Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

BBC Trans Article

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

An article published by the BBC on Tuesday has attracted 16000 complaints. It reported that transfolk can be a danger to cisgender lesbians. Tom stayed clear of this as he did not want to court controversy. But 16000 a lot of complaints. Was it a fair and balanced article?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Jim is glad that Tom doesn't want to court controversy.

over a year ago

I’ve seen a lot of the non binary folk from DRUK (drag race uk) have spoken up.

My opinion is this. Trans folk are no more a risk to me than cis folk. People are the issue not gender.

over a year ago

"An article published by the BBC on Tuesday has attracted 16000 complaints. It reported that transfolk can be a danger to cisgender lesbians. Tom stayed clear of this as he did not want to court controversy. But 16000 a lot of complaints. Was it a fair and balanced article?"

Some of the examples it uses aren't even of transgender people being a danger to or being pushy with cis lesbians, they're examples of other cis lesbians being pushy with each other. It's absolute waffle and the BBC should know it's dangerous to publish things like that, especially in an era where a lot of people don't read beyond the headline.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Well done Tom.

Well done.

I shall read that article.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Well done Tom.

Well done.

I shall read that article. "

And the BBC response to it ..

Why well done Granny

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Well done Tom.

Well done.

I shall read that article.

And the BBC response to it ..

Why well done Granny "

Commendable restraint Tom ..... commendable restraint.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

It was an awful, transphobic piece.

Trans people are not a threat.

What's happening currently in a lot of the media is exactly what happened to gay people in the past - portraying them as dangerous or perverted.

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

It's not like ofcom is going to investigate or fine them

over a year ago

And this is why labelling people (genders, sexualities, religions, colours, etc) shouldn't happen! It's human....HUMAN!

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"And this is why labelling people (genders, sexualities, religions, colours, etc) shouldn't happen! It's human....HUMAN! "

If you were witness to a crime and you had to describe the perpetrator without using such labels?

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

"And this is why labelling people (genders, sexualities, religions, colours, etc) shouldn't happen! It's human....HUMAN!

If you were witness to a crime and you had to describe the perpetrator without using such labels?"

I had something stolen and the perp was short bald and couldn't even stand up.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

My view... Let people of all sexualities, religion and gender live their lives in peace..

It could be your son, your daughter or your parent ..

over a year ago

"It was an awful, transphobic piece.

What's happening currently in a lot of the media is exactly what happened to gay people in the past - portraying them as dangerous or perverted. "

Does that mean no article can be written about anybody of a minority who is capable of bad behaviour? The article said "some trans women pressure lesbians for sex". That isn't the same as saying all trans people are dangerous or perverted. What about the lesbians in the article who had been abused? Do any of them get your support or sympathy?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

What's happening currently in a lot of the media is exactly what happened to gay people in the past - portraying them as dangerous or perverted.

Does that mean no article can be written about anybody of a minority who is capable of bad behaviour? The article said "some trans women pressure lesbians for sex". That isn't the same as saying all trans people are dangerous or perverted. What about the lesbians in the article who had been abused? Do any of them get your support or sympathy? "

It's a difficult one

By *evonshireboyMan
over a year ago

North Devon

"

Some trans people are a threat, same as some of the rest of the world's population.

To group trans people together as a special case and claim they are incapable of performing the negative actions of other members of the public is surely discriminatory

over a year ago

Is transfolk a new word? Have I been missing something??!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Is transfolk a new word? Have I been missing something??! "

Yes you have

over a year ago

"An article published by the BBC on Tuesday has attracted 16000 complaints. It reported that transfolk can be a danger to cisgender lesbians. Tom stayed clear of this as he did not want to court controversy. But 16000 a lot of complaints. Was it a fair and balanced article?"

Their opinions don't matter.

They're "only" lesbians.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Splitters!

over a year ago

To be precise, there weren't 16,000 complaints. 16,000 ostensibly signed an open letter calling for the BBC to apologise for the article. I say ostensibly because some of the signatures are open to challenge (Basil Brush, Heil Hitler are examples) and many are outside the UK. The letter is linked from here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59074096

By *pertureTV/TS
over a year ago

New Ferry, wirral in stockings and sussies

the bbc is a fake news channel, lost all its credibility

Post new Message to Thread