Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

RIP OFF BRITAIN!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just ran out of contract with my phone and broadband and was trying to find a better deal!

My current provider is offering a fantastic half price deal,but of course its only open to new customers...always pisses me off that!!!!

Anyway, wanted to save myself the hassle of changing providers so rang them up for a moan,apparently the best my loyalty deserves is 2 monthes half price line rental.

Why thankyou i said how generous,but i will have a look around.

Had a think and not to be outdone decided to be cheeky and ring again to try my luck with another operator, so i got my posh phone voice on and bagged a lovely £150ish off for the year!!

Just goes to show,persistance and a little cheek do pay!!

Whats the best deal you`ve ever blagged??? :

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I phoned a supermarket customer care line about my xmas turkey 2 years ago.. Took it from the packaging xmas eve and it was totally off.. Ruined xmas dinner

They refunded me for the turkey along with 100 quid gift card for the store and 100 cheque as goodwill...

(i only wanted a refund for the bloody turkey) lol

By *uckoo clockCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Virgin phoned me and said since i am a loyal customer they would double my monthly minutes from 200 to 400 for just an extra two quid a month which meant i would be paying £12 (sim only)

Three days later there was an add in paper advertising unlimited minutes for the same amount for anyone.

Loyalty.....taking the piss me thinks !!

By *atcockleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

I once went to buy the Christmas booze from morrisons and had a frilly load I said to the woman I would put 1 of each case of each beer and I bottle of each spirit on the till and she could put the amounts through the till. She only rang them through as 1's and I paid just over £50 quid for £200 quids worth of beer was a great Christmas

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I once went to buy the Christmas booze from morrisons and had a frilly load I said to the woman I would put 1 of each case of each beer and I bottle of each spirit on the till and she could put the amounts through the till. She only rang them through as 1's and I paid just over £50 quid for £200 quids worth of beer was a great Christmas "

the irony of putting this in a rip off thread isn't lost on me.

technically is probably theft

By *hynottsCouple
over a year ago

nottingham

"Just ran out of contract with my phone and broadband and was trying to find a better deal!

My current provider is offering a fantastic half price deal,but of course its only open to new customers...always pisses me off that!!!!

Anyway, wanted to save myself the hassle of changing providers so rang them up for a moan,apparently the best my loyalty deserves is 2 monthes half price line rental.

Why thankyou i said how generous,but i will have a look around.

Had a think and not to be outdone decided to be cheeky and ring again to try my luck with another operator, so i got my posh phone voice on and bagged a lovely £150ish off for the year!!

Just goes to show,persistance and a little cheek do pay!!

Whats the best deal you`ve ever blagged??? :"

tell them you going to close your account just keep telling them that you will get the new deal we did

over a year ago

We are with bt and I ring up every year when my 12 months is up And threaten to leave, last time I got a new hub and the phone that goes with it for free plus there unlimited package which is 25 quid for 12 quid a month, its amazing what they do for you as soon as you say the word leave

By *atcockleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"I once went to buy the Christmas booze from morrisons and had a frilly load I said to the woman I would put 1 of each case of each beer and I bottle of each spirit on the till and she could put the amounts through the till. She only rang them through as 1's and I paid just over £50 quid for £200 quids worth of beer was a great Christmas

technically is probably theft "

most of the things put in this thread are technically fraud as most are lying to the company they are going to "leave" to get a better deal

By *reybearMan
over a year ago

medway

"I once went to buy the Christmas booze from morrisons and had a frilly load "

.....sorry, I lost this at "frilly load" lol

By *atcockleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"I once went to buy the Christmas booze from morrisons and had a frilly load

.....sorry, I lost this at "frilly load" lol

"

spelling mistake fully lol

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

"I once went to buy the Christmas booze from morrisons and had a frilly load I said to the woman I would put 1 of each case of each beer and I bottle of each spirit on the till and she could put the amounts through the till. She only rang them through as 1's and I paid just over £50 quid for £200 quids worth of beer was a great Christmas

technically is probably theft "

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Ok,lol getting all the beer is abit naughty,but im abit naughty too so id be a happy bunny

But getting a better deal for sky or broadband,come on....fraud!!

