Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you haggle

Jump to newest

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Morning all love to haggle if you think you are in with a chance . When buying cars is always a favourite of mine. Are you a haggler

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Last time we bought a car, yes! I used a little bit of flirty charm

I'm not usually a haggler though, I like to just find something I like, buy it and leave.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Definitely with larger purchases...I work in sales so I'm fully aware of how much margin there is to play with. Also that timing and market conditions can increase your chances of getting a better discount

over a year ago

I always ask if there’s any wiggle room on the price and gauge their reaction. If it’s clear they’re not willing to budge I just accept it

By *azzuMan
over a year ago

belfast

My dad is handy and anytime he buys materials or things for him to mess about with on retirement he's always haggling, loves it even just a few quid off something on gumtree

I'm not as brash as him but I do enjoy it a bit more these days. Favourite haggling spree was at the Bangkok markets in Thailand. Spent half the day trying to get cheap knockdown goods at rock bottom prices once I realised the stalk owners could be pushed as in their eyes they were robbing tourists already so would knock quite a bit off for a sale and still get a profit. Spent ages getting a guy down 10000 bhat for handbag and it equated to about a 5er once I worked it out later. Great fun tho

over a year ago

oh yes the car i have now took me three days of haggling it was a few days before the first lockdown so i got a very nice price on it in the end, cash is still king.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I'm a Marvelous Hagler

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Definitely with larger purchases...I work in sales so I'm fully aware of how much margin there is to play with. Also that timing and market conditions can increase your chances of getting a better discount "
Hi I always wonder what sort of percentage in profit a seller can go to or in sales is there a cut off where it is not viable

By *ig_eric_tionMan
over a year ago

IPSWICH

I do haggle. In some cases it's expected.

I'm also on the receiving end of haggling. Some people don't realise you need to make a living.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"My dad is handy and anytime he buys materials or things for him to mess about with on retirement he's always haggling, loves it even just a few quid off something on gumtree

I'm not as brash as him but I do enjoy it a bit more these days. Favourite haggling spree was at the Bangkok markets in Thailand. Spent half the day trying to get cheap knockdown goods at rock bottom prices once I realised the stalk owners could be pushed as in their eyes they were robbing tourists already so would knock quite a bit off for a sale and still get a profit. Spent ages getting a guy down 10000 bhat for handbag and it equated to about a 5er once I worked it out later. Great fun tho "

over a year ago

Other than food shopping I always haggle to get discounts and free stuff. It's a fine art that works wonders. I rarely pay full price for anything.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

You just have to be either prepared to pay full price or walk away at the end of a discussion.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"oh yes the car i have now took me three days of haggling it was a few days before the first lockdown so i got a very nice price on it in the end, cash is still king. "
agree cash is king

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"I'm a Marvelous Hagler "
brilliant

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

Show them the readies and if they say there’s no room to haggle , walk away , surprising how quick they change their minds

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

It depends on the item and if it's new or used...for a used car I'd go straight in for a minimum of 15% and gague their reaction, more likely to get it close to month, quarter or year end if you point out that you want to do the deal quickly, so they can get it in to hit their target.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Show them the readies and if they say there’s no room to haggle , walk away , surprising how quick they change their minds "
true as said earlier cash is king. Having said that doing a cash deal is not as easy as years ago

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"It depends on the item and if it's new or used...for a used car I'd go straight in for a minimum of 15% and gague their reaction, more likely to get it close to month, quarter or year end if you point out that you want to do the deal quickly, so they can get it in to hit their target. "
great insight ta very much x

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Morning all love to haggle if you think you are in with a chance . When buying cars is always a favourite of mine. Are you a haggler

"

Depends on what I am buying and who I am buying it from.

If I am eating significantly into the profit margin of someone who is providing me a good service, then no, I don’t feel comfortable pinching them. They deserve to earn a decent living for providing a good reliable service.

But with bigger items, bigger providers, very profitable corporations, absolutely.

And I would only haggle if the amount saved actually mattered to me.

