Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Warhammer fans

Jump to newest

By *heRazorsEdge OP   Man
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Holding my hands up here, I’m a guy in his 40’s and yes, I’m a fan of building, painting and playing Warhammer 40K.

Got back into building and painting after a long absence during lockdown and found it quite helpful for mental health.

Any other fans on here?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Yep, Mr KC

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

not so much 40k these days but wargaming and miniatures for sure

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Haven't played in years, but loving the novels. Big Gaunt's Ghosts fan.

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Haven't played in years, but loving the novels. Big Gaunt's Ghosts fan.

"

I’ve not really got into the Black library stuff yet… I’m trying to get into Horus rising but I’ve got other books on the go too at the moment and it gets put to the back burner

By *annia440Man
over a year ago

greater London

Got back into it about 3 years ago find it really relaxing and definatly good for your mental health. Big fan of the heresy novels and dark angels but hoping there is more about the redemptors, probably best marine chapter but a nightmare to paint

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Got back into it about 3 years ago find it really relaxing and definatly good for your mental health. Big fan of the heresy novels and dark angels but hoping there is more about the redemptors, probably best marine chapter but a nightmare to paint"

This is why I enjoy painting Death Guard… so easy to cover mistakes

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

I’m guessing it’s a bit too niche for people then!

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

I haven't since college but I always enjoyed it and probably still would if I had the patience for it

LvM

over a year ago

North West

"I’m guessing it’s a bit too niche for people then!"

Mr KC loves his Warhammer and miniatures but he doesn't really use the forums

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Made the mistake of walking in a shop and asking someone how to play.

Lost a week of my life that day

By *hrobinsonMan
over a year ago

Bridgnorth

40k fan here - Raven Guard plus a bunch of other half baked, grey plastic pile of shame business!

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Made the mistake of walking in a shop and asking someone how to play.

Lost a week of my life that day "

It’s not a quick pastime

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

I still collect and play, but prefer historical games, such as SAGA and Bolt Action,or Chosen Men.

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"I still collect and play, but prefer historical games, such as SAGA and Bolt Action,or Chosen Men."

Why do you prefer them?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I played back in the 90's, using the original Rogue Trader rules. We stopped playing when a pistol, could take out a Dreadnought.

I had a full company of Rainbow Warriors, with 23 Tech marines, a bike and sidecar squad.

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

"I still collect and play, but prefer historical games, such as SAGA and Bolt Action,or Chosen Men.

Why do you prefer them?"

I just do, I've always preferred historical games over 40K.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Yeah, there's actually loads of us everywhere - it's kinda alarming.

Blood for the blood God, etc.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Made the mistake of walking in a shop and asking someone how to play.

Lost a week of my life that day

It’s not a quick pastime "

Or cheap

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Got back into it about 3 years ago find it really relaxing and definatly good for your mental health. Big fan of the heresy novels and dark angels but hoping there is more about the redemptors, probably best marine chapter but a nightmare to paint

This is why I enjoy painting Death Guard… so easy to cover mistakes "

"It's not a brush slip it's pus"

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Got back into it about 3 years ago find it really relaxing and definatly good for your mental health. Big fan of the heresy novels and dark angels but hoping there is more about the redemptors, probably best marine chapter but a nightmare to paint

"It's not a brush slip it's pus""

Literally half of my painting…. Whack some Blood for the blood god on it

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/11/21 14:54:48]

over a year ago

Since I have daddy issues… Papa Nurgle

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Since I have daddy issues… Papa Nurgle "

welcome you sassy Nurgling…

over a year ago

Painting but not really ever got interested in warhammer.

I still paint the odd figure on request now and then. Did my largest piece (an earth dragon) just recently for a game of dnd. 6inches. Actually 6 inches.

By *ambofkMan
over a year ago

Hamilton

I’m a ork warboss here WAAAAGHHH!

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"It's not a brush slip it's pus"

Literally half of my painting…. Whack some Blood for the blood god on it"

Then liquid talent (Nuln Oil) on top of everything else

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"I’m a ork warboss here WAAAAGHHH!"

Quite fancying getting 500 or so points of Orks...

