

C

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

Good for you

I hate Star Wars too

By *not123Couple
over a year ago

sp1

[Removed by poster at 05/12/21 18:57:30]

over a year ago

I had a very large family. It was fun for get togethers etc but I'm not the outgoing type or like interacting with lots of people so I loved it when I moved out.

Childhood was good though in the grand scheme of things. Even though there was alot of us we had everything we wanted/needed.

By *not123Couple
over a year ago

sp1

I had a good childhood , parents were quite strict with me being the only girl but I was extremely sneaky getting upto mischief , bunking school alot to go to town but always still.looking like a good girl. Very sporty at school. Had some great parties right till I was 21.

Great mates

I was reasonably shy unless with my mates down pub under age drinking

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I'm the youngest of 4 and felt I was quite sheltered as a kid as we didn't live in the best area so it felt my parents tried to over-compenasate in trying to ensure I didn't get up to trouble.

That did make it hard to make friends because even though I made them at school, I could never hang out with them after school which lead me to being quite shy perhaps the least popular in the friend group. I was always well behaved at school though and never wanted for anything at home which was good. As I'm getting older, I'm trying to be more outgoing and making sure that the friends I make remain friends

over a year ago

Difficult... Narcissistic parents.

That's all I have to say about that.

over a year ago

Thanks for this remembering

I remember that special edition Threesome Barbie. Or was it Spitroast Barbie? I'll google it......

........ "

Spit roast barbie she was a total skank and used to do both on the side

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

I had very strict, religious parents. They came to the UK from Jamaica in the early 50s. Their pent up anger, confusion and sadness needed an outlet: couldn't take it out on the source, they saw themselves as guest and you don't argue with people in their own home. So my sisters and I became the whipping boys.

I'm in my 60s...don't have many happy memories.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

Erm… first 18 months, horrific. Rest has been pretty good.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

I was pretty shy and introverted, still am to some degree. I remember being bullied a fair bit, generally verbally rather than physically, that stopped when I told one of them in no uncertain terms to get fucked and I wish I'd done it earlier I had a small group of good friends that I was grateful for, still in contact with one of them.

I loved my video games and technology and still do (which probably contributed to the bullying), and wasn't much for team sports - I was pretty awful at football - but I loved athletics and solo sports in general.

LvM

over a year ago

Can’t complain, my parents tried there best…

Still didn’t get that millennium falcon I always wanted though…

over a year ago

I hated much of my childhood.

My dad was an angry, aggressive d*unk. My mum tries but simply doesn’t know how to give sincere love.

My sister hated me. I think she still does.

Bullied every day of school.

I do have some happy memories but my overwhelming memory is always feeling I was in the wrong no matter what I did.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

We were brought up fundamentalist Christian so had strong ties within the church but no mixing with people outside. This meant I never really made friends at school - I certainly wasn't bullied though I'm not sure why, just a bit of a loner. I think I learnt early on to get on with people while remaining detached.

My parents separated when I was 13/14 and I grew up very quickly then doing all the DIY in the house as we had a number of problems one after the other that needed sorting. I fitted my mums kitchen at 17 and 26 years later it's still there. That period of my life I remember as feeling way more grown up than I can possibly have been looking back on it.

Prior to that I have mostly happy memories of days out and holidays with the family, camping mostly and before that self catering cottages in place like North Wales. A mix of walks and playing outdoors, no really bad or sad events and would say overall a very badly childhood, not spoilt in monetary terms but given a huge amount of freedom to make my own mistakes and learn to cope.

Mr

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

My mum and dad divorced when I was 7 and my sister was 3, I woke up one morning and he had just vanished, it was like I’d lost a piece of me. A few weeks later of him not returning home my mum told me he wouldn’t be back, but we would see him again. We saw my dad every weekend for a year after this then one day it just stopped, later in life I discovered he told my mum it was just too much…despite proceeding to date a woman with a child the same age as my sister.

My mum had it tough but god did she provide, she worked two jobs and put herself through university to become an accountant, my grandparents were amazing and helped to raise us, we never went without love and care and that’s all that mattered.

Although I remember some very difficult times the majority of my memories are happy ones and ones that taught me what resilience, determination and grit are! My mother is the strongest woman I know and she brought us up just fine on her own.

I have the same friends I met whilst at primary and high school and those are the family I chose for myself, they have surrounded me with support, love and no judgement for my whole life.

I consider myself very lucky

Xx

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I was a little shy as a child. I was ok in school making friends etc but hated being centre of attention, and I always got picked to read the school play.

My childhood was perfect.

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

Very happy indeed

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

no good memories, mainly spent in care homes , lots of being bullied etc, i did learn to fight tho so one plus point, all in all a time i would rather forget

By *hekaiserMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Pretty happy childhood.

Was the shy kid in the corner abd hated being the centre attention. Parents worked hard to provide for us, Dad's business slipped and it became even harder to survive but did not go a day/night without food etc

Eternally grateful to my parents.

Siblings...well can't get along with everyone. I'm the oldest, middle child still to this day sufferers middle child syndrome and we have slowly drifted apart...feel terrible about it but I just can't face talking to my middle sibling

over a year ago

Very shy as a child, loved and excelled at sport which was my outlet ????

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Never had much and certainly nothing new to wear allways hand me downs remember feeling constantly hungry just the way it was I was the middle child 2 older and 2 younger! I'm sure I was my dads fav child my mum was not maternal at all! But still remember it with fondness happy carefree days x

By *ibsonsgCouple
over a year ago

New Milton

Shite

Post new Message to Thread