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

"oh yes the car i have now took me three days of haggling it was a few days before the first lockdown so i got a very nice price on it in the end, cash is still king. "

In car sales, cash is not king! (In my dark past I’ve worked there) Why? Because by paying cash, your taking a potential profit channel away from the dealer.

“Cash” is a subjective term also. Are you referring to cash you’ve saved up, or cash you’ve borrowed else where? If it’s borrowed cash, you may not be as savvy as you think, and might not be getting the best deal you could get.

Of course it depends how much you’re spending and how long you plan to keep the car, but in general I wouldn’t sink actual owned cash into a car to use for a few years.

Profit levels, margins, front and back end bonuses, incentives and so on make things foggy, but cars can be sold at loss on the actual unit, but still indirectly make a profit for the dealer.

It’s about knowing what can and can’t be done, and timing is everything!

over a year ago

I am waiting or a well known national car dealer to come back and accept my ofer on a car they have on their orcourt local to me.

Its priced at 23K its book value is 21.5K and i have ofered 19K cash no trade in no extended warranty, maintenance etc wanted on it.

they have had the car around 5 months

we shall see

over a year ago

"oh yes the car i have now took me three days of haggling it was a few days before the first lockdown so i got a very nice price on it in the end, cash is still king.

In car sales, cash is not king! (In my dark past I’ve worked there) Why? Because by paying cash, your taking a potential profit channel away from the dealer.

“Cash” is a subjective term also. Are you referring to cash you’ve saved up, or cash you’ve borrowed else where? If it’s borrowed cash, you may not be as savvy as you think, and might not be getting the best deal you could get.

Of course it depends how much you’re spending and how long you plan to keep the car, but in general I wouldn’t sink actual owned cash into a car to use for a few years.

Profit levels, margins, front and back end bonuses, incentives and so on make things foggy, but cars can be sold at loss on the actual unit, but still indirectly make a profit for the dealer.

It’s about knowing what can and can’t be done, and timing is everything!"

I didn't borrow the money, came into a chunk of cash out the blue so spent it wisely, i had a bigger problem due to not taking the warranty they sell most of the cars on HP tried to finance me the warranty, yeah right.

over a year ago

Yes, everything apart from paying for labour (i find that Disrespectful) and dont with food. Everything else i do and save a fortune

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

"

Its priced at 23K its book value is 21.5K and i have ofered 19K cash no trade in no extended warranty, maintenance etc wanted on it.

"

Windscreen prices and book values (what book, what age, mileage, condition, etc?) are often irrelevant. It’s market forces. At five months they will want it gone.

Here’s a tip… put the details into webuyanycar and get a price. It will give you a starting point.

Lack of trade in and cash buyer and two profit areas are gone already.

over a year ago

I despite haggling and I had some boyfriends or even my dad, try haggle sometimes … and it makes me SOOO fucking uncomfortable I’d walk out the room

It gives me BAD icksss

over a year ago

“Nick the Greek: Dunno. Seems expensive.

Tom: Seems? Well, this seems to be a complete waste of my time. That, my friend, is 900 nicker in any store you’re lucky enough to find one in. And you’re haggling over 200 pound? What school of finance did you come from Nick? “It’s a deal, it’s a steal, it’s the Sale of the fucking Century!” In fact, fuck it Nick, I think I’ll keep it!

Nick the Greek: All right all right, keep your Alans on!

[Peels off notes from his wad]

Nick the Greek: Here’s a ton.

Tom, Eddie: Jesus Christ!

Eddie: You could c hoke a dozen donkeys on that! And you’re haggling over one hundred pound? What’re you doing when you’re not buying stereos Nick? Finance revolutions?

Nick the Greek: 100 pound is still 100 pound.

Tom: Not when the price is 200 pound it ain’t! And certainly not when you’ve got Liberia’s deficit in your skyrocket. Tighter than a duck’s butt you are. Now, lemme feel the fibre of your fabric.”

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"oh yes the car i have now took me three days of haggling it was a few days before the first lockdown so i got a very nice price on it in the end, cash is still king.

