Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Career change

Jump to newest

By *orthern Stars OP   Couple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Have any of you had a total career change? Would you change your job if your employers were 'the best'?

I've been in the same line of work since I was 16 but feel stuck. I just can't see me wanting to do this for another 20 years, but wondering if it's sometimes a case of 'better the devil you know'. My employers treat me like family too which counts for such a lot, they are flexible with work hours, and it's only a 10 minute commute to work. All this makes me think I should stay where I am.....but......

I just feel I'm at a crossroads in life right now and a little 'lost'. Everything else in my life is great, and I'm very fortunate and lucky, but this work thing is really dragging me down and unsettling me.

Would be interested to hear from others.

Mrs

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Definitely I trained as a mechanic after a couple of yrs changed got bored been driving a lorry now for just over 20 yrs now looking at changing again after Christmas don't no what to but will be completely different again

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

If it’s unsettling you and dragging you down, you already have your answer. Sticking at something just because it’s easy doesn't always make things easy.

A change is definitely as good as a rest so maybe moving on will do you good.

You could always speak to your employers and explain the situation, say you’re not going to do a similar just somewhere else so it’s nothing they have done and see if they can keep a door open for you if you ever want to go back?

over a year ago

"Definitely I trained as a mechanic after a couple of yrs changed got bored been driving a lorry now for just over 20 yrs now looking at changing again after Christmas don't no what to but will be completely different again "

20 years is a long stint. Hope you find something you enjoy.

over a year ago

Oh I think change is good..

I’ve worked in a few fields over the years, got bored or circumstances changed & embarked on something new.

I quit my job & retrained last year.. love my new job.. kind of fell into it, it was a different aspect of the area i retrained in. Best decision I made!

I believe we should all look for growth in our careers otherwise it can get stale and you get bored.

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

I’d love a career change, but what else does a knackered 55 year old mh nurse do?

Answers on a postcard…

over a year ago

"If it’s unsettling you and dragging you down, you already have your answer. Sticking at something just because it’s easy doesn't always make things easy.

A change is definitely as good as a rest so maybe moving on will do you good.

You could always speak to your employers and explain the situation, say you’re not going to do a similar just somewhere else so it’s nothing they have done and see if they can keep a door open for you if you ever want to go back? "

I did have a chat back in July when I applied for some charity work. They were so understanding and told me they didn't want to loose me no matter what. That in a way makes it more difficult when I know I'm appreciated so much.

over a year ago

"Oh I think change is good..

I’ve worked in a few fields over the years, got bored or circumstances changed & embarked on something new.

I quit my job & retrained last year.. love my new job.. kind of fell into it, it was a different aspect of the area i retrained in. Best decision I made!

I believe we should all look for growth in our careers otherwise it can get stale and you get bored."

Ohhh that sounds like you've made a great change in your life there. Well done

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

Got to try or you’ll end up constantly wondering

over a year ago

"Got to try or you’ll end up constantly wondering "

That's what I'm thinking but worrying I could jump from the frying pan into the fire.

over a year ago

I've been in three totally different professions in my life, as a result from my various degrees; my first profession was a camera technician for ITV, before pursuing a career in teaching with I did for a few years, then finally pursuing with Nursing which became my true calling.

I'd say, never stop looking and searching.

over a year ago

Must admit I have been in construction for over 40 years, now thinking of dropping that and retraining as a personal trainer for some part time income

over a year ago

"I've been in three totally different professions in my life, as a result from my various degrees; my first profession was a camera technician for ITV, before pursuing a career in teaching with I did for a few years, then finally pursuing with Nursing which became my true calling.

I'd say, never stop looking and searching. "

True calling....those words have struck a chord with me. That's what I want.

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

I'm a welding foreman and have been a welder for 32yrs now and managed to get to the top of my trade both here and in Australia.

It holds no challenges for me anymore and tbh grinds my soul...

I've given great thought about totally changing my job but not sure exactly which direction to take, maybe train as a motorcycle instructor.

Someone once said if you choose a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life...

over a year ago

If you are waking up most days thinking I really couldn't be fucked then it probably is time to consider a change.

What type of work do you do atm? What type of things or situations interest you or are you passionate about ie working with people, working in an office, working on a site, travelling etc

All things to consider when trying to find a new type of career as you want it to go well & give you a bit of drive and passion back in what you do.

Consider all that before applying and unless you have a nest egg then apply before you quit so you aren't left stuck esp with rising cost of living atm

over a year ago

"Must admit I have been in construction for over 40 years, now thinking of dropping that and retraining as a personal trainer for some part time income "

It's making the change isn't it thats the tricky decision.

over a year ago

"I'm a welding foreman and have been a welder for 32yrs now and managed to get to the top of my trade both here and in Australia.

It holds no challenges for me anymore and tbh grinds my soul...

I've given great thought about totally changing my job but not sure exactly which direction to take, maybe train as a motorcycle instructor.

Someone once said if you choose a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life...

"

Yes!!! Your last sentence really hits home.

I do feel ground down with my current job too.

over a year ago

"Definitely I trained as a mechanic after a couple of yrs changed got bored been driving a lorry now for just over 20 yrs now looking at changing again after Christmas don't no what to but will be completely different again

20 years is a long stint. Hope you find something you enjoy."

thanks hoping to semi retire few days work for drinking money have youngest grandson few days so she can go back to work full time

over a year ago

I've tried making meaningful career changes but always can't due to "lack of experience" so I end up going from job to job every year or 2, occasionally applying for something good in the hope that no one experienced applies.

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Oh that is difficult especially given that I still haven't found something that I think I could do forever - mainly because I'm fidget probably

Maybe try and take some time to think about what it is in the day to day tasks in your job that you particularly do or don't like. Maybe it's something you could talk to your employers about also. Is there any way you could change things a bit to stop boredom etc?

over a year ago

"If you are waking up most days thinking I really couldn't be fucked then it probably is time to consider a change.

What type of work do you do atm? What type of things or situations interest you or are you passionate about ie working with people, working in an office, working on a site, travelling etc

All things to consider when trying to find a new type of career as you want it to go well & give you a bit of drive and passion back in what you do.

Consider all that before applying and unless you have a nest egg then apply before you quit so you aren't left stuck esp with rising cost of living atm "

Passion, exactly. I want a job that I feel passionate about and not just turning up and going through the motions.

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I worked in bars and restaurants for about 11 years after uni, and was eventually general manager of a large place in central Manchester amongst others, then swapped to working in business software for 13 years after retraining in IT and accounting, and was eventually an implementation project manager. Then moved to Italy and now work for myself managing holiday properties for people.

Ive never thought that what I do was at all important as long as I was ok at it and it paid the bills, I’ve never needed my work to mean anything of give any sense of satisfaction, so swapping careers was no big decision, it was just what fit that period of my life.