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

The only Ork I’ve got is part of a terrain piece… a lander crashed on him

By *ornyguyMan
over a year ago

Hillsborough, NI

I wasn't much of a gamer if it but enjoyed the painting; always found it therapeutic and relaxing as others have eluded to. I want to get back into the painting. Seems some of the paint techniques and types of paints have changed.

over a year ago

Logan is a big warhammer fan and I've taken to painting marvel models in the past but not very often

By *ohn-alt89Man
over a year ago

Southampton

Not just Warhammer but miniatures in general, currently Marvel stuff. No shame either haha. It’s such a good hobby with so many different aspects and it’s definitely great for positive mental health and well-being

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

I’ve looked at a few of the Marvel Crisis Protocol mini’s, but think I’d prefer the greater freedom painting things how I want with Warhammer…. I’d be too inclined to do comic accurate paint schemes

over a year ago

Games Workshop produces possibly the worst gaming system. It's never balanced .

It purposely favours the "army of choice" by gamers and greatly contradicts its own lore.

Since Gw concentrated on wealth over content the new bloods, gamers, have fed a boring machine of profitable turnover.

Ask any manager.

If games workshop cannot produce a new model to wow their consumers while satisfying power players then somethings a miss.

I've managed stores, spent thousands on forgeword alone, painted an actual complete army of iron warriors, converted vehicles and characters before that was taken away... I've played , read novels, been behind the scenes at Nottingham hq, and I fully see the hobby as crap. After 23 years I'm not looking back nor upset stopping playing. The figures are fantastic but the system is balls.

over a year ago

OK here's a thing ....

There is a bona fide Golden Demon winner on fab. Its not me, and no I'll not say who.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"I’m a ork warboss here WAAAAGHHH!"

I always wanted to play the Orks, I joined a mate who had an ork army. You have to have a sense of humour to play them though, as my mate was not lucky with his dice rolls and killed most of his army.

By *heMightySpud69Man
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"OK here's a thing ....

There is a bona fide Golden Demon winner on fab. Its not me, and no I'll not say who."

Holy shit, impressive!

over a year ago

North West

"Games Workshop produces possibly the worst gaming system. It's never balanced .

It purposely favours the "army of choice" by gamers and greatly contradicts its own lore.

Since Gw concentrated on wealth over content the new bloods, gamers, have fed a boring machine of profitable turnover.

Ask any manager.

If games workshop cannot produce a new model to wow their consumers while satisfying power players then somethings a miss.

I've managed stores, spent thousands on forgeword alone, painted an actual complete army of iron warriors, converted vehicles and characters before that was taken away... I've played , read novels, been behind the scenes at Nottingham hq, and I fully see the hobby as crap. After 23 years I'm not looking back nor upset stopping playing. The figures are fantastic but the system is balls."

*Other miniatures and table top gaming options are available...

over a year ago

Yeah I used to have loads and play as a young teenager. Think I collected everything at one point.

I haven't played or painted any models since then.

I still love the lore though and watch stuff on youtube quite a bit.

Plus I'm a sucker for any warhammer/40k game. Love Vermintide and the total war warhammer series. Looking forward to 3 and Darktide

over a year ago

Gaslands wargame!

Although I've never played it I've got into turning toy cars into Mad Max-style combat vehicles.

As a pistonhead just waiting to start building the real ones!!!

over a year ago

"Gaslands wargame!

Although I've never played it I've got into turning toy cars into Mad Max-style combat vehicles.

As a pistonhead just waiting to start building the real ones!!! "

This.

The best of all the tabletop games I have played

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"Games Workshop produces possibly the worst gaming system. It's never balanced .

Ask any manager.

I've managed stores, spent thousands on forgeword alone, painted an actual complete army of iron warriors, converted vehicles and characters before that was taken away... I've played , read novels, been behind the scenes at Nottingham hq, and I fully see the hobby as crap. After 23 years I'm not looking back nor upset stopping playing. The figures are fantastic but the system is balls.

*Other miniatures and table top gaming options are available..."

Quite.

GW has incredible pedigree and recognition but if you'd rather support smaller businesses there's a million alternatives out there x

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Ask any manager.

I've managed stores, spent thousands on forgeword alone, painted an actual complete army of iron warriors, converted vehicles and characters before that was taken away... I've played , read novels, been behind the scenes at Nottingham hq, and I fully see the hobby as crap. After 23 years I'm not looking back nor upset stopping playing. The figures are fantastic but the system is balls."

This is something I hear quite a lot and having come back to the hobby after a long break I do see a lot of difference in this way.

Having said that though, there are a few things to consider..

