Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Facebook or Meta

Jump to newest

By *partharmony OP   Couple
over a year ago

Ruislip

So Facebook is changing its name to Meta. Like this if us who remember Opal Fruits and Marathons in earlier days, we will be able to say we remember when Meta was called Facebook.

Do you like the new name? Do you think it will catch on? Or do you think the name Facebook is so ubiquitous it will go the way of Cosignia, which changed its name Bach to Royal Mail after people ridiculed it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They've only renamed the parent company. The brand names will remain the same.

By *ittleMissSexy2017Couple
over a year ago

Kent

Facebook the company is changing its name not Facebook the platform

By *partharmony OP   Couple
over a year ago

Ruislip

"They've only renamed the parent company. The brand names will remain the same. "

Ah, the dangers of not reading something carefully.

By *ittleMissSexy2017Couple
over a year ago

Kent

Still meta seems like very dystopian name like cyberdyne, omnicorp or the matrix

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"So Facebook is changing its name to Meta. Like this if us who remember Opal Fruits and Marathons in earlier days, we will be able to say we remember when Meta was called Facebook.

Do you like the new name? Do you think it will catch on? Or do you think the name Facebook is so ubiquitous it will go the way of Cosignia, which changed its name Bach to Royal Mail after people ridiculed it? "

“changed its name Bach to Royal Mail”

I like that you have a Handel on your spelling.

Spot the musician in the room

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"They've only renamed the parent company. The brand names will remain the same. "

I think it's something about US competition law. Seems to me to be a bandaid over a bullet hole.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Like rebranding Windscale.

over a year ago

"They've only renamed the parent company. The brand names will remain the same.

Ah, the dangers of not reading something carefully. "

But your point in the OP still stands.

They are changing the company name because they want to be seen differently. Facebook has a bad reputation at the moment for various reasons. But people will always see it as Facebook.

I still look for Opal Fruits.

over a year ago

Meta sounds so odd.

over a year ago

The youth will tell you only 'old people' use facebook now...i will just let that sink in...

Its a social disease that i hope dies off sooner rather than later

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

Facebook will go the way of MySpace soon, lots of people are dropping off it or barely using it now. I was 24 when I joined it and at the time it was great catching up with people from school I hadn't seen in nearly a decade and laughing at everyone's d*unk night out posts and pictures, and of course doing a bit of sharking but then we got older and everyone started posting dull updates about decorating or their kids, or spouting political opinions all the time, and the Facebook police started sanitising the banter while it became all about targeting its users for advertising. I know younger people don't really use it now as they prefer TikTok and the like.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I see the clever team at Aldi have already put out a Facebook post saying they are now "Beta"

over a year ago

Where's the pun in that?

over a year ago

"Facebook will go the way of MySpace soon, lots of people are dropping off it or barely using it now. I was 24 when I joined it and at the time it was great catching up with people from school I hadn't seen in nearly a decade and laughing at everyone's d*unk night out posts and pictures, and of course doing a bit of sharking but then we got older and everyone started posting dull updates about decorating or their kids, or spouting political opinions all the time, and the Facebook police started sanitising the banter while it became all about targeting its users for advertising. I know younger people don't really use it now as they prefer TikTok and the like."

It has nearly 3 BILLION users. Facebook is not going to die!

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

"Facebook will go the way of MySpace soon, lots of people are dropping off it or barely using it now. I was 24 when I joined it and at the time it was great catching up with people from school I hadn't seen in nearly a decade and laughing at everyone's d*unk night out posts and pictures, and of course doing a bit of sharking but then we got older and everyone started posting dull updates about decorating or their kids, or spouting political opinions all the time, and the Facebook police started sanitising the banter while it became all about targeting its users for advertising. I know younger people don't really use it now as they prefer TikTok and the like.

It has nearly 3 BILLION users. Facebook is not going to die! "

How many of them are active users though? I've got over 500 friends on there and it's mainly the same dozen or so that post anything, the rest have only updated it a couple of times this year if that, and quite a few have deactivated their profiles too. It won't completely die but I'd say it peaked some years ago and will become more and more irrelevant.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I saw the release video yesterday. If you google "Facebook's Employee Enrolment Video" you'll see a bunch of nobs swinging their arms around and rapping in long sleeve t-shirts wearing VR headsets.

You are then given a short video of a version of minecraft v's Southpark it looks both surreal and sad as fuck considering adults are supposed to be using this.

As far as the name - dystopian maybe but it's a give away of exactly what facebook has been looking at/manipulating all this time = Meta data. Scary they are so blunt.

over a year ago

"Facebook will go the way of MySpace soon, lots of people are dropping off it or barely using it now. I was 24 when I joined it and at the time it was great catching up with people from school I hadn't seen in nearly a decade and laughing at everyone's d*unk night out posts and pictures, and of course doing a bit of sharking but then we got older and everyone started posting dull updates about decorating or their kids, or spouting political opinions all the time, and the Facebook police started sanitising the banter while it became all about targeting its users for advertising. I know younger people don't really use it now as they prefer TikTok and the like.

It has nearly 3 BILLION users. Facebook is not going to die!

How many of them are active users though? I've got over 500 friends on there and it's mainly the same dozen or so that post anything, the rest have only updated it a couple of times this year if that, and quite a few have deactivated their profiles too. It won't completely die but I'd say it peaked some years ago and will become more and more irrelevant."

1.6 billion are daily active users. Groups are where the action is now. And it's a primary platform for millions of businesses. I use it daily but only update once in a blue moon. The use has changed, that doesn't mean it's dying. Far from it.

over a year ago

You know I read they were going to change their name. And it’s gone ahead so I see, and I still don’t give a shite…it has zero impact to my life.

Post new Message to Thread