Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Spiking drinks?

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I get that it’s not of my generation but can there really be guys that go out in the evening intending to spike a drink?

Could it be an increase of people ‘pre loading ‘ on drink and trying drugs before going out, then looking for an excuse when it goes wrong?

Before you hammer me, I just can’t comprehend why anyone would spike a drink.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

To coherse people to get them to do anything and not remember anything.

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

Definitely is. Happened to me a good few years ago. Luckily mates got me home.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The injecting with a needle is something else for the younger ones to worry about now.

I'm having to give chapter and verse to my Daughter and friends

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I get that it’s not of my generation but can there really be guys that go out in the evening intending to spike a drink?

Could it be an increase of people ‘pre loading ‘ on drink and trying drugs before going out, then looking for an excuse when it goes wrong?

Before you hammer me, I just can’t comprehend why anyone would spike a drink."

You do know that assault is a thing - both sexual and none sexual right?

People do this so why is itso hard

to comprehend that spiking a drink happens? It in itself potentially makes further assault even more possible and easier in some situations.

Actual spiking of drinks is nothing new, I'm 37 years old and this was a thing that we were warned about as early as high school. It's not a new concept or craze that has started up recently.

Do I believe that some (some!) people (yes people) will use the spiked excuse to cover their own regrets the night before? Yes I do, because I know of and have been told of people that have done that very thing.

But it is very much a real thing that happens also, to real people in real situations to put them in an even more vulnerable state to be preyed upon. Or at the very least some sick fuck is doing it for a laugh.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I get that it’s not of my generation but can there really be guys that go out in the evening intending to spike a drink?

Any number of reasons as to why someone would want to spike someone else’s drink. Reasons best not trying to understand as inherently there’s issues with the individual that does it.

Pre-loading on drinks or drugs is the choice of an individual, still doesn’t mean they deserve to have their drinks done over or end up in hospital crying their eyes out because it happened to them.

over a year ago

Someone gave me a piece of advice not that long ago and it stuck with me although very simple. 'Not everyone thinks like you'

You're obviously a good dude who's morals won't allow such horrid things to happen. It's hard to imagine that a person wouldn't have those basic feelings to adhere to innit?

I guess there will be some people who have used it as an excuse like you say.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

To take advantage of that person when they then become vulnerable. How hard is that to understand?

Assault, r*pe, rob... So many reasons

over a year ago

spiking has been happening for decades but this new situation is even more frightening because I can cover my drink and not leave it unattended but I can't stop someone coming up to me with a needle unless I stay in.

By *ittleMissSexy2017Couple
over a year ago

Kent

I….and this is male half was definitely spiked at uni, thankfully nothing bad happened. It’s not like anything I’ve ever experienced I remember having two beers and then next thing waking up to hammering on my door and a senior student checking in on me and telling me how ill I was the night before I’ve never felt that kind of out of it before or since.

Last month a female friend was as well, sadly it does not seem like she was quite so lucky.

So yeah definitely happens and is a real thing

By *orksRockerMan
over a year ago

Bradford

My drink has been spiked in the past because someone wanted me out of the way so he could chat with my wife. My balance and vision were totally out of whack and it as a really scary moment. It didn't work as we both went home very early.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"The injecting with a needle is something else for the younger ones to worry about now.

I'm having to give chapter and verse to my Daughter and friends "

I wouldn’t let her go out!

over a year ago

I’ve had it happen to me. Luckily I saw him do it so didn’t actually “get” spiked BUT I’ve also had it where I did get the effects. My friends were so concerned I wasn’t acting myself. I was sweating profusely, incoherent, unable to walk, slurring, completely “wasted” my friend managed to put myself in the recovery position at home and kept an eye, I don’t remember any of it. I just remember being at the club and then face planting the floor outside my flat when we got back coz it hurt and then waking up the next day shivering and cold like on a “come down”. Was awful. Luckily I was with friends and they stayed with me.

Can I just point out that this doesn’t just happen to women. That serial rapist in Manchester with over 200 male victims!!

I’m glad it’s being talked about now. X

over a year ago

My friends husband is a police officer and he said its also used to steal from people and There have been cases when their house has also been robbed.

over a year ago

"My drink has been spiked in the past because someone wanted me out of the way so he could chat with my wife. My balance and vision were totally out of whack and it as a really scary moment. It didn't work as we both went home very early."