By *ampshire_guy40Man
over a year ago

hampshire

I changed my job last October to a total different career,I spent 12 years working in a sawmill (timber yard),I was unhappy,being bullied,name calling to my face etc,i now work for some of the nicest people I could possibly know

over a year ago

"Definitely I trained as a mechanic after a couple of yrs changed got bored been driving a lorry now for just over 20 yrs now looking at changing again after Christmas don't no what to but will be completely different again

20 years is a long stint. Hope you find something you enjoy. thanks hoping to semi retire few days work for drinking money have youngest grandson few days so she can go back to work full time "

Awwww being a grandparent must be one of the best 'jobs' in the world.

over a year ago

"I've tried making meaningful career changes but always can't due to "lack of experience" so I end up going from job to job every year or 2, occasionally applying for something good in the hope that no one experienced applies."

I've been in the same career since I was 16 and I've stayed in the same jobs for years. It's maybe just easier that way. I couldn't cope with changing jobs that often.

By *ewCoupleHXCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

"Have any of you had a total career change? Would you change your job if your employers were 'the best'?

I've been in the same line of work since I was 16 but feel stuck. I just can't see me wanting to do this for another 20 years, but wondering if it's sometimes a case of 'better the devil you know'. My employers treat me like family too which counts for such a lot, they are flexible with work hours, and it's only a 10 minute commute to work. All this makes me think I should stay where I am.....but......

I just feel I'm at a crossroads in life right now and a little 'lost'. Everything else in my life is great, and I'm very fortunate and lucky, but this work thing is really dragging me down and unsettling me.

Mrs

"

Well it certainly sounds like a place you enjoy and people you get along with, both are rare these days so totally get where your dilemma is coming from. Obviously there is no indication of your risk appetite here or what you can afford to lose so why not talk to your lovely employers and see if a change can be introduced in your current job or a new role with same people.

Many people quit their jobs to seek what you already have

over a year ago

20 years is a long stint. Hope you find something you enjoy. thanks hoping to semi retire few days work for drinking money have youngest grandson few days so she can go back to work full time

Awwww being a grandparent must be one of the best 'jobs' in the world."

definitely as you can hand them back haha

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

I did. Left a very stressful job to start my own business. Best thing I did

over a year ago

"Oh that is difficult especially given that I still haven't found something that I think I could do forever - mainly because I'm fidget probably

Maybe try and take some time to think about what it is in the day to day tasks in your job that you particularly do or don't like. Maybe it's something you could talk to your employers about also. Is there any way you could change things a bit to stop boredom etc? "

Its fairly limited as to what things could be changed, that's another problem. There isn't scope for much change.

over a year ago

"I worked in bars and restaurants for about 11 years after uni, and was eventually general manager of a large place in central Manchester amongst others, then swapped to working in business software for 13 years after retraining in IT and accounting, and was eventually an implementation project manager. Then moved to Italy and now work for myself managing holiday properties for people.

Ive never thought that what I do was at all important as long as I was ok at it and it paid the bills, I’ve never needed my work to mean anything of give any sense of satisfaction, so swapping careers was no big decision, it was just what fit that period of my life."

Oh wow, sounds like you see opportunities and go for them and arent afraid of change. Good on you

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I did completely at 30 , then got really cozy as a snr manager by 40 , job like yours I could do what I wanted, work from home, 30 min walk to work , flexible, highly paid , final salary pension, and gave it all up to do 200 mile round trip each day to work with a start up in Cambridge , then changed again 4 years ago to work globally and take a start up company public. Now I’m looking for a something new. You either want to easy life, routine and security or the fun and adventure, only you know.

over a year ago

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ” (Alvin Toffler)*

Many skills are transferable and business changes so quickly that often attitude experience and “The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ” ability to change count as much as particular background. So don’t be affraid to take a gamble if you have the itch.

It is often far to easy to ‘stay put’ because the firm is nice, and we feel valued. But it does not mean it is the best approach for career progressions…. Assuming that’s desired over a cushy number.

Best of luck with your decision and whatever future endeavour you find.

*Though it could also have been Albert Einstein

over a year ago

"Have any of you had a total career change? Would you change your job if your employers were 'the best'?

Mrs

Well it certainly sounds like a place you enjoy and people you get along with, both are rare these days so totally get where your dilemma is coming from. Obviously there is no indication of your risk appetite here or what you can afford to lose so why not talk to your lovely employers and see if a change can be introduced in your current job or a new role with same people.

Many people quit their jobs to seek what you already have "

Precisely. My current job has some valuable plus points, it's why I feel in turmoil with it. I keep thinking I should be grateful for what I have....but...

over a year ago

Oops sorry about the copy/paste error randomly in the middle of the post! Shame this forum is built on antique software!

over a year ago

"I changed my job last October to a total different career,I spent 12 years working in a sawmill (timber yard),I was unhappy,being bullied,name calling to my face etc,i now work for some of the nicest people I could possibly know "

So pleased you've moved onto something much better. You need to be happy at work don't you.

over a year ago

"I did completely at 30 , then got really cozy as a snr manager by 40 , job like yours I could do what I wanted, work from home, 30 min walk to work , flexible, highly paid , final salary pension, and gave it all up to do 200 mile round trip each day to work with a start up in Cambridge , then changed again 4 years ago to work globally and take a start up company public. Now I’m looking for a something new. You either want to easy life, routine and security or the fun and adventure, only you know."

But I don't know which I want, and I have other responsibilities and financial commitments in life, I just want to make the right decision. Aaaarghhh, it's not easy.

over a year ago

Difficult one, tbh if you've been there that long im sure they would understand ýou wanting to explore other Avenue's and maybe would welcome you back if it wasnt for you.

I changed careers to what i do now but i have the itch to change, i see a challenge in setting a business up then selling it.

i do afew things now at the side of my main career inc business restructuring/growth/promotion which up until recently has scratched that itch i have of career changing.

over a year ago

"“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ” (Alvin Toffler)*

Many skills are transferable and business changes so quickly that often attitude experience and “The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ” ability to change count as much as particular background. So don’t be affraid to take a gamble if you have the itch.

It is often far to easy to ‘stay put’ because the firm is nice, and we feel valued. But it does not mean it is the best approach for career progressions…. Assuming that’s desired over a cushy number.

Best of luck with your decision and whatever future endeavour you find.

*Though it could also have been Albert Einstein "

Thank you. Staying put is the easy option in one way, you're right. But I'm getting down with it and get the Monday blues on a Sunday morning.

over a year ago

"Oops sorry about the copy/paste error randomly in the middle of the post! Shame this forum is built on antique software! "

over a year ago

"I’d love a career change, but what else does a knackered 55 year old mh nurse do?

Answers on a postcard… "

Start a YouTube channel

Take your knowledge and react to injury in movies and such about how they would be able to walk or move and such

Build a fan base in you spare time

Think me in a year and hafe when you pack your job in an in joy the millions

over a year ago

"I’d love a career change, but what else does a knackered 55 year old mh nurse do?

Answers on a postcard… "

You're doing a very valuable job though. Be proud.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I did completely at 30 , then got really cozy as a snr manager by 40 , job like yours I could do what I wanted, work from home, 30 min walk to work , flexible, highly paid , final salary pension, and gave it all up to do 200 mile round trip each day to work with a start up in Cambridge , then changed again 4 years ago to work globally and take a start up company public. Now I’m looking for a something new. You either want to easy life, routine and security or the fun and adventure, only you know.

But I don't know which I want, and I have other responsibilities and financial commitments in life, I just want to make the right decision. Aaaarghhh, it's not easy."

