Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

In 10 trillion years

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The lights are going to go out Brian Cox does an interesting but mournful programme. Our earth, crafted as one expression of nature. The age of darkness beckons (in a few trillion years or so) No more suns

I do love a space programme.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I love programmes on space it’s fascinating!

over a year ago

"The lights are going to go out Brian Cox does an interesting but mournful programme. Our earth, crafted as one expression of nature. The age of darkness beckons (in a few trillion years or so) No more suns

I do love a space programme. "

I'll pop it in the diary.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

I doubt very much planet earth will be here in 10 trillion years.

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

Nooooooo

over a year ago

That was good ??

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

There's something oddly romantic about the heat death theory for me. No idea why...

LvM

over a year ago

Baby when the lights go out.

Sure it wasn’t FIVE trillion?

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

"There's something oddly romantic about the heat death theory for me. No idea why...

LvM"

Soooo hypothetically if I was to set us both on fire, I could get lucky?

over a year ago

Lincoln

"There's something oddly romantic about the heat death theory for me. No idea why...

LvM

Soooo hypothetically if I was to set us both on fire, I could get lucky? "

Sticking us both in a freezer would be closer to the science but I like the enthusiasm

LvM

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

LvM"

For me it gives the lie to ideas like purpose and free will. If we realised these are emergent phenomenon, not a part of a universe that just doesn't care we may be kinder to each other and less dogmatic about our own realities.

Op, deffo gonna look out for this. Thank you.

Mr

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

LvM

Soooo hypothetically if I was to set us both on fire, I could get lucky?

Sticking us both in a freezer would be closer to the science but I like the enthusiasm

LvM"

If it’s the freezer you want, then it’s the freezer you’ll get

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I doubt very much planet earth will be here in 10 trillion years."

Correct, it won’t. There’s about 5 billion years or so before the Sun’s hydrogen begins to run out and it expands into a red giant. It’s estimated Earth gets swallowed up in that and even if it didn’t, it’d be burnt and irradiated to a crisp given its new proximity to the Sun.

over a year ago

"I doubt very much planet earth will be here in 10 trillion years.

Correct, it won’t. There’s about 5 billion years or so before the Sun’s hydrogen begins to run out and it expands into a red giant. It’s estimated Earth gets swallowed up in that and even if it didn’t, it’d be burnt and irradiated to a crisp given its new proximity to the Sun."

In your face Cox.

over a year ago

Swansea

I've not seen the program but 10 trillion years sounds like the heat death of the universe not the death of planet earth.

Mr

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

So climate isn't really in our control then? I've already put my fingers in my ears

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I doubt very much planet earth will be here in 10 trillion years.

Correct, it won’t. There’s about 5 billion years or so before the Sun’s hydrogen begins to run out and it expands into a red giant. It’s estimated Earth gets swallowed up in that and even if it didn’t, it’d be burnt and irradiated to a crisp given its new proximity to the Sun.

In your face Cox. "

Hahaha! Coxy is still correct, but he’s on about something else based on OP’s description ….possibly maximum entropy or heat death.

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I've not seen the program but 10 trillion years sounds like the heat death of the universe not the death of planet earth.

Mr"

Not seen it either but yep, that’s more like it for that time period

over a year ago

Yes the death of all the suns that ever were or ever will be. Its goung to be a slow burning red one as the last ever. Scientific names already allude me, the programme finished about 30 mins ago and it is a saturday, my braun cells are fading faster than the light. So it will be a romantic pinkish glow to see the lights out. Just imagine though. Utter darkness for the rest of forever? Something else must be due to come along surely.

over a year ago

Swansea

"So climate isn't really in our control then? I've already put my fingers in my ears "

Well, it is something we can influence in the short term (and by short term I'm taking longer than humans have existed). In the long term there's not a lot we can do to stop the sun fissioning all its hydrogen into helium.

