FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

facebook(etc)...mobiles.... & protection!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My little one wants a mobile. To me kids should b around 10 with knowledge of responsibility and the purpose being for safety whilst out and about or txting under supervision during the weekend/evenings if help with homework n such. Friendship circles are needed greatly for kids, but I do not think at 6,7,8,9,10,11 or under 14 even - that Facebook n other means should be allowed. My daughters dad however, wants to keep in touch through these means. A blackberry at her age for Christmas is just ridiculous and if is sent here - shall be sent on a long ass holiday bk!!! He does not see it. My partner thinks let him do what he wants, I can monitor her usage! Opinions greatly received.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS
over a year ago

Cheadle

What are you afraid of hun?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You haven't actually said how old your little 'un is...?

over a year ago

My 8yr and 11yr old boys both have mobiles. For the sole purpose of knowing where they are when out with their pals!

My 11yr old boy is on fb, he uses it to keep in touch with his classmates and play the games on their.

His account is checked weekly by myself and if any inpropriety it is taken away from him for a suitable amount of time! (and when i say inpropriety, i mean swearing, slating other kids or just general kids stuff).

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I thought you had to be 12 to have a facebook account?

Why don't you set it up and keep hold of the login details? Use an email address only you have access to so you will know if they try to change the password etc. Insist on spot checks of the phone, internet history, texts, calls etc

My nephew dies have a phone and he is

. But to be fair the appeal wore off so quickly he hardly uses it. And he only got it because they were going to London and they thought if he got lost he could ring someone (of course he has never been lost, ever but I think grandad also wanted to play the cool card )

over a year ago

"You haven't actually said how old your little 'un is...?

"

yh, I don't wanna lol. But junior school x

over a year ago

"What are you afraid of hun? "
The big bad world and personally I think kids have too much at their finger tips. I would rather she had a computer * I need to log on n off an can skype her dad/nan etc when likes. No need for the mobile or anything. Settings on skype can be for contacts only etc, I know.

over a year ago

Bit of usefull advice if your children use the internet be it for facebook or any other site. If you google CEOP...it the child explotation online protection..ceop.it gives fantastic advice on how to keep children safe online no matter what age the child

They are world leaders in this field.

Hope admin doesnt remove this post as its very usefull.

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS
over a year ago

Cheadle

"What are you afraid of hun? The big bad world and personally I think kids have too much at their finger tips. I would rather she had a computer * I need to log on n off an can skype her dad/nan etc when likes. No need for the mobile or anything. Settings on skype can be for contacts only etc, I know. "

OK, so it seems like you just need to chat with everyone concerned and voice your opinions, I'm certain that you will come to a satisfactory conclusion for all of you even though you might have to give and take a little, I hope you get some peace of mind, hugz, x

over a year ago

Ahh, yes there is that too, although allowing supervised time at this age is all it would be. As to compromising with an always right, control freak of an x(mine is being a responsible parent) over the owning of said items - or usage of sites..... Grrr!

Thanks all x

over a year ago

at 14 I'd hope most kids had a grasp of technology and could be trusted not to be using it inappropriately or of course not having inappropriate contacts.ASpart from the odd squabble, my 5 nieces and nephews all appear to use facebook well, the younger ones (11,12), have had their facebooks set up as non public and other safeguards in place(likely checking who is who in friends lists).To be honest, theres prrobably more idiotic adults using the site with each other than kids.

it was great when kids didnt have all these things at such an early age some people think...however thats just the older generations perception...a pretty misguided one in my opinion

over a year ago

"at 14 I'd hope most kids had a grasp of technology and could be trusted not to be using it inappropriately or of course not having inappropriate contacts.ASpart from the odd squabble, my 5 nieces and nephews all appear to use facebook well, the younger ones (11,12), have had their facebooks set up as non public and other safeguards in place(likely checking who is who in friends lists).To be honest, theres prrobably more idiotic adults using the site with each other than kids.

it was great when kids didnt have all these things at such an early age some people think...however thats just the older generations perception...a pretty misguided one in my opinion"

I never mentioned 14. My daughter is 8 in Feb, not that I was wanting to share. Her father thinks she should have access to these things - I am happy she gets her dolls/ponies/board games out, practices hairdressing n dressing up n winds her brother up!! At her age, it is in my opinion - what she should be doing!!

over a year ago

"Bit of usefull advice if your children use the internet be it for facebook or any other site. If you google CEOP...it the child explotation online protection..ceop.it gives fantastic advice on how to keep children safe online no matter what age the child

They are world leaders in this field.

Hope admin doesnt remove this post as its very usefull."

over a year ago

"at 14 I'd hope most kids had a grasp of technology and could be trusted not to be using it inappropriately or of course not having inappropriate contacts.ASpart from the odd squabble, my 5 nieces and nephews all appear to use facebook well, the younger ones (11,12), have had their facebooks set up as non public and other safeguards in place(likely checking who is who in friends lists).To be honest, theres prrobably more idiotic adults using the site with each other than kids.

it was great when kids didnt have all these things at such an early age some people think...however thats just the older generations perception...a pretty misguided one in my opinion I never mentioned 14. My daughter is 8 in Feb, not that I was wanting to share. Her father thinks she should have access to these things - I am happy she gets her dolls/ponies/board games out, practices hairdressing n dressing up n winds her brother up!! At her age, it is in my opinion - what she should be doing!!"

yes u never mentioned what age she was...but u did give age ranges up to 14 in ur first post.Also have a niece at 8, she doesnt have facebook or a mobile,though she is granted internet access(normally binweevils or something, small games and barbie fashion things)...

still think earlier teenage years are vastly different from 'our' times...and to be honest, giving a level of responsibility for ownership for adult(well theres no age limitation) gizmos hass helped my young relatives understand the value of such things and how to keep them.

As to the point should she have ownership of one?- yes...not for school and going out with.She doesnt even need internet access with it I'm sure.

There are plenty of interactive learning games available etc etc

over a year ago

Indeed...

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"My 8yr and 11yr old boys both have mobiles. For the sole purpose of knowing where they are when out with their pals!

My 11yr old boy is on fb, he uses it to keep in touch with his classmates and play the games on their.

His account is checked weekly by myself and if any inpropriety it is taken away from him for a suitable amount of time! (and when i say inpropriety, i mean swearing, slating other kids or just general kids stuff)."

Thats a good attitude to usage you have there in my opinion ,if its the right operating system you can slip apps on where you can track where they are on a map.reassuring if they forget what time they are due home

Post new Message to Thread