I think you know! If you’re getting the Sunday feeling already how will you last another 20 years! The Sunday feeling means it really is time to move on. I wouldn’t worry about money, you are increasing your value when you move , wages generally rise the slowest the longer you stay in a role. Unless a company is offering you shares and dividends you’re just an employee , if they really value you they will give you stock and make your a director

over a year ago

"I did completely at 30 , then got really cozy as a snr manager by 40 , job like yours I could do what I wanted, work from home, 30 min walk to work , flexible, highly paid , final salary pension, and gave it all up to do 200 mile round trip each day to work with a start up in Cambridge , then changed again 4 years ago to work globally and take a start up company public. Now I’m looking for a something new. You either want to easy life, routine and security or the fun and adventure, only you know.

But I don't know which I want, and I have other responsibilities and financial commitments in life, I just want to make the right decision. Aaaarghhh, it's not easy.

I think you know! If you’re getting the Sunday feeling already how will you last another 20 years! The Sunday feeling means it really is time to move on. I wouldn’t worry about money, you are increasing your value when you move , wages generally rise the slowest the longer you stay in a role. Unless a company is offering you shares and dividends you’re just an employee , if they really value you they will give you stock and make your a director "

I'm not over bothered about money, I mean yes I need it but I would move jobs and take less money. I'm craving job satisfaction and I have a strong desire to help people, not something I'm getting in my current job.

I'm talking myself into moving jobs arent I.

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Mrs

"

You’re certainly not alone feeling that way. I’ve done nothing but IT all my working life, the last 18 years (nearly) self-employed; it started off fine but it just sucks the life out of me now.

I still deliver a quality service to my clients, I would do no less; but it feels like a little more of me dies every day, I’m just so tired of it all.

The catch being there is literally nothing else I can do with the experience I have which would meet my income requirements….and that’s not caviar and foie gras, it’s covering fixed outgoings and also avoiding a massively negative impact on my family.

over a year ago

I really need "that job", you know the one you could see yourself retiring. I am head of activities in a nursing home and with retirement ages going up and up, it's not the kind of job I could still be doing in my 60s, I mean I could but I think another 20 years doing it would suck the soul right out of me.

Don't get me wrong I love making my residents last year's better but until you do that kind of job, it's hard to imagine, it's not just sitting playing bingo all day.

Anyway, I digress lol. I'd love to find my "job" I just have to keep searching.

Good luck OP with whatever you decide.

Danish x

over a year ago

I have only worked for two large organisations, but within those two I have done seven very different roles, incorporating some progression through the rank structures. No job is perfect and they all have their crappy times, but I consider myself very lucky to have worn so many hats.

By *ampshire_guy40Man
over a year ago

hampshire

"I changed my job last October to a total different career,I spent 12 years working in a sawmill (timber yard),I was unhappy,being bullied,name calling to my face etc,i now work for some of the nicest people I could possibly know

So pleased you've moved onto something much better. You need to be happy at work don't you."

I really enjoy my job at the moment.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Reading your OP it sounds like you definitely need a change. Do you know what area you want to work in?

5 months ago I got a new job after 15 years with my previous employer, same industry but now work for an independent company. It was scary after being at my old place for so long but it was definitely worth it.

over a year ago

Yeah hugely so. Went from being an nhs nursing associate practioner to going back into education and now going to become a teacher of English.

Going back to education at 29 was scary but so worth it. I fucked up a levels and so all my education and experience is vocational but now going to uni with a clear plan is my focus.

You can do it.

over a year ago

Mrs

You’re certainly not alone feeling that way. I’ve done nothing but IT all my working life, the last 18 years (nearly) self-employed; it started off fine but it just sucks the life out of me now.

I still deliver a quality service to my clients, I would do no less; but it feels like a little more of me dies every day, I’m just so tired of it all.

The catch being there is literally nothing else I can do with the experience I have which would meet my income requirements….and that’s not caviar and foie gras, it’s covering fixed outgoings and also avoiding a massively negative impact on my family."

Pleased it's not just me. Sounds like you feel similar. This adult life malarkey is tough at times isn't it.

over a year ago

"I really need "that job", you know the one you could see yourself retiring. I am head of activities in a nursing home and with retirement ages going up and up, it's not the kind of job I could still be doing in my 60s, I mean I could but I think another 20 years doing it would suck the soul right out of me.

Don't get me wrong I love making my residents last year's better but until you do that kind of job, it's hard to imagine, it's not just sitting playing bingo all day.

Anyway, I digress lol. I'd love to find my "job" I just have to keep searching.

Good luck OP with whatever you decide.

Danish x"

Thank you. I know I can't do what I'm doing now for the next 20 years. That thought is incredibly daunting. Good luck in your searching too and hope you find what you're looking for.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I've changed career a few times. It's a great feeling and I've taken (unexpected) transferable skills and life experiences with me, which have stood me in very good stead with each move.

As long as you get to do something you love, and you're being true to yourself, it'll be an amazing step forward in your life.

C

over a year ago

"I have only worked for two large organisations, but within those two I have done seven very different roles, incorporating some progression through the rank structures. No job is perfect and they all have their crappy times, but I consider myself very lucky to have worn so many hats."

It sounds like you've been happy overall in your career. Keep on being happy.

By *oyRoy06Man
over a year ago

leighton buzzard

I think that if you're at the stage where you're asking yourself this question, it's worth at least exploring.

There's no harm in having a look at other lines of work and seeing what takes your fancy.

Do the research, understand what you may need to do to change careers ie. Upskill, gain qualifications etc

Once you've got all the info, you can make an informed choice as to what you want to change to and how to achieve it, or stick with the status quo

By *ich_ChesterMan
over a year ago

Chester

Mrs

"

I joined the Army at 16, did 24 years and had no idea what to do when i left, after a few stop gap jobs i fell into a role i love, been doing that now for 4 years. Follow your dream, if you don't you may regret it at a later date x

By *eddy004Man
over a year ago

Toy Town

I've been in three large organisations and had the chance of taking on new roles through promotions. I started with an engineering company, moved into banking and now with local government. Through these organisations though I've designed roads, railway platforms, shops, to debt collection, bank manager and onto lifeguard, swimming teacher, CCTV controller and now in environmental services and Monday I have an interview for a planning role.

I'd say life's too short not to consider other options. For me when life is a little stagnant, switch things up and make a change. Hey what's the worst that could happen?

Good look with whatever you decide.

over a year ago

"Yeah hugely so. Went from being an nhs nursing associate practioner to going back into education and now going to become a teacher of English.

Going back to education at 29 was scary but so worth it. I fucked up a levels and so all my education and experience is vocational but now going to uni with a clear plan is my focus.

You can do it. "

Well done to you. Sounds like you're really focused and ready for new challenges and facing them. Good luck in your uni course and in your future career.

over a year ago

"I've changed career a few times. It's a great feeling and I've taken (unexpected) transferable skills and life experiences with me, which have stood me in very good stead with each move.

As long as you get to do something you love, and you're being true to yourself, it'll be an amazing step forward in your life.

C"

Thank you. Finding something you love is key. Sounds like you've found yours.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I changed careers in April and it was definitely the right decision. The new job is challenging but really interesting.

