Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Triggers

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A lot of movies and TV programmes come with trigger warnings these days, some rightly so.

How easily triggered are you and would you know if you were triggered?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm not easily triggered and usually it's by really unimportant things. I'm fortunate enough to have lived a life without too many dreadful things happening.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Certain aisles in the supermarket trigger me.

over a year ago

The box sets of Only Fools and Horses come with a warning of Triggers.

over a year ago

Doing the self scan in supermarkets,and it doest work when you go to pay so you have to do it all again

over a year ago

Not easily triggered but I don't like talk of baby loss, child abuse or emotional blckmail.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

On fab, there's nothing that quite triggers people than a McDonalds thread.

I usually know what I'm getting into when I watch something on TV so don't feel I need a warning. Nothing really triggers me as such, there are difficult topics of course, but I don't let film and tv affect me that much.

over a year ago

If you're triggered, you will know about it! It's a very immediate emotional response that can be overwhelming. I'm triggered by weird things relating to some emotional abuse. I don't expect to be catered for - it's just life.

over a year ago

"If you're triggered, you will know about it! It's a very immediate emotional response that can be overwhelming. I'm triggered by weird things relating to some emotional abuse. I don't expect to be catered for - it's just life. "

I agree with this. Although there are some things that are fare to come with a warning. Like anything in life, about balance.

More importantly though,I'm sorry that you have suffered abuse. x

over a year ago

"If you're triggered, you will know about it! It's a very immediate emotional response that can be overwhelming. I'm triggered by weird things relating to some emotional abuse. I don't expect to be catered for - it's just life.

I agree with this. Although there are some things that are fare to come with a warning. Like anything in life, about balance.

More importantly though,I'm sorry that you have suffered abuse. x"

Thank you And yes I also think that some content should come with a trigger warning. For many people though, it's just impossible to know when it might happen.

over a year ago

"If you're triggered, you will know about it! It's a very immediate emotional response that can be overwhelming. I'm triggered by weird things relating to some emotional abuse. I don't expect to be catered for - it's just life. "

Hope you can avoid those things.

over a year ago

"If you're triggered, you will know about it! It's a very immediate emotional response that can be overwhelming. I'm triggered by weird things relating to some emotional abuse. I don't expect to be catered for - it's just life.

Hope you can avoid those things.

"

Thank you. Avoiding a certain person helps!!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I can be by raised/angry male voices. A bit of a freeze/flight response.

over a year ago

"Certain aisles in the supermarket trigger me. "

Not sure if this sounds like I was taking the piss but I wasnt.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’m adult enough to not need a trigger warning. If I don’t like something I can just pull up my big boy pants and turn it off

I’m not easily triggered either so that helps. Being “triggered” is the new “offended”. It’s just a snazzy new way to say “I don’t like/agree with what your saying and I want you to stop”.

over a year ago

"I can be by raised/angry male voices. A bit of a freeze/flight response. "

Oh I can absolutely see that would have an immediate effect on you

over a year ago

"Certain aisles in the supermarket trigger me. "

Does that make it easier to work around if you know it might happen?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Very specific and trauma related. TW always appreciated so I don't have to fight off a dissociative state.

over a year ago

"Very specific and trauma related. TW always appreciated so I don't have to fight off a dissociative state."

I'm sorry to hear it. Glad the trigger warnings help.

over a year ago

"I’m adult enough to not need a trigger warning. If I don’t like something I can just pull up my big boy pants and turn it off

I’m not easily triggered either so that helps. Being “triggered” is the new “offended”. It’s just a snazzy new way to say “I don’t like/agree with what your saying and I want you to stop”."

It really isn’t.

Being triggered is a part of life, and it’s a cue, you can look into what has triggered you and learn from it. If you’re burying your triggers, you’re just stuffing them down and denying them, which isn’t healthy.

I don’t even necessarily tell people I’m triggered, but I can learn from it.

over a year ago

"I’m adult enough to not need a trigger warning. If I don’t like something I can just pull up my big boy pants and turn it off

I’m not easily triggered either so that helps. Being “triggered” is the new “offended”. It’s just a snazzy new way to say “I don’t like/agree with what your saying and I want you to stop”.

It really isn’t.

Being triggered is a part of life, and it’s a cue, you can look into what has triggered you and learn from it. If you’re burying your triggers, you’re just stuffing them down and denying them, which isn’t healthy.