Mr

over a year ago

Swansea

"Yes the death of all the suns that ever were or ever will be. Its goung to be a slow burning red one as the last ever. Scientific names already allude me, the programme finished about 30 mins ago and it is a saturday, my braun cells are fading faster than the light. So it will be a romantic pinkish glow to see the lights out. Just imagine though. Utter darkness for the rest of forever? Something else must be due to come along surely. "

When maximum entropy is reached there is no time. Time only exists for us as a measure of change of entropy. Trying to imagine a forever that has no time is like trying to imagine the expansion of the universe actually creating space, that there is no empty space for it to expand into. Just as there was no time before it started and after it ends.

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

over a year ago

"Yes the death of all the suns that ever were or ever will be. Its goung to be a slow burning red one as the last ever. Scientific names already allude me, the programme finished about 30 mins ago and it is a saturday, my braun cells are fading faster than the light. So it will be a romantic pinkish glow to see the lights out. Just imagine though. Utter darkness for the rest of forever? Something else must be due to come along surely.

When maximum entropy is reached there is no time. Time only exists for us as a measure of change of entropy. Trying to imagine a forever that has no time is like trying to imagine the expansion of the universe actually creating space, that there is no empty space for it to expand into. Just as there was no time before it started and after it ends.

Makes my head hurt.

Mr"

It needs something to come along and squeeze it all back in together, stop it expanding and heat it all back up again. I wont accept the forever! The universe not your head.

over a year ago

Lincoln

"Yes the death of all the suns that ever were or ever will be. Its goung to be a slow burning red one as the last ever. Scientific names already allude me, the programme finished about 30 mins ago and it is a saturday, my braun cells are fading faster than the light. So it will be a romantic pinkish glow to see the lights out. Just imagine though. Utter darkness for the rest of forever? Something else must be due to come along surely.

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

It needs something to come along and squeeze it all back in together, stop it expanding and heat it all back up again. I wont accept the forever! The universe not your head. "

Well that is one of the other theories: a Big Crush. Where everything collapses back in again, possibly creating another Big Bang etc etc

LvM

over a year ago

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

It needs something to come along and squeeze it all back in together, stop it expanding and heat it all back up again. I wont accept the forever! The universe not your head.

Well that is one of the other theories: a Big Crush. Where everything collapses back in again, possibly creating another Big Bang etc etc

LvM"

I hope so. I will have to read up on this it is endlessly fascinating.

over a year ago

Was going to watch the show but with such a massive spoiler no point now

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM"

Now that's interesting. So it's possible that we are part of a 2nd or 3rd big bang

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Pfft.....David Gates sang about this years ago.

"Then one by one the stars would all go out,

Then you and I would simply fly away"

over a year ago

Just put another pound in the meter

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM

Now that's interesting. So it's possible that we are part of a 2nd or 3rd big bang "

It could potentially be any number if the cycle is truly repetitive.

over a year ago

Lincoln

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM

Now that's interesting. So it's possible that we are part of a 2nd or 3rd big bang "

In theory.. or the three million, two hundred and eighty thousandth

LvM

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

This is the kind of chit-chat Mr KC and I have whilst sitting on the sofa

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM

Now that's interesting. So it's possible that we are part of a 2nd or 3rd big bang

LvM"

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes

over a year ago

Swansea

"This is the kind of chit-chat Mr KC and I have whilst sitting on the sofa "

This is the kind if chit chat I have *at* her ladyship. She shakes her head at me and calls me a geek (in a loving way)

Mr

over a year ago

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM

LvM

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes "

Will we have to start from scratch or will we already have i-pads

over a year ago

Maybe we should find a way to travel across universes before that

over a year ago

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM

LvM

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes

Will we have to start from scratch or will we already have i-pads "

We will have to be bog slime all over again

over a year ago

Makes my head hurt.

Mr

LvM

LvM"

This has made me infinitely more cheerful. Wonder what is at the 'edge' then that causes the push back to the big crush.

over a year ago

"So climate isn't really in our control then? I've already put my fingers in my ears "

Nope, never was, never will be. The effect that man has on climate change, in cosmic terms, is fuck all.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"This is the kind of chit-chat Mr KC and I have whilst sitting on the sofa

This is the kind if chit chat I have *at* her ladyship. She shakes her head at me and calls me a geek (in a loving way)

Mr"

I'll be honest, we talk about weird shit here

Post new Message to Thread