I used to enjoy my previous job, but it had changed so much and there was so little support over Covid, I ended up hating it.

over a year ago

"As long as you get to do something you love, and you're being true to yourself, it'll be an amazing step forward in your life.

"

Find a job you hate and you'll work 24/7. Find a job you love and you'll never work again.

over a year ago

"I think that if you're at the stage where you're asking yourself this question, it's worth at least exploring.

There's no harm in having a look at other lines of work and seeing what takes your fancy.

Do the research, understand what you may need to do to change careers ie. Upskill, gain qualifications etc

Once you've got all the info, you can make an informed choice as to what you want to change to and how to achieve it, or stick with the status quo"

Thank you, you're right. That's what I'm currently doing, looking at different options.

over a year ago

"Reading your OP it sounds like you definitely need a change. Do you know what area you want to work in?

5 months ago I got a new job after 15 years with my previous employer, same industry but now work for an independent company. It was scary after being at my old place for so long but it was definitely worth it. "

I have a few ideas running through my mind.

Wow that must of been quite daunting for you but sounds like you've made the right choice

over a year ago

Mrs

I joined the Army at 16, did 24 years and had no idea what to do when i left, after a few stop gap jobs i fell into a role i love, been doing that now for 4 years. Follow your dream, if you don't you may regret it at a later date x"

How good that must be to be able to say you're doing a job you love. Ive never had that.

over a year ago

"I've been in three large organisations and had the chance of taking on new roles through promotions. I started with an engineering company, moved into banking and now with local government. Through these organisations though I've designed roads, railway platforms, shops, to debt collection, bank manager and onto lifeguard, swimming teacher, CCTV controller and now in environmental services and Monday I have an interview for a planning role.

I'd say life's too short not to consider other options. For me when life is a little stagnant, switch things up and make a change. Hey what's the worst that could happen?

Good look with whatever you decide."

You've been motivated in your career and adventurous and sounds like it's paid off.

The worst that can happen is I move jobs and end up unhappy somewhere else, working for bosses who are arseholes, and not have the plus points that I have now.

over a year ago

"I changed careers in April and it was definitely the right decision. The new job is challenging but really interesting.

I used to enjoy my previous job, but it had changed so much and there was so little support over Covid, I ended up hating it. "

That's great news about your new job. Sounds like you definitely made the right choice. Hope you continue to enjoy your job well into the future.

over a year ago

"As long as you get to do something you love, and you're being true to yourself, it'll be an amazing step forward in your life.

Find a job you hate and you'll work 24/7. Find a job you love and you'll never work again."

This! I want this!!

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Find a job you hate and you'll work 24/7. Find a job you love and you'll never work again.

This! I want this!! "

When you find this can you point me in the right direction too please

By *oyRoy06Man
over a year ago

leighton buzzard

"I think that if you're at the stage where you're asking yourself this question, it's worth at least exploring.

Once you've got all the info, you can make an informed choice as to what you want to change to and how to achieve it, or stick with the status quo

Thank you, you're right. That's what I'm currently doing, looking at different options. "

over a year ago

This! I want this!!

When you find this can you point me in the right direction too please "

Isn't it a great thought. I hope one day you find it

over a year ago

Thank you everyone for all your valuable comments on here. I'm going to look for a new job. I think I'll be sending myself on a rollercoaster ride but what will be will be be, everything in life happens for a reason.

I have tried to respond to you all individually on here,apologies if I've missed anyone.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Yep I am in one now, I will graduate next year and start my new career in the summer, health limitations mean change for me

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Answers on a postcard… "

Open a record shop .

I’m knackered too - I’ll do shifts in it. You won’t sell any records, but customers will love the rambling drivel .

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

I read a very interesting article that stated that people in a job where they enforce petty regulations tend to be the most sexually dysfunctional, traffic wardens being the most classic example.

If I could have a career change, and become a sex therapist, then next time I have dealings with some petty officials, or soft cocks in suits getting off on their duties as an enforcement officers because, they can't get it up during the relaxing hours, I could beg the question, "Are you having erection problems, or ejaculation problems? If so I may be able to help." Then I could offer them my card for they, and their partners to contact me if they would like my help. I could then argue in front of a judge that I was genuinely trying to help them, whilst promoting my business at the same time, and not behaving abusivly, or attempting humiliation in any way. It could be a very interesting legal argument, if some Wee Willy Shrinkie not best pleased over the fact that I thought that he was worse than useless in the sack, decided to make an issue of it.

over a year ago

Answers on a postcard…

Open a record shop .

I’m knackered too - I’ll do shifts in it. You won’t sell any records, but customers will love the rambling drivel . "

That's actually a brilliant idea! Stealth counselling. People chat, get advice, buy some records, leave feeling great.

over a year ago

"Thank you everyone for all your valuable comments on here. I'm going to look for a new job. I think I'll be sending myself on a rollercoaster ride but what will be will be be, everything in life happens for a reason.

I have tried to respond to you all individually on here,apologies if I've missed anyone."

Good luck.

Maybe finding the job of your dreams will give you the push to move on. Or if you can't find a dream job, you will find ways to appreciate your current job.

over a year ago

I haven't read the whole thread....

Maybe courses can steer you into something different - then you can decide if you stay or go after completing those.....

All the best

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I've been in three large organisations and had the chance of taking on new roles through promotions. I started with an engineering company, moved into banking and now with local government. Through these organisations though I've designed roads, railway platforms, shops, to debt collection, bank manager and onto lifeguard, swimming teacher, CCTV controller and now in environmental services and Monday I have an interview for a planning role.

Good look with whatever you decide.

You've been motivated in your career and adventurous and sounds like it's paid off.

The worst that can happen is I move jobs and end up unhappy somewhere else, working for bosses who are arseholes, and not have the plus points that I have now."

You often find your level of influence , ability to change and reform things is much higher when you are new in a company and it declines over time as the culture reforms you. An interview is a great time to address this and tell a prospective employer exactly what you want and expect. My last job I was pretty clear from the initial conversations I wanted 50% work from home and 50% in Africa and I wanted my team relocating to Dubai within 12 months and they agreed without question. Trying to agree this now a few years in would be impossible, HR would have a fit !

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’ll be honest, it sounds like you’ve got something really good that you won’t find in another job very easily

If your looking to change job because your bored, don’t do it. The excitement of a new job will wear off quick amd all the benefits you’ve lost will soon hit you

If you have a passion you want to chase, go for it.

over a year ago

"Yeah hugely so. Went from being an nhs nursing associate practioner to going back into education and now going to become a teacher of English.

You can do it.

Well done to you. Sounds like you're really focused and ready for new challenges and facing them. Good luck in your uni course and in your future career."

Thank you so much. Only taken me a lifetime to get there. I hope you find some focus and decide what to do for you for the best too. Best of luck.

By *aggy dollsCouple
over a year ago

Bradford

Mrs

Tread carefully, I've recently done the career change thing and it hasn't gone well, I'm currently in the market for the next challenge

"

Mr Hayes.

over a year ago

Mrs

"

NO!! Go and find a new devil. I’m in a similar situation and looking for the new thing. Hate it where I am and it affects everything and makes me so miserable snd empty. Be happy cause that’s all there really is.

over a year ago

Me well I’m finding out what I want to do next phase.

