Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Incognito advice please

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Any tekkies here?

So the other day I was at my friend's house with a few mates just chilling, using her WiFi as you do. I was on fab, but using incognito to not somehow have it show up on her WiFi.

Anyway, I've since heard that incognito doesn't stop the wi-fi owner checking every website visited via the router, if they so wished. Is this true?

Now I very much doubt my friend has the technical ability to do this, but it occurrs to me that I've used lots of wi-fi's to check fab over the years, assuming that it was hidden due to incognito mode, including my parents' - eek!

Does anyone know how secure this is? Is it actually hidden? If not, I'll be a bit more careful in future!

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Unless they have a very advanced home network it’s unlikely they are keeping traffic logs. A work network would be a different ball game

over a year ago

And on a public network, the amount of traffic generated would more than likely impossible to find unless they had a specific reason to look at your traffic

over a year ago

"And on a public network, the amount of traffic generated would more than likely impossible to find unless they had a specific reason to look at your traffic"

I was thinking more specifically about private ones, particularly my dad's as he works in IT so I'm wondering if he could see the sites I've visited when I stay at his, by searching on his router somehow? I really don't want him seeing what I view

over a year ago

"And on a public network, the amount of traffic generated would more than likely impossible to find unless they had a specific reason to look at your traffic

I was thinking more specifically about private ones, particularly my dad's as he works in IT so I'm wondering if he could see the sites I've visited when I stay at his, by searching on his router somehow? I really don't want him seeing what I view "

If it’s a standard home router, it’s extremely unlikely to have that sort of logging ability! Usually would require additional hardware

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Yes it's possible. Academic sites do it all the time, it's how they can monitor communications from anything connected to their WiFi. You can get around it with a VPN though, as it encrypts all the traffic from your device.

LvM

over a year ago

I would suggest not using WiFi for fab next time

over a year ago

"Yes it's possible. Academic sites do it all the time, it's how they can monitor communications from anything connected to their WiFi. You can get around it with a VPN though, as it encrypts all the traffic from your device.

LvM"

If only i knew what that was

over a year ago

"I would suggest not using WiFi for fab next time "

I recognise that bulge... Hello stranger

over a year ago

"Yes it's possible. Academic sites do it all the time, it's how they can monitor communications from anything connected to their WiFi. You can get around it with a VPN though, as it encrypts all the traffic from your device.

LvM

If only i knew what that was "

It's a website or a phone app that runs in the background and encrypts everything you search online. There are some free ones you can download but they usually have a time limit per day

over a year ago

"Unless they have a very advanced home network it’s unlikely they are keeping traffic logs. A work network would be a different ball game"

I know someone who does this. They can check what sites people have been on when they use his wifi.

By *arol321Woman
over a year ago

Poole

Just switch off wi-fi in future when you’re on fab and use your mobile data instead.

over a year ago

"Just switch off wi-fi in future when you’re on fab and use your mobile data instead. "

Yeah I will do, I just hadn't realised it wasn't hidden!

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

LvM

If only i knew what that was "

They're apps or programs you run on your phone/ computer. They just run in the background and the idea is they encrypt any data that comes in to or goes out of your device.

There's some free ones that have a daily data limit, and the better ones are paid apps. I've been using one for years just because

LvM

By *rwakundaMan
over a year ago

london

If you’ve got an iPhone .. the latest update iOS 15 was a major security overhaul. You can actually turn on a function whereby you are connecting to a site via 3rd party - what do they call it - IP address. So it’s not traceable to you via your data of wifi provider.

over a year ago

"Unless they have a very advanced home network it’s unlikely they are keeping traffic logs. A work network would be a different ball game

I know someone who does this. They can check what sites people have been on when they use his wifi. "

Oh no doubt! I’d imagine it is quite rare but certainly possible

Post new Message to Thread