Fucking hell

over a year ago

"The injecting with a needle is something else for the younger ones to worry about now.

I wouldn’t let her go out! "

And this is the problem women cannot stay locked up. Actually I think it was last night student unions around the country held girls night in. The idea is to rase awareness and for venues to up security.

over a year ago

Kent

I wouldn’t let her go out! "

That’s not the solution though, women should feel safe to go out and drink or dress freely. The solution is women should watch themselves and change their attitudes…why?

Instead we as a society need to provide the rules, law enforcement education and support to allow them the freedom that let’s be honest a lot of men have most of the time.

Obviously that’s not going to happen over night but that should be one of the end goals

over a year ago

This is scary shit. I hadn't heard of the needle thing happening. I think I'd turn violent if I saw someone doing that.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/10/21 19:05:01]

over a year ago

That’s not the solution though, women should feel safe to go out and drink or dress freely. The solution is women should watch themselves and change their attitudes…why?

Instead we as a society need to provide the rules, law enforcement education and support to allow them the freedom that let’s be honest a lot of men have most of the time.

Obviously that’s not going to happen over night but that should be one of the end goals "

Spot on.

over a year ago

"This is scary shit. I hadn't heard of the needle thing happening. I think I'd turn violent if I saw someone doing that. "

Yes unfortunately it seems to be the case as there has been multiple reports around the country but particularly in Nottingham.

over a year ago

I was spiked in my 20s …. In a sports bar I went to most weeks anyways and knew the staff in . Very luckily for me as I was attempting to leave one of the bouncers saw that I was struggling and wasn’t my usual d*unk self and called an ambulance .

I was so so sick and ended up staying the night in A and E and having some rehydration . Pissed myself too - which is common .

Blood work showed the common date r*pe drug

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Yes there are some absolute scumbags out there.

over a year ago

Kent

While there is some debate how common the use of needles are (there’s conflicting reports and some suggest it’s becoming a hysteria thing though that’s usual the media’s initial response)

I worry about the hygiene factor as well if these are reused needles…that would be extra awful

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

I had my drink spiked when I was 18, I left the bar & went to the club, was my only alcoholic drink of the night.

Started feeling dizzy so got glass of water, started feeling hot so went to bathroom....don't remember even getting there, came round in hospital with my head split open from the marble sink surrounds, they told me if I weighed anymore than I did I would have died with the force...4" scar & have rarely d*unk when out since.

The injection is new & nasty method.

over a year ago

I got spiked with acid when I was 25 man it was very weird

over a year ago

not sure what happens today at nightclubs but the only spiking that went on a few years back was that mate who thought it was funny to drop an acid tab on you, never got that but i did get a hefty lump of toffee speed in a tea, we was taking pills on nights out anyway, but you don't expect it on a weekday afternoon, i don't even like the stuff used to put me to sleep, not the base wizz. and no i don't do any party drugs these days. it was the done thing back then.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"While there is some debate how common the use of needles are (there’s conflicting reports and some suggest it’s becoming a hysteria thing though that’s usual the media’s initial response)

I worry about the hygiene factor as well if these are reused needles…that would be extra awful "

There will always be media hype. Whatever it is, the media will twist it and change it to favour their own agenda. That's just fact and how media works. From the language and words they use, to interviews and out of context quotes.

But it is happening which is the main thing. There is no doubt in my mind that for some (as I said above, some) that will be using it as an excuse, there are people that have lied about being assaulted. People can and do lie, often.

There will also certainly be genuine victims of this too, so despite the above I'm not dismissing anyone that has been a victim of it but what the media says should certainly be viewed as nothing more than awareness raising than reality.

over a year ago

"While there is some debate how common the use of needles are (there’s conflicting reports and some suggest it’s becoming a hysteria thing though that’s usual the media’s initial response)

I worry about the hygiene factor as well if these are reused needles…that would be extra awful

There will always be media hype. Whatever it is, the media will twist it and change it to favour their own agenda. That's just fact and how media works. From the language and words they use, to interviews and out of context quotes.

But it is happening which is the main thing. There is no doubt in my mind that for some (as I said above, some) that will be using it as an excuse, there are people that have lied about being assaulted. People can and do lie, often.