But I was military from 18 to 31 then I became a private military contractor/ bodyguard until

This year at 45. Now I loved my job and I’ve worked in some very exotic places. But it’s a young mans game and I’ve had a good run. So on to pastures new. I’d love something that I can still Travel with or at least take those skills with me, ideally outdoors or a mixture at least.

over a year ago

"Me well I’m finding out what I want to do next phase.

But I was military from 18 to 31 then I became a private military contractor/ bodyguard until

This year at 45. Now I loved my job and I’ve worked in some very exotic places. But it’s a young mans game and I’ve had a good run. So on to pastures new. I’d love something that I can still Travel with or at least take those skills with me, ideally outdoors or a mixture at least.

"

I see you on a travel show. Something between Alan Wicker and Bear Grylls

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I have no idea what I want to do.

I love and loathe my job equally but the thought of another 30 years of it makes me need a nap the thought is so exhausting!

I'm constantly struggling for money, but at the same time genuine care for those I work alongside.

I worry about loads of things when it comes to a new career. Will I be any good at it?

Will it meet financial needs or leave me in the same battle I'm in now?

Will I enjoy it?

Will I be appreciated or taken for granted?

What if I get made redundant? At least now I get a few grand redundancy whereas a new job I won't have built that cushion up yet.

What if I get long term sick? I get 3 months full pay sick coz I've been with my place an age, again, a cushion I won't have somewhere new.

The list goes on.

over a year ago

"I have no idea what I want to do.

I love and loathe my job equally but the thought of another 30 years of it makes me need a nap the thought is so exhausting!

I'm constantly struggling for money, but at the same time genuine care for those I work alongside.

I worry about loads of things when it comes to a new career. Will I be any good at it?

Will I enjoy it?

What if I get made redundant? At least now I get a few grand redundancy whereas a new job I won't have built that cushion up yet.

What if I get long term sick? I get 3 months full pay sick coz I've been with my place an age, again, a cushion I won't have somewhere new.

The list goes on."

I’ll get the kettle on….

over a year ago

I see you on a travel show. Something between Alan Wicker and Bear Grylls"

Haha I’m

Not sucking the fluid from a tree frog though

By *cunnylassCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

I'm semi-retired now and have a rewarding and comfortable life.This wasn't always the case though because I chose to stay in jobs which I didn't enjoy at all.I chose to stay in them because I wouldn't make the necessary effort to find something else.I had plenty of ability but not enough ambition to change things.

Mike

over a year ago

I see you on a travel show. Something between Alan Wicker and Bear Grylls

Haha I’m

Not sucking the fluid from a tree frog though "

Alan wicker never did that, surely???

By *irthandgirthMan
over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

Next week is my last working week in the military.. 22 years.

I'm shitting myself tbh. New challenges ahead. Losing that comfort blanket of security and familiarity is a big thing.

over a year ago

"Thank you everyone for all your valuable comments on here. I'm going to look for a new job. I think I'll be sending myself on a rollercoaster ride but what will be will be be, everything in life happens for a reason.

I have tried to respond to you all individually on here,apologies if I've missed anyone."

Before you leave employers that you like, investigate whether there is a different role you could do, but still with them. If not, then by all means consider a change.

over a year ago

Will I enjoy it?

The list goes on."

What makes you happy? What do you like to do for fun? Is there scope for employment in either field?

I have always needed an element of fun in my roles and put job satisfaction over progression. Most of my development has been sideways, shunning the politics and arse crawling bollocks required for advancement.

If you are doing something that's an area of interest for you, you are more likely to enjoy it and succeed.

Job security is always a tricky one but in reality few jobs are secure these days, and what you think you have may be a barrier to finding something better. If made redundant a few grand won't last long.

All employees are taken for granted and likely under appreciated at times. You are a commodity and can be replaced. The question is are you enjoying what you are doing? If you are then what does it matter if anyone else notices?

over a year ago

Will I enjoy it?

The list goes on."

Google National careers service skills assessment.

I found it useful for 'thinking outside the box'.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Will I enjoy it?

The list goes on.

What makes you happy? What do you like to do for fun? Is there scope for employment in either field?

I have always needed an element of fun in my roles and put job satisfaction over progression. Most of my development has been sideways, shunning the politics and arse crawling bollocks required for advancement.

If you are doing something that's an area of interest for you, you are more likely to enjoy it and succeed.

Job security is always a tricky one but in reality few jobs are secure these days, and what you think you have may be a barrier to finding something better. If made redundant a few grand won't last long.

All employees are taken for granted and likely under appreciated at times. You are a commodity and can be replaced. The question is are you enjoying what you are doing? If you are then what does it matter if anyone else notices?

"

I’ve always thought of myself as a paid volunteer, I choose to work for the companies that excite me and offer an interesting adventure, they just happen to pay me too. Yes I’m a commodity and can be replaced , but so are they.

Regardless of who you work for and what you do, be an expert, be the best, have high standards, be a great colleague and team member , learn and develop constantly , learn from mistakes , do the politics/strategic stuff because you have to a little, manage upwards, and you’ll never struggle for good high paid work

By *ich_ChesterMan
over a year ago

Chester

Mrs

I joined the Army at 16, did 24 years and had no idea what to do when i left, after a few stop gap jobs i fell into a role i love, been doing that now for 4 years. Follow your dream, if you don't you may regret it at a later date x

How good that must be to be able to say you're doing a job you love. Ive never had that."

I do, the satisfaction i get is great, helping others hopefully moving on from various backgrounds is why i love it.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Answers on a postcard… "

Wife is about to join the bank in a prison as a RMN

By *orkcouple81Couple
over a year ago

west

I did a total change in job. I was stuck and very unhappy where I worked but it was income and worked around family ok, until covid and managements attitude was ye get paid ye be in front line while they hid in office etc.. Childminder was no longer available so I "took step back" to mind kids while himself, who earns good wage went to work. I rethought alot of stuff and decide to do an admin course, which ended up being doing online. Passed it with great grads and then applied for load of jobs.. Applied for 1 which I though never a chance of even interview. I got the job and now I'm dental nursing. Still pinch myself from time to time on how did I get here. It was hard work but I am delighted I did it and encourage anyone to do it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.. Love my job..

By *urious couple22Couple
over a year ago

Derby

I'm actually retraining for a new career my suggestion is think long and hard and maybe see if there is any progresson within said company I made my decision due to moving around in my profession I've been promoted but just have lost the enjoyment I now dread to come into work. but just remember the grass isn't always greener but if your not happy I'd definitely just jump at it..

over a year ago

Thank you everyone for all your comments and advice. I appreciate it.

I need a job where I don't get the Monday blues like I do now.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I did change my career. And generally I do like my job, it's never boring and I don't hate it like I hated my previous work.

However I still get the Sunday blues.

I have come to the realisation that I just don't like work!!!

over a year ago

"I did change my career. And generally I do like my job, it's never boring and I don't hate it like I hated my previous work.

I have come to the realisation that I just don't like work!!! "

lottery win needed then

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I did change my career. And generally I do like my job, it's never boring and I don't hate it like I hated my previous work.