It’s about knowing what can and can’t be done, and timing is everything!"

right is that why they try and push there finance packages is that where money can be made ie off the finance companies

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I sell vehicle parts for a living and people always haggle with me.

If they are pleasant nice friendly people they get a better chance than arrogant show offs or know it alls.

My trick is to keep a £10 note in my pocket and if someone is pushing too much I'll pull the £10 note out and offer it to them.

It stops them in their tracks and the look of puzzlement on their faces is great. I then say " take it as I'll be better off by giving you a tenner then selling at that price"

It always works, they either pay the full amount or don't buy it.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Haggling just like being able to sell stuff is a skill.

In Thailand you get a lot of it and Europeans are the worst. It’s not haggling it’s trying to bully someone to sell something at a loss. Often they’re shouting at the guy, waving their money in his face or threatening to walk away (something they often do and nobody is chasing after them). They know their lowest price and the more you’re being a prick the less likely you’ll get to that price.

I have always haggled (in the UK or abroad) in a friendly way, plenty of smiling and jokes. The more they like you the more chance you’ll achieve your goal of getting their lowest price. I have never paid the full asking price for a motorbike or car, even recently got a full tank and mats. It’s not rocket science it’s just good manners and yes, walk away if they won’t budge but do it nicely.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"I sell vehicle parts for a living and people always haggle with me.

If they are pleasant nice friendly people they get a better chance than arrogant show offs or know it alls.

My trick is to keep a £10 note in my pocket and if someone is pushing too much I'll pull the £10 note out and offer it to them.

It stops them in their tracks and the look of puzzlement on their faces is great. I then say " take it as I'll be better off by giving you a tenner then selling at that price"

It always works, they either pay the full amount or don't buy it. "

a true sales person at work good ploy though

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Haggling just like being able to sell stuff is a skill.

In Thailand you get a lot of it and Europeans are the worst. It’s not haggling it’s trying to bully someone to sell something at a loss. Often they’re shouting at the guy, waving their money in his face or threatening to walk away (something they often do and nobody is chasing after them). They know their lowest price and the more you’re being a prick the less likely you’ll get to that price.

I have always haggled (in the UK or abroad) in a friendly way, plenty of smiling and jokes. The more they like you the more chance you’ll achieve your goal of getting their lowest price. I have never paid the full asking price for a motorbike or car, even recently got a full tank and mats. It’s not rocket science it’s just good manners and yes, walk away if they won’t budge but do it nicely. "

very true if you think you have had a bit of a deal does make you feel good

over a year ago

I’m not the best no - especially with cars … I’d mostly leave it to Mr and try to look nonchalant when secretly squealing inside over the prospect of a new car

over a year ago

"

Windscreen prices and book values (what book, what age, mileage, condition, etc?) are often irrelevant. It’s market forces. At five months they will want it gone.

Here’s a tip… put the details into webuyanycar and get a price. It will give you a starting point.

Lack of trade in and cash buyer and two profit areas are gone already."

I did research the car price online before making the offer on my second visit. as for the trade in my car is 17 years old. its done. if i got £50 or it it would be a good deal

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"I’m not the best no - especially with cars … I’d mostly leave it to Mr and try to look nonchalant when secretly squealing inside over the prospect of a new car "
good answer

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

"right is that why they try and push there finance packages is that where money can be made ie off the finance companies "

In car sales, commission is paid. So, a finance company will pay the dealer a commission for selling the finance. I.e, selling the money. So a dealer can make money on finance. (The most commission I ever generated from a single deal was £20k, with that split £10k on car, and £10k finance) Usually…

With new cars from main dealerships, the manufacturer finance packages are primarily there to move new cars. Rates are often lower, sometimes zero, and can come with customer incentives, such as deposit contributions, etc. get a true zero percent deal with deposit contribution and your getting another discount! The finance company is being paid by the manufacturer to facilitate the deal.

Sometimes, your credit history or profile won’t enable manufacturers finance and your being put to third party lenders, or you’re not buying from a main dealership. Here, rates tend to be higher and, in some cases, the dealer has to pay the finance company to take the proposed customer. Here, that charge is usually taken out of the margin in the deal.

