Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

We were warned but its still a shock

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Our duel fuel supplied went belly up a few months ago.

We were on fixed tariffs for 2 years.

Our duel fuel agreement was transferred to one of the major suppliers.

They honoured the agreement until it cam to an end a few weeks ago.

Got a letter this morning.

We have decided not to go fixed.

The deemed/variable aomunt per month is close to 250 quid as opposed to the 130 we were paying.

I've quickly checked and the anual useage theyve quoted appears to be correct.

My sibbling told me the other day other than fixed rates for 1/2 years which are higher monthly amounts no one is doing real variations on the variable rates.

It is a shock

We have TRV those things on rads that control temps on indviual rads will turn those down in the hall/porch/alding/conservtory etc etc.

so be prepared if you've been on fixed rartes for 2/3 years and yours is coming to an end

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

That's a huge jump. We're fixed until the middle of next year but anticipate a chilly winter 22/23 due to high fuel costs.

I wonder if we could keep warm by rubbing two insulate Britain protestors together.

NB that was a joke.

over a year ago

@Nicecouple.

We are banking on fuel prices/rates will become lower over the next 6 months and we will then go for a fix.

TBH, still shocked and me and my wife feel for thoe when tv news media was say

"its going to be heat or eat during winter for many this winter" -

We, ie me and mrs are lucky that though our income is massively down and low since we took very early retirement approx 7/8 years ago we still have some savings and shares we are falling back on untill we get our state pensions in a few years time - but are considering going back to work pt one/2 days a week for a few hours.

over a year ago

Re the eco warriors, lol, I know you are joking - they have a point but going about the wrong way.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Shame that there was such an opposition to fracking. Maybe we wouldn’t be in this mess now.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We'll look at prices when our current fixed price runs out and hopefully they will have dropped.

I'm a bit concerned for my parents. My mum has multiple health problems and needs to be warm at all times, she feels the cold badly. Their heating is on 24/7. My dad has had coal delivered to have open fires but at nearly 95 I worry about him maintaining fires and carrying coal.

They have received their winter fuel allowance which will help of course

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Re the eco warriors, lol, I know you are joking - they have a point but going about the wrong way."

I agree

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It is concerning.

Especially seeing and hearing some of the real world figures that people are starting to experience.

Luckily we’re tied to a fixed rate until late next year and my hope is that prices will have settled before then.

I have however been toying with the idea of installing a log burner for years now and this might be the push I need to go for it.

My job will always supply plentiful amounts of free fuel to burn but our new build house isn’t going to be simple for a flue installation.

It’s going further up my to do list for next summer.

over a year ago

Are there any here that are coming off soon or come of fixed tariffs recent couple of months and did you go fixed again?

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"Are there any here that are coming off soon or come of fixed tariffs recent couple of months and did you go fixed again?

"

If you're looking to fix you'll probably find it more expensive than going for the default price-capped variable tariff right now.

I'm fortunate enough to have 14 months left on my fix, but I was just looking on the Martin Lewis Cheap Energy Club website to see what was available and this is the warning on their home page:

Emergency energy crisis update - switching will not work for most people.

The energy market is in extreme crisis. Wholesale gas prices (those firms pay) have risen to many times the level of last year. Much of the UK's electricity is generated by gas too. This means both gas and electricity prices for consumers have rocketed to previously unimaginable levels. For energy switching, the situation is catastrophic. Many energy firms have gone bust, and more are almost certain to follow. There are no decent tariffs left to switch to - in fact, there are few tariffs at all for new customers. Feel free to do a comparison, but expect to see that you will pay more to switch. In some cases, such as if you want a very green tariff or you want to lock into a fix for certainty, you may feel it's worth it. But if you're looking to cut bills now, that's unlikely to happen and you would be better off sticking with a default price-capped tariff.

over a year ago

You know things are bad when Uswitch are putting out an advert to say just stick where you are in the short term and that to look at them again when things settle down as there are no real deals at the moment

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

We're fortunate to be fixed until March and don't use a great deal of gas through the summer so only have to worry about the electric bills until October time. Been considering solar to aid heating the water which would eliminate almost all gas usage March to October other than the hob which I could soon change out to electric if we really wanted

By *xiled BikerMan
over a year ago

YORK AREA

I am due to finish end of next month and was quoted £357 for a contract, from £120 a month, I will just come out of contract and wait and see what happens and make use of the price cap.

over a year ago

I'm worried, to be honest. I was going to invest in a bioethanol fire but might have to wait until next year.

over a year ago

"Shame that there was such an opposition to fracking. Maybe we wouldn’t be in this mess now."

Well said.

over a year ago

My fixed term comes to an end in December, I will go onto their standard variable rate.

It's the better option for me, I'm fortunate that I've always over payed so I end up getting a refund every year.

Next year I won't get my refund, I can live with that until things get better

over a year ago

Bought a few bags of coal and have a supply of dried logs

And invested in a bio ethanol fire for the other room.

over a year ago

Fuel prices are rising. There are ways to reduce your outgoings per month. Try to find companies that do electricity, gas, mobile, broadband and insurance in one bill. There are even companies out there that if you buy enough products give discounts such as store discounts. Consolidate your bill and where one goes up other parts stay lower. These companies I think are happy to reduce the profit on some to make more profit on a deal.

over a year ago

"Shame that there was such an opposition to fracking. Maybe we wouldn’t be in this mess now."

It's still out there if you look. Just been pushed underground.

over a year ago

Ours is £260 a month but we have a 32amp hot tub. The costs are crippling

Post new Message to Thread