By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

[Removed by poster at 29/10/21 18:15:28]

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

It was Abraham Darby who developed the smelting of pig iron with a higher yield of strength by using a special local coal which burned at greater temperatures in nearby Coalbrookdale that allowed the construction of the worlds first bridge made from iron to be constructed.

He is the father of the industrial revolution.

The name of the town Ironbridge comes from this...

By *asmeen OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"It was Abraham Darby who developed the smelting of pig iron with a higher yield of strength by using a special local coal which burned at greater temperatures in nearby Coalbrookdale that allowed the construction of the worlds first bridge made from iron to be constructed.

The name of the town Ironbridge comes from this..."

Yeahhhh xx

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Was ironbridge the bloke in the wheelchair?

By *odgerNbadgerCouple
over a year ago

Chepstow

This needs a trigger warning. So. Many. School. Trips.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

They built a newer road bridge by The Robin Hood pub, so i don't have to drive the long way round

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Was ironbridge the bloke in the wheelchair? "

That was Ironside sweetheart

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

To answer the question posed by the OP if anybody fancies a shag while icing a version of how to save a life by The Fray for dramatic effect please feel free to message me thank you doing my public service duty!

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"To answer the question posed by the OP if anybody fancies a shag while icing a version of how to save a life by The Fray for dramatic effect please feel free to message me thank you doing my public service duty!"

Or I sing!!! More entertaining if im icing!!!

over a year ago

Ironbridge is on the telly now.

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"To answer the question posed by the OP if anybody fancies a shag while icing a version of how to save a life by The Fray for dramatic effect please feel free to message me thank you doing my public service duty!

Or I sing!!! More entertaining if im icing!!!"

I Appear to have posted my last two comments on completely the wrong thread! I’m going for a lie down

By *asmeen OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Ironbridge is on the telly now."

Yep

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"It was Abraham Darby who developed the smelting of pig iron with a higher yield of strength by using a special local coal which burned at greater temperatures in nearby Coalbrookdale that allowed the construction of the worlds first bridge made from iron to be constructed.

Just higher yield strength (no of). It is a measure of the force the metal will hold in tension before the deformation it experiences becomes permanent. You can bend a paperclip a small amount and when you let go it springs back to its original shape this is elastic deformation. Once you apply more force the metal "yields" - it gives way and bends or stretches and stays that way after the force has been removed and called plastic deformation. The bridge is made from cast iron which is very weak in tension (has a low yield strength) but incredibly strong in compression hence its arch design. This allows to load to be transfered to ground either side by compressing the arch much the same as the Romans discovered could be done with stone, another very brittle material.

Mr

over a year ago

Iron bridge is just down the road from me, and I’ve never been there

over a year ago

Love Ironbridge, it is such a pretty place and the Gorge museum is lovely.

So lucky to have it on my doorstep

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Iron bridge is just down the road from me, and I’ve never been there"

Theres a hell of a good pub crawl starting from the museum end, until you cross over to the Woodbridge and go back down the other side- something like 16 pubs, many of them with a view of the river and gorge

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

To answer the OP, it ushered in an era when first iron and then steel became increasingly important for construction and much else as constructions like these showed its extreme versatility. Within a short space of time the limitations of cast iron were being solved with industrial scale steel making processes. The knowledge explosion at this time allowed for more and more mac_ines to be invented using this iron and steel and powered by coal that enabled the manufacture and transport of far more goods than could have ever been produced by craft means. This in turn created an explosion in wealth, jobs and commodities with the inevitable explosion in population.

This was coupled with new economic ideas that led to the world we know now where governments can borrow and pay off their debt by printing more money based on the assumption that populations will grow causing the economy to grow so the value of the money they printed remains. Its a giant Ponzi scheme that relies on more and more people buying more and more stuff and using more and more resources. We pretend to be green in this country as we've got rid of coal mines and most of the steel plants and manufacturing but the way it works is still the same, we've just exported our growth to China and elsewhere.

Iron Bridge is a symbol that something created with great human ingenuity to make life better for a few leads to a trail of events that makes a great deal a lot worse for many

Mr

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Although around the same time Boulton and Watt were already building steam engines, industrialisation had already begun the first Mills had been built and people were moving from rural areas to the growing industrialised towns. Abraham Derby merely improved the process for manufacturing iron, which already had a history of hundreds of years. The techniques used to build the Bridge were historic carpenters methods really, and The Gorge was already an industrial base due to its nearby iron ore and coal deposits and its strategic position on the River Severn which was a major transit route at the time...

BTW I recall that Darby used not coal for smelting.

Opposite the Bridge was an old coaching Inn, The Tontine, on the outside wall was marked every major flood water level dating back to before the bridge was erected in 1779...

There were many fathers of the industrial revolution.

I rather miss standing on Ironbridge and watching coracles on the river...

By *ineMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/10/21 22:38:59]

By *ineMan
over a year ago

Apparently if I try to type c oke not coal it just gets deleted. Wtf!

Post new Message to Thread