I have come to the realisation that I just don't like work!!!

lottery win needed then"

It could be me!!

over a year ago

"Thank you everyone for all your comments and advice. I appreciate it.

I need a job where I don't get the Monday blues like I do now."

I solved that. I don't work on a Monday..

over a year ago

I need a job where I don't get the Monday blues like I do now."

Unless your job makes you utterly miserable or you need to change for financial reasons , you're probably best staying where you are. The grass is rarely greener

over a year ago

Unless your job makes you utterly miserable or you need to change for financial reasons , you're probably best staying where you are. The grass is rarely greener "

But if my job is impacting my life too much when I'm not at work then I need to change something. It's affecting my whole mood when I'm not even at work.

over a year ago

Unless your job makes you utterly miserable or you need to change for financial reasons , you're probably best staying where you are. The grass is rarely greener

But if my job is impacting my life too much when I'm not at work then I need to change something. It's affecting my whole mood when I'm not even at work."

Oh...I thought from your opening post you were just a wee bit bored with it

over a year ago

But if my job is impacting my life too much when I'm not at work then I need to change something. It's affecting my whole mood when I'm not even at work.

Oh...I thought from your opening post you were just a wee bit bored with it "

Nope unfortunately not just boredom. I need a career change I think, but it's just so convenient where I am and fits in with my busy life.

over a year ago

Thank you for all your advice via this thread and private messages. After much deliberation, sleepless nights and even tears I decided not to go for the job. Shift work just won't fit it with my life at all. My heart has sunk but I've had to go with my head for this decision. Staying where I am for now.

By *ausage1970Man
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

20 years I've been my own boss I now mentor those who want to do the same

over a year ago

"Thank you for all your advice via this thread and private messages. After much deliberation, sleepless nights and even tears I decided not to go for the job. Shift work just won't fit it with my life at all. My heart has sunk but I've had to go with my head for this decision. Staying where I am for now."

I’m sure something else will come along soon enough that will be a better fit. All the best

By *atriciayoiditTV/TS
over a year ago

hatfield

Mrs

"

stay where you are..none of us are in control of our destiny..sometimes we have to just wait it out...its called the lap of the gods...

over a year ago

Is there room for growth in your current workplace? Can you take on additional responsibility?

Why not chat with your boss, perhaps they are considering expansion, or have some development opportunities that you could do?

over a year ago

Law to writing

over a year ago

"Thank you for all your advice via this thread and private messages. After much deliberation, sleepless nights and even tears I decided not to go for the job. Shift work just won't fit it with my life at all. My heart has sunk but I've had to go with my head for this decision. Staying where I am for now.

I’m sure something else will come along soon enough that will be a better fit. All the best "

Thank you.

over a year ago

Mrs

stay where you are..none of us are in control of our destiny..sometimes we have to just wait it out...its called the lap of the gods..."

Indeed. Everything in life happens for a reason.

over a year ago

"Is there room for growth in your current workplace? Can you take on additional responsibility?

Why not chat with your boss, perhaps they are considering expansion, or have some development opportunities that you could do? "

Unfortunately there aren't. It's a very small business. I shall keep plodding on.

By *herubchubWoman
over a year ago

Nr the sea

Any opportunity to diversify and learn a new skill in the company you work for??

By *herubchubWoman
over a year ago

Nr the sea

"Any opportunity to diversify and learn a new skill in the company you work for?? "

Whoops just seen the above!!!!! Sorry! xx

over a year ago

"Any opportunity to diversify and learn a new skill in the company you work for??

Whoops just seen the above!!!!! Sorry! xx"

It's ok. Thank you anyway.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Is there room for growth in your current workplace? Can you take on additional responsibility?

Why not chat with your boss, perhaps they are considering expansion, or have some development opportunities that you could do?

Unfortunately there aren't. It's a very small business. I shall keep plodding on."

My advice?

Keep your eyes open and if you spot something you fancy, go for it. You can always change your mind and not accept if offered it.

I'd been sort of looking for a while before I applied for this job.

It was equal amounts scary and exciting embarking on something different after over 15 years in the same job. Especially as it meant starting a degree after 30 years out of education.

I hope that I still enjoy it as much in 10/20 years as I do now, az I'm planning on it seeing me to retirement.

over a year ago

Unfortunately there aren't. It's a very small business. I shall keep plodding on."

How about carving out a community role or diversity role? Working with a charity maybe ?

over a year ago

Unfortunately there aren't. It's a very small business. I shall keep plodding on.

My advice?

Keep your eyes open and if you spot something you fancy, go for it. You can always change your mind and not accept if offered it.

I'd been sort of looking for a while before I applied for this job.

It was equal amounts scary and exciting embarking on something different after over 15 years in the same job. Especially as it meant starting a degree after 30 years out of education.

I hope that I still enjoy it as much in 10/20 years as I do now, az I'm planning on it seeing me to retirement."

That must be a great feeling to be really enjoying your work. Good luck with it all, sounds like your heart is in so I'm sure you'll do brilliant.

over a year ago

I’ve thought about it too, I have done the same job for years but do like it, it’s easy work and good pay for what it is. However I’ve decided next year I’m going to do an online course, assignments etc around my current job, get a placement somewhere to train up then decide what to do afterwards once qualified.

Think everyone has these thoughts at some point in their lives.

over a year ago

I done a complete 180 with my career change last February. Went from building/fabricating rally/rally cross cars to holiday sales. Don’t regret it at all and found something I really enjoy (sales). Became a manager within 6 months and haven’t looked back.

I’d say initially it’s so difficult to take that leap or make that decision. What seems comfortable has a massive pull because of how people are in general because your mind always wants to stay comfortable if you know what I mean? Like it took a huge catalyst to push me over the edge and make the decision because it’s the same as with relationships… you will always think of the good times/things more than the bad

over a year ago

Been there, done that.

Went from working in a reasonably decent paid job in a warehouse for the clothing line of a supermarket to going into care work.

I did health and social care at college, but never followed it up as discovered “a quick buck” doing “untrained” work. Put a lot of work into it and tried to develop my career in it but realised I was going nowhere, so began to become depressed, which was with followed work related stress and anxiety.

While off on the sick I saw a job for a community carer. Had a long conversation with my (now ex) wife as we had a young son. She agreed I was miserable and despite the large pay cut encouraged me to go for it. Better poorer but happy than comfortable and miserable.

It was hard no doubt but this ended up with me going back to college and the uni to my do my degree in Nursing.

It was hard as fuck. 70 hour weeks care in the community, virtually living out of your car is bull shit, but it was worth it!

It’s not for everyone but I know I made the right decision.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I am blessed to love what I do and to be very good at it, so I've not considered a change of profession.

I have moved around a lot though, tried to experience a wide variety of roles in a variety of industries.

I love the sense of unlimited possibility I have when I'm job hunting - nothing is completely off the table so I can afford to be incredibly picky and find something interesting, where the idea of it fills me with joy.

I don't know the sort of work you do OP, or how easy it would be to find a similar role in a different company that you could then use to move into a different field in that new company, but we spend too much of our lives at work to stay somewhere that makes us miserable.

If you find something else and it turns out to also make you miserable then find another something else. Don't give up on finding a job you're glad to go to each day

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I'm 53 been working in building trade since 15 and would love to change career but absolutely no idea what a 53 year old man who is dyslexic and has no qualifications other than my trade one's.