Worth nothing though, using a funding scheme rather than a personal loan gives you significantly enhanced consumer protection. Also note that when the numbers get big, like £30k and above, getting a personal loan often requires security… unlike dealer finance, where the car is the security.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"right is that why they try and push there finance packages is that where money can be made ie off the finance companies

In car sales, commission is paid. So, a finance company will pay the dealer a commission for selling the finance. I.e, selling the money. So a dealer can make money on finance. (The most commission I ever generated from a single deal was £20k, with that split £10k on car, and £10k finance) Usually…

With new cars from main dealerships, the manufacturer finance packages are primarily there to move new cars. Rates are often lower, sometimes zero, and can come with customer incentives, such as deposit contributions, etc. get a true zero percent deal with deposit contribution and your getting another discount! The finance company is being paid by the manufacturer to facilitate the deal.

Sometimes, your credit history or profile won’t enable manufacturers finance and your being put to third party lenders, or you’re not buying from a main dealership. Here, rates tend to be higher and, in some cases, the dealer has to pay the finance company to take the proposed customer. Here, that charge is usually taken out of the margin in the deal.

Worth nothing though, using a funding scheme rather than a personal loan gives you significantly enhanced consumer protection. Also note that when the numbers get big, like £30k and above, getting a personal loan often requires security… unlike dealer finance, where the car is the security. "

fantastic knowledge top of your game. Thanks for explanation

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I love to haggle so much I do it for a living.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

One of the cars I bought I haggled a huge chunk off within the first few minutes. Then I spent 3hrs haggling the last £500 off the price. They way I see it is offer a low price. If it too low and there is no profit they'll let you walk away. If they don't let you walk away there's more to be sqeezed. Over that 3 hrs they never let me walk away so I stuck at my price. After loads of back and forth with the manager, being told the price was just not possible eventually I wore them down and they sold it at the price I wanted. They are still happy because they would never sell at a loss and I was happy because I got a good price. 3 hrs to save £500 may seem a bit extreme but when you work it out as an hourly rate it was well worth my time and energy.

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

"They are still happy because they would never sell at a loss and I was happy because I got a good price."

New cars are often sold at a loss, on a per unit basis. The profit comes with extras (sometimes finance, protection, dealer extras, etc) or more importantly, hitting agreed targets with manufacturers. It’s a numbers game.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

"One of the cars I bought I haggled a huge chunk off within the first few minutes. Then I spent 3hrs haggling the last £500 off the price. They way I see it is offer a low price. If it too low and there is no profit they'll let you walk away. If they don't let you walk away there's more to be sqeezed. Over that 3 hrs they never let me walk away so I stuck at my price. After loads of back and forth with the manager, being told the price was just not possible eventually I wore them down and they sold it at the price I wanted. They are still happy because they would never sell at a loss and I was happy because I got a good price. 3 hrs to save £500 may seem a bit extreme but when you work it out as an hourly rate it was well worth my time and energy."

Just to add it was a 6 year old part ex round the back of a new car dealership. Paid cash. So maybe that's partly why they were so resistant on the last £500. But I bet they never gave near what it was worth if sold direct on the market so bet they fancied a little profit in it rather than send to auction house. It was probably the best, most top of the range car I've ever bought to date.

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

"Just to add it was a 6 year old part ex round the back of a new car dealership. Paid cash. So maybe that's partly why they were so resistant on the last £500. But I bet they never gave near what it was worth if sold direct on the market so bet they fancied a little profit in it rather than send to auction house. It was probably the best, most top of the range car I've ever bought to date. "

Every franchised dealer will have a “manufactures approved used car program” where the used cars will conform with and be prepared to a certain standard. Part of the qualification will of course be age, mileage and condition. Also, the brand itself… “prestige” dealerships tend to stick with their representing brand only. So there are lots of reasons why a a car goes to auction or sold on into the trade. But even going to auction the dealer will have expectations of a profit.

I once sold a V10 VW Touareg and my manger was sweating about it coming back for work! Made it very clear… this is being sold on trade terms!

Post new Message to Thread