1. If GW didn’t make money, then there would be no more incredible miniatures produced by them… and as someone who was playing late 80’s originally I have to say the sculpts now are amazing in comparison

2. Not everyone is in the hobby to play… many people just enjoy building and painting

3. If GW release a new edition with new rules etc. that you and your friends don’t like, you’re under no obligation to actually use the new rules. You’ll still have your old rules there that you can use… nobody is forcing you

over a year ago

Ask any manager.

This is something I hear quite a lot and having come back to the hobby after a long break I do see a lot of difference in this way.

1. If GW didn’t make money, then there would be no more incredible miniatures produced by them… and as someone who was playing late 80’s originally I have to say the sculpts now are amazing in comparison

2. Not everyone is in the hobby to play… many people just enjoy building and painting

3. If GW release a new edition with new rules etc. that you and your friends don’t like, you’re under no obligation to actually use the new rules. You’ll still have your old rules there that you can use… nobody is forcing you "

There's a huge amount going on in the background with GW which is alienating a large section of their fan base. The Warhammer+ fiasco with the associated scandals, the above inflation price hikes, the NDA publicity. All in all GW are not looking like a very pleasant or indeed ethical organisation.

over a year ago

Guilty as charged… not played in a while but still have my collection

over a year ago

"Guilty as charged… not played in a while but still have my collection "

This. Mostly just enjoy keeping up with the lore these days.

over a year ago

Haven't played in about 15 years but still read a lot of the black library stuff especially the horus heresy series and the spin off primarch series. Was a chaos player for 40k and lizardmen in what was warhammer (think its called age of sigma now)

over a year ago

Not into it but funnily enough was in Harrogate last week first time in yrs seen a Warhammer shop thought was online only had a good browse around.

over a year ago

Ask any manager.

3. If GW release a new edition with new rules etc. that you and your friends don’t like, you’re under no obligation to actually use the new rules. You’ll still have your old rules there that you can use… nobody is forcing you

There's a huge amount going on in the background with GW which is alienating a large section of their fan base. The Warhammer+ fiasco with the associated scandals, the above inflation price hikes, the NDA publicity. All in all GW are not looking like a very pleasant or indeed ethical organisation."

Yeah the Warhammer+ is a bit annoying.

I really really enjoyed Astartes. Friends of mine who dont even like/have an interest in 40k thought it was great. One friend even got a few space marines to paint during lockdown because of it. It was a phenomenon on youtube with various channels doing reactions to it and it sprouted a few memes. All Free advertising for GW.

Then they go put it behind a pay wall which no one but the most ardent fans are going to paying for in the first place, even that's a stretch.

I'm sure I'm missing something but it seems like such a stupid move to pull it off YouTube.

over a year ago

Ask any manager.

There's a huge amount going on in the background with GW which is alienating a large section of their fan base. The Warhammer+ fiasco with the associated scandals, the above inflation price hikes, the NDA publicity. All in all GW are not looking like a very pleasant or indeed ethical organisation.

I really really enjoyed Astartes. Friends of mine who dont even like/have an interest in 40k thought it was great. One friend even got a few space marines to paint during lockdown because of it. It was a phenomenon on youtube with various channels doing reactions to it and it sprouted a few memes. All Free advertising for GW.

Then they go put it behind a pay wall which no one but the most ardent fans are going to paying for in the first place, even that's a stretch.

I'm sure I'm missing something but it seems like such a stupid move to pull it off YouTube.

"

They want to do the monetising

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Ask any manager.

"

Don’t forget though… they also gave several people creating fan animation actual full time jobs as animators, which is exactly what people were saying they should do after watching Astartes and Helsreach etc.

If they pulled a Disney they could have got the videos removed completely and sued the hell out of them

over a year ago

Ask any manager.

Don’t forget though… they also gave several people creating fan animation actual full time jobs as animators, which is exactly what people were saying they should do after watching Astartes and Helsreach etc.

If they pulled a Disney they could have got the videos removed completely and sued the hell out of them "

Yeah but have you seen the contracts and NDAs?

over a year ago

Hubby is a railway modeller so while different to Warhammer he paints his own things, quite therapeutic

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Ask any manager.

If they pulled a Disney they could have got the videos removed completely and sued the hell out of them

Yeah but have you seen the contracts and NDAs?"

The leaked one is a little iffy, but from what I understand it’s not particularly different to many similar types of NDA’s.