I had covid last year and it's fucked me physically and mentally I can't see me being able to work much longer in a physical job such as this.

By *icknmix500Man
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

Go for it Bonny Lass xx Durham lad

I know how you feel but go for it and good Luck !

over a year ago

"I'm 53 been working in building trade since 15 and would love to change career but absolutely no idea what a 53 year old man who is dyslexic and has no qualifications other than my trade one's.

I had covid last year and it's fucked me physically and mentally I can't see me being able to work much longer in a physical job such as this."

Have a think about what you might fancy doing.

The world is your oyster, and it’s never too late to retrain!

One thing I used to hate in warehousing is the “I hate this job, it’s shit” moan and mentality. I used to tell those people in that case go something else, which was met by “I can’t there’s no good jobs out there. They’re all shit.”

The jobs are there you have to look for them. Just those people weren’t willing to look and give up the job they had. (I’m not saying this is you btw.)

Expand your horizons. The world is full of opportunities for those willing to take the chance! There is a national employment crisis in this country right now after all!

over a year ago

Is there an interest you have?

A passion even..

I'd say try and pursue that in a self-employed capacity, start part-time, or whatever time you have to spare.

It will be like a seed, the more you water it the more it grows..

The feeling of being your own boss is also like nothing else.

By *ewfie02Couple
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"Oh I think change is good..

I believe we should all look for growth in our careers otherwise it can get stale and you get bored."

Worked in a few fields? Sounds like you are a farmer.

By *nfin8yWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

Answers on a postcard… "

I became a clinical coder

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

On my third/fourth change, as I’ve gone back to what i did when i started, following COVID related redundancy around the time I was thinking it was time to change jobs.

New job (well more the company) is fairly shite, but being stuck without a job, during a pandemic and with significant experience- but from 20 years ago I’m just looking at this as a stepping stone to what I’m really interested in.

Sounds like you’re in the wrong role with the right employer- might be worth having a good open chat with them to see if they have any roles you might be able to move to over the next 6-12 months that will work out for both sides as finding a decent company is a lottery win in itself

over a year ago

If it's not a fuck yes then it's a fuck no. Life is too short to be bumbling along in something that doesn't make you happy.

By *an de LyonMan
over a year ago

welling

I stayed at the same place for 15 years because I knew the job inside out, got slightly above average pay for my role, had little bonuses and was promised the earth. I stayed, then my boss sold the company without a second thought for me. Never let anyone else hold the keys to your career (I have since changed career, industry, everything and wish I had done it years before)

over a year ago

I think we should switch the jobs after 3 years. Short term plans can lead u towards ur goals. But i will suggest never wait for the end of 3 years, always work hard nd find ur way to success

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

Well I've seen a job I really fancy so I'm applying for it. Part time to suit my other business, 40 minute commute at the most and a job where I feel I will be able to help people.

I imagine there will be so many applying though but I stand no chance if I don't apply.

over a year ago

"Well I've seen a job I really fancy so I'm applying for it. Part time to suit my other business, 40 minute commute at the most and a job where I feel I will be able to help people.

I imagine there will be so many applying though but I stand no chance if I don't apply."

Nothing venture nothing gained. Good luck and all the best with your application .

over a year ago

I started off training to be an equity advisor, did it for a few years then just knew I wanted to be a chef, so went quit moved countries and went to uni, studied for 5 years worked for 3 then brought my own restaurant, sold up and then moved to Norway where I now manage and chef for a small hotel, and just check back on the previous business as needed, the moral of my story is it is never to late, and also sometimes you may take a few years stepping back, but could end up with a giant leap forward! Good luck in whatever you decide! X

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

"I started off training to be an equity advisor, did it for a few years then just knew I wanted to be a chef, so went quit moved countries and went to uni, studied for 5 years worked for 3 then brought my own restaurant, sold up and then moved to Norway where I now manage and chef for a small hotel, and just check back on the previous business as needed, the moral of my story is it is never to late, and also sometimes you may take a few years stepping back, but could end up with a giant leap forward! Good luck in whatever you decide! X"

That's a great success story. Well done, you must be so proud

over a year ago

"I'm 53 been working in building trade since 15 and would love to change career but absolutely no idea what a 53 year old man who is dyslexic and has no qualifications other than my trade one's.

I had covid last year and it's fucked me physically and mentally I can't see me being able to work much longer in a physical job such as this."

it may be work seeking out a senior role, site management, or even an estimater or finishing manager of some kind? You would know the majority of those roles anyway

By *onkeynutWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

I left my career. A job with huge security, a fantastic pension and amazing colleagues.

I retrained and set up my own business. THE best decision ever. I no longer leave for work wondering if I am going to make it home on time or at all. I was mentally and physically at breaking point despite loving many aspects of my job.

The weight that lifted from my shoulders was immense.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I’ve had several career changes, but self employment has been the best

And I’ve had varied businesses too.

over a year ago

Started a new job in travel last November. Great time as its getting back on its feet again and we're busy!

I've gone from running my own retail busines to briefly working in social care to now looking after the lucky ones getting away from all this grey sky.

PNG x

over a year ago

Thank you, it’s been rough at times, with we had an alcohol restriction here, so that didn’t help greatly, but always a positive we got to renovate a little and just get back ahead for the summer

over a year ago

Hello everyone.

Thank you for all your comments, I'd forgotten I had started this thread until now.

I'm still on the job hunt as I'm only looking at jobs that really jump out at me.

I've seen a job that really interests me but it's going from part time to full time. Has anyone made that leap at my age? I think I should be working less but need a lottery win to do that

over a year ago

"Hello everyone.

Thank you for all your comments, I'd forgotten I had started this thread until now.

I'm still on the job hunt as I'm only looking at jobs that really jump out at me.

I've seen a job that really interests me but it's going from part time to full time. Has anyone made that leap at my age? I think I should be working less but need a lottery win to do that "

How part time is part time?

You're a young un!

I know a few women at work who have gone full time again after part time (20 hours+ a week). It was tough at first but ok.

Depends on the kids age it seems. The ones with younger kids struggled. Older kids 11+ were better off for having to do things for themselves. So win win.

By *ornado69Man
over a year ago

Princess Risborough

I would like to change my career to being a stunt cock in a porn movie

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Hello everyone.

I've seen a job that really interests me but it's going from part time to full time. Has anyone made that leap at my age? I think I should be working less but need a lottery win to do that "

I changed jobs around 10 months ago. I was doing 20, gone up to 35 so almost full time. To be honest I did find it tough in the beginning. My housework has been a bit neglected and I can't pick the kids up from school anymore.

over a year ago

"I would like to change my career to being a stunt cock in a porn movie"

Good luck with that one

over a year ago

I was working for Tesco. I survived 14 years, it wasn't a bad job, I was always on the go and there was some degree of satisfaction. But sadly the day management, I was night shift, decided my work on the backdoor wasnt good enough and didn't like that I argued with him. Decided to replace me with a yes man. Didn't even think to speak to me about it and he dispatched me to the shopfloor. (Bizarrely all these jobs that needed doing when I was on my own was suddenly getting done by the day shift).