There ripping existing customers off,whats better for them? Me going elsewhere for a deal or me keep giving them my money for another year.

When they start playing fair i will

By *atcockleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Ok,lol getting all the beer is abit naughty,but im abit naughty too so id be a happy bunny

But getting a better deal for sky or broadband,come on....fraud!!

There ripping existing customers off,whats better for them? Me going elsewhere for a deal or me keep giving them my money for another year.

When they start playing fair i will "

I'm with you they should play fair and rip you off like crazy and have used the tactic myself but we are still lying to obtain a discount. But a white lie never hurt anyone I won't tell if you don't

over a year ago

A few years ago I was with Sky and switched to Virgin and 6 months later Sky rang and asked what it would take to entice me back to them so I said, "make me an offer," and the guy on the phone said, "well, you had our phone, tv and broadband so that places you in our valued customer list, and on that basis I can give you our fastest broadband, telephone line rental and the total TV package for £50/month for 12 months."

"Done!" said I.

Tip: If you are wanting to save money on your communications bill, regardless of which one you're with, ring them on a Thursday and tell them you are leaving. The reason I mentioned Thursday is because they have a set amount of deals for the week. They don't give them all away in the first part of the week but they don't want to be stuck with unsold deals by Friday. Thursday is when they give the best deals out. Both Sky and Virgin operate in this way. The moment you threaten to leave they put you straight through to Retentions Dept.

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

Before I mention my current rip off rant, I'll chip in on the "I'm leaving" approach with comms companies. I've sold phones in the past and probably the best thing to do is if you do not get the deal you want threaten to leave. You need to be convincing and ask for your PAC code. Have another deal to mention for comparison. Not an unbelievable one like an iPhone 5 for £15 a month but slightly better in your mind than the deal you're actually after.

This is not fraud it is negotiation. Part of the reason for the phrase Rip off Britain is that, as a culture, we are conditioned to accept the price we see. Most other cultures accept and welcome haggling.

Even sale items can be achieved even cheaper. If something (in my recent case a whole pallet of decking boards already down to £1 each in B&Q ) is reduced to clear, then often the store really does want to clear them. I bought the whole pallet of decking and got another tenner off just by cheekily asking.

If you are buying a washing machine, get at least free delivery. If buying more than one appliance at the same time then haggle a bit. Keep it polite and light hearted and you may well get a better deal.

My current issue is when shops increase the price just so they can reduce it again. It started with sofas but now covers everything from dishwasher tablets to butter. Worse still is the amount you now get. Cheese "on offer" is rarely 400g and more often 370 or 350. Not much less but enough to not make the deal worthwhile. There are lots of instances of this now in supermarkets. While it may be fraud as such, it's things like this that I think verge on misrepresentation.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

In supermarkets and shops, I always look at the "price per kilo" section on meat price labels.

In our local shop last night I wanted some chicken. There were three different sizes available, all from the same supplier. Two were breasts, one was around six hundred grammes and was at roughly 7 quid a kilo, and the other was around 400 grammes, but was priced at 12 quid a kilo!

The third option was cut into small pieces, around 500 grammes, and was for around 9 quid a kilo, but was buy one get one free.

Same thing in our local larger supermarket, was looking for cubed pork, and they didnt have any, so we grabbed the in-store butcher, and asked him to open two packs of pork neck, trim the fat and cube it for us.... we ended up paying less for the meat than if we had bought both packs..... go figure?

Always pays to look at what you are buying.

Recently, looking for a car, went to one of these discount car places. Looking to spend about 2 and a half grand. Wandered round, and the only one's I liked were out of my price range.

Place was quiet, and the salesmen were hovering about.

When they saw me heading towards the exit, one homed in on me and started asking if there was anything I liked. Smelling his desperation, I said there were a few, but a little too pricey for me, I'd need a bit of a discount, and there and then he offered me a thousand off any car if I wanted it!!! Planning to go back at the weekend and add a bit to my stake, and see if I cant get a bit more off... planning to spend 3 grand on a 4 and a half grand car lol!

Post new Message to Thread