There will also certainly be genuine victims of this too, so despite the above I'm not dismissing anyone that has been a victim of it but what the media says should certainly be viewed as nothing more than awareness raising than reality. "

There are countless women that have come through to tell their stories and they should never be dismissed or passed off as media hype we only know about these things because the media reports it.

By *urora1912Woman
over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

My drink got spiked at my local pub.

I'm pretty sure I know who did it as he wouldn't leave me alone that night

Kept groping me and he got kicked out of the pub for it in the end.

Luckily I wasn't going home alone, but I was very ill that night

over a year ago

Glad I only go to raves and nobody would waste their drugs on anyone else there.

over a year ago

Aside from the typical reasons why people do it I'm sure there's alot that do it "just for fun" not realising how dangerous it is even if you're with the right people.

over a year ago

I went to a festival about ten years ago, I don't drink alcohol or take drugs and was quite happy with my lemonade on the Friday night, I woke up on Sunday. Had absolutely no memory of anything and my poor friend stayed right me the entire weekend, helping me throw up and get some fluids into me.

I still have no idea how it got in my drink because it was absolutely pouring down so didn't want to put my drink anywhere.

It's really scary how easily some people find a way to do it.

over a year ago

And this is the problem women cannot stay locked up. Actually I think it was last night student unions around the country held girls night in. The idea is to rase awareness and for venues to up security. "

Yes I have mentioned to stay in and party amongst friends - but she's 20, what can I do, but give her some advice and be aware, stay close to friends.

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Absolute disgracefully behaviour

By *r Rubba LoverMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I've been spiked a number of times ..

Best way to protect a drink is have it in a bottle with a lid you can screw on or keep your thumb over the neck and never accept a gulp of someone else's drink.

As for the injections.... Surely club security would find a syringe on a search if they do it right?

It shouldn't even get in the place..

By *wales_hotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff ish / PDI early Nov

The law needs to jump all over the latest needle attacks and make the punishments suitably bad enough that it dissuades others! As parents of young girls, this terrifies us!

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Had my drink spiked at a swingers club quite a few years ago, put us off going for a very very long time I’m a lightweight with drink let alone any kind of drug so I ended up passing out against a toilet door, luckily it was one where you could climb over the top so I could be rescued.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I was spiked in my teens - it's not a new phenomenon.

I was spiked in 2011 and I had a guy try to spike me in 2018 (thankfully the bar staff noticed what he was doing).

In my teens I was assaulted, in 2018 I suspect that was the motive. 2011 I think it was an attempted mugging but thankfully my friends knew something was going on and hustled me out of the club.

So yes, people do go out with the intention of spiking for a variety of reasons.

over a year ago

I can't comprehend why anyone would want to hammer you?

But in answer to your question, there is a broad definition of spiking. Getting someone a double rather than a single is spiking. As is adding drugs that render a person unconscious.

The recent development is now injecting people. Mainly because most people bars and staff have wisened up to the idea of protecting your drink.

My advice to all

1) watch your drink or have someone you trust watch your drink.

2) don't drink the last part of your drink. Sounds mad but here's the logic. Most toxins sink to the bottom of the glass

3) trust hour instinct. Any doubt at all leave.

Wetherspoon have an ask for Angela. At the bar which alerts staff to an issue.

over a year ago

I can't comprehend why anyone would want to hammer you?

But in answer to your question, there is a broad definition of spiking. Getting someone a double rather than a single is spiking. As is adding drugs that render a person unconscious.

The recent development is now injecting people. Mainly because most people bars and staff have wisened up to the idea of protecting your drink.

My advice to all

1) watch your drink or have someone you trust watch your drink.

2) don't drink the last part of your drink. Sounds mad but here's the logic. Most toxins sink to the bottom of the glass

3) trust hour instinct. Any doubt at all leave.

Wetherspoon have an ask for Angela. At the bar which alerts staff to an issue.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Spiking absolutely, definitely happens. I've had to help with the aftermath more times than I want to remember over the years.

The needle thing... I'm less than convinced. Sure, people being assaulted with needles definitely happens, and it's awful.

However, successfully getting a needle into someone long enough to inject them with enough of a substance for it to have an effect, and somehow pulling it off without anyone noticing? I don't think that's practical. I'm going to need to see some more evidence.

There was a good article on Vice about the hysteria aspects of this. It's called 'Here's What We Know About Reports of Women Being "Spiked With Needles" in UK Clubs'.

Post new Message to Thread