Needless to say I handed in my notice and now work for the NHS and I love the job, even if I do get paid less. The management are practically useless, and won't say boo to a goose but as long as we get the job done they don't really care.

Sometimes you just have to go for it, at the very least it's a new experience. You might even find your calling...

over a year ago

"I was working for Tesco. I survived 14 years, it wasn't a bad job, I was always on the go and there was some degree of satisfaction. But sadly the day management, I was night shift, decided my work on the backdoor wasnt good enough and didn't like that I argued with him. Decided to replace me with a yes man. Didn't even think to speak to me about it and he dispatched me to the shopfloor. (Bizarrely all these jobs that needed doing when I was on my own was suddenly getting done by the day shift).

Needless to say I handed in my notice and now work for the NHS and I love the job, even if I do get paid less. The management are practically useless, and won't say boo to a goose but as long as we get the job done they don't really care.

Sometimes you just have to go for it, at the very least it's a new experience. You might even find your calling..."

So great to hear that things worked out well for you in the end. You're very right in what you say, sometimes you just have to make the move. Things in life happen for a reason.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Is it an age thing OP? I know you get to say, my age, and you know you're not getting any more promotions. You're seen as the sage who knows everything, and should now be passing it on. Yeah, I get that, but, I've worked in the same industry for 34 years, I am well paid, good pension....it's a lot to throw away

over a year ago

You're never too old for a new career. Life is too short do what makes you happy

over a year ago

"Is it an age thing OP? I know you get to say, my age, and you know you're not getting any more promotions. You're seen as the sage who knows everything, and should now be passing it on. Yeah, I get that, but, I've worked in the same industry for 34 years, I am well paid, good pension....it's a lot to throw away "

No it's not an age thing at all. For me it's about job satisfaction and being happy in my job. I will keep searching for a job that really excites me.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Is it an age thing OP? I know you get to say, my age, and you know you're not getting any more promotions. You're seen as the sage who knows everything, and should now be passing it on. Yeah, I get that, but, I've worked in the same industry for 34 years, I am well paid, good pension....it's a lot to throw away

No it's not an age thing at all. For me it's about job satisfaction and being happy in my job. I will keep searching for a job that really excites me."

I'm lucky in that respect. I run a small team of 20/30 year old. They're all incredibly talented and they look after me. They also take me out and get me wildly d*unk, so that I dance on tables x

over a year ago

"Is it an age thing OP? I know you get to say, my age, and you know you're not getting any more promotions. You're seen as the sage who knows everything, and should now be passing it on. Yeah, I get that, but, I've worked in the same industry for 34 years, I am well paid, good pension....it's a lot to throw away

No it's not an age thing at all. For me it's about job satisfaction and being happy in my job. I will keep searching for a job that really excites me.

I'm lucky in that respect. I run a small team of 20/30 year old. They're all incredibly talented and they look after me. They also take me out and get me wildly d*unk, so that I dance on tables x"

Sounds brilliant

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"They also take me out and get me wildly d*unk, so that I dance on tables x"

Noted

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"They also take me out and get me wildly d*unk, so that I dance on tables x

Noted "

The last time was my birthday. My hips hurt for days x

over a year ago

You spend half your life working so if you have the choice and are able to make the change that might make you happy. The grass might not always be greener but you end up wondering if it would have been if you don’t change.

I’m lucky enough that I’m in brand marketing and I love what I do as a profession, but I had worked on hair and beauty brands for my whole career, and the biggest leap was jumping to an emotional wellness brand…totally different and out of my comfort zone (before that I was adamant I would only ever work on hair and beauty brands), but I’m glad I moved and it’s the best decision I’ve made in my career.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Did you change job yet? Monday blues mean you’re done, if you stay you’ll always regret what you never at least tried.

I just got to Dubai Sunday ahead of tax year end to look for a property here , I have 21 days initially to decide, so if I stay , Im staying at least one tax year & have 91 days max at home. If I come back after 21 I will just find a different job. I don’t want to regret not checking it out at least. It’s a fun adventure , mixed with a bit of scary !

over a year ago

"You spend half your life working so if you have the choice and are able to make the change that might make you happy. The grass might not always be greener but you end up wondering if it would have been if you don’t change.

I’m lucky enough that I’m in brand marketing and I love what I do as a profession, but I had worked on hair and beauty brands for my whole career, and the biggest leap was jumping to an emotional wellness brand…totally different and out of my comfort zone (before that I was adamant I would only ever work on hair and beauty brands), but I’m glad I moved and it’s the best decision I’ve made in my career."

So pleased it's worked out for you, I like a success story.

over a year ago

"Did you change job yet? Monday blues mean you’re done, if you stay you’ll always regret what you never at least tried.

I just got to Dubai Sunday ahead of tax year end to look for a property here , I have 21 days initially to decide, so if I stay , Im staying at least one tax year & have 91 days max at home. If I come back after 21 I will just find a different job. I don’t want to regret not checking it out at least. It’s a fun adventure , mixed with a bit of scary !"

I'm still searchings I want a job that excites me and is right for me. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire just for the sake of it. I do need to make the move as I start with Monday blues on a Sunday afternoon which isn't good.

By *.woodyMan
over a year ago

coleraine

Was a joiner for 26 years and loved it. Woke up one morning and thought I need a change. Walked out on a secure job on great money and started working as a manger in a hotel all within a week. 4 months later and I am loving it. No regrets. You don't know untill you give it a go.

over a year ago

Thanks. All I’d say is try and make the jump if doing so doesn’t put you in serious difficulty. Unfortunately changing careers isn’t a realistic option for everyone financially, so if it is open for you then you should take the opportunity to and not think on 5, 10 or 15 years “what if”.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Did you change job yet? Monday blues mean you’re done, if you stay you’ll always regret what you never at least tried.

I just got to Dubai Sunday ahead of tax year end to look for a property here , I have 21 days initially to decide, so if I stay , Im staying at least one tax year & have 91 days max at home. If I come back after 21 I will just find a different job. I don’t want to regret not checking it out at least. It’s a fun adventure , mixed with a bit of scary !

I'm still searchings I want a job that excites me and is right for me. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire just for the sake of it. I do need to make the move as I start with Monday blues on a Sunday afternoon which isn't good."

I sometimes get Sunday excitement! Eager to get back into the projects!

Often it’s not about the job/role itself (mine is dull) but the company, vision and leadership that excites. I would literally do any job my company asked me to it’s like a global

family , even this - considering living in a soulless desert city for a year or two away from my friends and family because they need me here. Find a company that inspires you and the rest is easy

over a year ago

I'm still searchings I want a job that excites me and is right for me. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire just for the sake of it. I do need to make the move as I start with Monday blues on a Sunday afternoon which isn't good.

I sometimes get Sunday excitement! Eager to get back into the projects!

Often it’s not about the job/role itself (mine is dull) but the company, vision and leadership that excites. I would literally do any job my company asked me to it’s like a global

family , even this - considering living in a soulless desert city for a year or two away from my friends and family because they need me here. Find a company that inspires you and the rest is easy

"

Sunday excitement, that must be a great feeling. I can't even imagine having that much excitement about a job.

Post new Message to Thread