I don’t even necessarily tell people I’m triggered, but I can learn from it. "

And big boy/girl pants is such a toxic way to look at things

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

I’m not easily triggered either so that helps. Being “triggered” is the new “offended”. It’s just a snazzy new way to say “I don’t like/agree with what your saying and I want you to stop”."

That’s absolute rubbish. If you have none you’re very lucky but how dare you dismiss something that’s bloody crippling to others!!!!

over a year ago

It's great you're not easily triggered, as for the rest of your comment WTF?!

over a year ago

I've definitely appreciated TW at times, if I've come across something I wasn't expecting I'll deal with it as best as I can at the time depending on what it is.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Very specific and trauma related. TW always appreciated so I don't have to fight off a dissociative state.

I'm sorry to hear it. Glad the trigger warnings help. "

Thanks. It's one of those, I can cope, just warn me so I can put the right stuff in place.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

There are some things that are triggers for me, but thankfully they aren't things that come up often.

Most TWs (in fact I think probably all TWs) are for things that thankfully don't provoke a response in me, but it's no harm to me to have the warnings there if they help someone else to avoid something they'll find difficult.

over a year ago

I wouldn't say I'm easily triggered, but people who are small minded really boil my piss and can switch my mood quickly. I'm rarely triggered by a TV show or movie though, more so real people and interactions.

over a year ago

Is trauma warning a better way of saying it ?

Being reminded of a past experience isn't something that everyone can just shrug off, at least not without help.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Is trauma warning a better way of saying it ?

Being reminded of a past experience isn't something that everyone can just shrug off, at least not without help. "

In psych speak, a trigger is something that can set off your trauma.

It's been appropriated into general culture, but stuff happens.

When I say trigger, I mean, like, the PTSD style reaction, not getting pissed off

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Nothing actually triggers me. Nothing that would require a warning before hand at least I can think of.

I'm generally really good at compartmentalising and can separate things as best I can. Sometimes it's harder than others.

over a year ago

Being reminded of a past experience isn't something that everyone can just shrug off, at least not without help.

When I say trigger, I mean, like, the PTSD style reaction, not getting pissed off "

absolutely. Was just thinking trauma warning is harder to be misused.

Not that I've heard TW be used in a "I disagree with you" sense.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When I say trigger, I mean, like, the PTSD style reaction, not getting pissed off absolutely. Was just thinking trauma warning is harder to be misused.

Not that I've heard TW be used in a "I disagree with you" sense. "

Oh I think anything will be misused, unfortunately.

I appreciate the warning, and anyone who's too sensitive to scroll on by can go jump

over a year ago

When I say trigger, I mean, like, the PTSD style reaction, not getting pissed off absolutely. Was just thinking trauma warning is harder to be misused.

I appreciate the warning, and anyone who's too sensitive to scroll on by can go jump "

I really don't see why it's something for those who don't need trigger/trauma warnings to be bothered about. If anything - be grateful you don't have any trauma!!

over a year ago

I appreciate the warning, and anyone who's too sensitive to scroll on by can go jump "

Is it being too sensitive though? Everyone’s trigger is different, and valid to them surely?

over a year ago

Not that I've heard TW be used in a "I disagree with you" sense. "

I guess the word trigger has become quite overused and many people don't understand what it means.

over a year ago

"Nothing actually triggers me. Nothing that would require a warning before hand at least I can think of.

I'm generally really good at compartmentalising and can separate things as best I can. Sometimes it's harder than others. "

Is that because you've been lucky enough to not suffer any trauma, or it's a long time ago?

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I guess the word trigger has become quite overused and many people don't understand what it means. "

Indeed. This and a fair few words have become so mainstream and overused that it's initial use is almost worthless.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I appreciate the warning, and anyone who's too sensitive to scroll on by can go jump

Is it being too sensitive though? Everyone’s trigger is different, and valid to them surely?"

I don't think you get to decide that you must be shielded from other people's disability workarounds. And - could be wrong - I've never seen evidence of trigger warnings ever genuinely triggering people, in the official sense. Just annoying them.

People's need for a disability accommodation trumps.

over a year ago

Is it being too sensitive though? Everyone’s trigger is different, and valid to them surely?

I don't think you get to decide that you must be shielded from other people's disability workarounds. And - could be wrong - I've never seen evidence of trigger warnings ever genuinely triggering people, in the official sense. Just annoying them.

People's need for a disability accommodation trumps."

Of course. Always.

Post new Message to Thread