Ultimately GW are a company that are looking after their IP and trying to make money… just like every other creative company. They’re no different to Mattel, Hasbro, Disney etc.

over a year ago

Ask any manager.

Yeah but have you seen the contracts and NDAs?

The leaked one is a little iffy, but from what I understand it’s not particularly different to many similar types of NDA’s.

Ultimately GW are a company that are looking after their IP and trying to make money… just like every other creative company. They’re no different to Mattel, Hasbro, Disney etc."

Disney allow fan animations and stuff of star wars though. They even made loads of the sounds from the new movies available for people to use.

While what GW did is just piss people off. Especially with the loss of Text To Speech by Alphabusa

By *hrobinsonMan
over a year ago

Bridgnorth

"Hubby is a railway modeller so while different to Warhammer he paints his own things, quite therapeutic "

Railway modeller amd Warhammer fan here - the skills are very transferable and both hobbies give lots of much needed in-the-moment head space

over a year ago

"Hubby is a railway modeller so while different to Warhammer he paints his own things, quite therapeutic

Railway modeller amd Warhammer fan here - the skills are very transferable and both hobbies give lots of much needed in-the-moment head space "

It does you are right x

By *hrobinsonMan
over a year ago

Bridgnorth

"Hubby is a railway modeller so while different to Warhammer he paints his own things, quite therapeutic

Railway modeller amd Warhammer fan here - the skills are very transferable and both hobbies give lots of much needed in-the-moment head space

It does you are right x"

*resists urge to go off topic and ask what gauge he models...*

By *annia440Man
over a year ago

greater London

Yep definatly going to miss TTS, did anyone see the Horus heresy animation about the betrayal at calth?

By *ixi n DogCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I've only got one thing to say about this post..

"WAAAAAAAAAGH!"

By *antasticmrfucsMan
over a year ago

Penzance

"OK here's a thing ....

There is a bona fide Golden Demon winner on fab. Its not me, and no I'll not say who."

More than one

over a year ago

I work in a really high stress environment and find every aspect of the hobby really beneficial for my wellbeing

over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Did anyone get any Warhammer for Christmas?

over a year ago

It does you are right x

*resists urge to go off topic and ask what gauge he models...*"

OO x

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"Did anyone get any Warhammer for Christmas?"

not warhammer but i did get some napoleonic cavalry yay

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I have a friend and a nephew who are into it.

I’m up for building and painting things, but the game itself seems to be basically hitting each other with a rule book for hours on end.

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

"Did anyone get any Warhammer for Christmas?

not warhammer but i did get some napoleonic cavalry yay "

I got Spanish Infantry.

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"Did anyone get any Warhammer for Christmas?

not warhammer but i did get some napoleonic cavalry yay

I got Spanish Infantry. "

i have some nice spainyards from perry miniatures, infantry painted, artillery in the pile of shame

over a year ago

Not done anything of the like for more than 15 years. Bloodbowl was my big thing, though I now see that Heroquest has been re-issued by Avalon Hill so I may pick that up to introduce to my eldest son.

over a year ago

Pain is illusion of the senses

Fear an illusion of the mind

Beyond these only death waits as silent judge over all

over a year ago

Am addicted to the old plastic crack

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Am addicted to the old plastic crack"

It's not called that for nothing

over a year ago

Hubby does, though only the 40K, Heresy, Necromunda, and Titanicus settings. Massive unpainted backlog, no doubt typical.

As of late reflected on the overall cost and constant price rises so now looking into 3D printing. That should save a hell of a lot over time.

over a year ago

North West

"Hubby does, though only the 40K, Heresy, Necromunda, and Titanicus settings. Massive unpainted backlog, no doubt typical.

As of late reflected on the overall cost and constant price rises so now looking into 3D printing. That should save a hell of a lot over time."

I believe my FIL has acquired a 3D printer for this purpose....

over a year ago

"I believe my FIL has acquired a 3D printer for this purpose...."

You'd go weak at the knees for all the wrong reasons of you saw how much some of their models cost. "Forgeworld Warlord Titan" say no more.

over a year ago

North West

"I believe my FIL has acquired a 3D printer for this purpose....

You'd go weak at the knees for all the wrong reasons of you saw how much some of their models cost. "Forgeworld Warlord Titan" say no more."

I'm VERY aware of the cost of Warhammer stuff. I am married to a gaming geek

Post new Message to Thread